• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I beat Astral Chain and thought the gameplay was a ton of fun but the combat mechanics would be tricky to translate into Smash. I’m sure they’d find a way to simplify it but I’m not sure the best way while still keeping the general concept and feel of the combat. It gets even more complicated if you start adding all the different kinds of Legions beyond the starting sword Legion. I do like your ideas though and they seem like they’d work well.

If, for some reason, they can’t make the Legion system work for Smash and they still wanted an Astral Chain character, I’d love to see Jenna Anderson instead. I just love her design and her combat isn’t as complex. I’d prefer both Officer Howard and Jenna though.
or we could just give them a pretty straight forward move set with the legion appearing for certain attacks

Sometimes I wonder who you support that isn’t Toy Link :4pacman:
octoroks

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Like I said, why not give BotW Link all of his different adult incarnations' outfits as alternates? Since BotW Link does have outfits of all the different Links, including Toy Link(no matter how cursed it looks), in his games.
Yeah I’d love that. I’d want them to go a step further than BotW or TotK and actually have the alt be the actual alternate Link and not just BotW Link in their outfit but I’d take either.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I have a bit of an interesting question for you guys, to gauge something I've been thinking about for a bit now.

:ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:

If you can, try to imagine none of the Pokemon in Smash made it into the series except Pikachu... which of them do you think would have the most vocal fan support today? Who would you personally still want, even after their Generation has come and gone?

By default I assume prominent Gen 1 Pokemon like Charizard and Mewtwo would still have a following. Maybe a controversial take, but I think Mewtwo support would be a little stronger. While Charizard is demonstrably more popular in the general public, I feel like the power fantasy of a legendary Pokemon and a more sinister, mysterious kind of Pokemon would be more enticing. Charizard would moreso "make sense" and you'd have people suggesting it could show up at any point, but others may see it like if it was going to be added, it would have been already. Whereas I could see Mewtwo developing a Ridley-esque cult following blossoming into a strong, vocal support base.

It's hard for me to say for Lucario or Greninja. They're still popular, but I wonder if the community would have kinda moved on after their time in the sun and figured they missed their chance. I do think the Kalos focus for the next Legends game at least puts Greninja back in people's mouths. But generally with these kind of movie / starter Pokemon we figure they just unfortunately missed out. It's also hard to say how much Smash influenced their popularity overall, and what the future of the characters looks like without it. Gen 1 kinda gets a pass for obvious reasons.

I dunno, just thought it's an interesting talking point. With how difficult it is to slim down this lineup of characters as well, I kind of want to know which ones are actually the most popular and who would be the most missed / desired. I think I'd still want to see Mewtwo, someone from the Bulbasaur line and maybe Greninja if I had never seen them in Smash yet. I'd like to say Incin but it really is the execution that sold me on him.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I have a bit of an interesting question for you guys, to gauge something I've been thinking about for a bit now.

:ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:

If you can, try to imagine none of the Pokemon in Smash made it into the series except Pikachu... which of them do you think would have the most vocal fan support today? Who would you personally still want, even after their Generation has come and gone?

By default I assume prominent Gen 1 Pokemon like Charizard and Mewtwo would still have a following. Maybe a controversial take, but I think Mewtwo support would be a little stronger. While Charizard is demonstrably more popular in the general public, I feel like the power fantasy of a legendary Pokemon and a more sinister, mysterious kind of Pokemon would be more enticing. Charizard would moreso "make sense" and you'd have people suggesting it could show up at any point, but others may see it like if it was going to be added, it would have been already. Whereas I could see Mewtwo developing a Ridley-esque cult following blossoming into a strong, vocal support base.

It's hard for me to say for Lucario or Greninja. They're still popular, but I wonder if the community would have kinda moved on after their time in the sun and figured they missed their chance. I do think the Kalos focus for the next Legends game at least puts Greninja back in people's mouths. But generally with these kind of movie / starter Pokemon we figure they just unfortunately missed their chance. It's also hard to say how much Smash influenced their popularity overall, and what the future of the characters looks like without it.

I dunno, just thought it's an interesting talking point. With how difficult it is to slim down this lineup of characters as well, I kind of want to know which ones are actually the most popular and who would be the most missed / desired. I think I'd still want to see Mewtwo, someone from the Bulbasaur line and maybe Greninja if I had never seen them in Smash yet. I'd like to say Incin but it really is the execution that sold me on him.
I feel like the general consensus would be Charizard, Lucario, and Greninja, with Mewtwo slightly behind. I doubt there would be a ton of support for Jigglypuff, Squirtle, or Ivysaur and Incineroar would be somewhere in the middle. As for me personally, my most wanted Pokemon wouldn’t change because none of my absolute favorites are in yet. Lucario’s a top five for his typing and I like the others too but they’re not at the very top of my list.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

It's hard for me to say for Lucario or Greninja. They're still popular, but I wonder if the community would have kinda moved on after their time in the sun and figured they missed their chance. I do think the Kalos focus for the next Legends game at least puts Greninja back in people's mouths. But generally with these kind of movie / starter Pokemon we figure they just unfortunately missed out. It's also hard to say how much Smash influenced their popularity overall, and what the future of the characters looks like without it.

EVERYONE wonders why they aren't in:
:ultcharizard:
Major Fan Bases:
:ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultpokemontrainer:
Notable Mentions:
:ultgreninja:
Seldom Mentioned:
:ultpichu:
Literally Never Mentioned:
:ultjigglypuff::ultincineroar::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur:

EDIT: If Mewtwo was never added, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fan rule about no Legendary Pokémon at some point during speculation.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

It's hard for me to say for Lucario or Greninja. They're still popular, but I wonder if the community would have kinda moved on after their time in the sun and figured they missed their chance. I do think the Kalos focus for the next Legends game at least puts Greninja back in people's mouths. But generally with these kind of movie / starter Pokemon we figure they just unfortunately missed out. It's also hard to say how much Smash influenced their popularity overall, and what the future of the characters looks like without it. Gen 1 kinda gets a pass for obvious reasons.

The reason everyone expects a starter Pokémon every Smash game is because that’s the precedent that was set. If we lived in a world where that never happened, Pokemon support would look very different. It’d probably fall in line with how fans of other franchises support their characters.

First of all we’d all think it was ridiculous that a series as big as Pokemon still only had one character. It seems silly compared to how people actually feel now, but a lot of fans would really, really want new Pokemon characters. Probably several.

Secondly, because we’re not constricted to starters from the newest generation, the biggest characters to root for would be the fan favorites. Charizard, Gengar, Blaziken, Garchomp, Lucario, Greninja. I bet Mewtwo or Charizard would be the character, the one the whole fanbase gets behind.

As for who I’d want, I’d probably be desperate for another Pokemon fighter that I’d be down for anyone. Just so long as Pikachu wasn’t the only pocket monster on the roster. But that’s just the perspective of a hyper-fanboy :nifty:

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
First of all we’d all think it was ridiculous that a series as big as Pokemon still only had one character.
For what it's worth, I assumed the ones missing would more or less be replaced by different Pokemon less so than Pikachu would be the only character. But yes, if that was the case I'm sure people would be very, very confused and frustrated LOL. Unless we'd have assumed at that point that they're only allowing Smash to use Pikachu, for whatever reason.. I think that would have developed as a popular theory. I suppose if we did have a totally different crop of Pokemon our expectations would be warped to whatever pattern those followed as well.

Since you mention it, I've been thinking about Garchomp lately too. Not much to say about it, I just think it would be dope.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace

Charizard and Lucario would be getting the most push guaranted. Greninja might have a following, but it'd admittedly pale in comparison to those two.

I'd still want Mewtwo and Incineroar due to being among my favorites in general, but I wouldn't really be holding out for either of them if they hadn't gotten in by now.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Yeah obviously there are a lot of quirky ways to examine such a drastic hypothetical, but Zard, Lucario, and Greninja all seem likely to be very popular in almost any scenario. Mewtwo likely as well, but pending how the community views the possibility of legendaries (though Mewtwo being one of the most clearly feasible legendaries probably helps). I could see a good amount of support for the other Kanto starters, but without the notion of a Trainer character directly planted into the community mindset, it might end up cannibalized somewhat by Charizard. I don't see Jiggs, Pichu, or Incineroar having a ton of traction.

As for others, I actually wonder if certain ones like Gengar or Garchomp might get a bit less demand in this sort of situation where we don't have the most obvious same-gen picks like Charizard or Lucario yet. But I could see varying amounts of attention given to them or pretty much any other highly popular mon. Special mention to Eevee, which might stand out even more as a choice if Kanto representation is lesser and the cute NFE category is unoccupied by Jiggs and Pichu.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I think there's a chance Incin would have stayed a speculated character. In VGC, the official competitive format, Incineroar has been obnoxiously dominant since practically day 1. Not only have they refused to nerf it, it's gotten buffs every time it comes back. This would make Incineroar a VGC rep alongside a Gen 7 rep, which would give him a leg up on most legacy Pokemon choices (and I think makes his return likelier in actual Smash)

If only they chose Landorus Therian, who also represents Smogon OU. Alas...

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think there's a chance Incin would have stayed a speculated character. In VGC, the official competitive format, Incineroar has been obnoxiously dominant since practically day 1. Not only have they refused to nerf it, it's gotten buffs every time it comes back. This would make Incineroar a VGC rep alongside a Gen 7 rep, which would give him a leg up on most legacy Pokemon choices (and I think makes his return likelier in actual Smash)

In this alternate world where Incineroar never got into Smash but was still a beast in competitive, he’d probably be a meme pick. People support him ironically because it’d be funny, which eventually turns into completely unironic love for the character.

There would also be the Incineroar fans who were unironic from the start, but y’know.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

why would being a VGC rep give him a leg up on the other legacy Pokemon

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Charizard and Lucario would still be heavily demanded. They've been among the most popular and promoted Pokemon since their debuts and I'd imagine that would be the same even without Smash.

Greninja would also be highly demanded for similar reasons, though not as much as the above two.

Mewtwo would also be demanded, though I agree with everyone that there could've been more push back due to fan rules.

Incineroar may retain some underground support, but would also have a fair amount of push back due to the polarizing response other fans had to it and their preference to Decidueye.

Pichu and Jigglypuff would pop in here and there due to their roles in the anime, but would be far behind most requests.

Squirtle and especially Ivysaur would barely be present in speculation.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
In this alternate world where Incineroar never got into Smash but was still a beast in competitive, he’d probably be a meme pick. People support him ironically because it’d be funny, which eventually turns into completely unironic love for the character.

There would also be the Incineroar fans who were unironic from the start, but y’know.
Memes about how "VGC isn't challenging enough" so he'd join Smash for more of a fight. :p

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Charizard would be a request to rival the likes of Wario and Diddy Kong. Assuming people weren't resigned to his role as a Pokeball Pokemon.

Lucario would also be a huge request. He already was back in Brawl and his continued prominence in the franchise would push him to new heights.

Mewtwo would likely be more subdued but still fairly popular. He's still promoted so he'd be seen as a fairly possible pick.

Greninja would have support but I think people may think his time has passed. He'd be like Skull Kid. A popular request but not one seen as likely. The return to Kalos would get his fans excited.

Incineroar would see a moderate amount of support. He's more beloved than people in this thread seem to believe but he'd be way more low key. Seen as an impossibility.

Squirtle would be seen as on unorthodox choice but, one that would be brought up due to being an iconic Gen 1 Pokemon.

Jigglypuff and Pichu wouldn't be talked about very much. People would see them as old advertised characters that had their glory days long behind them.

Ivysaur wouldn't be brought up at all. He's dead. LMAO. In hindsight, he's probably the weirdest choice on the roster. He needed his gimmick to even be considered.

As for that gimmick, the Trainer as a concept would be brought up. But it would be this boring concept of bicycles and fishing rods. Nobody brought up the concept of switching Pokemon before the Pokemon Trainer reveal.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I forgot to mention. Charizard would be hit with the "too big" comments as well. "Charizard's true size," was a big point of discussion back then. The Zard we have now was seen as puny.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I forgot to mention. Charizard would be hit with the "too big" comments as well. "Charizard's true size," was a big point of discussion back then. The Zard we have now was seen as puny.
I was thinking about that, too. But I guess in this hypothetical, Ridley still gets in Ult? Which probably fixes this issue for Charizard. But yeah, that would probably get used to explain Charizard's exclusion.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Would he? I know Charizard is generally perceived as bigger than it actually is, but I feel like Smash fans are nerdy enough to know that it's only 5' 7''. Bowser's bigger than that in a lot of cases, even excluding games where he's randomly the size of a tall building.

It would be amusing to see people talking about how Charizard is too big for Smash when it's canonically shorter than me. lol

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Which is ironic as that only applies when compared to Pikachu directly, who is far larger than it should be in comparison to say, Mario.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Would he? I know Charizard is generally perceived as bigger than it actually is, but I feel like Smash fans are nerdy enough to know that it's only 5' 7''. Bowser's bigger than that in a lot of cases, even excluding games where he's randomly the size of a tall building.

It would be amusing to see people talking about how Charizard is too big for Smash when it's canonically shorter than me. lol
Keep in mind. Most people's perception of Charizard came from the 3D games and the anime. He certainly doesn't look 5'7" in those.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pichu is labeled as a "Tiny Mouse Pokemon" when its height is literally 1 foot.

How big are the mice you see when 1 foot is tiny for mouse standards?
:ultsora: : "I dunno. I've never seen one that small."

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Keep in mind. Most people's perception of Charizard came from the 3D games and the anime. He certainly doesn't look 5'7" in those.
That's true. The Pokémon is routinely shown as much larger in the anime. Funny enough, they did it to Lucario too. That one's 3' 11''.

Even funnier, wanna know what else is 3' 11''?
Fearow, Vileplume, Slowpoke, Muk, both Electrodes, Seadra, Yanma, Smeargle, Miltank, Unfezant, Alomomola, Vivillon, Zygarde 10%, Brambleghast, Wiglett, Wugtrio, Cetoddle, Scream Tail...

EDIT: For those who don't know what those are:
A bird, a flower, Slowpoke, a pile of sludge, the Poké Ball one, a dragonfly, an anthro artist puppy, a small cow, another bird, a mola mola fish, a butterfly, a doberman, a tumbleweed, Diglett but water, Dugtrio but water, a baby whale, and prehistoric Jigglypuff.

Pichu is labeled as a "Tiny Mouse Pokemon" when its height is literally 1 foot.

How big are the mice you see when 1 foot is tiny for mouse standards?
1' 4'' apparently.

Last edited:

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
While we're talking about Pikachu's size, Ultimate's sizes for the smallest and biggest characters in general are goofy af. Yeah Pika is bigger than he has any right to be, but look at this:

SSBUWebsiteRaichu2.png

Why in the frick is Pichu as tall as Pikachu? What did the devs feed her? Where's the rat spray? I don't feel safe man, mutants everywhere

Last edited:
Top Bottom