• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
When I get home to go step by step, I will.

I just know I turned it off for everything but Small Battlefield since I figured I'd keep it for the stage added with the feature.
Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei
superprincess superprincess
Scrimblo Bimblo Scrimblo Bimblo

Go to My Music, select any of the Battlefields or FD, and in the top right corner there is a toggle that swaps between "All Songs" and "My Music".

Cheese&Chips

Smash Cadet
Premium
Also do you really think Geno is as big as any of those third-parties you mentioned

To the Smash community, yes; don't pretend you don't know what I meant. Geno may be obscure to other communities, but he is easily one of the most consistently requested characters in the history of the smash community. Come on, man, anyone who has paid attention to the Smash community or a single Nintendo online personality from the last 15 years knows that. Even Sakurai has commented on it in the past. You seriously think that the Nintendo circle of the Internet wouldn't implode after the 'it's not going to happen, so let it go' character of the last two decades finally got in?

It would result in a similar reaction to what we saw happen with Banjo as Geno caters to the exact same generation of gamers. Big Nintendo YouTubers like TerminalMontage and Alpharad aren't just crazy outliers when it comes to their love for him.

And I say this all as someone who really doesn't care for Geno.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Yeah a lot of americans dont know how f***** we europeans were back than we also didnt get many other rpgs!
Also no Kirbys dreamland 3 or earthbound for example!
Thats why it makes me a bit angry when americans complain about not getting say terranigma! Or saying You should really release mother 3 in america/ English!
No release mother 3 globally!

I just wanted to vent sorry!
BTW this availablity issue is why Videospiel-Man gets a bad English translation from me because its still better than nothing!
I wish i could release it in say Spanish Japanese and the like but i dont write those languages!

So I want to bring up a character I've come to very much having now played her trilogy recently. What do you all think of KOS-MOS chances from Xenosaga? She has so much cool move potential.
I have barely heard of her so i think her chances are slim!
However i havent heard about terry either so who knows!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So I want to bring up a character I've come to very much having now played her trilogy recently. What do you all think of KOS-MOS chances from Xenosaga? She has so much cool move potential.
I think she’d be a fun inclusion. Bandai-Namco has worked on recent Smash games and both they and Monolith Soft already have characters in Smash so I could see it. It would be cool if we could get Fei Fong Wong from Xenogears at some point too to complete the Xeno games. I think he’s owned by Square-Enix which is probably why we don’t see much with him these days.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
that's not strictly true
It isn't. First of all, Banjo was released worldwide. Super Mario RPG was completely unknown with us Europeans, and didn't sell as much compared to Banjo. However, from an American point of view it's probably true.

I kinda do think Geno has solid chances this time around tho. Does depend hugely if Square is down to having Cloud, Sephiroth and Hero again, and that's still very much in the air. If it wasn't for Square, it'd be much easier to speculate. Now it's just "dunno lol".

Nickthebrick1

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, fun scenario. Which character from valve do you believe would have the best shot of getting into Smash if contacted by Nintendo and why?

I think it would be Gordon Freeman, Chell or Heavy. Personally I wish Bill from L4D would get in but I don't think it's a possibility because the property isn't well known in the east, especially Japan. Would be a nice though though.

Truth the Ceomasterz33

Smash Journeyman
Hello, my fellow members. It has been busy with my family, activities, playing games, May vacations and others. I'll got with donor donations, but falling into ground and wake up. I just can't post in this threads and this sites until returning again.... Some regarding to cannot posting at this threads and sites until returning as Smashboards for late this June's.

I'll might be explain about May-June vacation's. Trying reply but playing games, eating foods, activities, my scheduling and others. Was been affected me.... Until returning as Smashboards. I'm observering at this threads and other threads, i'm back again.

I'll reminds for other fellow members. Some calling names for me. Please calling Truth or Richard or others for me! Please respect in me!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wonder how everyone would react if we somehow got Mallow instead of Geno. I’ve always liked Mallow better between the two but Geno definitely has way more fan support.
Probably would have a lot of bitterness attached. Mainly cause he's not the fan favorite. He's an interesting character(a pretty good support member for a while as is), and has some great character development(which sadly Geno lacks).

I'd hope he could get a costume if Geno becomes playable. Even if it's mostly a Hat(cause his body might be a fairly awkward costume too). Not sure if he'd fit Gunner or Brawler better, though. They both make sense. His body is a clear Brawler shape(as is some of his attacks), but his casting is much more magic-heavy compared, to say, Bowser, who has variance and some is more physical-like. Geno ironically has a lot of physical-style casting(that is, non-magical attacks), but is literally brandishing a firearm as part of his body. Being a Doll, it makes a lot of sense, heh.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not good, as apparently Namco-Bandai dismissed a Xenosaga remaster as "not profitable".

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Mallows a useless dumb crybaby cloud boy. He literally worthless once you get peach
I feel like that’s more because Peach is broken than Mallow being bad. I’m not sure how you’d even beat the game without Peach in your party. That’s one thing I didn’t really like about the game despite really liking it overall. Mario is literally mandatory to be in your party and Peach basically is as she’s the only really effective healer. That only leaves one truly open slot and I always went with Bowser because it was just too cool to play as the main villain of the mainline games in your party. That means I barely ever used either Geno or Mallow once I got Bowser.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like that’s more because Peach is broken than Mallow being bad. I’m not sure how you’d even beat the game without Peach in your party. That’s one thing I didn’t really like about the game despite really liking it overall. Mario is literally mandatory to be in your party and Peach basically is as she’s the only really effective healer. That only leaves one truly open slot and I always went with Bowser because it was just too cool to play as the main villain of the mainline games in your party. That means I barely ever used either Geno or Mallow once I got Bowser.
I got into the habit of rotating the three of them in the remake

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Mallows a useless dumb crybaby cloud boy. He literally worthless once you get peach
Not literally worthless. He saves you a lot of money if you're going for 100% completion on enemy bios. :4pacman:

I remember ditching Mallow when I got Peach on my first, half-finished run through, but I've been rotating them all out in the remake (I think I just beat the Cake). Mallow's lightning attacks are actually quite useful a lot of the time, and while Peach's group heal is a lot better than Mallow's single heal, I think the extra DPS the new super attack mechanic makes Peach a bit less necessary. And since you can swap party members in battle, you're not really missing out on her by using Mallow.

To be fair, I have been using a heck of a lot more healing items in my remake playthrough than I remember using in the original, and Peach is probably still way better than Mallow, but he's definitely a usable character in the remake.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Hello, my fellow members. It has been busy with my family, activities, playing games, May vacations and others. I'll got with donor donations, but falling into ground and wake up. I just can't post in this threads and this sites until returning again.... Some regarding to cannot posting at this threads and sites until returning as Smashboards for late this June's.

I'll might be explain about May-June vacation's. Trying reply but playing games, eating foods, activities, my scheduling and others. Was been affected me.... Until returning as Smashboards. I'm observering at this threads and other threads, i'm back again.

I'll reminds for other fellow members. Some calling names for me. Please calling Truth or Richard or others for me! Please respect in me!
Sounds fun enjoy your vacay!

KOS-MOS is OG but maybe Xenoblade Chronicles is their Smash rep and if they can maybe get an AT for KOS-MOS especially if there's a comeback and hard tie in or something...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I wonder how everyone would react if we somehow got Mallow instead of Geno. I’ve always liked Mallow better between the two but Geno definitely has way more fan support.
I'd just be... confused? It would feel like doing the opposite for the sake of being unexpected.

Like, Geno has been acknowledged by Sakurai twice, apparently as a character he thought would be a good fit for the series. Fans have asked for Geno on and off for 15+ years and that has been reflected through a Mii Costume. So he has a deep history in the Smash community, which has been officially acknowledged several times. Even if I personally preferred Mallow as a character, I would just be baffled at neglecting this in his favor. And arguably, Geno's moveset potential is greater. Unless they want to go for something of a sorcerer / stat effecting character then I think Geno is the more compelling choice on that front too.

So I think if that happened, I'd be confused and a little annoyed. If you're going to go out of your way to add someone from Mario RPG at all, it may as well be the one that everyone can't shut up about. Identical circumstances on paper but popularity is the definitive factor here, and the only reason this would happen in the first place. I like Mallow a lot, but it would just kinda be ridiculous.

Hey guys, fun scenario. Which character from valve do you believe would have the best shot of getting into Smash if contacted by Nintendo and why?
Chell, I've always had this gut feeling. Gordon is probably right up there too, but Portal just feels very Nintendo adjacent in general game design, aesthetic... and well, it's the only one of these big Valve series that is actually on Switch. I think both Nintendo and Valve are aware that there's a lot of crossover appeal between Portal and Nintendo's playerbase, hence the ports. Plus I mean, a Portal character would be nuts and mechanically be super compelling.

The series isn't as historically influential as Half Life, but it holds its own - Portal 2 is a critical darling that has topped many a greatest games of all time list. I think there is plenty of value in just representing a really great cultural achievement within the medium.

Maybe controversially, I really don't think TF2 would be on the table. Half Life and Portal are a good dichotomy of the company's most important and influential series, and then a critically beloved series with the most relation to Nintendo (however minor). TF2 is maybe the vocal fan favorite, although I don't think that volume is loud enough to obscure the admittedly stronger reasons to crossover with those other two series. I say this as someone with virtually no attachment to those other two series I mentioned, and abundant love for Team Fortress 2.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Has anyone ever brought up Gauntlet in regards to Smash? I played the original game a bit but I really liked Gauntlet Legends and Dark Legacy on the N64. I’m sure it’s not big enough to get a playable character but that series had some cool songs and was a fun co-op game at the time where there weren’t a whole lot of co-op adventure games.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
ah yes the aegis gambit
Well no, not quite.

That'd be like if Geno and Mallow were being pitched as a team, and were typically discussed as a team by fans. And they couldn't find a good way to make it work so they opted for the more popular and marketable of the two, whoever that would be... or perhaps the one with a more compelling mechanic, like if Mallow could stance change into Red Mallow who's faster and instead of clouds spawning rain and electricity would use fire.

Under those circumstances, I think that'd make sense to me. But who knows?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I would laugh. Hard. Like Light Yagami at the end of Death Note hard.
Not going to lie, I would too. I would feel bad for all the Geno supporters but I have laughed when we got something completely unexpected even if it was disappointing. Like Steve was my least wanted character and I hyped myself up before Byleth’s reveal thinking I might actually get one of my most wanted but I laughed both times. You can’t really let stuff like that get to you and I feel it’s better to just have fun with it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I started a new playthrough of Astral Chain (curse of the "I stopped playing for too long and now I don't know what's going on") and it inspired me to think about how the Player/Legionis/Officer Howard would work in Smash. For simplicity, only the Sword Legion will be used. I'm also probably mis-naming everything, but you can still get the idea.

Legion Mechanics:
The Legion works almost exactly like Luma, attacking as you do, but being unable to grab, be grabbed, or shield. Unlike Luma, the Legion stays put after being sent forth, allowing for greater control, but less ease of use. It's also got a gauge attached to it that drains passively while the Legion is on the field. Hitting opponents with your normals refills it, but the legion getting hit drains it by quite a lot. If it reaches 0, you can't use your legion until it refills completely. There is a maximum distance that you can be away from your Legion due to the physical tether, and the Legion will move toward you if you move too far. If you are launched beyond this distance, the Legion is yanked toward you.

With Legion:
  • :GCB:Send Legion/Control Legion/Recall Legion: Tapping the button has you use a special move very similar to Luma Shot that sends the Legion forward, stopping a set distance away from the player, or until they reach an opponent, attacking once they stop. / Holding the button allows you to move the Legion manually with the left control stick. You cannot move while you do this. / Tapping the button while the Legion is away has them swiftly return to you.
  • :GCR::GCB:Legion Slash: The Legion does a slash in a line centered on itself that popps up opponents for combos. This can be angled however you wish, allowing you to hit opponents approaching the Legion in any direction.
  • :GCU::GCB:Legion Jump: Tapping the button has you jump to your Legion. Holding it has you recall your Legion before sending them out, and jumping to wherever they end up, making the recovery similar to Fire Fox. Either way, there isn't a hitbox until you reach your Legion, but you don't get put into free fall if you initiate the move on the ground.
Without Legion:
  • :GCB:Fire Gun: Fires a burst of three bullets from your gun. These are very weak, straight shooting projectiles that only have hitstun against airborne opponents.
  • :GCR::GCB:Baton Rush: A flurry of strikes with the baton similar to Mii Swordfighter's Blurring Blade. Not super practical to use in most cases.
  • :GCU::GCB:Skybound Gladius: An uppercut with the gladius that can be used as an out of shield option in a pinch, but is super unsafe on whiff or shield, and has a pitiful recovery distance.

Down Special:
Call/Dismiss Legion: Summons or dismisses your Legion. Use to manage your Legion meter, and getting the Legion out of bad situations that simply recalling won't avoid.
I like these ideas as a baseline, though I do have some concerns:
  • This seems like Rosalina & Luma, but overtuned.
    • In some ways though, the design seems like it'd be more engaging for both the player and the opponent since maintaining and removing the puppet is less centered around AI quirks.
  • The Legion controls could be a bit too convoluted.
    • The recovery in particular could be a bit wonky, though I don't know how you'd fix that without it similarly being wonky.
      • You could further separate the recovery methods by only having the second method available if the Legion is already by your side (you'd have to use Recall Legion first in order to use it otherwise), but then you'd have an issue where the Legion got launched behind you while your panicking and you send yourself backward, and put yourself in free fall.
      • You could also remove the first function, but that would make me sad.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I started a new playthrough of Astral Chain (curse of the "I stopped playing for too long and now I don't know what's going on") and it inspired me to think about how the Player/Legionis/Officer Howard would work in Smash. For simplicity, only the Sword Legion will be used. I'm also probably mis-naming everything, but you can still get the idea.

Legion Mechanics:
The Legion works almost exactly like Luma, attacking as you do, but being unable to grab, be grabbed, or shield. Unlike Luma, the Legion stays put after being sent forth, allowing for greater control, but less ease of use. It's also got a gauge attached to it that drains passively while the Legion is on the field. Hitting opponents with your normals refills it, but the legion getting hit drains it by quite a lot. If it reaches 0, you can't use your legion until it refills completely. There is a maximum distance that you can be away from your Legion due to the physical tether, and the Legion will move toward you if you move too far. If you are launched beyond this distance, the Legion is yanked toward you.

With Legion:
  • :GCB:Send Legion/Control Legion/Recall Legion: Tapping the button has you use a special move very similar to Luma Shot that sends the Legion forward, stopping a set distance away from the player, or until they reach an opponent, attacking once they stop. / Holding the button allows you to move the Legion manually with the left control stick. You cannot move while you do this. / Tapping the button while the Legion is away has them swiftly return to you.
  • :GCR::GCB:Legion Slash: The Legion does a slash in a line centered on itself that popps up opponents for combos. This can be angled however you wish, allowing you to hit opponents approaching the Legion in any direction.
  • :GCU::GCB:Legion Jump: Tapping the button has you jump to your Legion. Holding it has you recall your Legion before sending them out, and jumping to wherever they end up, making the recovery similar to Fire Fox. Either way, there isn't a hitbox until you reach your Legion, but you don't get put into free fall if you initiate the move on the ground.
Without Legion:
  • :GCB:Fire Gun: Fires a burst of three bullets from your gun. These are very weak, straight shooting projectiles that only have hitstun against airborne opponents.
  • :GCR::GCB:Baton Rush: A flurry of strikes with the baton similar to Mii Swordfighter's Blurring Blade. Not super practical to use in most cases.
  • :GCU::GCB:Skybound Gladius: An uppercut with the gladius that can be used as an out of shield option in a pinch, but is super unsafe on whiff or shield, and has a pitiful recovery distance.

Down Special:
Call/Dismiss Legion: Summons or dismisses your Legion. Use to manage your Legion meter, and getting the Legion out of bad situations that simply recalling won't avoid.
I like these ideas as a baseline, though I do have some concerns:
  • This seems like Rosalina & Luma, but overtuned.
    • In some ways though, the design seems like it'd be more engaging for both the player and the opponent since maintaining and removing the puppet is less centered around AI quirks.
  • The Legion controls could be a bit too convoluted.
    • The recovery in particular could be a bit wonky, though I don't know how you'd fix that without it similarly being wonky.
      • You could further separate the recovery methods by only having the second method available if the Legion is already by your side (you'd have to use Recall Legion first in order to use it otherwise), but then you'd have an issue where the Legion got launched behind you while your panicking and you send yourself backward, and put yourself in free fall.
      • You could also remove the first function, but that would make me sad.
Yeah, I beat Astral Chain and thought the gameplay was a ton of fun but the combat mechanics would be tricky to translate into Smash. I’m sure they’d find a way to simplify it but I’m not sure the best way while still keeping the general concept and feel of the combat. It gets even more complicated if you start adding all the different kinds of Legions beyond the starting sword Legion. I do like your ideas though and they seem like they’d work well.

If, for some reason, they can’t make the Legion system work for Smash and they still wanted an Astral Chain character, I’d love to see Jenna Anderson instead. I just love her design and her combat isn’t as complex. I’d prefer both Officer Howard and Jenna though.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Gordon is probably the only real contender there.

Has anyone ever brought up Gauntlet in regards to Smash?
"Red Kirby needs food badly!"

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Gordon or an OW are probably the only 2 real contenders there.
What is OW? All I can think of is Overwatch but that’s Blizzard, not Valve. I think Chell has a lot of gameplay potential with her portal gun. It could create warp points that function the same as the Stage Builder warps for a limited time.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Truth the Ceomasterz33 liked a lot of my posts neat!

I do wonder if toy link joins the eternal smol ones with young and toon?
I mean Young and toon link get brought back a lot in diffrent games while adult link is always shuffled!
'I dont know Toy link could fill the big role of 2d Link in a Hyrule warriors 2 or Some other zelda spinoff!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I do wonder if toy link joins the eternal smol ones with young and toon?
I mean Young and toon link get brought back a lot in diffrent games while adult link is always shuffled!
'I dont know Toy link could fill the big role of 2d Link in a Hyrule warriors 2 or Some other zelda spinoff!
Sometimes I wonder who you support that isn’t Toy Link :4pacman:

Top Bottom