• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
i just don't know how much stock I can put in a DK-led "Elite Four" poll when it's already been mentioned that the dk subreddit hosted a link to it and not other big subs like the zelda one. Feels like the same kinda unintentional lopsidedness that happens to any poll where Team Fortress 2 Heavy makes an appearance.

Granted, I'm raising alarms over Dixie Kong for no reason, lol. I'm sure hindsight will show a lot of love given to characters even in the top 40 or beyond in this.
As someone apathetic (leaning towards negative) on Dixie Kong, I really don't think anything nefarious is afoot. She was already fairly high up, and it's not like the DK subreddit was the only one to respond.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Regardless of this poll, I’ve been thinking to myself that the next game is Dixie’s time to “come home” or whatever the hell yall say when a 90s character becomes playable.

Same with BWD, we’re just at that point in the process of elimination for new characters. :174:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
Dixie always scores high in this kind of polls. She scored fairly high even before K. Rool got in.
Dixie also will never get in Smash.

About Waluigi, him not being the absolute #1 doesn't surprise me. The core Smash fanbase has always had slightly different tastes from the extremely casual crowd... He's still fairly high anyways.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Dixie always scores high in this kind of polls. She scored fairly high even before K. Rool got in.
Dixie also will never get in Smash.
That’s a pretty definitive statement, dude. We saw a lot of “never evers” make the jump last time, some of them with way bigger hurdles to clear than Dixie.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
not to be a contrarian but personally I don't see the appeal at all of Dixie Kong. I don't get all the support.
Me but Bandanna, people says he more than enemy with spear but he really not outside some basic ass surface level character traits that's you'd find jotted into an instruction manual

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
not to be a contrarian but personally I don't see the appeal at all of Dixie Kong. I don't get all the support.
She floats and plays guitar and her hair is a banana.

That’s a pretty definitive statement, dude. We saw a lot of “never evers” make the jump last time, some of them with way bigger hurdles to clear than Dixie.
Eh, I'll believe it when I see it.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Because she's basically the third protagonist of the classic DKC games, literally being the star of the 3rd entry, and also for more female characters. It was also confirmed that Dixie was cut during development of Brawl, with her being a duo fighter with Diddy (just like DKC2) if I'm not mistaken.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I've said this a million times by now, but it's still really sad to know that Dixie actually was seriously considered for inclusion back in Brawl...as a tag team partner for Diddy Kong, like in DKC2. But then it proved to be technologically unfeasible and Dixie was scrapped entirely in favour of just solo Diddy, and then Sakurai never looked back.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Man it's gonna be real freakin' weird if Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong somehow miss yet another game.
I could see Dixie Kong missing the boat, tbh.
Bandana Dee? I would be more surprised if he's missing, only way i could see him not begin choosen is if they choose Magolor instead.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
if they choose Magolor instead.
If we're going with the "we can't get another Kirby character because Sakurai didn't make all the ones people want" theory...he'd be more likely to want Bandana Dee instead of Magalor. He made his partial debut in Super Star, AKA that Kirby game Smash keeps referencing.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
If we're going with the "we can't get another Kirby character because Sakurai didn't make all the ones people want" theory...he'd be more likely to want Bandana Dee instead of Magalor. He made his partial debut in Super Star, AKA that Kirby game Smash keeps referencing.
Kinda feel like that will change a bit with forgotten land existing now.
Like i doubt they're going to skip a stage from that game.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Not saying that this really means anything going forward, but it's really funny to me that Bandana Dee's only presence in Smash Ultimate in any shape or form was checks notes a mere upgrade to the regular Waddle Dee spirit. Which means he doesn't even get his own dedicated spirit battle.

It's just funny considering how all of the other popular rejected characters like Waluigi, Krystal, Dixie, Isaac, Shovel Knight, Shantae, etc all got notable consolation prizes like assist trophies, spirit battles, and Mii outfits. Hell, if you go back to Smash 4, Bandana Dee doesn't even show up at all.

It does make you kinda sorta wonder how much Sakurai values the character, tbh.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Not saying that this really means anything going forward, but it's really funny to me that Bandana Dee's only presence in Smash Ultimate in any shape or form was checks notes a mere upgrade to the regular Waddle Dee spirit. Which means he doesn't even get his own dedicated spirit battle.

It's just funny considering how all of the other popular rejected characters like Waluigi, Krystal, Dixie, Isaac, Shovel Knight, Shantae, etc all got notable consolation prizes like assist trophies, spirit battles, and Mii outfits. Hell, if you go back to Smash 4, Bandana Dee doesn't even show up at all.

It does make you kinda sorta wonder how much Sakurai values the character, tbh.
Its all he deserves...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
i just don't know how much stock I can put in a DK-led "Elite Four" poll when it's already been mentioned that the dk subreddit hosted a link to it and not other big subs like the zelda one. Feels like the same kinda unintentional lopsidedness that happens to any poll where Team Fortress 2 Heavy makes an appearance.

Granted, I'm raising alarms over Dixie Kong for no reason, lol. I'm sure hindsight will show a lot of love given to characters even in the top 40 or beyond in this.
Have you seen this post?

Okay, my adventures into reddit have been somewhat fruitful.

• Super Smash Bros (not the main two)
  • Donkey Kong
  • Xenoblade
  • Star Fox
  • Kirby
  • Earthbound
  • Punch Out!!
  • Advance Wars
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Ring Fit Adventure

These subreddits have agreed to host the poll.

Most subreddits have either ignored me or just haven't seen the request back. The Legend of Zelda, Wii Fit and Golden Sun have explicitly denied the request and that's fair. Having results to show to Reddit with the nice visuals has been very helpful in getting traction.

We're only one vote away from 800 votes. I believe you all deserve a write up once it reaches 1,000.

Thank you all for your help. The poll wouldn't have been this successful without each of you. I'm incredibly grateful.
I've been trying to spread this around as much as possible and I'm trying to be as upfront with which subs have hosted the poll.

For the record, Xenoblade and Kirby have been the ones where it's been the most accepted. DK gave one comment and just a couple up votes.

Oh, and this morning the subreddit for Paper Mario agreed to it. So it's there too.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That said, Steve as he is in Smash was certainly more appealing than whatever the monstrosity people were spewing out beforehand.
And he's still a monstrosity, but for reasons that have nothing to do with how he looks.

Borskaboska

Smash Apprentice
You can be both important and not appealing. Just saying.
Yeah thats where im at with her, she doesn't have an interesting personality beyond 'girl' and any any moveset potential is going to have a lot of overlap with diddy. The only thing i could see dixie doing that would warrant inclusion is if they incorporated the animal buddies somehow?

Me but Bandanna, people says he more than enemy with spear but he really not outside some basic ass surface level character traits that's you'd find jotted into an instruction manual
Im not a huge fan of bandana dee either. It's hard out there in the smash community for people like us, but we gotta stay strong
😔✊

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah thats where im at with her, she doesn't have an interesting personality beyond 'girl' and any any moveset potential is going to have a lot of overlap with diddy. The only thing i could see dixie doing that would warrant inclusion is if they incorporated the animal buddies somehow?
Well, yeah?

A big portion of Dixie supporters are okay with or at least accept that she'd probably be a clone of Diddy Kong to some degree.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
Similar body types. Just look at Samus and Dark Samus.
Dark Samus, as much as I appreciate what they did with her animations, was a rushed job and they didn't include most of her unique abilities; even then, her silhouette isn't as different to Samus's than Dixie's is to Diddy's (courtesy of her ponytail).

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I would complain about some people not being fans of Bandana Dee when he's just a little guy that likes apple juice and knows his way around a spear, but I'm not really big on Dixie (maybe because I haven't played enough DKC) or Waluigi, so I don't know that I really have room to talk lol

All I feel like I can say about typical popular character choices is that in my opinion, if Geno doesn't happen this game I feel like he just never will, because he's in the best position he's ever been in, and it won't become any better a position unless they suddenly make Super Mario RPG 2 lol

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Unrelated to the current discussion, but if Terry comes back then they have no choice but to change his Final Smash.

Not because it's bad, but because how do you look at THIS and not realize that it could be even better:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I will ask. Are there concerns with how the poll is being handled?

I know that no poll will be perfect but I think it's still valuable.
I think you're doing your best and that's all we can ask. It would just be good to try to keep track as best we can of where the votes are coming from, especially if it's being spread among certain fandoms' Reddits and whatnots.

Btw, has the poll been spread to series-specific forums and sites like, for example, Serenes Forest or Serebii?

Top Bottom