• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend
What's darkly amusing about Pyramid Head is that in most cases you'd think such disturbing character (especially given the context of their existence from SH2) would be one the company they're from would not be inclined to put in as a mascot for a wacky party game.

Cut to Konami in 2017:

I mean, Pyramid Head joined Track & Field at one point and even went go karting with other Konami characters already.

The only reason we hesitate with a Pyramid Head appearance in Smash Bros. is because of how accurate and true Sakurai wants the characters to be, and in Pyramid Head's case, he's often very brutal and disturbing. It wasn't until Bayonetta and Smash Ultimate that the brutal and disturbing stuff weren't as avoided.
I don't think he'd be that brutal and disturbing if you simply take the blood away from Pyramid Head's design, and Pyramid Head's design becomes more tamer without the blood. We have a whole bunch of characters with giant sword weapons, with Pyramid Head's knife not being that disimilar from Cloud's Buster Sword, and we also have characters like Ridley and Kazuya who have some brutal moves, so Pyramid Head doesn't need to lose all of his brutality. And you don't need to make Pyramid Head 100% disturbing, because he's had scenes where he's simple and having fun with everybody else, like that one ending in Silent Hill Downpour where all of the characters are wishing happy birthday to Murphy and Pyramid Head comes in to cut the cake.

So honestly, I think Pyramid Head would work as the main choice for a Silent Hill character for Smash Bros.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Sakurai did his best to satisfy many people as he could to make their dreams a reality.
Despite some heartbreaking choices,
Screenshot_20210629-122546_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20221019-200333_YouTube.jpg
Smash Ultimate is a game many cannot forget. If he does another, let's give him slack as people can only do so much for one game.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, what is a franchise that you see people talk about that you think is more important and influential than commonly stated?

I think Bravely Default is certainly up there. Horror games in general. Ace Attorney and Professor Layton as well.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
So, what is a franchise that you see people talk about that you think is more important and influential than commonly stated?

I think Bravely Default is certainly up there. Horror games in general. Ace Attorney and Professor Layton as well.
Virtua Fighter, Harvest Moon, X-COM, probably Phantasy Star in Japan.

Then there are ones that are quite influential but aren't that talked about anymore. Ultima, System Shock, OutRun, Defender.

Though on here anything that doesn't contribute one of the like fifteen or so candidates the last few years have discussed on repeat is overlooked.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I'd say Sakura Wars, since it's one of the earlier text-choice-based games to exist.

On a similar note, what are some franchises that are memorable to you but deserve to be more popular than they actually are (not necessarily restricted to video games)? There are so many I can list, but the one that comes to my mind is definitely Pretty Cure.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I'd say Sakura Wars, since it's one of the earlier text-choice-based games to exist.

On a similar note, what are some franchises that are memorable to you but deserve to be more popular than they actually are (not necessarily restricted to video games)? There are so many I can list, but the one that comes to my mind is definitely Pretty Cure.
Metroid?

I wish it was as big and successful as people are under the impression it is.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Same, I miss the 2000s where the Metroid Prime series and Fusion were such big hits. Nowadays the series is considered barebones.
I mean, this is kind of it. Technically Dread was bigger than either of those games, people just treat the series as in a league above what it's actually in.

I just wish its actual stature was commensurate with the waves it seems to project online. Then the series wouldn't be at risk of disappearing for the better part of a decade. Or at least it'd be unlikelier.

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
I mean, this is kind of it. Technically Dread was bigger than either of those games, people just treat the series as in a league above what it's actually in.

I just wish its actual stature was commensurate with the waves it seems to project online. Then the series wouldn't be at risk of disappearing for the better part of a decade. Or at least it'd be unlikelier.
True, and honestly well deserved. All I can hope for is the future of the series now.

And the Jaffe Room as a stage in the next smash

dream1ng

Smash Champion
True, and honestly well deserved. All I can hope for is the future of the series now.

And the Jaffe Room as a stage in the next smash
The only problem is if some characters spawn on top and some spawn on the bottom there's no way for them to fight each other because of that presumably unbreakable divider between them. Bad game design.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I want to make a Jaffe Room custom stage now.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion

I think some of Nihon Falcom games like Ys, Dragon Slayer, and Xanadu kind of fit that.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i'd certainly like to think AA and PL are influential but i'm incredibly bias towards them

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Well now we HAVE to talk about Sakurai's vids...

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely not looking forward to Sakurai low-key ****ting on Melee's mechanics and the like next video but this was really cool. I can't believe we finally have real footage of Dragon King.

Also the RC game he talked about kind of reminds me of Geist. Geist really should have been a stealth game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Monster Hunter honestly.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Golden Axe and Final Fight(and maybe Streets of Rage to some degree) I would say are up there for Beat-em-Ups, as while Beat-em-ups were a thing before them, they were used as the design/model basis for future Beat-em-ups and practically kicked off a whole generation of Beat-em-ups. And obviously, Final Fight played a big role for Street Fighter 2.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

• Ducktales for the NES
  • TMNT arcade game
  • GoldenEye 64
Yeah i'm being sarcastic with you

Quillion

Smash Hero

You know, since Smash is deliberately combo-unfocused as confirmed by this video, but at least wants to have some combos from Smash 4 on, I feel like the solution is to have a burst mechanic, where everyone has an instant "get off me" tool and therefore allows even more risk/reward in scoring and defending against combos.

It would also solve the problem of the meager depth provided by Melee's L-Canceling, making it so that there are ways to break out of an opponent's pressure without implementing a repetitive "QTE" on every aerial.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Man, that moment when he was talking about the main character issue with fighting games, he was just frickin' flexing his knowledge of games in general. Like he could have showed the rosters of popular fighting games alot of people knew about, but instead he showed off 5 games that an absolute majority of people would never have heard about. Like I knew about Golden Axe The Duel, but the other 4 I didn't know about.

Like I'm just waiting for if and when he does the next Smash Bros, he adds a very unknown character and despite no one having any clue, does a whole talk section on that character as if that character was alot bigger than you'd think they were. And I'd be 100% invested in seeing and listening to that.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How long until someone makes a fighting game with this exact roster?

I'm tempted to, since I have some MUGEN knowledge, but I have very little in the way of talent with art or making sprites. (I could see it being pretty entertaining, at least)

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

I'm tempted to, since I have some MUGEN knowledge, but I have very little in the way of talent with art or making sprites. (I could see it being pretty entertaining, at least)
Wicker Man Nic Cage main all the way

Ivander

Smash Legend

I'm curious on what characters would be the representation of the characters shown.
  • Like the Sentai character would probably represent Captain Falcon, due to Captain Falcon being very Sentai/Kamen Rider inspired.
  • The Boy in the little vehicle world probably represent Bowser Jr, due to riding both riding a mode of transportation for battling.
  • There isn't a character with a Mascot costume in Smash, but Banjo-Kazooie would probably still fit if you take the term "Mascot Fighter" literally.
  • The closest to the Swordswoman would be Lucina, maybe Palutena, although currently, there is no female fighter with both a sword and a shield. Although I can't help but think of Alis Landale when looking at the female fighter.
There are no characters for the Water Mage, Gladiatorial Dual-wielder or Ghost to represent, although if he was in, the Dual-wielder could represent Lloyd Irving for the dual-wielding and red color scheme. But that said, a Water Mage character or a Ghost character in Smash would be pretty interesting.

Edit: That aside, what about commissioning some of the Smashified artists to make Smashified Art of these characters?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm curious on what characters would be the representation of the characters shown.
  • Like the Sentai character would probably represent Captain Falcon, due to Captain Falcon being very Sentai/Kamen Rider inspired.
  • The Boy in the little vehicle world probably represent Bowser Jr, due to riding both riding a mode of transportation for battling.
  • There isn't a character with a Mascot costume in Smash, but Banjo-Kazooie would probably still fit if you take the term "Mascot Fighter" literally.
  • The closest to the Swordswoman would be Lucina, maybe Palutena, although currently, there is no female fighter with both a sword and a shield. Although I can't help but think of Alis Landale when looking at the female fighter.
There are no characters for the Water Mage, Gladiatorial Dual-wielder or Ghost to represent, although if he was in, the Dual-wielder could represent Lloyd Irving for the dual-wielding and red color scheme. But that said, a Water Mage character or a Ghost character in Smash would be pretty interesting.

Edit: That aside, what about commissioning some of the Smashified artists to make Smashified Art of these characters?
The character with the sword and shield is a pretty clear nod to Dragon Quest heroes imo.

Also, we do have a bear mascot costume character:

1666288493945.png

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
King Boo for Smash, please Nintendo!

I don't know about water mage characters except Juvia or like Irenes maybe?
Maybe that one girl from Final Fantasy 10? I think her name was Yuna or something (I don't even remember if she was a water mage...)?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i think they're just random examples not actual stand ins

Ivander

Smash Legend
i think they're just random examples not actual stand ins
They are, but I thought I'd have fun tying them to currant characters in Smash.
Maybe that one girl from Final Fantasy 10? I think her name was Yuna or something (I don't even remember if she was a water mage...)?
Yuna is a White Mage/Summoner. She does have alot of scenes where she's surrounded by water.

Pure Water Mages themselves are very rare, mostly because they are often conjoined with Ice mages/magic, since you know, ice is water. I mean, the closest Nintendo has to Water Mages would be the Mercury Adepts from Golden Sun, like Mia and Piers.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Pure Water Mages themselves are very rare, mostly because they are often conjoined with Ice mages/magic, since you know, ice is water. I mean, the closest Nintendo has to Water Mages would be the Mercury Adepts from Golden Sun, like Mia and Piers.
So we gotta wait until after Isaac gets added before we can get a Water Mage, got it.

Top Bottom