• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Similarly, I think Alear using a character as popular as Lyn as an assist would kind of insulting to the people who have advocated for her for the last 15 years.

I really just don’t think this is a good idea no matter what, unless they are characters that are far flung from any serious conversation. Certainly even worse for returning veterans, like holy crap that would go over horribly.
It's one thing to have a character join as a Final Smash, since that at least brings with it a level of prestige.

Imagine wanting a character for years only for them to end up being a neutral special lmao.

rip toad

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Genuinely I don't even know if Alear specifically NEEDS the Emblems for a full moveset. I feel like they'd have to be included in some way since it's the whole new gameplay thing with Engage, but like their upgraded Divine Dragon class can use both swords (Liberation) and Arts, so Alear could honestly have a stance type of setup where they can either attack you with swords like a typical FE character, or cast it all aside and go full rushdown to beat you to death with their bare hands lmao

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Genuinely I don't even know if Alear specifically NEEDS the Emblems for a full moveset. I feel like they'd have to be included in some way since it's the whole new gameplay thing with Engage, but like their upgraded Divine Dragon class can use both swords (Liberation) and Arts, so Alear could honestly have a stance type of setup where they can either attack you with swords like a typical FE character, or cast it all aside and go full rushdown to beat you to death with their bare hands lmao
Honestly yeah. Like Heroes especially, lately, has been leaning into Alear's use of arts hard. It's to the point where she's basically a battle monk who can shoot energy beams while also occasionally using a sword.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Honestly yeah. Like Heroes especially, lately, has been leaning into Alear's use of arts hard. It's to the point where she's basically a battle monk who can shoot energy beams while also occasionally using a sword.
I've always thought Alear's best Final Smash would be turning into their Emblem form, rushing through someone, and either comboing them into or just blasting them with Dragon Blast, so I'd honestly be super okay with Arts getting some rep in Smash since they're a pretty new weapon type for the series.

EDIT: And if Alear only gets one Emblem for the requisite representation of the new gameplay mechanic, I figure it would be Marth (their personal one during their long sleep) or Sigurd (since Marth is already in the game and Sigurd belonged to Lumera).

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Remember that old image that described Smash Bros. fans whenever Ridley was brought up before his playable appearance?

We need a Fire Emblem version. Cause the anger and rage that happens whenever Fire Emblem gets brought up feels like it has greatly surpassed whatever happened after any arguments regarding Ridley. Because more often that not, it feels like Smash fans try to force themselves or others to get angry or disgruntled whenever Fire Emblem gets brought up, even to others who don't hate or care about Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
The next Smash should just do what Melee was originally meant to, but extend it to all JRPG characters. Make them exclusive to the JP version. We'll be missing a good chunk of the roster globally but at least there'll be no anime characters right? :4pacman:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The next Smash should just do what Melee was originally meant to, but extend it to all JRPG characters. Make them exclusive to the JP version. We'll be missing a good chunk of the roster globally but at least there'll be no anime characters right? :4pacman:
only photo realistic characters? no thank you

Laniv

Smash Champion
I know I’m beating a dead horse myself but I wanted to see other people’s responses bro the question presented by this tweet. New character emblems for life btw
Making characters that people want and have wanted for years into a special move for someone else will always be a terrible idea.

1722200187647.png

I should know.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I generally cheer fans of "Japan Only" getting content, be it truly localized or just made accessible. But for Smash I'd be ... irritated lol

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If he's an Ike Echo, he can come. But if he's going to take a unique Fighter slot, he's out!
I'm not sure why you keep pushing Black Knight as an Ike echo. It's been made very clear that this just can't happen.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm not sure why you keep pushing Black Knight as an Ike echo.
It's the best he deserves. I'm equally fine with him not coming at all.

It's been made very clear that this just can't happen.
By people who don't get to decide that?

Ganondorf as a Falcon clone is way more ridiculous, and that already happened. Therefor, Black Knight as an Ike Echo CAN happen.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
and what about series with both international releases and Japan only?
I'm happy for anyone but if Smash specifically gets split into territories I'd be mad even if I don't think the EU or Japan or US rosters are all that significantly different (like 1 unique character each) for Smash everyone the world over should get the same roster.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, because a guy with armor that rivals the weight of Bowser and walks the speed of Exdeath from Dissidia makes perfect sense as an Echo for Ike.
And their bodyshapes are not similar enough, a hard requirement from Sakurai himself.

Close gets you Pichu, who is clearly a different shape. Echoes were always a different kind of clone from previous games.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
BK being Ike's echo could work...if Ike wasn't drifting further and further away from being a mighty glacier in every Smash game. He actually borrows Ike's aerials in PMEX Remix, but since even PM makes Ike more mobile, that's all he could borrow.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
I am pretty sure echoes have to be the same height, build and what not as the character they echo in order to be an actual echo. That is why those like the Melee clones aren’t really classified as echoes, are they not? If anything, Black Knight would just probably be a clone, or semi-clone of Ike if he were to be one.

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf as a Falcon clone is way more ridiculous, and that already happened. Therefor, Black Knight as an Ike Echo CAN happen.
Falcondorf is something that would never happen today tbf. Melee era was different

if Ike wasn't drifting further and further away from being a mighty glacier in every Smash game.
Is he? I know they made him faster and weaker in 4 but I feel like Ultimate reverted him back to being a Glacier somewhat. They barely boosted his speed values compared to everyone else, so he's about as slow relative to the cast as he was in Brawl, and they undid the power nerfs to some of his kit (shoutout to his jab KOing again).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I am pretty sure echoes have to be the same height, build and what not as the character they echo in order to be an actual echo. That is why those like the Melee clones aren’t really classified as echoes, are they not? If anything, Black Knight would just probably be a clone, or semi-clone of Ike if he were to be one.
Ironically Dr. Mario could've been one in Melee. But once Smash 4 hit, he got massive stat differences(far more than Ken could have), but also being a Melee veteran, so it's not that surprising he isn't classified as one. He's much more different than the most different Echo. And it's noted that Ken barely counts as one, if only due to it being somewhat arbitrary compared to the others which heavily fit the bill. He's the "original Echo" in Street Fighter. Though if somewhat fair, his differences are still overstated. He still plays quite similarly to Ryu, and is only borderline a regular clone at best. Absolutely could fit either label, though.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ironically Dr. Mario could've been one in Melee. But once Smash 4 hit, he got massive stat differences(far more than Ken could have), but also being a Melee veteran, so it's not that surprising he isn't classified as one. He's much more different than the most different Echo. And it's noted that Ken barely counts as one, if only due to it being somewhat arbitrary compared to the others which heavily fit the bill. He's the "original Echo" in Street Fighter. Though if somewhat fair, his differences are still overstated. He still plays quite similarly to Ryu, and is only borderline a regular clone at best. Absolutely could fit either label, though.
I thought Dr. Mario could have been an echo. Heck! From what I know, he was so easy to create in Smash 4 with Mario’s data and even had a similar Final Smash. If only he did not have a different Down B, among other reasons as to why he was no echo, of course! The Down B is probably too trivial of a reason, anyway.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If there’s anything Fire Emblem doesn’t need it’s more clone characters.

FE4 is my favorite FE so I hope a remake is timed well enough for Sigurd or Seliph to become playable.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ah yes, the three topics:
  1. What the heck is going on with Pokémon?
  2. Pls add Kirb/Zelda.
  3. What the heck even is an Echo Fighter?

Not a criticism of this threat by the way. If I wanted to talk about something else I'd lead with that. lul

Oh yeah, and as far as Alear goes. I'd imagine they'd just use Marth. That being said, I doubt we'll be seeing Alear.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I thought Dr. Mario could have been an echo. Heck! From what I know, he was so easy to create in Smash 4 with Mario’s data and even had a similar Final Smash. If only he did not have a different Down B, among other reasons as to why he was no echo, of course! The Down B is probably too trivial of a reason, anyway.
Yeah, Down B didn't matter so much as massive stat changes overall. Ken's stat changes do exist, but they're far less. Him being called the original Echo also plays an obvious role in the designation. Just like Dr. Mario debuting in Melee likely played a role. That, and Dr. Mario isn't known to be a costume during Melee's development like in Smash 4. Which his situation is "a popular veteran was turned back into playable status" whereas Dark Pit and Lucina could've stayed costumes and it would matter a lot less. That said, another factor was they already knew what to do with the Doc and Dark Pit and Lucina had ideas to split them apart. So that helped too. If Dr. Mario wasn't in Melee, he probably would've stayed a costume as is.

Other than being last minute, Dr. Mario in Melee and Dr. Mario in Smash 4 don't really share much in common. Obviously his moveset is meant to be close to his Melee one, but their situations are pretty different beyond that. But yeah, everything went pretty well for that character due to some luck in a previous game, really~

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Oh yeah, and as far as Alear goes. I'd imagine they'd just use Marth. That being said, I doubt we'll be seeing Alear.
I think Pokemon and Fire Emblem are in a similar weird position where something COULD come out before the next Smash does (another FE, possibly in the Switch 2 launch window, and Gen 10), but we have no idea if it'll be too late or not? Because like Greninja got added to Smash 4 when X and Y came out a year before Smash 4 because Sakurai picked from concept art, but Min-Min and Pyra were too late into Ultimate's development, so it kinda feels like it would depend on who tells Sakurai and co. about stuff when?

That being said, I'm kinda erring on the side of what we have now being what we have to work with, so I'm expecting Alear and hoping for Ogerpon since I find Ogerpon more interesting in certain regards than Meowscarada, who I don't really have strong opinions on one way or another.

Could always be wrong, but eh, as much as I like Alear personally, I'm not really stressed if they don't make it lol

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, Down B didn't matter so much as massive stat changes overall. Ken's stat changes do exist, but they're far less. Him being called the original Echo also plays an obvious role in the designation. Just like Dr. Mario debuting in Melee likely played a role. That, and Dr. Mario isn't known to be a costume during Melee's development like in Smash 4. Which his situation is "a popular veteran was turned back into playable status" whereas Dark Pit and Lucina could've stayed costumes and it would matter a lot less. That said, another factor was they already knew what to do with the Doc and Dark Pit and Lucina had ideas to split them apart. So that helped too. If Dr. Mario wasn't in Melee, he probably would've stayed a costume as is.

Other than being last minute, Dr. Mario in Melee and Dr. Mario in Smash 4 don't really share much in common. Obviously his moveset is meant to be close to his Melee one, but their situations are pretty different beyond that. But yeah, everything went pretty well for that character due to some luck in a previous game, really~
Well, I did not say much about Melee Dr.Mario and Smash 4 Dr. Mario, comparison wise. In fact, if I recall correctly, even though he got in he had to be built from the ground up due to data for Melee not being compatible with the Wii U and 3DS. Still, I did not say anything about the other reasons why Dr. Mario was not a clone in the end because you already did so, and I think you did a pretty good job explaining it yourself; the one before and this post I quote.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
the discussion has looped back to echo debates for what feels like the twenty-seventh time

In all seriousness I do not want another FE clone, but I would welcome Black Knight as a standalone character. He's got a great design that none of the other FE characetrs even resemble and could have a very unique play style from them. More villains is always a plus.

I feel bad for FE fans because there's characters that they actually want in due to their merits (Lyn, Black Knight, etc) but every game we just get whatever anime prettyboy/girl is the most relevant as the blatant shill pick.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

In all seriousness I do not want another FE clone, but I would welcome Black Knight as a standalone character. He's got a great design that none of the other FE characetrs even resemble and could have a very unique play style from them. More villains is always a plus.

I feel bad for FE fans because there's characters that they actually want in due to their merits (Lyn, Black Knight, etc) but every game we just get whatever anime prettyboy/girl is the most relevant as the blatant shill pick.
We’re cursed to wander the desert (the same three topics) until we can find an oasis (actual Smash content to discuss)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Let's talk about Famicom Detective Club. What do you think would get Ayumi in for sure?
At the very least, I know the funny Bombastic Bag Man game pretty much skyrocketed FDC's relevancy. Whether or not this increases Ayumi's chances overall is another story, but I'd like to think Sakurai at least played the remakes of the first two FDC games.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Let's talk about Famicom Detective Club. What do you think would get Ayumi in for sure?
The new game being a breakout success both in Japan and overseas. Even though the games are getting localized, it's still an incredibly niche franchise so I think it's likely that it's audience would have to grow significantly for a roster consideration. I don't think it would need to do crazy numbers mind you but at least be a moderate success that places it in the same range as Xenoblade or Pikmin were previously.

Last edited:
Top Bottom