• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Alright, I’m curious about something. This one’s probably for DarthEnderX or Succumbio but anyone can feel free to answer. Are there any video game characters originating from before the NES that you’d either like to see in Smash or even think there’s a chance? We have a couple like Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, and Mr. Game & Watch but I’m having a hard time thinking of too many others. The only characters I can think of are Q-Bert, Frogger, and Pitfall Harry but I’m not even 100% sure when they debuted. I think they’re all from before NES.
Frogger would be a good addition, especially with all the games he's had since the arcades. He's owned by Konami too, so I could see him being a surprise pick at some point.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Alright, I’m curious about something. This one’s probably for DarthEnderX or Succumbio but anyone can feel free to answer. Are there any video game characters originating from before the NES that you’d either like to see in Smash or even think there’s a chance? We have a couple like Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, and Mr. Game & Watch but I’m having a hard time thinking of too many others. The only characters I can think of are Q-Bert, Frogger, and Pitfall Harry but I’m not even 100% sure when they debuted. I think they’re all from before NES.
Pitfall Harry!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, what do you guys think of the Smash original content we have? Things like Battlefield (and it's big and small variants), Final Destination, the original Smash music, the bosses, etc.

I do love the ability to play any track on the Smash stages, but at the same time, I do think some of Smash's identity has been taken away. There are a lot of great Smash Bros tracks that never get played.

I also really love all of the Smash themes. They're all great. Even Smash 64 and Smash 4. I actually think Smash 4's theme is underrated.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So, what do you guys think of the Smash original content we have? Things like Battlefield (and it's big and small variants), Final Destination, the original Smash music, the bosses, etc.
I love ‘em!

Obviously Smash is cool because of the crossover element, but I love seeing what original stuff they come up with. Even the weird stuff like those crazy ass Subspace enemies.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I do love the ability to play any track on the Smash stages, but at the same time, I do think some of Smash's identity has been taken away. There are a lot of great Smash Bros tracks that never get played.

I also really love all of the Smash themes. They're all great. Even Smash 64 and Smash 4. I actually think Smash 4's theme is underrated.
i certainly think the smash original music is really good. but the original stages just don't really interest me

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
We WILL get the titular Crazy Climber

superprincess

Smash Journeyman

The original stages are great, they're generic enough to pass as a general world for this crossover to take place in, but also not too generic to the point where they're boring. I also like how they keep iterating on them, so we always have new designs of Battlefield and Final Destination to look forward to alongside the brand new stages. One step I hope the next game takes is to give Small & Big Battlefield their own designs.

As for the music, I don't really tend to listen to video game music, but Smash's themes are always iconic. Brawl's theme is especially nostalgic for me, so I may be biased, but I'd say it's one of the greatest pieces of video game music out there. Even 64 has some enjoyable tunes like How to Play and Character Select themes. And yes, Smash 4's theme is insanely underrated; I'd say it's even better than Ultimate's.

I hate that any music track in the game can be played on Battlefield and FD now. It's stripping the Smash songs of the chance to be played more often. It also just feels wrong to hear stuff like Mario music on a desolate wasteland like BF.

The rest of the Smash original stuff like items, enemies, and bosses is fine I guess. I don't mind them, some ideas are cool, especially the ones seen in SSE. The SSB items just seem to cover functions that already-existing items couldn't bring to the table.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

I'm generally fond of original Smash content as it gives it just enough of a distinct identity to still stand out. The only real exception is original enemies. In moderation or selective use, they can be fine, but as the consistent element of a single player mode, it can feel like a waste of the entire crossover concept. Of Subspace Emissary's many problems, the constant use of non-affiliated monsters as mooks was one that got particularly tedious because I wanted to face off against foes from various Nintendo IP's and instead got "weird eyeball creature" as the face of the antagonists. Original bosses and especially an original big bad are more meaningful if you haven't been beating up OC's the entire campaign beforehand.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
It can be turned off??
Didn't know that's possible. But I also haven't fiddled with My Music in years so... I'll check it out next time I boot up Ultimate.
Yeah, you can fidget the Battlefields and FD whether to play from all stages or just what you set to those stages specifically through My Music.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah, you can fidget the Battlefields and FD whether to play from all stages or just what you set to those stages specifically through My Music.
Wait, I didn't know this either.

Tell me how.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Is this y’alls new buzzword?

Is someone else going to name their account after it? :4pacman:
I am Enog. I hate the star spirits AND wishes.

I've possessed this pile of homework (the opposite of a toy)and I've come to ruin your day with my sidekick Wollam.

I'm owned by Nintendo, but my franchise is stuck with Square Enix. I really want to be included in their big company wide crossover, Final Fantasy Dissidia.

Noipoi

Howdy!
If you where able to give a unrepresented series that you haven't played a rep, which one would you pick?
Haven't touched a Devil May Cry game in my life, and it's not like he's my most wanted character or anything, but Dante would be pretty cool. He's got a fun personality, and they could make a fun moveset for him. Plus we gotta make it up to the DMC fans for the great Byleth Bamboozle of 2020 :nifty:

Aside from him, Master Chief. We already have Banjo and Steve, let's get the other Microsoft rep in on this.

Greenhorne Ethan

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-4106-6771-3326

I totally agree that some identity is lost when any song can play on the Smash original stages, I'd go as far as to say I wish they didn't add that option.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If you where able to give a unrepresented series that you haven't played a rep, which one would you pick?
I’m not sure if League of Legends counts for me since I did play Legends of Runeterra and Ruined King but I’ve never played the main game. If it does, I’ll go with that mostly because I love the Arcane show. If not, I’ll go with Ninja Gaiden off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Was Bravely 3 good? I never played more than the demo.

I literally forgot the franchise existed. I played the 1st game so much on the 3DS
The latest game is actually Bravely Default 2. The second game was called Bravely Second. Kind of confusing I know. I’m in the middle of playing BD2 right now and I’m almost at the very end. I’m enjoying it but it is pretty unbalanced from what I’ve played. Body Slam (the final attack from the Freelancer class) is pretty overpowered and I kind of just spammed that the whole game making other offensive skills from other classes obsolete. It’s especially broken when combined with the skill “sub-class BP saver”. Still a fun game though even if it was very easy.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The latest game is actually Bravely Default 2. The second game was called Bravely Second. Kind of confusing I know. I’m in the middle of playing BD2 right now and I’m almost at the very end. I’m enjoying it but it is pretty unbalanced from what I’ve played. Body Slam (the final attack from the Freelancer class) is pretty overpowered and I kind of just spammed that the whole game making other offensive skills from other classes obsolete. It’s especially broken when combined with the skill “sub-class BP saver”. Still a fun game though even if it was very easy.
make sure to inflict the last few bosses with the MP draining status ailment

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm actually gonna echo DarthEnder and say Elden Ring. I don't have something that can run the game, but I've watched a few playthroughs of it and it's a wonderful game that I think could offer a lot to Smash.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I am Enog. I hate the star spirits AND wishes.

I've possessed this pile of homework (the opposite of a toy)and I've come to ruin your day with my sidekick Wollam.

I'm owned by Nintendo, but my franchise is stuck with Square Enix. I really want to be included in their big company wide crossover, Final Fantasy Dissidia.
And he comes from a niche platformer spin-off from a famous JRPG franchise.

ShotoStar

Smash Apprentice
I would've said Bub & Bob from Bubble Bobble as a duo fighter but apparently the original Bubble Bobble released in 1986 while the NES came out in 1985 so they're one year short. I would say that the most likely pre-NES character would have to be another Namco Arcade character like Taizo Hori (Dig Dug) or Mappy (Mappy) would make the most sense. Maybe Gilgamesh from The Tower of Druaga but he's more suited to a Mii Costume or Assist position since afaik that game isn't as beloved as Mappy and Dig Dug are

smashkirby

Smash Hero
The main thing I want for the adventure mode is local co-op play. I had several issues with World of Light in comparison to Subspace Emissary but that was one of the biggest. I also miss the platforming stages. Now that so many of the stages are basically simple Battlefield variants, I feel like Smash is losing that part of its identity. I’d be happy with either multiple separate stages like SSE or a single large MetroidVania world.
Was wondering if I was the only who noticed this, but it does feel like ever since Smash 4, the layout of certain things in Smash are losing their luster a bit.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Of Subspace Emissary's many problems, the constant use of non-affiliated monsters as mooks was one that got particularly tedious because I wanted to face off against foes from various Nintendo IP's and instead got "weird eyeball creature" as the face of the antagonists.
Wait, a Kirby villain was behind Tabuu all along?

DKing

Smash Rookie
Never played Shiren the wanderer but like him to represent spike chunsoft and the mystery dungeon series but it can be unlikely . Assist trophy and mii costume would be okay for me
Never played monster hunter but the popularity of this game is wild most of my friends played it on the Nintendo 3ds the switch and other platforms and it is widely loved in Japan, North America and Europe. I think the hunter is in a really likely spot to get in.

Top Bottom