• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Personally, I could care less who they add into the game. I’ve had most of my most wanteds plus a few pipe dreams who got in. I could give a flying **** if we have more first party over third party or vice versa. Heck, the entire roster could be third party and I would be pretty cool about it. At this point, I’m just happy seeing fans of those characters happy and and see what sort of crazy magic the developers can pull off.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To avoid speaking about whichever character "deserves" inclusion more, what characters do you think are most likely to be included next Smash ?

I say , Octolings are a pretty big contender, Tom Nook, I do hope Dixie and Impa make it but am 50/50 on them... Monster Hunter am quite certain about. For some reason I see Pauline making it too. Cranky Kong for the sole reason he's gonna be in the Mario movie, and we could argue he has a chance of being "more unique" than Dixie (who could be a semi clone, even if I feel she should be unique). Spoilers guy from Metroid Dread maybe ? And honestly, if there are cuts in the Fire Emblem roster I see Dimitri and Edelgard be included, and Byleth get a sort of moveset redo.
Aside from obligatory Octolings (echo or not), new FE and new Pokémon:
  • Officer Howard
  • Ring Fit Trainee
  • MAYBE Elma if X returns to the limelight sooner than XC3, be it port or sequel, or possibly if she just plain gets more cameos
  • I’m gonna be bold and say Saki Amamiya. His AT was cut for Ultimate, the original S&P is playable officially outside Japan for the first time, we may even see a Star Successor rerelease (doubtful but I want it)
  • Advance Wars character, hoping Re-Boot Camp does well
  • Ayumi Tachibana IF Phoenix Wright doesn’t make it. I think the two may be mutually exclusive cuz their games (and possibly move sets) would have similar premises. Unless they like do cross series echoes and make Ayumi a Phoenix echo (LMAO)
  • MAYBE a Rhythm Heaven character if they can pull a rhythm mechanic off. Not too confident in that tho
  • Dixie or Dee. I think the former may be more likely personally
  • Ninjara as a Min Min echo
  • MAYBE Medusa as a Palutena echo
  • MAYBE Black Shadow as a Captain Falcon semi-clone if not echo

And for the third parties:
  • Neku Sakuraba
  • Phoenix Wright if Ayumi doesn’t happen (maybe?)
  • An indie playable character, maybe Gunvolt or Reimu
  • League of Legends character
  • EA character (Apex, Sims)
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Maybe Rayman
  • ArcSys character (most likely Sol)
  • Estelle Bright, maybe Rean Schwarzer
  • Arle Nadja
  • Another Namco character, be it a non-Lloyd Tales character like Yuri, Luke, Alphen or Shionne; KOS-MOS, Nightmare, Dark Souls character etc. yeah I’m still not confident in third party miis ever making the jump to playable. First parties are safe, obviously
  • Maybe Master Chief
  • Violet, as a Joker echo or semi clone
  • If KOS-MOS happens, maybe T-elos as an echo
  • Jeanne as a Bayonetta echo?
  • If Arle happens, Amitie, Ringo or even Tee as her Echo
  • Jin Kazama as a Kazuya semi clone or echo (if Echo, make it Ken style)
  • Just more echoes in general, first or third party

And while I’m not expecting a playable character from them I want Spike Chunsoft to get some content PERIOD

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So, to change conversation, why do you all think we haven't had a new Zelda character since Brawl? There have been lots of popular characters and tons of landmark titles since then.
I think Zelda's biggest challenge is simply that there's no leading candidate to unite behind.

Many of the franchises that people feel are/felt were underrepresented have an established order of importance in their casts, so people were/are able to agree on who the most fruitful option is/was and rally behind them. Ridley's the most reoccurring character in Metroid after Samus and the Metroids, so Metroid fans backed him. Bandana Waddle Dee is the only member of Kirby's core cast that's not playable, so Kirby fans backed him. Diddy Kong is the deuteragonist of Donkey Kong, so DK fans backed him and, once Diddy got in, they moved onto King K. Rool, the main villain.

Zelda, on the other hand, doesn't really have this. Link, Zelda, and Ganon are undoubtedly the main trio of the franchise, but they're all already in the game. After that, it's mostly a string of various one-off characters of equal importance, with a handful of minor, reoccurring faces like Tingle and Epona thrown in there. As such, support is divided and no character is really able to become a staple of the conversation and gather large swaths of requests.

Skull Kid is probably the most popular candidate, but he still has to compete with Midna, Impa, Ghirahim, the Champions, Tetra, Tingle, Ganon, a reworked Ganondorf, and a reworked Young Link in terms of gathering support. If everyone requesting those latter candidates instead decided to focus on getting, say, Skull Kid specifically in the game, he'd likely be popular enough to have a fighting chance at getting in. However, that's not what happens, so Zelda is left with a bunch of long shots rather than one solid option.

I think Zelda's best chance at a new character is to get the Final Fantasy/Castlevania treatment, where Sakurai notices that there's a general support for the series getting another character and opts to pick the character he thinks fans of that series would get the biggest kick out of.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So, to change conversation, why do you all think we haven't had a new Zelda character since Brawl? There have been lots of popular characters and tons of landmark titles since then.
The vast majority of Zelda newcomer candidates are mostly just one-off secondary characters, and I just don't think Sakurai views those types of characters as worth the effort unless they're a new lead/protagonist from a series with a rotating cast, like Fire Emblem. That, or a low effort clone, like Dark Pit or Lucina.

When you think about it, Sheik is is pretty much the closest thing we have to Midna or Ghirahim, a one-off secondary character that isn't a clone/deriative...and she's literally just Zelda. I think that says it all.

Besides those, we really have are like, Tingle and Impa. But the former is a hugely controversial character both within the fanbase and Nintendo itself (hence why he hasn't appeared in an all new mainline Zelda game since like 2004), and Impa would probably only get in as a Sheik echo anyways.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
This is going to be big one so lets do this.

Oh, boy, let's talk about this ****! This is so gloriously dumb.

First off, of ALL the potential Metroid reps. .THE EMMI? SERIOUSLY? There are so, SO many better choices, but lemme get this straight. You think that trying to incorporate a horror movie monster character as playable would work? Instead of Sylux or Rundas? Also. .Squid Sisters are just not figher characters, I'm sorry. And Taranza? Seriously, if you want a modern kirby rep, Bandana Dee and Magolor are right there! TINGLE? These just. .mostly aren't very good fighters, especially since you overlook actually good ideas for characters in favor of this bull****. As well, how are you calling the MCU a "mishmash crossover" . . .when it's Marvel Comics properties? That's. .not even logical in anyways. And yet despite you insisting we have poor variety in DLC, we got a playable third party villain, tag-in fighting game representation, 3D fighting game representation, hack-and-slash representation . .How exactly is that poor variety? Oh, yeah, it isn't.
I'm not a big Metroid fan so I used example that were recent. Even then regardless why wouldn't work? Smash could use more unique monster types character instead of the generic humans most of the time. Already mentioned Magolor. "Squid Sisters don't fight" Never played Splatoon in their life I guess. Play the campaign.

Funny you think these aren't good ideas yet think having characters from the same genres all the time is a great idea. Basically limiting the potential unique picks Smash could have.

No, nah, don't think so.

And you don't think that this'll just shift gears if the game goes to Nintendo-focused?

All those toxic people won't go away, instead it'll just shift from Master Chief/Crash to Pokemon/other series. Nintendo fans aren't some angels.
I see no problem with this.
Like the other guy, it may not vanish immediately but they say would certain mitigated them to much smaller manageable levels like Melee and Brawl. Ik Nintendo fans aren't angels. Nintendo probably has the worst fanbase of gaming.

Also referring with that first sentence and last quote, I got ask Shroob?
do you even care for Smash at all with its identity and focus as Nintendo gaming crossover to the point you wouldn't it becoming a unrecognizable mess of game similar to Mugen of just random characters?

I was already in a bad mood, but then I had to see a post like this that I had to rip apart to shreds.

For starters, I hate this mentality that the first party supremacists that third party characters "steal" spaces away from "deserving" first parties. Smash has trended towards adding third parties for a variety of reasons that I could go into, but the part that really angered me was this belief that these first party picks "deserve" support just by birthright. That sort of view is flat out dumb. People have the freedom to want and discuss whatever they want. You do not get to shut down people's desires just because you want Nabbit or Tarenza. People have shown there is a clear desire for third parties, even here where first party support is notably stronger than elsewhere online. Among the masses, very few first parties reach that Little Mac, Palu, Shulk, K Rool, or Ridley tier of discussion. If I wanted to be generous, I could name four. The fact is, while there are hundreds of Nintendo characters that you could choose from, not many of them are popular right now.
How am I stealing your freedom? Where did I say you couldn't talk about third parties. Appealing for the masses for just for sake and shallow hype culture is a falling losing strategy. Losing your identity and placement just for sake for "WOW" and "WOAH" is a dangerous and ignorant thinking that could damage the franchise. You can't please everyone so stick to the audience that would benefit the most. It isn't my fault that your obsession of popularity blinds you and your creativity from the unique picks cultivated from first party like the list I have mentioned that Smash could benefit from. We shouldn't ditch characters with support and fanbases cuz it's not big enough especially the ones that could from company and games the series is about.

With that silly logic, Why did Sora get in over a Tetris block, Tetris is more popular, Why didn't COD Solider get in instead of Sephiroth? COD more popular? Persona over GTA? See how nonsensical this mentality is?

I also love how you try to outright explain away relevancy, when outside of the token retro and wtf picks relevancy has been king. In Smash 4, literally the only newcomers we got that did not benefit from relevancy from the Wii/3DS/DS era outside of the retro and WTF picks were the third parties. In Ultimate, the first party picks we got, outside of our wtf character in plant, were either super popular or super relevant.

Speaking of popularity, lets go there next. Popularity matters in Smash. Tons of ultimates design decisions (Everyone is here, K Rool, Ridley, Banjo, Sora, Chom and Dark Samus, Belmonts, and Sora) got in smash due to their fan demand. You want to know why I know fan demand matters? Because Sakurai said it himself in his famitsu columns and interviews multiple times. For someone who likes to make matter of fact statements, you really do love to ignore the word of the ****ing creator of the game. The vast majority of character picks are determined by either what was relevant during the recent past and present for that smash game, and what would be popular. Notice how for our third party picks, we got the biggest JRPG release in the past 10 years, one of the cornerstones of the JRPG genre, the first and second biggest requests according to Sakurai himself, arguably the biggest villain in all of gaming not in smash, the biggest 3d fighting game series of all time, and outright the biggest video game of all time in Minecraft?
Fan Demand from respective franchises matters, not popularity. Don't it twisted. The fact those retro and WTF picks and other like Pit, Terry, Marth initially, Pyra/Mythra etc that you intentionally missed out to make a weak point being an exception , are still running, not cut and still getting literally proves my point that popularity isn't the end. Sakurai even stated this himself in Terry presentation.
Sakurai had full veto rights on whatever characters got in as DLC, so you can't just say that Sakurai had his hands tied, especially with how much love he put into all of the third party DLC characters.
Sakurai literally said he couldn't chose and made pick from a list Nintendo made. What are you talking about?

Furthermore, this might be a bitter truth to accept, but there really are not many "Nintendo All Stars" left. If you go by fan demand, maybe you can say that four first parties are truly popular right now. But lets put Waluigi, Isaac, Bandana Dee, and maybe Dixie away for a second. Most of the first parties you yourself brought up are at best tertiary characters.

Now, there are a few new franchises you can push in Smash, such as Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, Astral Chain, or Ring Fit, but even then you have slim pickings because RH is dormant right now and Golden Sun has not gotten a game in over a decade. Now, compare that admittedly shallow pool to the vast pool of third parties now that the doors have been flung open. Its a no brainer why the masses have flocked to picks like Dante or Crash instead of King Boo or Magalor.
What does a character being tertiary have to do with anything? They still have demand from their respective fans and have ideas to bring to table like E.M.M.I example. Why should all that be thrown away over meaningless definitions that don't make in the long run for a robust All-Nintendo star roster? I could have strong representation without them but I have a STRONGER representation of them. No brainer.

You even countered your point saying are there still first party franchises not in Smash, why not gives the time to things that need it/ The masses flock to the choices because they care for the hype than an actual good game. Hype the next minute and dropping Smash the next. It's to cut the excess.

You do realize that even as early as the Smash 2 poll before Melee's development, Smash was eyeing third parties right. Even as early as Melee there were some effort in putting Sonic or Snake in the game.

But even then, if you want to use the "smash roots" argument, thing of how insane Smash Bros as a crossover was even back in the late 90s. You could have Mario fight Pikachu and the guy from Zelda? Wow, its like its a crossover game of cool characters fighting.
Never said Third Parties shouldn't exist. I said. 5-6 maximum similar in Brawl and 4 should suffice.

You literally just prove my point right here. Nintendo All Stars roster is still a big deal making dream matchup happen and still could and should happen. There is still untapped potential with first parties alone still can be reached but that won't happen if Smash keeps chasing a foolish goal of being a celebration of gaming and focusing too much on third parties whilst still missing the marks and having holes to reach this goal.

Oh I am so sorry, I did not know that the most legendary JRPG of the era, arguably of all time, that was one of the reasons the PS1 dominated over the N64 and the biggest Smash request according to the creator were too impure for you.
Ok. What does any of that have to with NINTENDO history and its library of games?

Show me the super popular first party pick that made it in as Smash DLC. At best you have XC2 content and Byleth being popular in Japan. Could a first party pick like Waluigi get in as DLC someday? Maybe. But you can't throw a tantrum if people speculate given what we have seen for three whole DLC cycles with FP1, FP2, and Smash 4.

Compare that to the venom that some of the first party supremacists threw around during Smash 4 and early ultimate, and going to be honest even now, and its clear which one is gatekeeping.

Finally, I want to reiterate that it is a bit messed up that you are acting like noticing a shift towards third parties is gatekeeping or even gaslighting. After Ultimate, it is clear that based on Sakurai's own comments and the picks chosen that the gates are far more open. People have freedom to talk about how they think it would be cool to see Doomguy or Dante fight Mario and Kirby. They have freedom to talk about whatever characters they want. We are in an environment where the Master Chief thread is a bastion of hope instead of getting locked for "trolling" by the mere crime of existing. I was there for Smash 4, and I can tell you that it is not gaslighting to say that an environment where you can suggest any character and see them blossom is better than one where your character might face a purity test of whether they are "Nintendo" enough. So many smaller fanbases grew in Ultimate, such as Reimu, Arle, Adol, Sakura, or KOS MOS just by that glimmer of hope after the door was opened. I think its honestly kind of gross to suggest that resistance to people wishing to bring us back to that dark place is gaslighting or gatekeeping.

No one is out here saying that you can't talk about Bandana Dee, Waluigi, or any first party. You have freedom to talk about whatever you want. You don't have white supremacists writing op eds about how your dream character would be sinful in smash. You can't compare people talking about third parties to a culture dominated by things like that.
Piranha Plant and Min Mine even though ill admit to hard to do so when Nintendo themselves don't have faith in their own characters.

Also that fact you are comparing me and others wanting Nintendo All Stars being comparable to a white supremacist, implying wanting Smash to return to form is same as racism, lynching, segregation etc 3 times just shows that honesty no one should actually take you or your argument seriously ever. This is the cr*p I was talking about in my previous rant and posts. You can't want characters in smash anymore without some clown like you calling you stupid sh*t like supremacist. Accusations like that always get thrown nily wily and I don't get it.

Was that guy before even a white supremacist or did y'all call him/her that cuz they said something you didn't like and was a fan of first party picks?

Also why is it toxic to talk about third parties but it isn't toxic to bash on people for daring to want a third party in the game instead of a Nintendo character, this feels like double standards/hypocrisy imo.
Maybe because saying Smash should return to form is a bit different than being call a supremacist for wanting so.

I said if you hated third parties, there are alternatives, but third parties are here to stay in Smash--I can't tell from the rhetoric who hates third parties or not, but there's a lot of weird rhetoric in that vein. They are the biggest sellers, as we saw with Nintendo's DLC choices. I'm sure if Nintendo thought they could sell enough using their B-list or C-list characters, they would have sufficed and would have been easier for them than all the third party licensing. And Sakurai sees Smash as a celebration of gaming, a point not countered.
You got a source or sales numbers of third parties selling better than first parties? Sakurai also said that isn't sustainable and couldn't be pull off again which is for the best.

Would a Nintendo All Stars make bank? Probably, but there'd be zero surprise factor that Pikachu could fight Dixie Kong (even though I want her in Smash). The surprise factor of characters from drastically different game worlds is what has been the appeal of Smash from the start, and third parties opened that world even more since Brawl. Going back to Nintendo All-Stars would be intentionally closing that world, and dissatisfying those outside of the Nintendo bubble. It's a case of going backwards, rather than forwards. And as Sakurai said, he wants to avoid making a Smash game that dissatisfies fans.
"if you want to use the "smash roots" argument, thing of how insane Smash Bros as a crossover was even back in the late 90s. You could have Mario fight Pikachu and the guy from Zelda? Wow, its like its a crossover game of cool characters fighting." This holds true then as it does today. As well as

"Now, there are a few new franchises you can push in Smash, such as Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, Astral Chain, or Ring Fit"

Still gaming worlds left to be explore and many more yet under first party as well worlds like Zelda and Kirby that still need meat on their bones yet that's apparently backwards not forwards. Funny, making Smash more of game with focus value and substance is backwards but blindly follow hype culture which leaves only a shallow feeling is forwards. Crazy.

Also wouldn't call the increased toxicity, death threats and wars satisfaction. If Sakurai wants that to be the case, he should the celebration of gaming and appeases the people who can, the ones that need it and ones who like Smash as actual game and roster case.

I hate to admit it but honestly i feel smash is heading that way despite me wanting Isaac, Ninten, Harry (Teleroboxer), Grovyle, Sukapon, Black Shadow, Daroach, Skull Kid, Captain Syrup I would feel very lucky to have any of them and the truth is they are not promotional characters which Nintendo aren’t a fan of when it comes to smash characters picks unless if very very highly demanded we are probably more likely to get 3 more fire emblem characters before any of them
Same. As someone who was upset Isabelle was in Smash over Dixie Kong, I understood why, but it still didn't sit well with me, especially given Ridley and King K. Rool before that. I had to get over it and realize that the first party characters I do want aren't as popular, and the ones that will get in are either popular with other people who play more modern Nintendo stuff, or are promotional picks for Nintendo games I don't plan on playing. But that's the other side of having such a big roster--there's just so many Nintendo characters I want that's already in, that it's hard to be picky.

My only other character I feel should be in Smash, but isn't, is Crash, who is a bigger icon than most of the characters that even appeared in Ultimate (including my #1 pick). Was he not popular on the ballot, more of a hassle to work with Activision than Disney?
Honestly, you guys leave that mind-set behind. Your hopes die when you leave them behind. That is what other third party fans, hypebeasts and Nintendo corporates want you guys to think. They want to shut you up and throw to the wayside as they see you as competition to get rid off. You should still support that characters regardless especially now as Sakurai in a few months is moving on to his next project plan which is mostly likely Smash 6 where he will be looking forward for potential candidates.

My big issue is that you seem insistent on making an argument where there just is not one. You do not have people actively trying to stifle any discussion to the extent there was before. While there will always be character detractors, the culture right now is far more inclusive. The Smash 4 era as I outlined earlier was terrible for that, and you have people that are arguing for us to go back to that in this thread. I was there, I was outright flamed for wanting third parties, I saw it happen to others with my own eyes. But somehow the people who don't want us to go back to that era are, in your own words, blissfully ignorant at best or manipulating speculation at worst? That era of speculation was terrible, but you yourself said in your first post that people were manipulating speculation in order to make it more beneficial for their characters. No one has that kind of power. At best, you make a passionate cas and attempt to gain supporters that way. I did it for Crash and Sephiroth, I have seen it done for countless characters like SNK as a whole, Bill Rizer, Reimu, Adol, Captain Toad, Elma, Skull Kid, and Rhythm Heaven just to name a few. And you know what? I got into Touhou and Ys because of them, and I gave XCX and Rhythm Heaven a second shot. This is the reality of what smash is. You will have people make counter arguments, as people did for each of them, but that does not mean that you can not discuss your dream pick. There really is not much of a public blacklist. I ran RTC, arguably the most critical section on whether a character is likely or not. But we still discussed characters even if they were unlikely. Heck, while some people might not like being told their character is not the most likely, it is clear that repeated ratings in RTC after a strong case only grew their support. KOS MOS, Sakura from Sakura Wars, or Reimu are great examples of this in terms of their RTC records.
I don't condone harassment, bullying, flaming etc but they was probably a defensive actions to not having Smash choices to devolve to a cesspit It became with Ultimate's DLC.

I think people are, willfully or otherwise, ignoring the point being made and focusing on other aspects of the argument, and that's that there is a very notable pushback against first party additions that aren't either Switch-or-newer or Waluigi and sometimes Isaac.

To illustrate, I'll use a character as an example. In particular, a character that was offhandedly thrown under the bus a page and a half ago with no pushback from anyone else: Starfy. Good old Starfy is a character that best illustrates what I'm talking about: a character with modest popularity from a fairly obscure Nintendo franchise, who was disconfirmed for Ultimate early on with the reveal of his Assist Trophy. He didn't have Waluigi level popularity, since very few characters do, so discussion died down after the Assist was shown off. That's expected. It's the natural cycle.

So what are Starfy fans to do? They were told, after all, that Starfy's odds for Ultimate were done and dusted, and they were. They were told he didn't fit Nintendo's DLC plans due to his series being on extended hiatus, and due to his role in the base game. And that was right. So what did people say? "Wait until next game, when the board is reset." And now the board is reset.

So why are people still acting like talking about characters like Starfy is a fruitless endeavor not worthy of discussion? Why are we still using DLC "rules" for an as-of-yet unannounced base game, when characters like him have their best shot?

Yes, you can say "people can still talk about those kinds of characters! Nobody is stopping them!" But that's missing the point. Yes, anybody can scream into the void. But if nobody engages with it, what's the point? Why talk about characters you'd want when it's blatantly clear most of the thread won't even entertain the possibility of those characters getting in in the future?

Instead, at best, you get people imparting their sagely knowledge almost patronizingly, like a Nick Offerman-looking father figure getting down on his knee, putting his hand on Little Timmy's shoulder, and telling him, "Well, sport...the sad truth is that Starfy didn't go to a farm upstate, he's just irrelevant. And as such, we don't want to waste our time talking about him."

And like, okay? So was Banjo. And I can hear you say, "but Banjo had fan demand." And you know why he did? Besides Phil Spencer, I mean. It's because people were allowed to talk about him. And people engaged with the conversation. But by not engaging in discussions about other characters who may be seen as obscure, you're also killing the chance of them ever getting a fanbase that large pre-emptively.

Before anyone tries to tell me I'm against third parties, third party additions are legitimately some of my favorite additions in Smash. When Sonic and Snake were added to Brawl, I was fascinated by what could be done in future games. Mega Man and Pac-Man were some of my biggest requests for Smash 4, albeit with the caveat that Pac not be his Ghostly Adventures design. When Ryu was found in the files, I was ecstatic. How cool was that? Ryu, the fighting game character, was going to be in Smash! And Cloud, the eternal never-ever, finally getting in felt so damn surreal. When Simon got leaked for Ultimate, I was super hyped, and hoped they'd use his Conan-like look. And then he did! And out of Ultimate's eleven Challenger Packs? Out of my top six (Terry, Byleth, Min Min, Steve, Sephiroth, Sora), four were third party! A whole two thirds! And even now, I would love to see the likes of Lara Croft, Frogger, Phoenix Wright, Maxwell, and (managerial changes in the future assumed) Ezio and Crash!

But as someone who also wants some fairly under the radar first parties, it's legitimately disheartening to see characters I want to see written off as "irrelevant," or "not even has-beens, but never-was-es," or "characters only diehard Nintendo nerds who spend too much time online would know even exist." If I had a dollar for every time I've seen characters like these dismissed because "all of the important Nintendo characters are already here," I'd have enough money to financially ensure the future of all of their franchises singlehandedly. It often feels that you can't try to raise support for a character unless they'd make Twitter collectively soil its pants in hype.

And dismissing these fanbases entirely as internet echo chambers just makes it a game of who can talk the loudest and control the conversation. Isaac, one of these characters who's better off, gets talked about a lot, and Golden Sun etched itself into a lot of people's hearts for being a solid RPG on a Nintendo console, a rarity for its day. When Starfy got into Super Mario Maker six or so years ago, people came out of the woodwork saying how happy they were that Nintendo remembered him. People talk about wanting genre diversity, but ignore that Dillon might just be one of the best possible characters to represent the tower defense genre. Sin and Punishment just got added to NSO, and will likely reach more people now than it ever did before, even with Nintendo's headass pricing. Takamaru's biggest obstacle for inclusion, being Japan only, is no longer the case. Sukapon got a second lease on life, getting his pink, circular foot in the door as an Assist.

And those are just the ones that get talked about somewhat often! You know what game I always, without fail, see brought up from fans of games like Ace Attorney and the Nonary Games? A game that Nintendo owns but you never see Smash fans talk about? Hotel Dusk. Despite Kyle Hyde having a trophy in Brawl (an animated one at that!) and a spirit in Ultimate, and despite Hotel Dusk being a cult classic, the game doesn't get discussed in the context of Smash, showing that yes, blind spots exist among those who look at first parties, as well. So many ideas can get tossed around and people can learn new things about games they didn't know about. It's nice. But all too often it feels like the conversation gets neutered before it can happen because people have already made up their mind. And often, it's simply because it's a Nintendo character that isn't new or Waluigi.

Because hot damn does it suck. Like when Maximilian Dood's reaction to the Byleth presentation is an uninterested "is this a waifu game" jab. Or when Honest Trailers had that god awful "Now they're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Who knew who Shulk was before this game? Congrats, you're now Japanese," which was frankly infuriating. Like Jesus Christ just use Google you unfunny voice over man. Look at Project Rainfall. It's not hard. Well joke's on you, now your channel is owned by Fandom and people rightfully hate it. Anyway.

Being pushed aside with the Smash Speculation Forum equivalent of "be quiet, the adults are talking" ****ing sucks, and I'll no longer pretend that it doesn't.

So that was my rant. I apologize to Nick Offerman on the off chance he's here, because damn it you never know.
This. Took the words from my mouth. Smash to the return

[/QUOTE]
Is this a hot take?

I honestly think that the Ghosts would be pretty clever fighters in the next Smash. Whilst Namco does have a wide variety of different characters and stuff to use, (and Ms. Pac-Man would be a really good Echo,) I think the Ghosts would be hella cool. Now, in terms of their style, I think they should all be different costumes as opposed to all 4 as a collective - but maybe give them all different expressions based on their own?

So... what are your thoughts? Anyone got any ideas for other moves?
Not a hot take. Smash needs more Enemies and Villains than the just typical protag

Any Smash OC would be the biggest waste of a Fighter slot ever.
How? You still haven't answered my question? Honesty a Smash OC would've been better than most DLC picks. Imagine how cool to play as Master Hand or Tabuu?

They already GOT the treatment they deserve. That's why every 1st party that matters is already IN Smash.
So Waluigi, Issac, Octolings, Dixie, Starfy, ones I mentioned before all don't matter right? in a Nintendo crossover?

Not to mention, I could say easily that all the third party that matters are already in smash so they no need to add more.

Where are all the Playstation Allstars? The rest of the Microsoft IPs? The PC gaming scene (maybe you try to focus on console gaming, but then you have the issue of Minecraft originating off-console)? Multiple massive franchises with no playable reps or no representation at all. Whole genres like FPS essentially missing on the roster. There's not even much point in listing all the ways that it fails at celebrating all of gaming because there's so many things missing, and I don't see how it could come reasonably close to representing everything remotely fairly, completely, or coherently. It's too much of a legal and practical mess.
The "all" is implicit. If it's not "all," then what is it? It would then have no discernible identity if it's not "all."
Funny people will still call, defend and fight for that notion yet, as you clearly explained, it's not obviously the case especially with DLC. Poor variety in all fronts. Why not have a Smash that can actually achieve its goals with having substance for being game like Melee, Brawl, 4 and Base Ultimate.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Would you rather people just have the freedom to act like their most wanted is a shoe in? Having a reality check is helpful and I am gonna be honest brutally necessary.

Look at how the Geno fanbase or Rayman fanbase acted when you gave any criticism that their most wanted was not a lock. I literally had Rayman fans harass me and throw shade at me for months because I dared to say that a character that had a series that bombed in Japan and his series was more or less on hiatus was not exactly a lock. Geno's fans let a false prophet tell them Geno was coming, and many did not listen to potential warning signs that Geno was not 100% a lock. Look where that got them.

Just because someone says a character you do like is unlikely, it does not mean that you have to cry about it. Literally, Smash fans take it like a personal attack if you think that their most wanted is not likely.

Oh no, someone is using Gematsu to stifle any discussion about anyone else because Chrom Chorus Kids and Shulk are totally the last few characters? Guess I have to cry about it and stop talking about characters I think are cool. Oh wait, no one did that. People still talked about characters they thought were cool and tried to show off why they loved characters.

Grow up. Just because someone is saying your most wanted is unlikely does not give you the right to complain. Show why you love them. Make a case for them. Sure, others will inevitably disagree, but you will help your character get new fans. I can name plenty of people who stuck with their characters through thick and thin without whining that its so unfair that people dare say their niche pick is unlikely.

Pull yourself up by your bootstraps and make a case for your character. I made cases for Sephiroth and Rean when no one else was, saying that he was a dark horse. Did I let people saying it was unlikely stop me? No. Because it does not matter. If you honestly get so hurt that someone says something you think is cool is unlikely, Smash speculation is not for you. Because Smash Speculation has always been like this.

Make a case for whoever you want, sell people on it. Don't throw a fit and grumble when someone tells you that your niche pick is unlikely. If we look at what we got in Brawl, Smash 4, and Ultimate, niche picks are the exception, not the norm. Does that mean your pick is a never ever? Who knows, people are often wrong. Does that mean you get to cry about it and while about someone daring to challenge you and help you stay realistic in your expectations? No.

Speculate on whoever you want, make counter arguments for the arguments about why someone might not think your idea is unlikely. But don't treat yourself like a victim because someone said something like Starfy and Kyle Hyde are probably not going to happen for the next smash.
Yeah bro, Grow up. Who cares if you get harassed, threatened with death, endlessly mocked and **** on deteriorating your mental health with the hobby you escape into to avoid that from and even doxxed by detractors just for showing support for your favorites. Just pull yourself from the bootstraps

With that comment and the other one comparing me and others to white supremacy for wanting a Nintendo focus for Smash shows there isn't much going on upstairs if there even is an upstairs at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
Someone else already explained this. It won't all go away but 10-20% is better than 60-80%. If there is a chance to reduce numbers greatly we should take it.

Don't worry, Ik Nintendo fans aren't good people. In fact, I think Nintendo may have one of, if not, the worst fanbases in gaming or maybe Twitter has rotted my mind that much. Who knows?
And I'm sure you have ways to actually prove these numbers and didn't just pull them out of your ass, right?

Sorry bud, but this isn't a thing that's just a "Smash" issue, it's an internet issue at its core. You look at literally any other series on the face of the earth, you're going to find people like this, and trying to pull the "IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS!" argument doesn't work when no, you're not magically going to fix this.

This is a problem that's born from the internet changing and the rise of social media.
Yeah bro, Grow up. Who cares if you get harassed, threatened with death, endlessly mocked and sh*t on deteriorating your mental health with the hobby you escape into to avoid that from and even doxxed by detractors just for showing support for your favorites. Just pull yourself from the bootstraps

With that comment and the other one comparing me and others to white supremacy for wanting a Nintendo focus for Smash shows there isn't much going on upstairs if there even is an upstairs at all.
If it bothers you that much, I'll give you an obvious answer.

Don't go on social media.

"But I shouldn't have to! People should just be nice!"

Bro, I like League of Legends. Have you SEEN how people act both in and out of game in that game? It's one of, if not the most, toxic gaming communities of all time. That's why I don't go on the social media, and I mute other players in game.

I'm sorry but your glory days of kumbaya internet are long gone, and they're not coming back.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I’m 100% we will get a BOTW2 stage in next smash game and very likely Link will get his next game appearance.

Though I also think that some series don’t need more characters, instead, retool some characters movesets trying to be more faithful to their games.

Example of Links:
  • Give Link their BOTW1/2 weapons, with exchangeable arrows (normal, fire, ice and bomb, limit stock per arrow).
  • Change Young Link normal special (fire arrow) to his fairy slingshot. Maybe his final smash to fierce deity
  • Give Toon Link some wind waker/phantom hourglass/spirit tracks tools?

I’m fine with how most post-brawl characters plays on Ultimate. Some 64 and Melee newcomers needs a few changes each.

toonito

Smash Ace
RE: 3rd Parties

can't put that genie back in that bottle. I personally think Smash is better for expanding its scope beyond Nintendo only. I fully believe Smash doesn't become the gaming event it is without 3rd party inclusion. A strictly Nintendo-only Smash at this point is working backwards IMO. It's more exciting to me that a Master Chief is almost taken for granted in Smash speculation these days than say Dunban vs Bandana Dee.

To avoid speaking about whichever character "deserves" inclusion more, what characters do you think are most likely to be included next Smash ?
Waluigi: it's make or break time. If he doesn't get in the next game I don't believe he'll ever make it in.
Ring Fit: I'd be surprised if it gets snubbed.
Pokemon: reserved, likely Gen 9
FE: new character every game since Melee
Mario franchise: new character every Smash game (if not Waluigi)
Officer Howard: I'm still on the fence I'm waiting on how an Astral Chain 2 does.
AC/Splatoon/Xenoblade Rep: I don't think all 3 franchises will get one but I feel at least 1 will get an additional rep
Dixie Kong: not particularly likely but scrapped in Brawl may be revisited in the future
Chorus Kids: not particularly likely but scrapped in Smash 4 may be revisited in the future

Bomberman: I feel he's right on the precipice
Lloyd Irving (Yuri? Alphen?)/Shantae/Dragonborn/Dante: I feel at least 1 of these four will make it in
fighting game rep: Sakurai's fondness for the genre shines through and a "fightie" has debuted in Smash since 4's DLC.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I’m 100% we will get a BOTW2 stage in next smash game and very likely Link will get his next game appearance.

Though I also think that some series don’t need more characters, instead, retool some characters movesets trying to be more faithful to their games.

Example of Links:
  • Give Link their BOTW1/2 weapons, with exchangeable arrows (normal, fire, ice and bomb, limit stock per arrow).
  • Change Young Link normal special (fire arrow) to his fairy slingshot. Maybe his final smash to fierce deity
  • Give Toon Link some wind waker/phantom hourglass/spirit tracks tools?

I’m fine with how most post-brawl characters plays on Ultimate. Some 64 and Melee newcomers needs a few changes each.
I'd keep going with what Ultimate started, shuffling all the Zelda reps around. Link can stay BOTW or revert to OoT, Ganondorf should get his BOTW2 design (rehydrated), Zelda can have Skyward Sword, add a new Link's Awakening Link (replacing Young and Toon), and then toss in a real Zelda newcomer from a totally unrepresented game, like Vaati or Midna.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I think it's gonna be 3rd party Dominated personally, since I actually do think that's gonna be the Natural evolution of the Series due to Ultimate's Success, whether it be an Ultimate Continuation or just a Regular Smash game (I doubt a Reboot would be done Unless Something unexpected happens).

The Whole point of Ultimate was to Give back to the Fans and what they have Requested, which is Seen with Sora, Banjo, K.Rool, Ridley, all the Veterans, etc, So I think trying to Expand Smash to Include as Much as possible is the move, especially since that's also what the fans want these days also. So I see characters like

-Master Chief
-Fortnite Jonsey (and then some)
-Apex Legends Character
-League of Legends Character
-Scorpion
-Crash
-2B
-Ryu Hayabusa
-Crash Bandicoot
-Resident Evil Character (If they can manage)
-Rayman
-Sol Badguy
-Reimu
-Mickey Mouse (Only a Matter of Time)

These are just examples and not the full Package, and Western I.Ps are the most Listed here because that is the Biggest source of Expansion in terms of Reach at this current Moment.

Of course there will be Expansion of what's already in the game, but on the 1st Party Side and 3rd Party Side, and I think New Successful Nintendo I.Ps like Ring Fit and Astral Chain would be included. The thing Is that I actually doubt 1st Party characters are gonna dominate the Base game even, since I think the 3rd Party characters are gonna be the Biggest Priority.
Seeing people constantly mention Mickey more recently even before Sora's reveal is weird to me... Is it just a thing because of how bizarre it is or...? Like Mickey is definitely never getting into smash for the record. If they weren't even gonna try and work with Disney to add Sora if it weren't for both a high level of demand and a chance meeting at an awards show then the chances of Mickey are like next to none. I'd say Goku has higher odds and this is of course not bearing in mind the whole shtick on non video game characters.

As a refresher, non video game characters aren't included cos of licensing complexities... And can you imagine how much of that would be the case with Mickey... Representing the character in a way that does them justice would require pulling from tons of different places that would likely have tons of legal red tape all around. Mickey could be argued to be the foundation of this entire idea lmao. Nintendo seem to be just fine sticking with video games for now so Mickey is probably like... the least likely character period TBH. This is where a characters iconic status ultimately don't help them as much as it harms them. I know there's a bunch of stuff about Mickey going into the public domain next year even if it's specifically the steamboat willie interpretation IIRC, but that would kinda defeat the point of getting Mickey into a crossover. So at that point the idea would lose a lot of it's potential shine. I don't know the ins and outs of it but Disney should just make their own smash game TBH. If WB can, then they could and it would probably cater to a much larger audience.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If it bothers you that much, I'll give you an obvious answer.

Don't go on social media.

"But I shouldn't have to! People should just be nice!"

Bro, I like League of Legends. Have you SEEN how people act both in and out of game in that game? It's one of, if not the most, toxic gaming communities of all time. That's why I don't go on the social media, and I mute other players in game.

I'm sorry but your glory days of kumbaya internet are long gone, and they're not coming back.
I'm just gonna quickly say that essentially condoning toxicity because it's inevitable isn't a healthy attitude to have. You should always try to fight against it.
Yeah bro, Grow up. Who cares if you get harassed, threatened with death, endlessly mocked and **** on deteriorating your mental health with the hobby you escape into to avoid that from and even doxxed by detractors just for showing support for your favorites. Just pull yourself from the bootstraps

I just also wanted to add since it may have been lost in translation, but folks were referring to a specific now-banned user with that. The guy in question was explicitly anti-third party and it also just so happens he was an actual real life white supremacist. It didn't have much to do with the third party thing beyond his own alarming-in-hindsight word choice though.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm just gonna quickly say that essentially condoning toxicity because it's inevitable isn't a healthy attitude to have. You should always try to fight against it.

I just also wanted to add since it may have been lost in translation, but folks were referring to a specific now-banned user with that. The guy in question was explicitly anti-third party and it also just so happens he was an actual real life white supremacist. It didn't have much to do with the third party thing beyond his own alarming-in-hindsight word choice though.
That's what a report function is for.

If someone's being toxic on social media, I'm not going to engage them, I'm going to report them and move on, and frankly? That's the best thing to do, because engaging with them is what they want.

Toxicity is an inevitability, and as the internet, and social media has grown, it's only gotten worse.

However, rolling up to say Twitter and expecting sunshine and rainbows is folly. This fellow wants to go back to "The good old days" ala Melee and Brawl where no one ever said anything mean and everyone was just literal angels, which isn't even true. The dude's argued people having "Rose tinted glasses" yet he's blind to his own pair.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Personally, I could care less who they add into the game. I’ve had most of my most wanteds plus a few pipe dreams who got in. I could give a flying **** if we have more first party over third party or vice versa. Heck, the entire roster could be third party and I would be pretty cool about it. At this point, I’m just happy seeing fans of those characters happy and and see what sort of crazy magic the developers can pull off.
This is my attitude cuz I take a very simple view of new fighter additions: The Smash dev team have showed time and time again that they can make fun movesets out of everyone. Even though I only played Tekken a few times in arcades in my life, I was able to have fun by twisting my stick as Kazuya in Smash. So yeah, first party or third party or Party City I'm confident I'll enjoy the actual game part of the Smash experience, which is the most important.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
if we get any spike chunsoft content, it better be from the best pokemon game ever made.
New Challenger Concept: Grovyle, the Thief of Time and Darkness: smashbros

Then we can talk despair.
That's gonna depend on how much The Pokemon Company's willing to play ball. Out of all of Nintendo's own subsidiaries, they seem to be the most difficult work with, which may be why there's a lack of almost ANY spin-off content.

I'm not going to list which characters are "likely", because if there's one thing I can be sure about with Smash, it's that it can be very unpredictable overall. Instead, I think I'll take the opportunity to re-affirm my position on one of my most wanteds, KOS-MOS. Honestly, I root for her knowing that she's not this ultra-popular pick that's widely requested everywhere. To be frank, while I could confidently say that she's at least reasonably recognizeable, I see her overall popularity being comparable to someone like Terry (who was more of a passion inclusion by Sakurai himself than any kind of poll-topper, though people keep bringing up Latin America) and Bayonetta (whom arguably only got in due to the franchise's direct involvement with Nintendo themselves). However, with both Bandai Namco and Monolith Soft being involved, she should've been an "easy" inclusion, more than anything.

That said, it absolutely baffles me that, forget being a Fighter, she didn't get into Ultimate at all. No Mii costume, no Spirit, no sprite in the Pac-Man taunt, not even a callback in Pyra/Mythra's alts (arguable, though if the "aeronautical" outfit was supposed to reference her and not Xenogears, you'd think light blue hair on Mythra should've been a dead giveaway). At the very least, I don't see her as a character worth completely ignoring. I mean, aside from the obvious connection between Xenosaga and Xenoblade (the latter steadily growing into one of Nintendo's most prominent first-party RPG series), and the fact that she even had a cameo in Xenoblade2 (a game which an entire Challenger Pack would be based around), her figure was also a top-seller fairly recently (which, given how much of a figure otaku Sakurai seems to be, definitely shouldn't have flown under his radar). I guess overall, I'm left to question "Why?" In spite of all these factors, how does she avoid having so much as a reference? The optimist in me wonders if they're just saving her for a future Smash, but the pessimist in me thinks that, if she couldn't make it to Ultimate in any form, no future entry is going to raise her odds (and her home series not seeing any kind of re-release does her no favors).

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
if we get any spike chunsoft content, it better be from the best pokemon game ever made.
New Challenger Concept: Grovyle, the Thief of Time and Darkness: smashbros

Then we can talk despair.
I maintain that a Super Mario Maker style stage based on a Mystery Dungeon where it was different every time would be among the coolest things that could ever be added to Smash.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Again, though. YOU are NOT, your character.

If I say "Waluigi sucks." that is not a personal attack on Waluigi fans. Unless they choose to make it a personal attack in their own head. And if that's the case, their mind goblins and their detachment from reality are their responsibility, not mine.

Honestly don't know. Impa should have been in by now. Really hoping the expanded roles the HW games have been giving her pay off at some point.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

I say , Octolings are a pretty big contender, Tom Nook, I do hope Dixie and Impa make it but am 50/50 on them... Monster Hunter am quite certain about. For some reason I see Pauline making it too. Cranky Kong for the sole reason he's gonna be in the Mario movie, and we could argue he has a chance of being "more unique" than Dixie (who could be a semi clone, even if I feel she should be unique). Spoilers guy from Metroid Dread maybe ? And honestly, if there are cuts in the Fire Emblem roster I see Dimitri and Edelgard be included, and Byleth get a sort of moveset redo.
Ring Fit is guaranteed. So is Octoling and Pokémon. That’s about it. Also, most, if not all of the Third Parties are getting cut next time.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Tangentially related to this but I wonder how likely it is for next Smash to have a character from a company based somewhere other than Japan/USA.

Ubisoft is definitely a contender and as you said, I can see Tencent being one, though I'm not sure how much overlap they have with Smash fandom, as big as their share of the industry is.
That's.... extremely difficult to say. Depending on how one looks at it it has already happened:

• Mojang is Swedish and Rare's British, but both are under the Xbox Games umbrella. The same would apply if say Fall Guys got in - Mediatronic's British, but under American Devolver Digital. Or Ori (Moon Studios is Austrian, but under the same Xbox umbrella).
  • When Terry was negotiated for and included SNK was owned by Chinese corps 37 Games and Oriental Securities (a subdivision of a Shanghai bank), but are now mostly under Mohammed Bin Salman's MiSK Foundation.

As you said Ubisoft's the main contender, but to delve deeper into this* :

EU:

• Paradox Interactive I'm really unsure about. They're mainly known for grand strategy games (which would probably not even be on the radar) but they do have some acquistions (although I'm not sure about those either). Not gonna count on Sakurai / Nintendo approaching them.
  • CD Project Red is a really intriguing option here. The Witcher games have been on Nintendo consoles, but the question is whether Geralt counts as a 4th party. It's gonna come down to how CDPR and Saprowski's agreement covers crossover appearances I think - that said, he has appeared in SC VI, so who knows. Cyberpunk feels less likely due to how it was recieved.
  • Other developers are even more of a question mark. ZA/UM (Disco Elysium, Estonian)? Rovio (Angry Birds, Finnish)? The aformentioned Moon Studios (Ori)? Outsiders / wildcards galore here.

CN:

• I'll remain on Tencent being a wildcard since they're in the midst of a major expansionary phase, have a few potentially noteworthy IPs and are cooperating with Nintendo, but they don't have many internally developed characters outside of their acquisitions (and those who are are almost exclusively famous-within-China). Still, worth watching out for since they are the parent corp of Riot (LoL) and Grinding Gear Games (Path of Exile).
  • NetEase, China's second biggest videogame corp, are likewise expanding quickly. They established Sakura Studios in Tokyo recently, and snatched up Grasshopper (Suda51's gang) + seem poised to lure Nagoshi away from SEGA. Like with Tencent though, the candidates that feel like potential Smash candidates come from acquisitions mainly, with the internally developed stuff being mostly known just within China or Japan. Wildcard by proxy.
  • As for miHoyo... uuuuh. Genshin Impact not releasing on Switch as of yet makes them a question mark. Certainly possible, and they have the resources to parlay GI's runaway success into something more - as they're currently attempting to do.
  • Other smaller devs like Pathea Games (My Time at Portia) are in "you never know" territory. Ditto unreleased games like FYQD's Bright Memory Infinite.

ANZ / (South) East Asia:

• If House House (Australia) can parlay Untitled Goose Game into something more, I'm gonna feel more optimistic about them. Besides, the Goose does have advantage of being a "WTF" pick, so there's that. Grinding Gear Games (New Zealand) does have a long-lasting game in Path of Exiles, my only issue is that that game hasn't touched the Switch as of yet.
  • As far as SEA developers go, a few are ancilliary developers (such as the Malaysian Lemon Sky Studios, which helped with FF VIIR and RE Resistance) but there are also quite a few who are independent. Most are mobile / PC-centric due to how the market looks like - Garena's probably the best example - but there have been quite a few console games made in this region too. Not really sure if there's a singular developer who has gained enough clout within the console space as of yet though.
  • The most well-known Korean developer is probably Krafton - more known through its subsidiary PUBG Corp. Not sure how to judge them honestly. Nexon did have a partnership with Nintendo (Devil's Third) but that kinda fell apart when the game did. Still, Nexon does have two IPs worth looking out for - MapleStory and DFO. Nexon also signed a 10-year strategic alliance with Bamco recently alongside investing in Konami and Sega, so there's that.

Other regions' developers... uuuh. A lot of game devs have sprung up around the world in recent years, and although interest in consoles games have grown slowly but surely in a lot of places (one of the reasons why MBS invested in SNK I have to assume) there are not many obvious candidates. Nodding Head Games (Indian) did decently with Raji: An Ancient Epic, although I'm not gonna count them as anywhere near a favorite for the time being.

All in all, I'm not entirely sure. Could happen, but we don't have much precedent to go with. Still, there are a lot of such games, developers and publishers - and as such I'm still sticking with Ubisoft as the primary frontrunner since they have at least 2 choices that have been part of the conversation.

Also, 3BitSaurus, do you know of any games on Nintendo platforms developed in Latin / South America (outside of the below mentioned Aztech: Fallen Gods)? I tried to search far and wide, but I didn't find any. Might've honestly missed something during my search, but still.

*Sidenote: Celeste is made by Canadian Extremely Okay Games. I'm kinda tempted to count games like it and Guacamelee - by DrinkBox - under the NA banner though. The upcoming Aztech: Fallen Gods - developed by Mexican dev Lienzo - counts under this banner as well.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Hopefully this doesn't come off the wrong way, and maybe it's ill-advised to steer your question back to the conversation you're trying to avoid, but by the arguments of many people in this thread, it's because all the Zelda characters besides Link, Zelda herself, and Ganondorf are obscurish, nobody characters with way less "hype" than third party reps.

A strictly Nintendo-only Smash at this point is working backwards IMO. It's more exciting to me that a Master Chief is almost taken for granted in Smash speculation these days than say Dunban vs Bandana Dee.
It depends on what "forwards" and "backwards" mean to you. If "forwards" is embracing a confused, unjustified hodge-podge with no sense of direction or coherence, then sure, focusing on Nintendo is "backwards" (and in this case maybe "backwards" is a good thing). If "forwards" means advancing towards a more complete representation of Nintendo history, which might include a small contingency of third parties, then focusing on Nintendo makes much more sense. It depends on what the aims of the game are and whether or not those aims are reasonable and achievable.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Honestly, you guys leave that mind-set behind. Your hopes die when you leave them behind. That is what other third party fans, hypebeasts and Nintendo corporates want you guys to think. They want to shut you up and throw to the wayside as they see you as competition to get rid off. You should still support that characters regardless especially now as Sakurai in a few months is moving on to his next project plan which is mostly likely Smash 6 where he will be looking forward for potential candidates.
if the next smash gets announced earlier there is a better chance however if it takes like more than 5 years nintendo during that time will probably make more new IP and new characters from new games and they will push these more than the older characters the fact that Sakurai has to play the games before even the games gets released is just to include a character is just a proof of it and thats the case with the starters pokemons and fire emblem main characters
i am not giving up hopes but the chances arent looking that great they will probably want to fill the library of nintendo's 2015-202X games mostly if the next smash game doesnt get announced earlier

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Nabbitfan730 Nabbitfan730

I imagine you are getting alerts up the wazoo but I do want to say that deaths threats, harassment, and doxxing attempts are serious allegations. If they occurred here in the site, please inform the staff so we can take appropriate measures. Now, if they happened off the site, there’s nothing we can do.

However, it’s easy to use these sort of accusations to leverage ones argument and to garner sympathy. I see it all of the time. Heck, I had a student use “I was doxxed online” as an excuse to not turn in an assignment. When I asked for proof, they couldn’t produce it and their entire story of the incident was full of holes. Aside from the entire Waluigi vs Sakurai fiasco with prompted the closure of the Waluigi thread, are there any proof that such threats and harassment occurred for those who want to keep Smash solely to first party characters? Like I said, fabricating accusations and threats can be a particulary effective way of reinforcing an argument and eliciting sympathy and understanding from people - especially when said argument isn’t exactly well-received to begin with.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I'm gonna segment my list into sections.

Near Locks:
  • Octoling (I am actually 100% sure of this one)
  • Ring Fit
  • Animal Crossing #3 (most likely Tom Nook)
  • Waluigi (less of a lock than the other three, but he's more of a when than an if)
Pretty Likely
  • Astral Chain (they hinge on two things: Astral Chain 2 existing and the next Nintendo system being more powerful. Neither of those things are particularly unlikely in my opinion)
  • Bandana Dee (I thought he was a shoe in for Ultimate, so I'm not gonna say he's a lock but it won't suprise me a bit if he gets in)
  • Zero (3rd Party Series can get muliple characters now, and he's very popular)
  • A second Sonic character (see Zero. I'm not sure who it would be, Tails and Eggman are the frontrunners)
  • Kris (Toby Fox already has his foot in the door, Deltarune just needs to keep going and it's golden.)
  • Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear is the most prominent Japanese fighting game not yet in, right?)
Could Happen
  • Bomberman (He's decently requested and he's already an AT, I think it's plausible they just let him in next game)
  • Animal Crossing #4 (New Horizons did so well I think it could get two newcomers. If Nook's already in, I think the most likely choice is K.K Slider)
  • Iori (He's Sakurai's favorite SNK character and the company is beyond easy to work with)
  • Reimu (Touhou is popular and could probably be licenced for free)
  • Eevee (TPC is beginning to push it as a second mascot of sorts, I could see them trying to enforce that in Smash)
  • Zelda rep (the BOTW duology was so succesful I think it's warranted, plus it's about time)
  • Isaac (I could see Nintendo trying to get another fan favorite, and Isaac fits that bill)
  • Rayman (Ubisoft is practically begging... let them have this)

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
However, rolling up to say Twitter and expecting sunshine and rainbows is folly. This fellow wants to go back to "The good old days" ala Melee and Brawl where no one ever said anything mean and everyone was just literal angels, which isn't even true. The dude's argued people having "Rose tinted glasses" yet he's blind to his own pair.
Never said anyone was angels. I literally agreed saying Nintendo has the worst fanbase but doesn't mean we don't take chance to reduce it. Ult during DLC is clearly worse for speculation than Melee/ Brawl so reducing fanbase numbers to reduce it would be great.

Again, though. YOU are NOT, your character.

If I say "Waluigi sucks." that is not a personal attack on Waluigi fans. Unless they choose to make it a personal attack in their own head. And if that's the case, their mind goblins and their detachment from reality are their responsibility, not mine.
Clearly I meant the fans, not the just character, don't know where you going with this?

Plus it's kinda is my responsibility when lives are threatened or even some sicko comes in the real to brake my property like what happen to Prosofia when he was speculating.

Shroob

Sup?
Never said anyone was angels. I literally agreed saying Nintendo has the worst fanbase but doesn't mean we don't take chance to reduce it. Ult during DLC is clearly worse for speculation than Melee/ Brawl so reducing fanbase numbers to reduce it would be great.
Melee didn't even have speculation for the most part.

And I've said it before but

No.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And I've said it before but

No.
You really want tons and tons and tons and tons and tons of ****flinging? Solely "tons and tons" would be better, and that's what you would get when a fanbase is smaller.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I mean, is it not?

And PSASBR didn't even do that good of a job representing Sony. Raiden over Snake? No Cloud? No Lara Croft? No Crash? No Spyro? Like, yeah, these aren't inherently Sony characters per-se, but if you had asked people who they'd associate characters like Crash or Spyro with when it came out, I'd 100% bet they'd have said Sony.
The biggest problem with PASBR is that they featured mostly the characters that made them rich during the PS3 or the PSP stuff while including very few faces from the gigantic PS2 era. There are a few that got people hype (Parappa, Ape Escape) but then there are names in there that are digging deep or already represented by another character. Most older gamers find Crash, Spyro and Snake to represent the glory days of Sony...you miss those, you miss a huge part of your audience.

Picking Don'te over Dante was also a clear mistake.

Honestly don't know. Skullkid should have been in by now. Really hoping the expanded roles the HW games have been giving her pay off at some point.
There, fixed that for ya.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I want Smash to grow as a series.

Regression is not how to do it.

Capitalism, ho!
I do too, but don't think you need to go all the way to do it. The mere fact that this game was on the Switch and not the Wii U was enough to make this franchise grow.

Shroob

Sup?
I do too, but don't think you need to go all the way to do it. The mere fact that this game was on the Switch and not the Wii U was enough to make this franchise grow.
Correct.

But 3rd party ips is how you draw in new fans, not catering to the existing. Someone who likes Mario probably has already picked up Smash due to a lot of Mario characters in it, likewise, say, Joker getting in opened up an entirely new audience.

The problem I see with catering towards existing fans is simply, those people are already going to buy the game as is, which is why you use the 3rd party hooks to draw in fresh blood.

I view the ****-flinging as a literal non-troversy, it affects such a microscopic part of the fandom that's less than 1% of the people who bought the game.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Plus it's kinda is my responsibility when lives are threatened or even some sicko comes in the real to brake my property like what happen to Prosofia when he was speculating.
What happened with Prosofia wasn’t indicative of the Speculation scene and/or Smash community. None of it is connected at all. If someone actually did put a bullet through his window out of anger for his 2018 content in 2020; that’s a matter of mental illness/detachment of realit/etc rather than “see, this is the toxicity that Smash breeds”.

That’s not even taking into account how horrible Prosofia has been to the gaming and YouTube community.

I’ve only been threatened with death once and that’s cause I banned a user for posting lewd content. They also called me the no-no word for a Japanese person. Beyond that, I’ve never had anything related to harassment, doxxing, and threats during my near twenty years of being in this community.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The problem I see with catering towards existing fans is simply, those people are already going to buy the game as is, which is why you use the 3rd party hooks to draw in fresh blood.
And eventually, it's diminishing returns. One of the reasons Sora got in was because he was #1 on the ballot, which means Sakurai is admitting a third-party will cater to people who've already bought the game. I guess a minority will buy the game to play as Sora, but that doesn't discredit the fact that Sakurai was admitting a third-party will cater to pre-existing fans.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I want Smash to grow as a series.

Regression is not how to do it.

Capitalism, ho!
I will say many things in life have done better to themselves and others by going back to their roots.

However, Smash really isn't like that.

I haven't much else to say about this weird ****ing argument that nobody is letting die even though it's already spun around in a circle like seven times already.

People have games they love with characters they cherish and want them in Smash, first of third party. Some of them are much more popular and relevant, and that helps their chances no matter the challenge of getting them in, a la Cloud, Steve and Sora. Some characters have essentially nothing going for them in the beginning but the fanbase who is pushing for them so they have to keep pushing harder and harder to make it happen, and that makes it harder for them to get in but not impossible, a la Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo (and Pit and Little Mac before them).

Know where your character lies, and accept the reality of the situation. If you don't like that reality, do something tangible to change it.

Also goddamnit TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom Can we please go a whole month without bringing up a man that cleans college toilets and was just as hype over his favorite character as the rest? I still consider myself friendly to him and I never ****ing talk about him anymore, stop letting **** like that live rent free. This site needs to move on at some point, and new speculation should be the best place for that.

Also YOOOO Aerospherology Aerospherology MY DUDE! What's going on man? How are ya?!

Shroob

Sup?
And eventually, it's diminishing returns. One of the reasons Sora got in was because he was #1 on the ballot, which means Sakurai is admitting a third-party will cater to people who've already bought the game. I guess a minority will buy the game to play as Sora, but that doesn't discredit the fact that Sakurai was admitting a third-party will cater to pre-existing fans.
And that's just 1 character out of the 8? we got.

Joker?
Steve?
Terry?
Hero?
Kazuya?

Like, you can get away with Banjo and Sephiroth appealing to existing fans(Albeit, Sephiroth conveniently hits that FF7R crowd), but all these others open a door to new audiences as an olive branch to Smash.

And the thing is, we're nowhere close to being out of options.

Regressing is just, no, sorry, but once you open a door like this, closing it is just asking to bite yourself in the ass.

Top Bottom