• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I feel kind of bad how little attention is ever given to Demise from Skyward Sword. I would think he’d be one of the most important villains in the series, seeing as he’s the origin of Ganon but he wasn’t even in Hyrule Warriors.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I feel kind of bad how little attention is ever given to Demise from Skyward Sword. I would think he’d be one of the most important villains in the series, seeing as he’s the origin of Ganon but he wasn’t even in Hyrule Warriors.
I mean, he could maybe work as a Ganondorf Echo...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I mean, he could maybe work as a Ganondorf Echo...
Yeah, I could see that working. I might change a move or two to incorporate his lightning attacks but he could otherwise work fine as an echo.

Ideally, I’d love to see a Ganondorf revamp that takes moveset inspiration from his various incarnations from throughout the series. I think classic pig Ganon and his appearance in Ocarina of Time have the most interesting attacks to pull from as far as his mainline appearances go but he could take some inspiration from his two sets in Hyrule Warriors as well. With this approach, Demise could be a 1-1 echo or even an alt costume since they could pull from Demise as well for moveset inspiration.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I know Demise is open to a lot of interpretation, but I really don't think he's supposed to be the "origin of Ganon", just the origin of the monsters. And frankly, interpreting him as the "origin of Ganon" makes the latter much less compelling.

Also, he's a one-shot character, so that dampens his chances greatly. There's the whole fact that Zelda is treated as a "fixed cast" series in Smash when in reality it's in a weird middle ground between "fixed cast" and "rotating cast". There's pretty much no perfect way to handle the series in Smash since they're either ignoring a lot of the cast or giving them too much attention.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I know Demise is open to a lot of interpretation, but I really don't think he's supposed to be the "origin of Ganon", just the origin of the monsters. And frankly, interpreting him as the "origin of Ganon" makes the latter much less compelling.

Also, he's a one-shot character, so that dampens his chances greatly. There's the whole fact that Zelda is treated as a "fixed cast" series in Smash when in reality it's in a weird middle ground between "fixed cast" and "rotating cast". There's pretty much no perfect way to handle the series in Smash since they're either ignoring a lot of the cast or giving them too much attention.
Oh, I thought it was widely believed that Demise was Ganon’s origin. I’ll admit I’m not really an expert though and I’m just going by information I’ve seen on various YouTube videos as well as watching my brother do a full play-through. I’ll admit that I could be wrong there.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with representing one off characters as playable characters in Smash as long as they’re memorable and people liked them. Limiting the roster to only recurring characters is going to eventually run out of reasonable options. We’re already seeing that with Zelda since Impa is the only character left that really fits that criteria. I’m not suggesting that Demise is necessarily the best option for another character either, just that he seemed really significant to the overall lore of the series (more-so than other one-offs).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh, I thought it was widely believed that Demise was Ganon’s origin. I’ll admit I’m not really an expert though and I’m just going by information I’ve seen on various YouTube videos as well as watching my brother do a full play-through. I’ll admit that I could be wrong there.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with representing one off characters as playable characters in Smash as long as they’re memorable and people liked them. Limiting the roster to only recurring characters is going to eventually run out of reasonable options. We’re already seeing that with Zelda since Impa is the only character left that really fits that criteria. I’m not suggesting that Demise is necessarily the best option for another character either, just that he seemed really significant to the overall lore of the series (more-so than other one-offs).
well I am an expert and I can say he is. quillion is wrong in this case

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So which Pokemon are be most likely be in the next Smash as fighters? Here are my picks
Eevee
Cinderace
Toxtricity
Urshifu
Zarude
Meowscarada
Pawmot
Koraidon (Miraidon as an echo)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So which Pokemon are be most likely be in the next Smash as fighters? Here are my picks
Eevee
Cinderace
Toxtricity
Urshifu
Zarude
Meowscarada
Pawmot
I think there's only one Gen 9 or earlier Pokemon that actually has a real chance at being in the next Smash - Scream Tail. It has the distinct advantage of being able to be an echo, on account of it essentially being Weird Jigglypuff.
1672854643695.png

Everything else... I don't know. There hasn't been a legacy Pokemon addition since Brawl, and even then it was promoting a remake. Pokemon generations release every three years, so we're almost assuredly going to be looking at Gen 10 by the time the next Smash releases. Therefore, the only real candidates will be unrevealed Gen 10 Pokemon, or perhaps a Gen 5 Pokemon if a remake releases at a favorable time. Unless situations are favorable for a last minute clone (like they were for Chrom and hypothetically would be for Screamy), I can't see them going back (unfortunately).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, I didn't even know that was a debate. It's pretty blatant...
That’s what I thought when I was watching it too. The videos I saw explained it pretty well too. My memory kind of sucks though at times so there was always the chance I was remembering wrong.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Eevee
Cinderace
Toxtricity
Urshifu
Zarude
Meowscarada
Pawmot
If S/V are still the most recent games when Smash is selecting characters:
-Whichever starter the anime decides to give the most screen time towards
-Scream Tail my beloved
-Miraidon and Koraidon
-Whoever the main legendary of the inevitable DLC is
-Eevee

If S/V isn't the most recent game when Smash is choosing stuff:
-A starter from the current generation's main game
-A starter from whatever the most recent remake/legends game is
-The mascot of the most recent game
-Eevee

The way Pokémon are selected is super boring and lame lol.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That’s what I thought when I was watching it too. The videos I saw explained it pretty well too. My memory kind of sucks though at times so there was always the chance I was remembering wrong.
well i played it, repeatedly and i have an oddly good memory for video game lore (being one of those people who understands kingdom hearts) so take it from me you had it right

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Thing about Demise is that he's overshadowed in screen time and popularity by his underling Ghirahim. Fwiw I remember reading quite a while back some theories about Demise potentially returning for TOTK, and connections of SS to TOTK in general; don't know if ppl are still on those.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Thing about Demise is that he's overshadowed in screen time and popularity by his underling Ghirahim. Fwiw I remember reading quite a while back some theories about Demise potentially returning for TOTK, and connections of SS to TOTK in general; don't know if ppl are still on those.
Yeah, Girahim definitely had more of a personality between the two and was present for a lot more despite being an underling. It’s kind of like comparing Edea in FFVIII to Ultimecia, Kuja to Necron in FFIX or Seymour in FFX to Yu Yevon. Edea, Kuja, and Seymour weren’t the final bosses of their games but I’d argue they left more of an impression overall (with the possible exception of Ultimecia thanks to Dissidia).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Demise cursed the heroes so that they would always have something evil following them.

Ganondorf is just one of these evils.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah, Girahim definitely had more of a personality between the two and was present for a lot more despite being an underling. It’s kind of like comparing Edea in FFVIII to Ultimecia, Kuja to Necron in FFIX or Seymour in FFX to Yu Yevon. Edea, Kuja, and Seymour weren’t the final bosses of their games but I’d argue they left more of an impression overall (with the possible exception of Ultimecia thanks to Dissidia).
I think Ghirahim would be a great choice for a new LoZ rep. I think the whole point in the Zelda universe is that the god's champions whatever form are instruments nonetheless and so unlike their creators cannot transcend a need for true physical form. Since we have each triforce piece represented and in Link's case 3 times lol ... Why not add Ghirahim by promotion of the assist trophy?

In fact I'd love to see every battle assist promoted.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well yu yevon has reduced to a mindless parasite so that makes sense

Demise cursed the heroes so that they would always have something evil following them.

Ganondorf is just one of these evils.
The phrase he uses is an incarnation of his hate

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Eevee
Cinderace
Toxtricity
Urshifu
Zarude
Meowscarada
Pawmot
I mean idk which one is likely but I’d go with Zoroark over all of these personally

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Eevee
Cinderace
Toxtricity
Urshifu
Zarude
Meowscarada
Pawmot
The single greatest evolution that was introduced in this generation:

DUDUNSPARCE

I don't know; I'm not very far into the game (and I missed roughly six generations so I'm not sure who's new and who's not). History indicates that it would likely be one of the starters, but for all I know, it could be (looking up the list of new Pokemon from this gen) Tinkaton, Kingambit, or Mecha Tyranitar/Iron Thorns:

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Decided to drop my somewhat predictions or rather who's likely or not for the next game
Picsart_23-01-04_21-10-47-045.jpg

Obviously not everyone in likely or decent is getting in but I don't see anyone having bad chances except for the three below. A few explanations I'll offer.

Waluigi: I know he usually is hit with the assist trophy curse, but he's still easily the most requested 1st party and Nintendo knows that. I feel it's only a matter of time till he's finally in.

Rayman: I know he's not a popular choice here but despite what naysayers wanna say, he's remained a popular choice during ultimate being one of the most requested in the west, and Nintendo allowing him to show up in Mario Rabbids 2 shows they see some significant value in him. (The game's director confirmed in interviews they had to consult with Nintendo on what they could and couldn't do and recieved lots of "No's" in the process") combine that with ubi and Nintendo being close and his only hurdle is really his Japan popularity, which even if sparks of hope doesn't change that, there's been plenty of broken rules in smash, but we'll see.

Geno: 50/50 on him. His fam demand has stayed strong for a long time, maybe one day they'll finally go "aight sure"

Master Chief: obviously one of the top requests and Microsoft is buddy buddy with Nintendo. My only thing with him is since halo is literally their system selling IP if they would be willing to play ball with letting him in (though I lean towards them being fine with it).

Isaac: hasn't been as demanded as he use to be but one of the higher 1st party requests in the grand scheme so he still has a shot. If he gets a new game it would shoot up way more.

Shovel Knight: did pretty well on the ballot back then and it's pretty notable they gave him a model for an assist trophy. Kind of my bias but I could maybe see him being a surprise pick if shovel knight games keep coming to Nintendo first.

Shantae: Did decent in the smash 4 days but has fallen off a bit since then. I know sakurai acknowledged her with the other miis as a popular pick, but a mii doesn't guarantee you're getting in next game (like we saw with smash 4) and I feel like it was partially just throwing wayforward a bone for constantly begging to have her in (was confirmed in an interview they sent the shantae pngs to Nintendo hoping for the best). Along with her being very niche in the grand scheme of things, I just don't see it.

Scorpion: very iconic but from what I understand his games aren't even sold in Japan. Could be wrong but that's hurts him a bit if so.

There's others I'm probably forgetting (forgot to add 2B and doom to likely) but that's just my 2 cents for now.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Decided to drop my somewhat predictions or rather who's likely or not for the next game
View attachment 366047
Obviously not everyone in likely or decent is getting in but I don't see anyone having bad chances except for the three below. A few explanations I'll offer.

Waluigi: I know he usually is hit with the assist trophy curse, but he's still easily the most requested 1st party and Nintendo knows that. I feel it's only a matter of time till he's finally in.

Rayman: I know he's not a popular choice here but despite what naysayers wanna say, he's remained a popular choice during ultimate being one of the most requested in the west, and Nintendo allowing him to show up in Mario Rabbids 2 shows they see some significant value in him. (The game's director confirmed in interviews they had to consult with Nintendo on what they could and couldn't do and recieved lots of "No's" in the process") combine that with ubi and Nintendo being close and his only hurdle is really his Japan popularity, which even if sparks of hope doesn't change that, there's been plenty of broken rules in smash, but we'll see.

Geno: 50/50 on him. His fam demand has stayed strong for a long time, maybe one day they'll finally go "aight sure"

Master Chief: obviously one of the top requests and Microsoft is buddy buddy with Nintendo. My only thing with him is since halo is literally their system selling IP if they would be willing to play ball with letting him in (though I lean towards them being fine with it).

Isaac: hasn't been as demanded as he use to be but one of the higher 1st party requests in the grand scheme so he still has a shot. If he gets a new game it would shoot up way more.

Shovel Knight: did pretty well on the ballot back then and it's pretty notable they gave him a model for an assist trophy. Kind of my bias but I could maybe see him being a surprise pick if shovel knight games keep coming to Nintendo first.

Shantae: Did decent in the smash 4 days but has fallen off a bit since then. I know sakurai acknowledged her with the other miis as a popular pick, but a mii doesn't guarantee you're getting in next game (like we saw with smash 4) and I feel like it was partially just throwing wayforward a bone for constantly begging to have her in (was confirmed in an interview they sent the shantae pngs to Nintendo hoping for the best). Along with her being very niche in the grand scheme of things, I just don't see it.

Scorpion: very iconic but from what I understand his games aren't even sold in Japan. Could be wrong but that's hurts him a bit if so.

There's others I'm probably forgetting (forgot to add 2B and doom to likely) but that's just my 2 cents for now.
I just want to say that there's also Halo games not being on any Nintendo consoles whereas Mortal Kombat games have been on Nintendo consoles for decades.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I just want to say that there's also Halo games not being on any Nintendo consoles whereas Mortal Kombat games have been on Nintendo consoles for decades.
Yeah if they finally add a character that's popular in the west but not the east (which they should) then I'd rate scorpion way higher with how massive mortal Kombat is.

Edit: will probably sound biased since I put Rayman in likely and he's not big I'm Japan at the moment but his games still get released there, where's sakurai even admitted that Takamaru not being released outside of Japan was one of the main reasons he excluded him as a fighter. But eh what do I know. Rules break in no set order or pattern so we'll see.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Yeah if they finally add a character that's popular in the west but not the east (which they should) then I'd rate scorpion way higher with how massive mortal Kombat is.
I'm just saying it's strange to say that Master Chief is more likely than Scorpion, even though Master Chief has like zero connection to Nintendo. I just don't think that should be overlooked.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I'm just saying it's strange to say that Master Chief is more likely than Scorpion, even though Master Chief has like zero connection to Nintendo. I just don't think that should be overlooked.
Mainly just cause there's already 2 Microsoft reps so they've negotiated characters before but I see what you're saying, could probably bump him up a notch.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Eevee
Cinderace
Toxtricity
Urshifu
Zarude
Meowscarada
Pawmot
Scream Tail, Mega Charizard X, Shadow Mewtwo :132::026:are the most likely if they want something simple that doesn’t take too much time to make

Now on the other side there are Pokémons that can be a clone of some fighters that aren’t Pokémon
:107: For :ultlittlemac:
Gardevoir for :ultrosalina::ultzelda:

I would guess Tinkaton and :133: would be likely in terms of unique Pokémon rep

There is also still demands for Grovyle from PMD but not sure if they want to finally bring PMD content to smash

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Mainly just cause there's already 2 Microsoft reps so they've negotiated characters before but I see what you're saying, could probably bump him up a notch.
Keep in mind the level of support on a Nintendo platform doesn't really matter. At least once it's there. Characters with minimal or neutral association have proven just as viable and have gotten in basically as regularly, especially when you put aside the popularity inclusions.

I think you've got Scorpion in the perfect bracket considering his games, with little exception, don't make it to Japan. At least Chief's do.

Though I would bump BWD down to decent simply because he's uniquely positioned in that he has to grapple against Sakurai's treatment of the Kirby series. Which I think should cast him as more of an uncertainty than people here treat him as.

He is more likely, even with his very limited Nintendo presence, because Japan cripples Scorpion's chances.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Though I would bump BWD down to decent simply because he's uniquely positioned in that he has to grapple against Sakurai's treatment of the Kirby series. Which I think should cast him as more of an uncertainty than people here treat him as.
Yeah you kinda right I keep forgetting how much sakurai plugs Kirby stuff from his era over anything that came after it. A damn shame too

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
View attachment 366047

Honestly I feel like Noah and Alear are likely to get skipped, much like a Paldean Pokemon, because they won't be the MC of the most recent game in their series by the point we're talking about the next Smash. Maybe if Engage becomes a breakout hit, but it kinda feels fillery

Also, I agree that a Toby Fox character is likely but I don't think it would be Sans. Frisk, Toriel, Papyrus, or any of the main characters in Deltarune feel a lot more likely.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Honestly I feel like Noah and Alear are likely to get skipped, much like a Paldean Pokemon, because they won't be the MC of the most recent game in their series by the point we're talking about the next Smash. Maybe if Engage becomes a breakout hit, but it kinda feels fillery

Also, I agree that a Toby Fox character is likely but I don't think it would be Sans. Frisk, Toriel, Papyrus, or any of the main characters in Deltarune feel a lot more likely.
Yeah I guess it's better to say I'm betting on whoever the latest Xenoblade or FE protag is

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
i honestly see indies as unlikely i think nintendo want to focus obtaining character from giant companies instead due to wider audience and keep indies as mii but i could be wrong
I think indies are gonna get in eventually. Not a lot at once and will be slow to be added like western third parties. Maybe 1 and if we're lucky 2 for the next game

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Sans seems like the smart bet. Not that it couldn't be someone else, but he's the most well known and probably going to be the most requested.

i honestly see indies as unlikely i think nintendo want to focus obtaining character from giant companies instead due to wider audience and keep indies as mii but i could be wrong
Interesting take from a Geno supporter.

Coming from a bigger company doesn't inherently make the character bigger. There are a number of indies with wider audiences than Terry, for instance.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Smash really has some predictable patterns in its character selections but I feel like every fan prediction list boils it down to "fan favorites since Smash 4" and "obligatory shill picks" when it comes to likeliness which showed itself to be an oversimplification in the past.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So there'a a rumor that Skylanders is getting a remaster collection. I wanna believe it, but apparently it came from 4chan, so... yeah.

Although, if by some miracle Spyro came to Smash, do you guys think he'd come with Skylanders content?

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Smash really has some predictable patterns in its character selections but I feel like every fan prediction list boils it down to "fan favorites since Smash 4" and "obligatory shill picks" when it comes to likeliness which showed itself to be an oversimplification in the past.
Probably shouldn't have used the word prediction but I guess my pic is more so observing talked about choices or characters with ties to the smash series already and whether they have and how likely they could be. We'll definitely have picks in the next game no one expected similar to Joker, Terry and Sephiroth.

Top Bottom