• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I would like to say as a child of the 70s and 80s that video game music has and always will be my most appreciated aspect of game design. Almost 40 years have passed and I still whistle those tunes, while reminiscing at my young self being both mesmerized and deep in concentration.

Vampire Killer is dog**** compared to Bloody Tears!!

Would pyramid head work as a boss?
Makes more sense as an AT.

I think some of Nihon Falcom games like Ys, Dragon Slayer, and Xanadu.
Agreed.

Also, Xanadu IS a Dragon Slayer!

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if I asked this already but does anybody think that Snake being used for the Ralf & Clark spirit battle was like a low-key reference to Contra?

Agreed.

Also, Xanadu IS a Dragon Slayer!
Yeah but isn't it a spin-off or something?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We don't have an Earth Mage/Earth Magic-focused character, so Elemental Mage fans would be winning regardless.
Yeah, that'd be nice. Sure, Isaac can deviate from it due to the class system, but the closest we got is Ivysaur, and it's no Mage. Or even a Battle Mage of sorts(usually the term is based upon whether they're also good at physical combat with a weapon or not. But also generally refers to that combined with Arcade Magic, hence why it's not the same thing as a Paladin or Cleric(though more or less, they fall under the same general idea)).

I'd love to see some multi-elemental mages, besides more or less Robin. But it's not a focus for them. Just like Hero isn't focused on a particular element or set, even with Magic being a fairly big focus of his character.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
what are people's thought on my wish-list for _ Smash 6

1 adding these characters _ note more definitely could be added
1A = Ahri
1B = Master Chief
1C = Impa ( AoC )
1D = Mio
1E = Taion
1F = New Pokemon
1G = New ( Tales of ) Character
1H = Ryza from Atelier Ryza 3

2 make the final smashes only come from breaking the smash ball

3 add an ( aerial smash attack ) button

4 Rework some characters movesets like ; ( Samus & Dark Samus ) & Ganondorf & Mario & Kirby

5 give us lots of great casual stages like Poke Floats.

6 Do Not bring back stage Hazards which _ KO players / CPUs
6A; please do not bring back any stages with water

7 give us lots of good competitive stages

8 give us better _ Assist Trophies _ which act more like Mini Bosses

Quote Reply
Report Edit

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
1A - bleh
1B - fine
1C - good
1D - bleh
1E - double bleh!
1F - yawn
1G -bleh
1H - fine

2 - no
3 - interesting
4 - sure
5 - sure
6 - shrug
6A - no
7 - sure
8 - Unnecessary

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Nope. It's a mainline game. It's Dragon Slayer 2.

That's the thing about the Dragon Slayer series, every game in the mainline series is completely different. And each of those games end up becoming it's own series.

Hell, the entire Legend of Heroes series comes from Dragon Slayer 6.
Interesting. Ys might as well be related to it too by this point. I'd be kind of surprised if it's not.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Imagine if Kirby got Forgotten Land content.

Some examples:
  • Mouthful Modes as Trophies (Shame trophies were cut)
  • Fecto Elfilis as either a fighter or a boss (Not before Bandana Dee gets in)
  • Any of the levels as new stages like the Mall or even Wondaria
  • Big Rig as Kirby's new Final Smash
  • New music tracks like Roar of Dedede and Full-Speed Farewell

dream1ng

Smash Champion

1 adding these characters _ note more definitely could be added
1A = Ahri
You can push for Ahri all you like, but if it's anyone, it'll be Jinx.

1B = Master Chief
Yep

1C = Impa ( AoC )
It'd be cool, but a spinoff version of the character is very unlikely.

Possible, though contingent on the nonexistence of future titles. Also I'd give Noah the odds, but it's fine.

1E = Taion
It's not happening

1F = New Pokemon
First of all, it's obviously happening. Secondly, your wishlist has "New Pokemon" on it? You know you could wish for... something specific...

1G = New ( Tales of ) Character
Maybe, but it's probably going to be a longstanding popular one. It's not like Tales is first-party.

1H = Ryza from Atelier Ryza 3
Ok

2 make the final smashes only come from breaking the smash ball
Nah, more options is better. You can just pick the one you like.

3 add an ( aerial smash attack ) button
Sure

4 Rework some characters movesets like ; ( Samus & Dark Samus ) & Ganondorf & Mario & Kirby
I think most people want some version of this

5 give us lots of great casual stages like Poke Floats.
Most people don't like stages with a bunch of intrusive, distracting ****, so if we don't get those at the expense of the other kind, sure.

And yeah people like Poke Floats, some for a "so bad it's good" kinda reason, so sure.

6 Do Not bring back stage Hazards which _ KO players / CPUs
6A; please do not bring back any stages with water
There are some pretty good stages with water, so on this we disagree

7 give us lots of good competitive stages
So... good competitive stages and good casual stages? So just... good stages.

Sure, why not.

8 give us better _ Assist Trophies _ which act more like Mini Bosses
I think if the AT stuck around too long most people would get annoyed.

Plus people pretty much hated the stage minibosses. But to each their own, I guess.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
umm _ Ahri _ has been the face of _ League of Legends _ for a lot longer than _ Jinx _ has been the face of _ Wild Rift.

what gives you the idea the next _ Smash Producer _ will break tradition and not go with the most long standing face of the franchise?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Kirby's Forgotten Land representation would be:
Three spirits and a song, take it or leave it.

I could see us getting one song from the game

and... maybe a spirit or spirit equivalent.

And... that's it.

Sakurai never gives Kirby games that weren't directed by him any better representation.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
umm _ Ahri _ has been the face of _ League of Legends _ for a lot longer than _ Jinx _ has been the face of _ Wild Rift.

what gives you the idea the next _ Smash Producer _ will break tradition and not go with the most long standing face of the franchise?
Because it's not 2013; Jinx is the face now (if there was to be one) and has been for a minute. It's not just Wild Rift, Wild Rift is an example.

Jinx has the show, Jinx got into Fortnite, Jinx has (I believe) the most merch, Jinx is by far the most recognizable champion. She has the degree of general popularity Ahri, and basically every other champion, lacks.

It's not breaking tradition, it's choosing Cloud over Black Mage.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I got a question, does Kirby's Forgotten Land feature any kind of Nintendo references?

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Interesting. Ys might as well be related to it too by this point. I'd be kind of surprised if it's not.
Ys is pretty much the only Falcom thing of note that's not part of the Dragon Slayer series.

Because the world doesn't care. Arcane has made Jynx the face of the franchise.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Yep

It'd be cool, but a spinoff version of the character is very unlikely.

Possible, though contingent on the nonexistence of future titles. Also I'd give Noah the odds, but it's fine.

It's not happening

First of all, it's obviously happening. Secondly, your wishlist has "New Pokemon" on it? You know you could wish for... something specific...

Maybe, but it's probably going to be a longstanding popular one. It's not like Tales is first-party.

Ok

Nah, more options is better. You can just pick the one you like.

Sure

I think most people want some version of this

Most people don't like stages with a bunch of intrusive, distracting ****, so if we don't get those at the expense of the other kind, sure.

And yeah people like Poke Floats, some for a "so bad it's good" kinda reason, so sure.

There are some pretty good stages with water, so on this we disagree

So... good competitive stages and good casual stages? So just... good stages.

Sure, why not.

I think if the AT stuck around too long most people would get annoyed.

Plus people pretty much hated the stage minibosses. But to each their own, I guess.
I remember Ahri was the popular choice here before Arcane. I’m only really familiar with Arcane and less so LoL as a whole so Jinx would resonate more with me, although I still like Ahri’s design as well. Does anyone think Arcane has given Vi a chance or is Jinx too popular within LoL overall? In Arcane, Vi was at least as big of a focus. I would imagine that Vi’s fighting style is probably a bit better suited for a game like Smash than Jinx but I’d be happy with either.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Because it's not 2013; Jinx is the face now (if there was to be one) and has been for a minute. It's not just Wild Rift, Wild Rift is an example.

Jinx has the show, Jinx got into Fortnite, Jinx has (I believe) the most merch, Jinx is by far the most recognizable champion. She has the degree of general popularity Ahri, and basically every other champion, lacks.

It's not breaking tradition, it's choosing Cloud over Black Mage.
I think you are making big assumptions. Jinx is more popular than Ahri because Jinx is the character Riot Games is pushing. Rather than because Jinx is more likeable than Ahri, which Jinx is not. don't really think Fortnite is a good example as they typically pull in most non video game characters. Also just because Jinx is the character for marketing for now 2022 does not actually even make her the most popular character as far as players who play the game or money spent on her skins. those are other big considerations to make as well.

Assuming Cloud is an anomaly the SSBU roster, which i find hard to believe, what other character has gotten a spot before the historical primary protagonist of a series ?

If we were to get Jinx, i would largely expect us to get two characters 1 being Jinx the other being Ahri.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think you are making big assumptions. Jinx is more popular than Ahri because Jinx is the character Riot Games is pushing. Rather than because Jinx is more likeable than Ahri, which Jinx is not. don't really think Fortnite is a good example as they typically pull in most non video game characters. Also just because Jinx is the character for marketing for now 2022 does not actually even make her the most popular character as far as players who play the game or money spent on her skins. those are other big considerations to make as well.

Assuming Cloud is an anomaly the SSBU roster, which i find hard to believe, what other character has gotten a spot before the historical primary protagonist of a series ?

If we were to get Jinx, i would largely expect us to get two characters 1 being Jinx the other being Ahri.
One example I can think of is we got Joker from Persona 5 rather than the protagonist from either the first Persona or even mainline Shin Megami Tensei game. Back in the original Smash game, we even got Ness over Ninten, which was the original protagonist for the Mother series.

I’m not opposed to Ahri in Smash, I’m just more familiar with the characters in Arcane. That will probably expand with a second season. I recently bought Ruined King on sale so that will probably familiarize me with more of the characters once I can find the time to play it. I don’t really have any interest in playing the main LoL game since I’m terrible at competitive games but I enjoy the lore and characters so far.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
League tbh is certainly something that will probably be worth a consideration for Smash 6. League is huge. Like, it has more active players than the entire population of Great Britain, France, and Spain combined. That is huge. It also is big in other Asian markets, where we know Nintendo vocally wants to expand into. Nintendo even trusted Tencent, the company who owns league, with making Pokémon Unite. Honestly every little building block you could want to make the argument for a league character is there. I know plenty of people would loathe the idea of League in Smash: personally I’m ambivalent. Just brace yourself for the possibility that a League rep shows up in the next game.

Also yes, they would choose Jinx as the pick. She’s the face of League nowadays. She has the TV show, she has the merch, she has Wild Rift. If they went with a League rep, it would odds are be her at the end of the day for better and for worse.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
League tbh is certainly something that will probably be worth a consideration for Smash 6. League is huge. Like, it has more active players than the entire population of Great Britain, France, and Spain combined. That is huge. It also is big in other Asian markets, where we know Nintendo vocally wants to expand into. Nintendo even trusted Tencent, the company who owns league, with making Pokémon Unite. Honestly every little building block you could want to make the argument for a league character is there. I know plenty of people would loathe the idea of League in Smash: personally I’m ambivalent. Just brace yourself for the possibility that a League rep shows up in the next game.

Also yes, they would choose Jinx as the pick. She’s the face of League nowadays. She has the TV show, she has the merch, she has Wild Rift. If they went with a League rep, it would odds are be her at the end of the day for better and for worse.
I’m totally fine with it despite having no desire to ever play the main game. The characters from LoL have really cool designs overall and Arcane had a great story.

I’d also really love to see a character from StarCraft or WarCraft if Microsoft can clean up Activision/Blizzard’s act by the time the next Smash game selects its final roster. I’ve always really loved Blizzard’s character designs. I just wish they weren’t such a scummy company these days. Just the thought of seeing Samus vs Sarah Kerrigan, Ganondorf Vs Arthas, Sephiroth Vs Illidan, Mewtwo Vs Zeratul and other potential matchups is too cool.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
League of Legends? That's only on PC. Unless it comes to Nintendo consoles, I doubt that will be considered for Smash 6.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't think the Nintendo consoles thing matters much. It certainly helps but I don't think it's a requirement. It would diminish the whole "celebration of video games" thing if it was actually stringent criteria for entry and characters like Master Chief would be ineligible.

I don't really want to center my argument here around Cloud but yeah and no his minor appearances barely count. I used to bring up those very same minor appearances as evidence towards his possible conclusion back in the day only to have them dismissed outright. It'd be awfully convenient if those were good enough now.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I personally don't think the Nintendo consoles thing matters much. It certainly helps but I don't think it's a requirement. It would diminish the whole "celebration of video games" thing if it was actually stringent criteria for entry and characters like Master Chief would be ineligible.

I don't really want to center my argument here around Cloud but yeah and no his minor appearances barely count. I used to bring up those very same minor appearances as evidence towards his possible conclusion back in the day only to have them dismissed outright. It'd be awfully convenient if those were good enough now.
My personal preference is that lack of Nintendo history shouldn’t disqualify a character from consideration but I do think it should give characters with strong history a bit of a boost compared to those without. I still view Smash as primarily a Nintendo game so I’d like to see at least some consideration given to their history.

Just having a random appearance on a Nintendo console is basically the same to me as never having appeared on it at all, personally. At that point, it just becomes a technicality why they are now eligible and it had nothing to do with the memories of Nintendo fans playing their games on Nintendo consoles.

Again, I don’t think lack of history should prevent a character’s inclusion but I do feel like it should help characters with strong histories with the company.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
The way I prefer it is a character appearing on a Nintendo console from a game from their series, mainline or spin-off. That's the way it already is but I'd rather it stay like that. As Smash is still heavily Nintendo themed, it's more fitting to have all the characters have some kind of prior connection to Nintendo to better suit that theme rather than just throwing name after name. It just doesn't feel consistent.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The way I prefer it is a character appearing on a Nintendo console from a game from their series, mainline or spin-off. That's the way it already is but I'd rather it stay like that. As Smash is still heavily Nintendo themed, it's more fitting to have all the characters have some kind of prior connection to Nintendo to better suit that theme rather than just throwing name after name. It just doesn't feel consistent.
Yeah, I can totally understand that. The way I see things is that there are multiple parameters that need to be taken into consideration like Nintendo relevance, general popularity (hype level), and moveset potential that are all on a sliding scale. Then there are surprise “wtf” characters that can completely break that.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
The problem us that there are ninnies that belive that: "You hame a game in a nintendo console = more chances to be in Smash",
Like, South Park had a game on Nintendo 64 and i saw no one asking for Cartman in Smash.
For those people, make up your mind!!

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I remember Ahri was the popular choice here before Arcane. I’m only really familiar with Arcane and less so LoL as a whole so Jinx would resonate more with me, although I still like Ahri’s design as well. Does anyone think Arcane has given Vi a chance or is Jinx too popular within LoL overall? In Arcane, Vi was at least as big of a focus. I would imagine that Vi’s fighting style is probably a bit better suited for a game like Smash than Jinx but I’d be happy with either.
Here? No one really talks about LoL here save one person. If you wanted to make a poll and circulate it among the Smash community, I'd be interested to see who would chart highest. Because so far no LoL character has enough demand in the Smash fanbase to place notably on polls, from what I've seen.

Likeable? Jinx was plenty popular generally prior to Arcane. She may not have been the inarguable most recognizable, but she was already featured very heavily. But that's irrelevant now. Like I said, it's not 2013. It's not 2020. Currently, and in the foreseeable future, Jinx is the face.

And yes, Fortnite pulls in non-video game characters as well. The most popular ones and most recognizable from those series, generally. Or the ones being promoted. Same principle. Game-wise, they took Ryu and Chun Li first. They took Kratos and Chief first. They took Jill and Chris first. They took Ezio first. They took Jinx first. They take from the top, like Smash.

And frankly, in-game doesn't matter that much. The Pokemon we've received don't correspond to most used in-game. Certainly Pikachu isn't.

Look, you've dug in your feet when it comes to Ahri. That's pretty clear. It's also clear though that Jinx is obviously the most generally known and recognizable LoL champion that is now used as the face. That's what's going to matter.

He's not the anomaly, it's not always the "original". We got Joker, we got Ness, Hero didn't take from DQ1.

If we got a character from Tales, Nier, SMT, Elder Scrolls, Assassin's Creed, GTA, etc. there's a more than good chance it wouldn't be from the first game. It depends on the series. The original protagonist doesn't always stay the biggest.

Not that LoL really deals in "protagonists", which makes it even easier, frankly, because you're not putting another character in ahead of a protagonist. Though that has also happened.

They're almost certainly not going to add two unique LoL characters at the same time. So far we've only had that with FF, and it took two games and five years between additions. I think you're just hung up on Ahri. She's not the face anymore (as much as she ever actually was).

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Jinx!

I never played that game. But I jinx you all now for something.

I think smash can stay smash and still bring in characters that are less Nintendo Adjacent in terms of what it came to the world on... Like a Sid Meyer's Civilization rep or something along those lines.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The problem us that there are ninnies that belive that: "You hame a game in a nintendo console = more chances to be in Smash",
Like, South Park had a game on Nintendo 64 and i saw no one asking for Cartman in Smash.
For those people, make up your mind!!
What's with you doing nothing but push licensed game characters in your last several posts no matter what? You cone off as obsessed.

Top Bottom