• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
User warned
Getting real tired about the "Smash must run and dominated by popular third parties pick" which was one of the few reasons I wrote that rant on the previous Speculation Thread. There are still more first party pick and even franchises like Zelda, Splatoon and Kirby that can use to the extra support such as Magolor, Skull Kid, Tingle, Tarzana, Fawful, King Boo, Darkrai, E.M.M.I, Octolings both types, Squid Sisters etc. all would be great additions for the next game. Also still don't why people still say popular and relevancy are required despite being broken time and time again via Game and Watch, ROB, Dunk Hunt, Banjo, Terry, K.Rool. Sure, it helps but isn't a deciding factor like most like to claim. Also I agree with the development part expect the Online part. For Glory>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Quickplay. Would've been easier for Sakurai to implement Rollback if they kept to the 4's online model

Glad to see more people contend this, frankly silly, notion of Smash being the 'celebration of gaming'. Regardless of the poor effort to reach that goal with DLC with poor variety of gaming genres and designs being biased of one specific genres with similar design. That goal is just simply a losing battle that will cause more harm than good and makes Smash more of museum to gawk at staring a roster screen then a actual game worth playing and enjoying with favourite characters battling one and another. Everyone was here is already a strain and exhausting standard to make with licensing fees, negotiations, development etc stated by the Massive Hero himself. It's just not feasible to maintain overtime. Smash as a franchise would collapse and never be the same again with no real identity from other mishmash crossovers like MCU and Fortnite.
Oh, boy, let's talk about this ****! This is so gloriously dumb.

First off, of ALL the potential Metroid reps. .THE EMMI? SERIOUSLY? There are so, SO many better choices, but lemme get this straight. You think that trying to incorporate a horror movie monster character as playable would work? Instead of Sylux or Rundas? Also. .Squid Sisters are just not figher characters, I'm sorry. And Taranza? Seriously, if you want a modern kirby rep, Bandana Dee and Magolor are right there! TINGLE? These just. .mostly aren't very good fighters, especially since you overlook actually good ideas for characters in favor of this bull****. As well, how are you calling the MCU a "mishmash crossover" . . .when it's Marvel Comics properties? That's. .not even logical in anyways. And yet despite you insisting we have poor variety in DLC, we got a playable third party villain, tag-in fighting game representation, 3D fighting game representation, hack-and-slash representation . .How exactly is that poor variety? Oh, yeah, it isn't.

Shroob

Sup?
Speak for yourself. I actually listened to a certain quote involving recognizability not being everything from Terry's presentation. Which was forgotten when FP2 was finalized.
In terms of stardom? It 100% is stronger. I'm not talking about things like gameplay or how fun the characters are, but if you compare FP2 to FP1, FP2 blows it out of the park easily.
Also who was a supremacist?
Fellow from Brawl/Smash 4 times who took a very "3rd parties are RUINING the PURITY of Smash" stance for both games, most famous for creating the infamous "Shulk is a photoshopped Little Mac!" deal during the ESRB leak of Smash 4.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
And on top of that, from a gameplay perspective, FP2 blows FP1 out of the water. FP1 had .. two characters that were fun to play? FP2's got everyone except Pythra as characters I actually enjoy and think deserve a place in the game.
Also people can like posts about third parties being a good choice even if their most wanted is a first party, Nabbit. You say we're gatekeeping first parties when you're gatekeeping the idea of third party representation in the game because it has to be NINTENDO first and foremost when news flash, it hasn't been a Nintendo only game since Melee.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Them being obligatory doesn't change my point at all especially when they aren't only examples with Marth, Ice Climbers, Pit, Falcon etc
Captain Falcon was relevant when Smash 64 was being made, F-Zero X literally just came out in 1998, the series was still very much alive back then. Pit too was also a highly requested character in Sakurai's words.

Fire Emblem was also a popular, long running series in Japan so they were relevent in time for Melee as well. So that leaves Ice Climbers, which again, Sakurai put in for the specific purpose of having a long forgotten NES character on Melee's roster.

So once again, the only real acceptions to the "relevancy" thing are highly popular requests or Sakurai's usual retro/surprise characters every game.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I will say this;

Attempting to write off Waluigi, Isaac, and Bandana Waddle Dee as "not being hype" feels like genuine gatekeeping in the same vein of people claiming Ridley and K. Rool's support wasn't motivated by legitimate love for those characters.

Bandana Waddle Dee ranked 2nd behind Sora on Japanese polls and is one of the final major requests from the ballot era. The response to Isaac being an assist trophy was large enough that one Nintendo rep admitted they had no idea the character was that popular. Waluigi is so vocally requested that major, mainstream news sources like CNN have written pieces on it.

People genuinely love these characters, even if you don't.

Claims to the contrary, at best, feel like willful ignorance and, at worst, feel like borderline gaslighting in the interest of creating an environment where certain characters particular users are interested in seeing dominate the conversation and thusly appear more likely.

There's also something to be said for the fact that "hype" shouldn't be the sole criterion for a Smash character and that certain portions of the Smash fanbase ought to learn there's more to a character's inclusion than how many people will screech like a banshee at their hypothetical trailer, but that feels off-topic.

Shroob

Sup?
I will say this;

Attempting to write off Waluigi, Isaac, and Bandana Waddle Dee as "not being hype" feels like genuine gatekeeping in the same vein of people claiming Ridley and K. Rool's support wasn't motivated by legitimate love for those characters.

Bandana Waddle Dee ranked 2nd behind Sora on Japanese polls and is one of the final major requests from the ballot era. The response to Isaac being an assist trophy was large enough that one Nintendo rep admitted they had no idea the character was that popular. Waluigi is so vocally requested that major, mainstream news sources like CNN have written pieces on it.

Claims to the contrary, at best, feel like willful ignorance and, at worst, feel like borderline gaslighting in the interest of creating an environment where certain characters particular users are interested in seeing dominate the conversation and thusly appear more likely.

There's also something to be said for the fact that "hype" shouldn't be the sole criterion for a Smash character and that certain portions of the Smash fanbase ought to learn there's more to a character's inclusion than how many people will screech like a banshee at their hypothetical trailer, but that feels off-topic.
I mean

I like Dee too.

But considering Kirby's lack of any meaningful modern representation outside of some Final Smashes and Spirits? I don't hold my breath.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well now, aren't we projecting and mud slinging.
Well it's true. A lot of praise in regards to Ultimate is about anything but actually playing the game. The quantity of the roster, the fact that most of its DLC newcomers aren't owned by Nintendo, the amount of franchises that have some amount of representation in them. Anything but playing the game.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Fair, but the same should go for people saying no more third parties too, because that's basically doing the same thing towards people?

I honestly want Waluigi, Isaac, and Dee. I know other people too. But we shouldn't write off all third party characters just because we like first party offerings. That's just stupid and frankly gatekeeping people who want some of their favorites in Smash Bros just because we think it should be Nintendo only as opposed to what it is.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I just think a lot of people upset about third parties are probably the people who have been supporting the Nintendo characters who keep getting left out every game, like Isaac, Waluigi, Krystal, Bandana Dee, Dixie, etc and feel that all of these big name guest characters are taking their spots away or something like that.

Like I just said, I kinda don't think Guynamednelson in particular would be that upset about the third party extravaganza had Isaac already been on the roster, going by their post history.
You can blame the hype of third parties, or you can blame the real culprits which are the suits giving the orders for crazy small development times in comparison to other AAA titles and people in positions of power just not paying the **** attention.

Of course you aren't. Because that would actually require playing the game and not just jerking off to CP11 not being owned by Nintendo.
Damn, and here I was trying to fight for your position. Guess I'll just fight for mine instead.

Shroob

Sup?
Well it's true. A lot of praise in regards to Ultimate is about anything but actually playing the game. The quantity of the roster, the fact that most of its DLC newcomers aren't owned by Nintendo, the amount of franchises that have some amount of representation in them. Anything but playing the game.
I mean, what's left to be said that wasn't said 3 years ago?

It's good. Is it what the hyper competitive crowd wants? No. Is the online any good? No.

But otherwise? Yeah, it's fine.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Like, I get it.

There's still a handful of older 1st party characters people want.

But

View attachment 336850

At this point, unless they have an extreme amount of fan demand going forward(Waluigi, etc), I just don't see them as happening at this point.

Characters like Ridley and K.Rool had years of fan demand with Ridley being talked about since Melee/Brawl, and K.Rool gaining a huge amount of support during Smash 4. Other 1st party characters this time around though? Either were Echo fighters, characters who had hit it BIG during the time between Smash 4 and now, or characters who were from recent entries to act as pseudo promotion.

This isn't to say to just give up, but I feel like Nintendo is incredibly selective in their own character choices, and unless they have a specific series that they want to bring attention to, or the demand is just too large to ignore(Ridley, K.Rool), I'm just not expecting a lot of 'old' Nintendo characters going forward.

I could totally see characters like Waluigi, Octolings, Ring Fit Trainee in Smash 6. But Isaac? Krystal? Maybe even B.Dee? Ehhhhhh.
All the more reason to cut down on Third Parties to a minimum and give First Parties the treatment they deserve and Ironically put Sakurai back in charge for character choices and not have Nintendo's corporates get their grubby fingers on the choices.

. . . .and why is that a bad thing?

Like, I legitimately don't get why having more hype characters for the DLC is a bad thing, especially since most of the Fighter's Pass or even Smash 4's DLC characters were rather good - the only two I take issue with including are Corrin and Byleth, and Joker...well that's moreso because I hate how they handled him.

Legitimately, this. .isn't a strong argument, nelson. Though you don't have any, so I get it.
Maybe because rely solely on the Hype is a just short-term gratification that goes away and isn't actually fulfilling. Most of that hype expires at least 1-2 weeks after the character's release leaving behind a shallow feeling that this is it and nothing more. Also not mention the increased toxicity and death threats that come from it too. If you don't like the next big thing, you're considered a horrible person and loser who shouldn't get their characters who should be harassed and mocked until the end of time. This is a strong pattern for Ultimate DLC and don't want that nonsense to return for 6. Going a bit more niche like Melee and Brawl for a Nintendo All Stars could help mitigate said problems.

Of course you aren't. Because that would actually require playing the game and not just jerking off to CP11 not being owned by Nintendo.
Big agree there mate. Literally said a similar thing on the threads. Most people who championing Celebration of Gaming shtick don't actually care for the game itself being great (Base Ult was great game itself tho) and would rather boring museum of models to stare for a few mins and never touch it leaving dust behind. That would be a horrible direction for Smash franchise and all for more reason for a reboot.

That all what DLC was anyway

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Which fanbase gave Nintendo death threats?
Waluigi.

mic drop

Okay, but in all seriousness, there's more to these characters then just the hype - if that was it, then would people still be praising Sephiroth and his stage and music and his gameplay? Or hell, Kazuya? Most people don't know **** about Tekken, so it certainly wasn't hype for them. No, it's because they're, horror of horrors, well designed characters!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Pass 2 is better because of Sepiroth. I don’t really like how DLC has sought out IPs to include rather than characters. I don’t oppose the move from “celebration of Nintendo” to ”celebration of gaming”, but expansion of IPs included for the sake of it doesn‘t mesh well with the Nintendo side of things and feels cynical skimming of a Wikipedia table of highest-selling stuff. You also just miss out on a lot of what makes these games special. Sepiroth made FF7 special just as much as Cloud, we love AND hate Sonic for his cast of friends and we all loved the reunion of Cloud, Sora and Sepiroth. That sort of magic is there too so even in the third party realm I’d like a lot more double dipping and enrichment of series rather than strategically throw darts at as many IP mascots as possible. Variety is the spice of life, and so are villains, side kicks and love interests.

And on top of that, from a gameplay perspective, FP2 blows FP1 out of the water. FP1 had .. two characters that were fun to play? FP2's got everyone except Pythra as characters I actually enjoy and think deserve a place in the game.
FP2 I think had too many idiosyncratic movesets, as Sakurai called them in Sora’s presentation. I enjoy them on a moveset-theoretical standpoint and as an ode to their home games, but they’re not really good examples of intuitive Smash movesets. Again, Sepiroth, Pyra and Sora being the exception. That isn’t really a dig to third parties since Min Min is also guilty of this.

Shroob

Sup?
All the more reason to cut down on Third Parties to a minimum and give First Parties the treatment they deserve and Ironically put Sakurai back in charge for character choices and not have Nintendo's corporates get their grubby fingers on the choices.
No, nah, don't think so.

Maybe because rely solely on the Hype is a just short-term gratification that goes away and isn't actually fulfilling. Most of that hype expires at least 1-2 weeks after the character's release leaving behind a shallow feeling that this is it and nothing more. Also not mention the increased toxicity and death threats that come from it too. If you don't like the next big thing, you're considered a horrible person and loser who shouldn't get their characters who should be harassed and mocked until the end of time. This is a strong pattern for Ultimate DLC and don't want that nonsense to return for 6. Going a bit more niche like Melee and Brawl for a Nintendo All Stars could help mitigate said problems.
And you don't think that this'll just shift gears if the game goes to Nintendo-focused?

All those toxic people won't go away, instead it'll just shift from Master Chief/Crash to Pokemon/other series. Nintendo fans aren't some angels.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Eh, I enjoyed Kazuya and Steve quite a bit to be honest - if anything FP1's movesets felt a lot worse to me, ESPECIALLY Joker and Byleth, who felt like poor representations of their games who didn't have any idea or focus on what they wanted to be. Hero's gimmick also just. .kinda sucked.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think Bandana Dee may of honestly gotten the worst treatment of any "never ever" in Smash

You look at the other popular rejects and they all at least got something notable for their troubles: Krystal, Isaac, Shovel Knight, Waluigi, etc all have assist trophies, Geno and Shantae have Mii outfits and spirit battles in WOL, even Dixie Kong got a Mii hat.

But Dee literally doesn't get anything outside of just a mere upgrade to the regular Waddle Dee spirit. Dude doesn't even have his own dedicated spirit battle! And it's worth noting that he was a total no-show in Smash 4, despite that game using Return to Dreamland assets. This means that his one and only role in the entire Smash franchise thus far has just been an enhanceable spirit upgrade.

So yeah, doesn't paint a pretty picture for him I think.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And you don't think that this'll just shift gears if the game goes to Nintendo-focused?

All those toxic people won't go away, instead it'll just shift from Master Chief/Crash to Pokemon/other series. Nintendo fans aren't some angels.
Smaller fanbases are usually less toxic in general. There'll still be trolls and all that, but there'll be less of them.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In terms of stardom? It 100% is stronger. I'm not talking about things like gameplay or how fun the characters are, but if you compare FP2 to FP1, FP2 blows it out of the park easily.

Fellow from Brawl/Smash 4 times who took a very "3rd parties are RUINING the PURITY of Smash" stance for both games, most famous for creating the infamous "Shulk is a photoshopped Little Mac!" deal during the ESRB leak of Smash 4.
Re: second paragraph - the irony was that dude led the friggin Shulk thread back in 4 🤨

And re: “You know if they (being more recent first parties) get in that doesn’t bode well for Elma either right” - well, by your logic, it ALSO wouldn’t bode well for Isaac. Unless I’m mistaken?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I mean

I like Dee too.

But considering Kirby's lack of any meaningful modern representation outside of some Final Smashes and Spirits? I don't hold my breath.
I don't really see why that's relevant to the point I made though.

People genuinely thought Banjo and Kazooie and Sora were impossible (to the extent that the team responsible for negotiations actually agreed with the latter point until late 2019), but that didn't stop people from continuing to vocalize their support and love for the characters.

We may genuinely never see Bandana Waddle Dee in a Sakurai-made Smash game, but I don't see why that means people can't support him anyways and hope for the best. If Ridley could still be a valid request after Sakurai explicitly said "he's never getting in, he's too big", why can't BWD still be a valid request because some in the fanbase have implicitly read him as being a never-ever?

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Smaller fanbases are usually less toxic in general. There'll still be trolls and all that, but there'll be less of them.
. . .yeah no that's just not true. Trust me - small fanbases can and will absolutely be as toxic as big fanbases.
Need an example? Fine, then. This fangame of Danganronpa I'm into - Danganronpa Another - has quite possibly one of the most toxic fanbases I've ever been in, despite being a tiny Danganronpa fangame that doesn't even have an official translation for god's sake.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I was already in a bad mood, but then I had to see a post like this that I had to rip apart to shreds.
Getting real tired about the "Smash must run and dominated by popular third parties pick" which was one of the few reasons I wrote that rant on the previous Speculation Thread. There are still more first party pick and even franchises like Zelda, Splatoon and Kirby that can use to the extra support such as Magolor, Skull Kid, Tingle, Tarzana, Fawful, King Boo, Darkrai, E.M.M.I, Octolings both types, Squid Sisters etc. all would be great additions for the next game. Also still don't why people still say popular and relevancy are required despite being broken time and time again via Game and Watch, ROB, Dunk Hunt, Banjo, Terry, K.Rool. Sure, it helps but isn't a deciding factor like most like to claim.
For starters, I hate this mentality that the first party supremacists that third party characters "steal" spaces away from "deserving" first parties. Smash has trended towards adding third parties for a variety of reasons that I could go into, but the part that really angered me was this belief that these first party picks "deserve" support just by birthright. That sort of view is flat out dumb. People have the freedom to want and discuss whatever they want. You do not get to shut down people's desires just because you want Nabbit or Tarenza. People have shown there is a clear desire for third parties, even here where first party support is notably stronger than elsewhere online. Among the masses, very few first parties reach that Little Mac, Palu, Shulk, K Rool, or Ridley tier of discussion. If I wanted to be generous, I could name four. The fact is, while there are hundreds of Nintendo characters that you could choose from, not many of them are popular right now.

I also love how you try to outright explain away relevancy, when outside of the token retro and wtf picks relevancy has been king. In Smsah 4, literally the only newcomers we got that did not benefit from relevancy from the Wii/3DS/DS era outside of the retro and WTF picks were the third parties. In Ultimate, the first party picks we got, outside of our wtf character in plant, were either super popular or super relevant.

Speaking of popularity, lets go there next. Popularity matters in Smash. Tons of ultimates design decisions (Everyone is here, K Rool, Ridley, Banjo, Sora, Chom and Dark Samus, Belmonts, and Sora) got in smash due to their fan demand. You want to know why I know fan demand matters? Because Sakurai said it himself in his famitsu columns and interviews multiple times. For someone who likes to make matter of fact statements, you really do love to ignore the word of the ****ing creator of the game. The vast majority of character picks are determined by either what was relevant during the recent past and present for that smash game, and what would be popular. Notice how for our third party picks, we got the biggest JRPG release in the past 10 years, one of the cornerstones of the JRPG genre, the first and second biggest requests according to Sakurai himself, arguably the biggest villain in all of gaming not in smash, the biggest 3d fighting game series of all time, and outright the biggest video game of all time in Minecraft?

Also Smash 4's lobby system sucked so good luck trying to play with your actual friends.

Glad to see more people contend this, frankly silly, notion of Smash being the 'celebration of gaming'. Regardless of the poor effort to reach that goal with DLC with poor variety of gaming genres and designs being biased of one specific genres with similar design. That goal is just simply a losing battle that will cause more harm than good and makes Smash more of museum to gawk at staring a roster screen then a actual game worth playing and enjoying with favourite characters battling one and another. Everyone was here is already a strain and exhausting standard to make with licensing fees, negotiations, development etc stated by the Massive Hero himself. It's just not feasible to maintain overtime. Smash as a franchise would collapse and never be the same again with no real identity from other mishmash crossovers like MCU and Fortnite.

The more preferable route for Smash 6 is a return to form like the Melee/Brawl days with a Nintendo All Stars roster, few 5-6 third party, modes like Online Smash Run, WoL 2, Boss Rush etc with new bosses and old, Rollback with For Glory and you still have a great game that will still sell big.
First off, lets see where people got that celebration of gaming from.
celebration.png

Not only did Sakurai outright say it to all of us, but he has written it multiple times in his columns. If you want any more proof he thinks of it like this, look at the third party picks. Tons of the picks like Snake, Cloud, Sephiroth, Sora, Richter, Kazuya, Joker, and to a lesser extent Mega Man and Ryu, all were massive successes on the PS1 and beyond. Minecraft is the biggest video game of all time and it grew its roots on PC. Sonic was the mascot of Sega, who for a long time was a rival company. Pac Man, Ryu, Ken, and Terry are moreso known for their arcade appearances. Out of the third parties in Smash, the vast majority of them are more relevant to gaming as a whole than just Nintendo. Given the role that Sakurai plays in making the game and the fact he said it is a celebration of gaming, I think its clear why he picked those characters in the first place. Sakurai had full veto rights on whatever characters got in as DLC, so you can't just say that Sakurai had his hands tied, especially with how much love he put into all of the third party DLC characters.

Furthermore, this might be a bitter truth to accept, but there really are not many "Nintendo All Stars" left. If you go by fan demand, maybe you can say that four first parties are truly popular right now. But lets put Waluigi, Isaac, Bandana Dee, and maybe Dixie away for a second. Most of the first parties you yourself brought up are at best tertiary characters. You can have a strong Zelda roster without Tingle or Skull Kid. You can have a strong Metroid roster without EMMI. Really, the only remotely big first party requests that are not just outright tertiary characters, outside the few I already mentioned, are characters like the Octolings and Tom Nook. Part of the reason Pokemon and Fire Emblem get new reps is at least party because due to how those franchises work, there will always be new major picks to look at. Now, there are a few new franchises you can push in Smash, such as Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, Astral Chain, or Ring Fit, but even then you have slim pickings because RH is dormant right now and Golden Sun has not gotten a game in over a decade. Now, compare that admittedly shallow pool to the vast pool of third parties now that the doors have been flung open. Its a no brainer why the masses have flocked to picks like Dante or Crash instead of King Boo or Magalor.

That's what happens when people follow the "Celebration of Gaming mantra" blindly forgetting the true roots of Smash Bros.
You do realize that even as early as the Smash 2 poll before Melee's development, Smash was eyeing third parties right. Even as early as Melee there were some effort in putting Sonic or Snake in the game.

But even then, if you want to use the "smash roots" argument, thing of how insane Smash Bros as a crossover was even back in the late 90s. You could have Mario fight Pikachu and the guy from Zelda? Wow, its like its a crossover game of cool characters fighting. Outside of there not being any third parties, what has changed? Not much. Smash still is about having cool video game characters fight. The only difference now is that more dream matchups can be show off

Nintendo history eh? Tell me what Nintendo system did FF7 and KH1 first appeared originally?
Oh I am so sorry, I did not know that the most legendary JRPG of the era, arguably of all time, that was one of the reasons the PS1 dominated over the N64 and the biggest Smash request according to the creator were too impure for you.

Isn't it obvious? If you love to use "DLC can only be third-parties and new first-parties" as a means of gatekeeping first parties, pay attention to the "DLC" part. They take advantage of third-party hype specifically in the DLC phase of development because the third-parties involved get more money back.
Show me the super popular first party pick that made it in as Smash DLC. At best you have XC2 content and Byleth being popular in Japan. Could a first party pick like Waluigi get in as DLC someday? Maybe. But you can't throw a tantrum if people speculate given what we have seen for three whole DLC cycles with FP1, FP2, and Smash 4.
Right, because this is a good look for you. Complaining about people liking posts against your argument and making obscene comments like that is how you are going to get people on your side.

I will say this;

No one is saying that you can't talk about Dee or Isaac or Waluigi because they are not hype. If anything, people concede they are some of the few first parties that have that big hype factor behind them left. Compare that to the venom that some of the first party supremacists threw around during Smash 4 and early ultimate, and going to be honest even now, and its clear which one is gatekeeping.

Ill be honest, the only first party character out of those three I care about is Isaac. I don't care for either of the other two, but if you would look at any of my posts talking about this, I mention how they are some of the last big first party requests left. Is it my fault fan polls and threads here present more evidence that at best, we have like what, maybe four big fan requests left that are first party?

I think this characterization of wanting characters only for "muh hype" is also just flat out dumb for both first party and third party picks. Think of how Terry, a character that had very minimal hype for him, or Kazuya, who similarly had little hype, have been so well received.

Finally, I want to reiterate that it is a bit messed up that you are acting like noticing a shift towards third parties is gatekeeping or even gaslighting. After Ultimate, it is clear that based on Sakurai's own comments and the picks chosen that the gates are far more open. People have freedom to talk about how they think it would be cool to see Doomguy or Dante fight Mario and Kirby. They have freedom to talk about whatever characters they want. We are in an environment where the Master Chief thread is a bastion of hope instead of getting locked for "trolling" by the mere crime of existing. I was there for Smash 4, and I can tell you that it is not gaslighting to say that an environment where you can suggest any character and see them blossom is better than one where your character might face a purity test of whether they are "Nintendo" enough. So many smaller fanbases grew in Ultimate, such as Reimu, Arle, Adol, Sakura, or KOS MOS just by that glimmer of hope after the door was opened. I think its honestly kind of gross to suggest that resistance to people wishing to bring us back to that dark place is gaslighting or gatekeeping.

No one is out here saying that you can't talk about Bandana Dee, Waluigi, or any first party. You have freedom to talk about whatever you want. You don't have white supremacists writing op eds about how your dream character would be sinful in smash. You can't compare people talking about third parties to a culture dominated by things like that.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Also why is it toxic to talk about third parties but it isn't toxic to bash on people for daring to want a third party in the game instead of a Nintendo character, this feels like double standards/hypocrisy imo.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I was already in a bad mood, but then I had to see a post like this that I had to rip apart to shreds.

For starters, I hate this mentality that the first party supremacists that third party characters "steal" spaces away from "deserving" first parties. Smash has trended towards adding third parties for a variety of reasons that I could go into, but the part that really angered me was this belief that these first party picks "deserve" support just by birthright. That sort of view is flat out dumb. People have the freedom to want and discuss whatever they want. You do not get to shut down people's desires just because you want Nabbit or Tarenza. People have shown there is a clear desire for third parties, even here where first party support is notably stronger than elsewhere online. Among the masses, very few first parties reach that Little Mac, Palu, Shulk, K Rool, or Ridley tier of discussion. If I wanted to be generous, I could name four. The fact is, while there are hundreds of Nintendo characters that you could choose from, not many of them are popular right now.

I also love how you try to outright explain away relevancy, when outside of the token retro and wtf picks relevancy has been king. In Smsah 4, literally the only newcomers we got that did not benefit from relevancy from the Wii/3DS/DS era outside of the retro and WTF picks were the third parties. In Ultimate, the first party picks we got, outside of our wtf character in plant, were either super popular or super relevant.

Speaking of popularity, lets go there next. Popularity matters in Smash. Tons of ultimates design decisions (Everyone is here, K Rool, Ridley, Banjo, Sora, Chom and Dark Samus, Belmonts, and Sora) got in smash due to their fan demand. You want to know why I know fan demand matters? Because Sakurai said it himself in his famitsu columns and interviews multiple times. For someone who likes to make matter of fact statements, you really do love to ignore the word of the ****ing creator of the game. The vast majority of character picks are determined by either what was relevant during the recent past and present for that smash game, and what would be popular. Notice how for our third party picks, we got the biggest JRPG release in the past 10 years, one of the cornerstones of the JRPG genre, the first and second biggest requests according to Sakurai himself, arguably the biggest villain in all of gaming not in smash, the biggest 3d fighting game series of all time, and outright the biggest video game of all time in Minecraft?

Also Smash 4's lobby system sucked so good luck trying to play with your actual friends.

First off, lets see where people got that celebration of gaming from.View attachment 336852

Not only did Sakurai outright say it to all of us, but he has written it multiple times in his columns. If you want any more proof he thinks of it like this, look at the third party picks. Tons of the picks like Snake, Cloud, Sephiroth, Sora, Richter, Kazuya, Joker, and to a lesser extent Mega Man and Ryu, all were massive successes on the PS1 and beyond. Minecraft is the biggest video game of all time and it grew its roots on PC. Sonic was the mascot of Sega, who for a long time was a rival company. Pac Man, Ryu, Ken, and Terry are moreso known for their arcade appearances. Out of the third parties in Smash, the vast majority of them are more relevant to gaming as a whole than just Nintendo. Given the role that Sakurai plays in making the game and the fact he said it is a celebration of gaming, I think its clear why he picked those characters in the first place. Sakurai had full veto rights on whatever characters got in as DLC, so you can't just say that Sakurai had his hands tied, especially with how much love he put into all of the third party DLC characters.

Furthermore, this might be a bitter truth to accept, but there really are not many "Nintendo All Stars" left. If you go by fan demand, maybe you can say that four first parties are truly popular right now. But lets put Waluigi, Isaac, Bandana Dee, and maybe Dixie away for a second. Most of the first parties you yourself brought up are at best tertiary characters. You can have a strong Zelda roster without Tingle or Skull Kid. You can have a strong Metroid roster without EMMI. Really, the only remotely big first party requests that are not just outright tertiary characters, outside the few I already mentioned, are characters like the Octolings and Tom Nook. Part of the reason Pokemon and Fire Emblem get new reps is at least party because due to how those franchises work, there will always be new major picks to look at. Now, there are a few new franchises you can push in Smash, such as Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, Astral Chain, or Ring Fit, but even then you have slim pickings because RH is dormant right now and Golden Sun has not gotten a game in over a decade. Now, compare that admittedly shallow pool to the vast pool of third parties now that the doors have been flung open. Its a no brainer why the masses have flocked to picks like Dante or Crash instead of King Boo or Magalor.

You do realize that even as early as the Smash 2 poll before Melee's development, Smash was eyeing third parties right. Even as early as Melee there were some effort in putting Sonic or Snake in the game.

But even then, if you want to use the "smash roots" argument, thing of how insane Smash Bros as a crossover was even back in the late 90s. You could have Mario fight Pikachu and the guy from Zelda? Wow, its like its a crossover game of cool characters fighting. Outside of there not being any third parties, what has changed? Not much. Smash still is about having cool video game characters fight. The only difference now is that more dream matchups can be show off

Oh I am so sorry, I did not know that the most legendary JRPG of the era, arguably of all time, that was one of the reasons the PS1 dominated over the N64 and the biggest Smash request according to the creator were too impure for you.

Show me the super popular first party pick that made it in as Smash DLC. At best you have XC2 content and Byleth being popular in Japan. Could a first party pick like Waluigi get in as DLC someday? Maybe. But you can't throw a tantrum if people speculate given what we have seen for three whole DLC cycles with FP1, FP2, and Smash 4.

Right, because this is a good look for you. Complaining about people liking posts against your argument and making obscene comments like that is how you are going to get people on your side.

No one is saying that you can't talk about Dee or Isaac or Waluigi because they are not hype. If anything, people concede they are some of the few first parties that have that big hype factor behind them left. Compare that to the venom that some of the first party supremacists threw around during Smash 4 and early ultimate, and going to be honest even now, and its clear which one is gatekeeping.

Ill be honest, the only first party character out of those three I care about is Isaac. I don't care for either of the other two, but if you would look at any of my posts talking about this, I mention how they are some of the last big first party requests left. Is it my fault fan polls and threads here present more evidence that at best, we have like what, maybe four big fan requests left that are first party?

I think this characterization of wanting characters only for "muh hype" is also just flat out dumb for both first party and third party picks. Think of how Terry, a character that had very minimal hype for him, or Kazuya, who similarly had little hype, have been so well received.

Finally, I want to reiterate that it is a bit messed up that you are acting like noticing a shift towards third parties is gatekeeping or even gaslighting. After Ultimate, it is clear that based on Sakurai's own comments and the picks chosen that the gates are far more open. People have freedom to talk about how they think it would be cool to see Doomguy or Dante fight Mario and Kirby. They have freedom to talk about whatever characters they want. We are in an environment where the Master Chief thread is a bastion of hope instead of getting locked for "trolling" by the mere crime of existing. I was there for Smash 4, and I can tell you that it is not gaslighting to say that an environment where you can suggest any character and see them blossom is better than one where your character might face a purity test of whether they are "Nintendo" enough. So many smaller fanbases grew in Ultimate, such as Reimu, Arle, Adol, Sakura, or KOS MOS just by that glimmer of hope after the door was opened. I think its honestly kind of gross to suggest that resistance to people wishing to bring us back to that dark place is gaslighting or gatekeeping.

No one is out here saying that you can't talk about Bandana Dee, Waluigi, or any first party. You have freedom to talk about whatever you want. You don't have white supremacists writing op eds about how your dream character would be sinful in smash. You can't compare people talking about third parties to a culture dominated by things like that.
I skimmed this but I'm pretty sure I agree with most of it and you tore into Nabbitfan, so it gets a like from me. No offense to Nabbitfan, but I know the kind of posts he makes.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
. . .yeah no that's just not true. Trust me - small fanbases can and will absolutely be as toxic as big fanbases.
Need an example? Fine, then. This fangame of Danganronpa I'm into - Danganronpa Another - has quite possibly one of the most toxic fanbases I've ever been in, despite being a tiny Danganronpa fangame that doesn't even have an official translation for god's sake.
There are exceptions, but it's generally true that less fans means less undesirable fans.
isn't toxic to bash on people for daring to want a third party in the game instead of a Nintendo character
It's not toxic to want third parties. It's toxic to think wanting any more Nintendo characters should be shunned.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
There are exceptions, but it's generally true that less fans means less undesirable fans.

It's not toxic to want third parties. It's toxic to think wanting any more Nintendo characters should be shunned.
And it's toxic to think the same of third parties, and yet you've been doing that this entire thread and it's non-toxic apparently.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And it's toxic to think the same of third parties, and yet you've been doing that this entire thread and it's non-toxic apparently.
I'm not saying "No more third parties", people just can't comprehend any opinion on Sora that isn't ZOMG BEST CHARACTER EVAR!!!!

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Well maybe if that's your take you shouldn't say that we're jerking off just because it's a non-Nintendo character.

Maybe we like Sora because, news flash, we like the character for the character itself, not who owns the character.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I'm not saying "No more third parties", people just can't comprehend any opinion on Sora that isn't ZOMG BEST CHARACTER EVAR!!!!
You really have strawmanned everyone who does not agree with you, insulted everyone who does not agree with you, and made obscene comments to people who dont agree with you. This is not how you get people on your side chief.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Despite third parties being the big sellers, I do think with Sora, we've hit the end in terms of "impossible" characters. Even someone who would have been thought impossible 5 years ago, Master Chief, is not only possible, but really the only thing preventing him from coming in is if Nintendo doesn't think he would be a good fit for Japan audiences (and with B&K and Steve in, not as much of a splash as it would have been, but would still would reverberate beyond the Nintendo bubble). Really, I think the only impossible characters would be Sony first party characters, and while I still think that's a bridge too far, I'm not as confident in that as I would have been before Sora was announced.

So, while third parties will still be big, I don't think they'll be as big of news as Banjo & Kazooie and Sora were. More like Sephiroth and Kazuya were, in that they weren't "impossible", but people didn't think they had a chance given what Sakurai said in the past, or the views of particular companies like Square Enix. Which means Sakurai must make some new rules for us, because he's broken nearly every one of them.

And I do think for Ultimate, third parties were focused on over first party in DLC for multiple reasons. Profitability is one, certainly. But we can also look at how the base game focused on first parties and DLC focused on third parties, and probably did so because of legal reasons. We already know how hard it was to get Cloud for Ultimate's base game, and Square probably wanted Cloud as DLC because that's how they make the most money. And that's probably going to remain true going forward, which is why an Ultimate DX is still a tough hill to climb. So, while I can understand the frustrations--I would have loved an echoes DLC pack, or first party characters like Dixie to be sold alongside the Fighter's Pass, and I was really bummed on the Fighter's Pass only having one platforming character--it's not a problem of Smash having third parties to begin with, but Nintendo's way of managing how characters get in with how many characters are requested. I'm sure if Sakurai picked the characters instead of Nintendo, we may have seen more variety. But at the same time, I am surprised at the choices Nintendo made for DLC, and while I only liked a few, I understood the reasoning for most. And even characters that were poorly handled, like Byleth, were more a marketing mistake than it was a character choice.

Where did I say I hate third parties? Smash can still profitable without that standard and Sakurai also said this process can't happen again. Going back to a Nintendo All Stars can still make bank. Nintendo owns 1st and 5th biggest Media franchise of all time so that's still possible.

If they were so important as you claim then where are all their franchises representation in Smash, especially the titles that debut on Nintendo Consoles, I singled out those 2 because that's the content Ultimate took from.
I said if you hated third parties, there are alternatives, but third parties are here to stay in Smash--I can't tell from the rhetoric who hates third parties or not, but there's a lot of weird rhetoric in that vein. They are the biggest sellers, as we saw with Nintendo's DLC choices. I'm sure if Nintendo thought they could sell enough using their B-list or C-list characters, they would have sufficed and would have been easier for them than all the third party licensing. And Sakurai sees Smash as a celebration of gaming, a point not countered.

Would a Nintendo All Stars make bank? Probably, but there'd be zero surprise factor that Pikachu could fight Dixie Kong (even though I want her in Smash). The surprise factor of characters from drastically different game worlds is what has been the appeal of Smash from the start, and third parties opened that world even more since Brawl. Going back to Nintendo All-Stars would be intentionally closing that world, and dissatisfying those outside of the Nintendo bubble. It's a case of going backwards, rather than forwards. And as Sakurai said, he wants to avoid making a Smash game that dissatisfies fans.

There were discussions of using other characters instead of Cloud, but chose Cloud because he was the most popular character. What's hard to understand about differentiating between why they chose Final Fantasy as a series (because of it's history with Nintendo and SE ties) and why they picked Cloud to be that representative (because of popularity)? It's pedantic. Nintendo could expand to even series that haven't been on Nintendo at all, like Halo, if they wanted to. But every third party character currently in Smash has been a part of a SERIES that has been on Nintendo and those SERIES are a part of Nintendo history, regardless of who legally owns them. That's just a fact.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You really have strawmanned everyone who does not agree with you, insulted everyone who does not agree with you, and made obscene comments to people who dont agree with you. This is not how you get people on your side chief.
It'd be impossible to get people on my side even if I was nicer, so why bother?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It'd be impossible to get people on my side even if I was nicer, so why bother?
I also want a lot of first parties and think that people should be more excited for them.

But I've kept my mouth shut here because of the way the point has been argued.

You are pushing people away that could easily be on your side.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You are pushing people away that could easily be on your side.
I doubt that. They've been spoiled by the 3rd party:1st party ratio in both FPs enough that I'm afraid Smash 6's base game newcomers are going to make "wtf no mewtwo?" look like "no mewtwo, oh well, at least there's charizard"

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I doubt that. They've been spoiled by the 3rd party:1st party ratio in both FPs enough that I'm afraid Smash 6's base game newcomers are going to make "wtf no mewtwo?" look like "no mewtwo, oh well, at least there's charizard"
As someone who's very invested in Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer and Charizard, I am confused as to what this is supposed to mean.

Top Bottom