• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Huh, never thought I'd see someone come up with an idea to not only KEEP the Koopalings in Smash, but also come up with ways to make them semi-clones of Bowser Jr..

As for the 8th slot? I won't lie, I've always defaulted to Boom-Boom myself, but thinking about it now? Yeah, maybe Nabbit wouldn't be such a weird choice. Heck, in an ironic sense? It's a bit tricky for me to describe, but the very thought of Nabbit being a sort of "surprise character" in this sense of HIM suddenly driving a Clown Car AND the fact that HE'S the 8th alt. skin slot for this character.
I like Boom-Boom but if we got him, I'd want Pom-Pom to be included too. They're a package deal to me at this point.

And more importantly, you'd have to fudge their proportions a lot more than what they did for the Koopalings. Boom's huge arms are a defining feature, just imagining him with small hands feels weird imo.

As for Nabbit, I chose him based on the fact that he's among the more prominent secondary/mook characters. His major appearances are in the 2D Mario games, same as the Koopalings, so there's some association there already. Doesn't hurt that he's actually playable in some games so people will be familiar with him in that way too.

Plus, the idea of Nabbit nabbing a clown car to participate in Smash feels kind of in character in a way? Either that or he's our Bowser Jr. stand in since he's already got the mask/bandana.

When this Pokemon 'gigaleak' happened, seeing the concept art for Gen. IV (among other generations) reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask all of you. What would you all think about the idea of Garchomp joining Smash Bros., BUT it (or I guess, SHE, in this case) was accompanied by Cynthia?

Like, Garchomp wouldn't share a slot with any of Cynthia's other Pokémon (like Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard), it'd just be Garchomp and Garchomp alone, with Cynthia mostly there for aesthetic purposes. That is to say, Cynthia would still "command" Garchomp like Red and Leaf do with THEIR Pokémon.

In addition, the character would be referred to as 'Cynthia and Garchomp'.
This is actually something I've wanted for a long while, though not quite exactly in the same way. Copy/pasting from my costume thread:

So, I've been thinking about what kind of costumes to give for Pokémon since they generally don't wear clothes. Actual costumes do exist already, with even Smash doing this through hats and accessories for Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Pichu. Full on alternate costumes though remain a bit more limited.

An idea I've been thinking about is adding trainers to the solo Pokémon as their "costume." The Pokémon themselves still need something else on their bodies to differentiate them from each other, but I think it'd be a neat way to rep more of the human characters by adding them as background trainers for certain Pokémon.

So as an example:

Solo being the default option, where there's no bg trainer like normal, and the trainers chosen being associated with the Pokémon in some way.

:ultpikachu:SoloChaseElainePoké KidRed

:ultlucario:SoloMayleneRileyKorrinaCynthia

:ultincineroar:SoloElioSeleneMasked RoyalProf. Kukui

Then the trainers themselves could also have palette swaps to match the Pokémon or even different outfits themselves in certain cases, like using some of what was introduced in Masters EX, etc.
I really need to rewatch some gameplay of Gyromite again to confirm this, but I'm pretty sure that part of how I've advocated for R.O.B. getting his own stage was via 75m getting reskinned, as I THINK Gyromite contained a level that looked similar to 75m, but with different colored girders and what not.

Again, need to rewatch gameplay of Gyromite to be sure.
I have to echo ScrubReborn here. If :ultrob: went this long without a stage, just to be hit with a reskin of 75m, I'd rather not get a stage at all.

I'd be totally down for retaining the retro aesthetic like 75m and Mario Bros., but if they're going to give us a Gyromite stage I want the aesthetic and unique stage gimmicks on an actually functional layout. A Smash original layout that incorporates all the necessary elements would be much more preferable than a literal copy of an in-game level (though I'm sure there are viable choices there as with DK, they seriously could have picked any other stage.).

Really hope I'm not coming off as pedantic for saying this, but Metal Combat is the sequel to Battle Clash, isn't it? All the same though, I wouldn't mind Michael Anderson (the main protagonist of BOTH games) join Smash as a playable character.

Frankly, I've been quite intrigued over how Smash would tackle him as a playable character. Would Smash Bros. pull a 'Marvel vs. Capcom' and have him be Smash's equivalent to Cyberbots's Jin Saotome, having him fight on foot? Or would his mech, the S.T. Falcon be playable instead (with him controlling it from the inside)?
I know pretty much nothing about these game's but if you're telling we can get a Smash version of Blodia, I'm sold.

EDIT: After looking up a longplay at 2x speed, I desperately need a Battle Clash/Metal Combat stage.

This would most definitely be a Jin situation though, given that these are giant mechs. You can't really shrink one down and still have Michael piloting it. I'm all in favor though, the games look really cool and it's not like they can't cook up another (partial) Smash original moveset to make it work. Either that or they shrink the mech down into a suit to make a much bulkier/tanky Samus style character.

Either way, the one thing I would want is an updated design for Mike. The style was common for character design back then, but I can already see/hear the "Terry with a haircut" comments. I do like classic the look and would still want it in game as an alt, but I'd also like some older characters get the Brawl Pit treatment.

I mentioned this a while back, but I'd actually like to see Urban Champion as a cross-series clone of Little Mac.
View attachment 395271View attachment 395270
Have to disagree on this one. UC is a guy that punches, and the game was inspired by the G&W version of PO but I feel like that's pretty forced.

Mac is a professional boxer, the UC is a guy getting into street fights. I wouldn't expect UC to have the same fighting style as a pro boxer nor do I think that Mac's specials are good fits.

If they did UC, you'd pretty much have to give him a completely original moveset. How you go about that, I'm unsure of. It's not really a character I ever took into consideration, but if it's a wholly original moveset (except for maybe jab, but that's not much of a difference,) then I think there's plenty you could do, especially if you stretch the limits on creative liberty.

If not a character though, I think he'd make for a good :ultbrawler: costume. I definitely do want an Urban Champion stage though.

Finally, there's something I'd like to ask to... well, anyone who'd care to give me a response on this. A couple of years ago, I actually came up with a moveset for Lark from Pilotwings and it was posted on SourceGaming (I'm pretty sure I was even the FIRST guest article for their Dream Smashers articles, so that was pretty neat).

I'll be the first to admit, I DID have to do a pretty good deal of reaching to give Lark a (fairly) functional moveset and looking at it now? I'd probably change some stuff now (such as what costumes Lark would utilize, removing fellow pilot-in-training Kiwi from the equation entirely), but THAT'S what I'm wanting to ask here.

I recently played as Jill Valentine in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 via the MvC Fighting Collection, and her moveset made me wonder... would it hurt to give Lark some of her attacks (such as Close Fighting, which is basically a tackle attack) and her Super Attacks (Close Fighting +, CODE: T-002 [primarily the portion where she sets off an explosive mine], and Rocket Launcher)?

For the record, Lark hasn't been depicted doing something so 'physical' before (nor have any of the other characters in the Pilotwings series, for that matter), thus putting him in a similar boat to Fox and Captain Falcon, pre-Smash 64.

BUT given how Smash at one point in time would be willing to create movesets for characters that had SOME basis in their home series, do you all think if Lark were to somehow join Smash, using such moves wouldn't be TOO out-of-place for him (or any other Pilotwings character)?
I actually quite like the moveset you made for him. There are some things I'd do differently (but that's a given, everyone has different ideas for x or y thing.) overall though, I'd say it's solid.

As for Jill, that honestly feels like a completely out of left field sort of thing. I'd personally say no to Lark suddenly pulling out a rocket launcher, though I do have ask if those are even in PilotWings? Never played the series, only seen snippets of gameplay.

As for getting "physical" with their moves, it's kind of a necessity. If you're dropping a character into a fighting game, they've got to have attacks of some kind. Especially when it comes to characters with source material that doesn't give them as much to pull from, I really don't see any issue with giving some punches/kicks to characters like Lark or whoever.

A little cartoon guy throwing some punches like Mario doesn't seem out of place or out of character when the setting is Smash. It's about incorporating them when/as needed. After all, he'd still have all the other actual PilotWings related stuff to fully flesh out his kit right?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
What if you really wanted each individual character in a transformation but realize the transformation is the only way to get all of them? Like people who are really big fans of Squirtle or Ivysaur.
Why would that ever be "the only way"? There's no reason Squirtle or Ivysaur couldn't be solo characters. Unlikely? Sure. Undoable? No. If they can do it for Charizard, they can do it with any of them.

Not to mention, nobody was asking for Squirtle or Ivysaur in the first place. In fact, getting them as part of PT, has basically removed any chance of getting the far more popular Blastoise and Venusaur.

EDIT: Honestly, I wouldn't mind the option for at least Charizard since he's been both separate and together before, and it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to implement.
At the very least, solo'zard should be PT's Echo.

Last edited:

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I wouldn't mind the option for at least Charizard since he's been both separate and together before, and it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to implement.
If it was up to me, all transform characters (so really just Trainer and Aegis) would have selectable alt counterparts that just let you play whichever part of the team solo, with a new down special/final smash for the character too. Prolly would do it via a pop-up button on the CSS like Crusade does.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Not to mention, nobody was asking for Squirtle or Ivysaur in the first place. In fact, getting them as part of PT, has basically removed any chance of getting the far more popular Blastoise and Venusaur.
Bulbasaur is actually greatly more popular than Venusaur. Bulbasaur is almost always in the Top 10 while Venusaur is often much lower compared to Charizard and Blastoise. Meanwhile, Squirtle isn't that far off from Blastoise in popular, a couple times actually getting over Blastoise in popularity like the Pokemon of the Year Top 30 poll.

Sure we like to pay attention to the fully evolved Starter Pokemon that are popular like Greninja, Decidueye, Cinderace and whatnot, but people forget that the Starter Pokemon themselves are almost just as popular, if not sometimes surpass their fully evolved forms in popularity. Rowlet ties with Decidueye, Mudkip ties with Sceptile and Blaziken while Swampert is slightly less popular than all 3 of them, Oshawott is far more popular than the other 2 Starters and is far more popular compared the other Starter Evos aside from Serperior who is around Oshawott's popularity, Piplup is more popular than Torterra and Empoleon and is slightly more popular than Infernape.

Basically, just because they may not have been asked for compared to Charizard, does not mean that they weren't welcome when they happened. We've practically placed the Starter Final Evos on a pedestal for Smash speculation not so much for their popularity, but because they have been expected to happen. That doesn't mean that the Starter Pokemon themselves aren't popular, let alone other Pokemon. Why else have people been asking for a Pokemon like Ogrepon, Tinkaton, Gholdengo or Mimikyu?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Bulbasaur is actually greatly more popular than Venusaur. Bulbasaur is almost always in the Top 10 while Venusaur is often much lower compared to Charizard and Blastoise.
Have you ever noticed that Sakurai's said he's considered having Blastoise playable rather than Squirtle, but not Venusaur rather than Ivysaur? I kind of wonder if he always thought Venusaur was too bulky to work as a fighter.

Top Bottom