• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean look at the Movies Both Charles Martinet and Roger Craig smith werent cast for the Characters that they voiced for years!
As unfortunate as that is, at least a movie could be argued as targeting a larger/different audience and thus either is going in a contrasting direction or wants name value for buzz. While not wholly justifiable, at least its understandable. The Bayo 3 situation appears to be either the developers being very cheap or arbritarily changing performers in the middle of a game series and not being upfront about it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Update time!

I got in contact with Gosokkyu and got more information. If you want to take a read through the twitter thread, but I think it further validates everything said before. We can also officially confirm that it was Sakurai who was a contest winner for the Phantasy Star Contest.

So, what are y'alls thoughts? I know @Speed Weed will be ecstatic, but what do you all think? Also, what do you all think about Phantasy Star potentially appearing in Smash.
Well, I have no connections to Phantasy Star, but like I said earlier there are VERY few characters I'm outright against. All you gotta do is convince me that PS would be a good fit for Smash (which isn't even that hard), and I'll be right on board.

Also, it's always fun watching THOSE Smash fans get mad at more anime swordfighters. You know the ones...

Quillion

Smash Hero
As unfortunate as that is, at least a movie could be argued as targeting a larger/different audience and thus either is going in a contrasting direction or wants name value for buzz. While not wholly justifiable, at least its understandable. The Bayo 3 situation appears to be either the developers being very cheap or arbritarily changing performers in the middle of a game series and not being upfront about it.
Still, I'd say the "celebrification" in voice acting is part of the larger cultural mistreatment of western dedicated voice actors. Voice acting is as different from film acting as film acting itself is from stage acting. Yet western studios don't promote dedicated voice actors on account of them being "invisible", making them much more prone to their current mistreatment.

Voice actors in general might need to strike, this time far beyond video games.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Imma talk about Smash now k.

Man I just feel like there are a couple of glaring **** ups in Simon/Richter's design. So Sakurai and team actually did something unique and cool with them by giving them angled Back-Airs and Forward-Airs. Quick aside but maybe this could potentially be explored further with other characters' Back-Air and Forward-Airs? I would have loved this for Sephiroth and I think it would have worked well for him.

Anyway but why did they skip out on applying this to freaking Forward-Tilt? The much more common angled attack... Hell they even went as far as to allow angled hits with their forward Smash the next most common angled attack. It just feels missing and they feel wrong without it. I hope it wasn't sacrificed for that stupid whip-twirl reference. Or even worse Sakurai might have thought it was more fitting to keep Simon/Richter's Forward-Tilt static to keep it more aligned with their original appearances... That would be so stupid but it also seems to me like the kind of bull**** to cross Sakurai's mind.

On top of all of this I'm sorry but why does Byleth have Simon/Richter's rightful Up-Air? Their Up-Smash and Up-Air being exactly the same attack is so annoying and cumbersome. Just flat-out bad design. Maybe we could have gone a little crazier with them and allowed for them to angle their Up-Smash too? That would have been fun for catching bad landings.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Hey, Oracle Link Oracle Link

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Hey, Oracle Link Oracle Link
Neat! I do have to say i didnt see a DM Moveset ill completly agree With either they do gore which is more zeros thing or they use the swordsman only!
I do plan on doing some movesets for DM and BWD!

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

I dunno sometime ppl can be downers or whatever but sheesh I like to think the switch and Smash are some reasons why some developers think about resurrecting their dormant IPs.

I will totally be psyched for a SH rep even as an Assist like Fatal Frame got... Imagine Pyramid Head stalking the players while the whole stage is washed in the classic School Hallway after the Horn Blow.... Like you pick it up and instead of the normal sound you get a total volume drop as the screen darkens to that sickly red... then...

The whole time he's out.

God's please!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I liked the part where he directly talked about visual novels and text adventure games.

Because for some reason, there's a lot of debate in Smash fandom on whether the former counts as proper video games or not.
and now we sakurai counts them and that’s what matters in terms of getting characters in smash

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Im not the biggest Sakurai Fan as Both His Kirby Games are Outclassed by Newer Ones and Smash is Mostly Great Because of the Many IPs that Sakurai didnt Create and kirby which he Misrepresents!
Still Nice of Him to work on Games i guess and he knows his Craft but i dont think he deserves Much more Adoration than ALL The Hundreds of ther People working On Smash!
Hes Probably a Swell guy and heck Toby Fox Seems To like him so yeah!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Im not the biggest Sakurai Fan as Both His Kirby Games are Outclassed by Newer Ones!
And Smash is Mostly Great Because of the Many IPs that Sakurai didnt Create and kirby which he Misrepresents!
Still Nice of Him to work on Games i guess and he knows his Craft but i dont think he deserves Much more Adoration than ALL The Hundreds of ther People working On Smash!
you know he made more than two Kirby games

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
The only way Nintendo can get off from this VA controversy, is by magically announce a third fighter pass with all 4th Party characters; Like Goku, Squidward, the Penguin king from the Mario movie, Homer Simpson, and the entire human cast of the Transformers movies made by Michael Bay.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The only way Nintendo can get off from this VA controversy, is by magically announce a third fighter pass with all 4th Party characters; Like Goku, Squidward, the Penguin king from the Mario movie, Homer Simpson, and the entire human cast of the Transformers movies made by Michael Bay.
90799EB8-961B-4C14-9606-07DC0CC385A6.jpeg

…I’m sorry but this is kind of tone deaf. I don’t think you fully understand the seriousness of this controversy.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Nothing will remove the controversy except a retraction by the plaintiff and even then the focus has been placed upon the poor pay for VAs.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Im not the biggest Sakurai Fan as Both His Kirby Games are Outclassed by Newer Ones and Smash is Mostly Great Because of the Many IPs that Sakurai didnt Create and kirby which he Misrepresents!
This is certainly a normal comment that makes perfect sense in the discussions in the thread and definitely not an awkwardly out-of-nowhere rant at all.

Also, something something franchises eventually outgrowing the previous entries is a normal occurrence and there's much more to Smash's greatness than just represented IPs and Sakurai's direction is a big part of it

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
This is one of the most tone deaf and callous things that I have seen said here in a while. Nintendo does not have an in case of emergency break glass button to fulfill a fringe belief. Implying that fulfilling some sort of fringe belief is the only way to fix the problem instead of you know, fixing the ****ing problem is just juvenile.

Genuinely asking, what made you think posting this was a good idea? This feels like a troll post at best and a tone deaf callous opinion at worst.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Of all the times you can ramble about how much you want 4th parties in Smash, you choose NOW?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Speaking of VA, I've always found it strange that while a few Nintendo IP are moving towards bigger-name voice actors, the EPD-made games still shy away from that.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Speaking of VA, I've always found it strange that while a few Nintendo IP are moving towards bigger-name voice actors, the EPD-made games still shy away from that.
I think it depends on the developer. I know Intelligent Systems and Monolith Soft have worked with some decently big names and with VAs from unions.

Quillion

Smash Hero
which nintendo IPs are you referring to?
Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, Splatoon... the ones made by Nintendo EPD.

I think it depends on the developer. I know Intelligent Systems and Monolith Soft have worked with some decently big names and with VAs from unions.
That's what I'm saying; Nintendo's various teams work with big name VAs except for Nintendo EPD.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Prolly cause Miyomto-san

looks

General Manager:
Shinya Takahashi
Deputy General Managers:
Katsuya Eguchi
Eiji Aonuma
Hisashi Nogami
Yoshiaki Koizumi
Senior Officers:
Takashi Tezuka
Yoshio Sakamoto
Kensuke Tanabe

Wait... Who?

Looks again

Ahh so he's more like ... An ever present Shadow now making Big bucks with this movie and ****.

Good on him, he deserves it.

But that means it's them folks decisions but I dunno has their games ever had notable VA? Sure I mean... That catchy Mario song jump up in the air we sing it all the time ... She's Saber IIRC. And the lady that sings SSBU spires of flaaaame she's Ivy from Carmen Sandiego I think but yeah I loved that show. But so actually they do hire talent it's just ... I think the VA being named is a publicity thing for some IPs and that prolly ticked her off the most cause it's like you're trading on Bayonetta. I'm Bayonetta. Reminds me of when David Hayter did not voice Snake and I'm like ... Ew.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Truth be told, I suspect the VA controversy won't likely affect Bayo 3's sales that much either. Its definitely the kind of bad PR to get Platinum and/or Nintendo to put out a statement, but I think there's likely enough fans that see the situation as muddled enough to still buy the game.

In news even less related to Smash, hypothetically we might be getting a Silent Hill Switch game soon

Silent Hill Presentation by Konami to Air on 10/19

I say hypothetically because I think its more likely that, given the West is far more interested in SH than Japan, Konami's likely partnered with Sony for at least one exclusive release for PS4/PS5. Playstation has no presence back home (hence why any series oriented for that market like Suikoden will probably always get Switch versions), but if Sony's willing to foot a lot of the bill I can easily see Konami willing to let them have at least timed exclusivity.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm willing to bet the Silent Hill announcement is just for a TV show. Which will be cool, but not as cool as a game.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm willing to bet the Silent Hill announcement is just for a TV show. Which will be cool, but not as cool as a game.
I know ifs foolhardy for someone on Smashboards of all places to buy into leak culture, but part of me thinks there might actually be something to the rumors about various games being worked on. I don't think they'll be major AAA releases barring a Sony funded one given Konami's current MO is to be modest with its budgets, but a remake and/or an episodic release would be the kind of safe and more importantly, less expensive route for them.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'd buy the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games rereleased on switch so fast. I haven't played Dead by Daylight tho.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Masahiro Ito is counting down to the presentation on his Twitter and Akira Yamaoka retweeted the announcement so its likely they're involved in something.

For the record, the big speculation for the SH announcements are:

-New mainline title (possibly a co-production with Sony?)
-Remake of older game (likely SH2)
-Spin-off series being done episodically

It would be interesting if one of these were a Switch release and we got some SH presence in Smash via a future release. Even something like a few spirits would make for some fun battles at least.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
One step forward, two steps back. Wouldn't be the first time Konami went that route...

But hey: whatever it is, it could help introduce the series to a new audience. That's good for Smash speculation, right?
Yes! SH is a big omission to me and to a lesser extent RE (the GameCube era was awesome with Konami and especially the collaboration between their dev teams). Fatal Frame was a nice way to slip Survival Horror into the Smash scene but I'd like them to embrace it more.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I can only hope this is the beginning of Konami having its 8th-gen Capcom moment.

BTW, I know this is from a hypothetical second PlayStation All Stars, but this guy has an argument that a SH protag would make a better playable character than Pyramid Head.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I can only hope this is the beginning of Konami having its 8th-gen Capcom moment.
Part of that was because of Capcom's developers and their upper-management working their damnedest in getting their act back together. Konami's biggest issue is the lack of connection between their upper-management and their developers and alot of Konami's problem comes from the upper management. And since they are the ones in control of Konami, that change may never come, especially with the success of their smaller budget titles.

Konami needs more than just good games to have it's Capcom moment. It needs a big inner structural rework and a big effort from the upper-management to give a **** and take it's games and developers seriously.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Konami needs motivation to have a big Capcom 8th gen moment.

Lest we forget, the company has their hands in many entertainment ventures besides video games, and makes a lot of their moves accordingly. They are to a point able to sustain certain dips in the gaming division because of their large overall ownership. Moreover the major change about Konami's reputation happened far more in the West than Japan. There were fans back home not thrilled about what happened with Kojima, but because certain local oriented series were kept going (or in case of arcades were barely affected at all), any fall in the public's eyes fell closer to "great developer now just a good one" rather than the gaming cultural pariah they're seen as in North American and Europe. Its why the company was able to retreat inwards for several years to sustain itself and even grow its profit.

Konami may not be against doing major projects with the likes of Castlevania or Silent Hill in principal, but if they get get money from a licensed TV series with former and safe results from potentially doing remakes with the latter, it will take a lot of convincing for them to change their path.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Honestly it'd be a mistake to bet the farm on a massive risk so as is clear they're not dumb ... I await whatever it may be. But if it's true SH isn't so popular in Japan then it'll have to be a western concept in terms of marketing which means even a PC or mobile experience isn't off the table. Definitely PS4/5 maybe even Xbox ... Switch can get the retreads while everyone with a real machine can ... Get lost in the mists.

Edit

Ah The plot thickens!

Last edited:
Top Bottom