• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Just a reminder to participate in the SCCC if you have not yet! Poll should close sometime around the beginning of November.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Expanding on this, how would you feel if Rayman was the extra 8th DLC character in Sm4sh?
Should have been there from the get go, the trophy was such a tease lol

Also you read my mind for his specials in your moveset list, good stuff

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don't know if anyone else has seen development of the Bayonetta 3 case, but....

According to people who wished not to be identified because they weren't authorized to discuss private negotiations, Platinum wanted to hire Taylor for 5 sessions for 3,000 to 4,000 for 4 hours. Per session, that would actually make her total pay a sum of 15,000 to 20,000 US dollars. Taylor apparently wanted a 6-figure sum(which would be a total of $100,000 or past that) as well as residuals on the game. Platinum declined and after lengthy negotiations, took auditions for a new VA. At some point, Platinum apparently reached out to her again for a cameo and pay her 4,000 for the one session and she turned it down.
Besides that, apparently the acting costs for Bayonetta 3 were higher than other projects as they relied on union performers, which at the minimum would be $900 for a 4-hour session plus bonuses, whereas Helena was making more than that.

After this came out, Taylor is standing her ground by saying it's a lie and they are trying to save face, additionally with her saying she wants to put the franchise behind her and get on with her life(which some people have noted is very different from her tone from her videos where she sounded like she really wanted to be part of it again). Platinum and Nintendo representatives haven't responded to requests for comments and Kamiya posted on Twitter that her allegations were sad and deplorable. Basically, it's back to the "he-said, she said" scenario for the time being.
---
Still not going to be a fun week for Bayonetta fans. And once again, it sucks that we may still not get the full story because of tight-lipping and NDAs. Regardless of who's right, there still needs to be big reminders that it's important to get both sides of the story first instead of immediately going to the one side without hearing the other's story.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Decided to share a Rayman moveset that I just now finished after putting it off for over a year.
Thank you for not giving him a dumb meter/comeback/command input mechanic; once again I can't stand those. The hair glide actually feels like something that could be given to other characters.

Speaking of gliding, I think that could be brought back but nerfed so that gliding characters can't hold it indefinitely. We should even have different "types" of glides where winged characters like Meta Knight and Pit can only move forward while characters like Yoshi and Perkilator's Rayman can "hover" in place. And then there would be Peach's float that should be given to other characters as well.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I don't know if anyone else has seen development of the Bayonetta 3 case, but....

According to people who wished not to be identified because they weren't authorized to discuss private negotiations, Platinum wanted to hire Taylor for 5 sessions for 3,000 to 4,000 for 4 hours. Per session, that would actually make her total pay a sum of 15,000 to 20,000 US dollars. Taylor apparently wanted a 6-figure sum(which would be a total of $100,000 or past that) as well as residuals on the game. Platinum declined and after lengthy negotiations, took auditions for a new VA. At some point, Platinum apparently reached out to her again for a cameo and pay her 4,000 for the one session and she turned it down.
Besides that, apparently the acting costs for Bayonetta 3 were higher than other projects as they relied on union performers, which at the minimum would be $900 for a 4-hour session plus bonuses, whereas Helena was making more than that.

After this came out, Taylor is standing her ground by saying it's a lie and they are trying to save face, additionally with her saying she wants to put the franchise behind her and get on with her life(which some people have noted is very different from her tone from her videos where she sounded like she really wanted to be part of it again). Platinum and Nintendo representatives haven't responded to requests for comments and Kamiya posted on Twitter that her allegations were sad and deplorable. Basically, it's back to the "he-said, she said" scenario for the time being.
---
Still not going to be a fun week for Bayonetta fans. And once again, it sucks that we may still not get the full story because of tight-lipping and NDAs. Regardless of who's right, there still needs to be big reminders that it's important to get both sides of the story first instead of immediately going to the one side without hearing the other's story.
I think most Bayonetta fans are just happy the game is almost here after ages of waiting. To be blunt, no matter who is being truthful, it won't notably affect the sales of the game. Even when it was just her side. A skirmish of VAs isn't going to make or break a title, look at MGSV.

If anything, all this talk is probably a net plus.

Though I agree you have to remember when getting one person's account that it is always just one side of the story.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
It's really too bad that there wasn't a Castlevania Retro Medley in Ultimate. I hope there's at least one in the next game if Simon and Richter return.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I would like to say as a child of the 70s and 80s that video game music has and always will be my most appreciated aspect of game design. Almost 40 years have passed and I still whistle those tunes, while reminiscing at my young self being both mesmerized and deep in concentration.

And the brilliant part is it's only 8 bars on repeat with each motif exactly 2 bars. And yet it's varied enough and properly progressive that it doesn't sound monotonous. Add to this a great use of syncopation and a strong bass line; Magical... AND then you add the great sound effects and the whole audio experience is elevated to prolific...

Side opinion:

The "limitations" of hardware led to amazing feats of ingenuity. What game devs opined for was a means to make games more realistic. Now we're there, is it possible the loss of these limits have somehow degraded such earlier ingenuity? Have popular games not benefited from being more "simplistic" because games aren't meant to be movies with buttons (unless it's dragon's lair)?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The "limitations" of hardware led to amazing feats of ingenuity. What game devs opined for was a means to make games more realistic. Now we're there, is it possible the loss of these limits have somehow degraded such earlier ingenuity? Have popular games not benefited from being more "simplistic" because games aren't meant to be movies with buttons (unless it's dragon's lair)?
so does that mean you wont be on board when i make a 3d platformer where every world opens with a jaunty musical number?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I hope it goes better than 3D platformer where every world ended with a musical number...
Lol! Guy reminds me of the first time I saw...

... but instead of laughing more of a .. uhh ... and it never really went back from that lol I don't think I ever finished that game...

Edit

Dammit this song gonna be in my head all day now

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
In terms of visuals I think video games have benefitted greatly from realism. Now devs have the ability to put in as much detail as possible.

In terms of content and mechanics, I do think games have suffered from "realism". Now modern AAA games dually suffer from repetitive content to inflate playtime and more mechanics than both devs and players know what to do with.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Disney said that Oswald the Lucky Rabbit was too difficult to use in Kingdom Hearts 3, I don't see what was difficult though, I think Oswald could play a great role in the Kingdom Hearts series.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I think Nomura mentioned it at a concert or something? Apparently, Oswald is one of his favorite Disney characters, so he wanted to add him to KH3, but some sort of complications got in the way. Can't remember exactly what, though...
The Universal Pictures trade with a sports newscast was like years before Kingdom Hearts III started development. i don't see the problem.

Quillion

Smash Hero
personally i disagree. i feel the realism has led us into the uncanny valley
I see where you're coming from with character models, but inanimate objects and sedentary life like plants benefit greatly from realism.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Mortal Kombat too ... I think realism is well expressed in many great games. I also love games like Fire Emblem that add embellishments and scenery etc but it's core remains "cartoony" instead of Game of Thrones.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Realism is a style like anything else; with the right setting and type of game it can be a huge benefit, but when done lazily very much a detriment.

I think the late 6th/early 7th generation of games ended up doing some real damage to the aesthetic 's reputation thanks to the "real is brown" mentality about naturalistic landscapes and a belief that real was by its very nature gritty. Especially when one can go back to games like the DKC trilogy which blended the fanastically cartoonish and almost atmospheric realism beautifully.

Gloomy Gulch features cute monkeys, ghosts, and giant porcupines, and it still invokes a better sense of "reality' more than half the washed out FPS shooters in the PS3/Xbox 360 era do.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Well the thing is we'd never get to the stage of approaching photorealism without the awkward years in the uncanny valley. Can't jump right to the end, it's not realistic. Gotta work out the kinks and evolve with technology.

One day when things are indistinguishable, we never would've got there without the polygon fests and all those unnatural ass NPCs.

And as long as Japan is around video games will always still have cartoony weirdness.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Personally, I don't think Melee's art style is that good, and Brawl's just sucks.

Smash 4 and on returning to brightness was the right call. They can keep recycling those models for all I care, and I hope they do so for the next Smash (while still freshening the core gameplay).

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I don't think any of the Smash games have a bad art style.

I know people come down harder on Brawl because the more realistic style doesn't age as well (and also because people just come down hard on Brawl), but I like that they took characters in a direction Nintendo rarely allows. It's not like a seventh-gen game not still looking as good as it once did is at all shocking.

I do think the more pastel style of Ultimate washes some characters out to the extent they look better with a more vibrant style, but again... it's not like any of the styles are bad.

The Smash art team clearly works hard to make things aesthetically cohesive (unless that's not the point), which is much easier said than done when working with so many disparate properties.

Also keep in mind that the Smash style usually corresponds to the aesthetic of the most recent Zelda.

Ivander

Smash Legend
After seeing the Silent Hill Transmission video, is it wrong that I want Silent Hill as a playable stage in Smash? Don't ask me why, I just think it would look cool.
Would certainly be a fitting stage for 'Ambient" music. Like hearing a bunch of ambient and horror-sounding noises, than you hear the siren at some point. Like I know ambient and Environmental noise-focused music for Smash doesn't the best with alot of characters making noises or people talking as they are playing, but you gotta have a track that lets you hear the siren alarm in it's glory.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Would certainly be a fitting stage for 'Ambient" music. Like hearing a bunch of ambient and horror-sounding noises, than you hear the siren at some point. Like I know ambient and Environmental noise-focused music for Smash doesn't the best with alot of characters making noises or people talking as they are playing, but you gotta have a track that lets you hear the siren alarm in it's glory.
I'd have to agree.

As for a playable character from Silent Hill, they could go with one of the playable humans, or an NPC human. Still, I think a logical choice they would go with would be one of the enemies. Maybe the Pyramid Head?

But yeah, the ambience you said would make a Silent Hill stage for Smash quite the interesting, and maybe fun stage.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What's darkly amusing about Pyramid Head is that in most cases you'd think such disturbing character (especially given the context of their existence from SH2) would be one the company they're from would not be inclined to put in as a mascot for a wacky party game.

Cut to Konami in 2017:

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something I will say is that between the Suikoden revival and the smorgasbord of SH content, it does feel like Konami's has finally started their phase of ramping up production on the major IP's again. I've always suspected that the retreat back to largely Japanese markets in the past few years was in a lot of ways both a reset of the company and effectively a way to lick their wounds after the MGSV debacle. Essentially focus on safe'/modest releases, build up the coffers with profits from eBaseball games, Yu-Gi-Oh titles, and collections before eventually putting that money back into the big stuff when the time was right.

While I still don't think big AAA projects are happening anytime soon given Konami's current strategy, (with even SH2 Remake essentially existing because Sony's funding/paying for much of it) overall it does feel a lot closer to potentially seeing new media from the likes of Castlevania and even Metal Gear than we were three years ago.

Top Bottom