• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Even more egregious is using Dark Samus as a counterpoint, when....

People actually REQUESTED Dark Samus. That's why Dark Samus got in. Nobody requested the enemy Octolings, especially at a point we hadn't even had the damn Inklings yet.
I used Dark Samus as a counterpoint because your whole point was that said character was never playable in the first place. I was just pointing out that characters can get in as echoes with no playable roles.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Even more egregious is using Dark Samus as a counterpoint, when....

People actually REQUESTED Dark Samus. That's why Dark Samus got in. Nobody requested the enemy Octolings, especially at a point we hadn't even had the damn Inklings yet.
Off topic but it's insanely funny to me how the two echoes that were noted to have been chosen from the ballot are of the exact same type that the whole fanbase had a meltdown over and took turns hating on in the previous game; a dark, edgy version of a character and an anime swordfighter (Dark Pit and Lucina).

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I used Dark Samus as a counterpoint because your whole point was that said character was never playable in the first place. I was just pointing out that characters can get in as echoes with no playable roles.
No, my point was that the "character" people wanted didn't actually exist yet to BE added as an Echo in Ultimate.

You just completely overlooked it to argue an entirely separate point because somehow a generic enemy nobody requested not being an Echo somehow means the playable characters people actually want won't be one because it "would have already happened".

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
How about a changing stage with different games. (Including the western-developed ones)
I almost never use that and whenever I do, it's usually for Mario reference purposes (Super Mario Bros + Duck Hunt, Mushroom Kingdom and Mushroomy Kingdom, Mushroom Kingdom and Green Hill Zone for Nintendo vs SEGA matches).

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
What a bad comparison, horrible even. Luigi has had differences in his gameplay since SMB2 (Lost Levels and USA)
Luigi was functionally Mario in literally every other game he had appeared in outside of the Mario 2s at the time of Smash 64's release. Even in those entries, he has an incredibly minor difference in how high he jumps across both games and his traction in Lost Levels. He doesn't have any unique moves or anything like that. Even at the time of Ultimate, Luigi is still functionally identical to Mario outside of the sports games and Luigi's Mansion. At best, he's got the USA traits, like in 3-D World. At worst, he's completely interchangeable with Mario, like in Wonder.

Luigi would have still been an echo fighter if we follow the logic that all characters that are functionally identical in their source material will be echoes or alts in Smash. A slightly distinguished echo sure, but that'd really just amount to have worse traction, a higher jump, his unique grab, and his Final Smash. He'd be about as unique as Chrom currently is.
has a totally different personality from Mario... Octolings on the other hand are completely interchangeable with Inklings. 1 to 1.
This is factually untrue. Octolings are pretty consistently as being practical, stoic, and curious in their animations, which makes sense given the fact that they were an underground species with sparser material conditions until recently. This difference also extends to Agents 3 and 8, who are the main playable characters in Splatoon's first story mode and the Octo Expansion respectively.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
No, my point was that the "character" people wanted didn't actually exist yet to BE added as an Echo in Ultimate.

You just completely overlooked it to argue an entirely separate point because somehow a generic enemy nobody requested not being an Echo somehow means the playable characters people actually want won't be one because it "would have already happened".
That's true, but I've admit afterwards that I was wrong because I didn't remember that Octoling were that different from Splatoon 1 to their Splatoon 2 playable introduction. You're acting like I've said the worst thing imaginable to mankind and I've just mis-remember a character design from a side character from a Nintendo game.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So you're saying Smash 6 could be releasing in 2025? That seems a bit too early to me...would 3 years be enough to make a new smash game with updated HD character models, brand new stage roster....etc? I don't think so honestly...i think this game might need and extra year or two of development, specially because they'll want to have as less cut characters as possible with a decent new amount of newcomers.
It depends, but maybe. The one thing about Smash Development Cycles and why they go so smoothly is that They have a project plan that's set up at the beginning, that they rarely deviate from. Smash is also easier in the aspect that as a Crossover fighter, there isn't as much New Design aspects that have to be worked through, since you're using Characters and assets from already existing I.Ps

The one big thing is that the New Smash game is going to be using a New Engine, if you go about the page where it was stated that the Engine Development was being transfered to the S Studio, where it's speculated to be team making Smash. New Engine Development does add years to Development cycles, so that's where the extra years of Development time would be needed

However That engine was already being developed while Smash Ultimate was in it's DLC Development and even after it finished, from 2019-2022. This would give 2023, 2024, and 2025 a Full 3 years focused on the actual game elements

The other thing that could Complicate things is Tekken 8's Development Cycle. When Smash Ultimate DLC was finished, The Crew that was left was sent to Work on Tekken 8. However Development Cycles, even if in Full Scale Development with 100's of people, might involve Contractors and/or Staff from other Teams coming in, and then leaving out when their job is finished

That has seemed to happen with some of the S Studio Team working with the Tekken Team on Tekken 8, but now that Tekken 8 is Complete and in it's DLC Cycle, the opposite could also be true if needed. Of course the Team that makes Tekken also makes other Games for Namco, like Soul Calibur and Ace Combat, but Studio Shifting when need be is common

In any case, I could see the Next Smash releasing in Late 2025, or maybe Early 2026 if Development needs to go longer as was the case with Brawl. The good thing about this Smash 6 Development Cycle is that since the New Engine was made inhouse by Namco themselves, including by Staff that have Programed for the Smash Series itself, as well as the fact that for the 3rd time, the same development team is being re-used for this game, Development should go smoothly. In addition to that, Since the console it would be developed for is Essentially a stronger version of the previous hardware, there might not be as much Hardware limitations at play

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Cadet
I could see Off the Hook being a fun addition conceptually, though I'm not sure what you'd use for their moveset beyond the obvious final smash. I think getting to play as any of the idols would have a lot of appeal to Splatoon fans. Octavio also could make sense, though you'd have to fiddle around with his proportions and design a lot to get it to work. There's certainly a lot you could draw on from his boss fight and the enemies across the single player campaigns, and as a character I think he got a lot more fun in Splatoon 3. Still, I'd say personally none of the Splatoon options strike me as being like, so cool and engaging that I think they have to get in, I'd be perfectly fine just giving the Inklings more customisation and alts next game lol. Just that if they are to add a newcomer, there are some fun avenues you could go down.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
The one big thing is that the New Smash game is going to be using a New Engine, if you go about the page where it was stated that the Engine Development was being transfered to the S Studio, where it's speculated to be team making Smash. New Engine Development does add years to Development cycles, so that's where the extra years of Development time would be needed
Do we even known S Studio is working on Smash? Could be a new engine for another game.

However That engine was already being developed while Smash Ultimate was in it's DLC Development and even after it finished, from 2019-2022. This would give 2023, 2024, and 2025 a Full 3 years focused on the actual game elements
Soure about that?

In any case, I could see the Next Smash releasing in Late 2025, or maybe Early 2026 if Development needs to go longer as was the case with Brawl. The good thing about this Smash 6 Development Cycle is that since the New Engine was made inhouse by Namco themselves, including by Staff that have Programed for the Smash Series itself, as well as the fact that for the 3rd time, the same development team is being re-used for this game, Development should go smoothly. In addition to that, Since the console it would be developed for is Essentially a stronger version of the previous hardware, there might not be as much Hardware limitations at play
It might not goo smootly at all, they'll have to create 50+ character models from the returning character, it's going to be a hard task.

I still think a Ultimate Deluxe is more likely and makes more sense economically and it's what most of the fanbase wants as previously stated, so im stil not fully sold that the next game will be new.
Smash 6 has like a 20% chance of happening, and im begin generous.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Luigi wouldn't have been an Echo, no. He wasn't a costume to begin with either. But more importantly, he was heavily different immediately into Melee.

The only two who became Echoes were Dark Pit and Lucina and only because of their debut timing did it work out. Dr. Mario isn't just "miraculously" still a clone. He started off similar to Mario but got massively changed in 4 to the point they played widely differently. Luigi still plays quite different from Mario even in Smash 64. They shared animations, but were still quite different overall.

Simply being based upon another character was never what made someone an Echo to begin with. The first and most important thing is the same bodyshape. Not "using a previous model to create them". The next is how they play. Their differences aren't supposed to be massive(Ken's isn't even that massive, though borderline. He shares the exact same gameplay mechanic, and it's still noted it's mostly a conscious decision and if anything, is a bad example of what a general Echo would be). Chrom is really the best example of what we would normally get otherwise, at its peak, if we're not putting in really heavy oddities. Ken's an outlier. Daisy is too, as other ones have less arbitrary differences. Richter is a perfect example of "being reasonably similar, but having a notable difference", which applies more to the rest.

We also don't have much details either. One thing of note appears to be "same weight", but this is a coincidence(and if it holds remotely true, it's still a funny coincidence that Dr. Mario was a different weight from Mario at least once. Obviously this wouldn't be why he's not an Echo) at best and not actually told to us by Sakurai, but by Reggie. His is more of an observation. What we do know is that if moves become way too OOC(like with Isabelle, though do note she couldn't clear the "same bodyshape" criteria either), the idea can become scrapped.

Something else of note should be about a great example of one who may not have really been an Echo either; Pikmin & Alph. Unless the Pikmin(all of them) play and are the same bodyshape(or super close to, as Sakurai may make exceptions), they wouldn't be an actual Echo. But a regular Clone. If it was just Rock Pikmin, this could make sense. But if any others were used, the Echo label wouldn't work very well. The thing to truly remember is that the Pikmin and the Captain are the entire set of characters, not just the Captain. While it does seem arbitrary to why, this is actually counting how it works. The Pikmin are not actually accessories or summons. They're literally a part of the full character. It's like saying Kazooie isn't part of it, or Luma for that matter. Or even Nana, heh. Yes, they're part of it. So depending how Sakurai did it, Pikmin & Alph were probably not going to be given the Echo label to begin with. We also don't know if they were considered playable before or after becoming a costume. Just like Lucina, he was resized a bit to fit the costume. Unlike Lucina, the timing isn't clear to us. He might've been considered playable before becoming a costume, after all.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Even at the time of Ultimate, Luigi is still functionally identical to Mario outside of the sports games and Luigi's Mansion. At best, he's got the USA traits, like in 3-D World. At worst, he's completely interchangeable with Mario, like in Wonder
In defense here, what Luigi has now that he didn't before is an intensely strong, dynamic personality. If we look at Luigi's moveset, it is fundamentally exactly what Mario is doing, or what he used to do. But throughout all these years, it's been "Luigified". His goofy, cowardly behavior is the basis for how he's deviated from Mario as he grew into a further cemented character of his own. But he's still throwing fireballs, doing the Super Jump Punch and has maintained the old Mario Tornado. They operate very differently, but he's still kinda Mario right? Just doing Mario stuff like Luigi would.

So I'm still not sure if this is the best example to double down on, simply because Octolings like... do have subtle differences in their personality, but how much would that influence their combat? Their idles vary but they shoot their gun the same way. The Mario characters are cartoonish, they're all about as exaggerated and in your face about their personalities as they can be. In say, the Mario & Luigi games, the two of them are doing the same moves but with their own identity shining through. I've always interpreted Smash Luigi to be closest to this version, because it's a mirror of about the most caricatured version of Luigi possible. And truly, Luigi's Mansion is no small factor either. Brawl had a whole new outlook on the character no doubt because of that single appearance.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Day 224: "Still no Nintendo Direct news. Still no news of the newest Nintendo console. The crew has slowly become more and more stressed and bitter. Arguing and low-key mockery have started becoming more common spread between crewmates. I fear with time that all the frustration and tension slowly filling from speculation and debating will burst and break out among us before we see a glimpse of news."
---
Really hope that after the Indie world stuff, we get a Nintendo Direct date soon. It might give us a break from repeating the same topics and speculations over and over again.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Every time somebody argues that an OCC (Obvious Clone Candidate) should be unique just because they could be, I get flashbacks to my 2015 days of arguing Daisy should absolutely be a completely unique fighter because she... because... well. Looking back, there really was no reason. Childhood cringe, man. It makes me chuckle. And die a little inside.

I also remember the tremendous (and commendable tbh) efforts of the Dark Samus fanbase to prove to people that she could be a completely unique fighter... they were proven wrong in the long run but they put up a good fight at least. Certainly better than the Daisy stans.

Anyways, Octoling. Obviously they'll "suffer" the same fate. They're a perfect Dark Pit situation. Idk how they'd find another 8 ink colors that are distinct enough but oh well.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Day 224: "Still no Nintendo Direct news. Still no news of the newest Nintendo console. The crew has slowly become more and more stressed and bitter. Arguing and low-key mockery have started becoming more common spread between crewmates. I fear with time that all the frustration and tension slowly filling from speculation and debating will burst and break out among us before we see a glimpse of news."
---
Really hope that after the Indie world stuff, we get a Nintendo Direct date soon. It might give us a break from repeating the same topics and speculations over and over again.
Are you thinking that an Nintendo Direct will be announced next month?

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Cadet
I would imagine the next Smash game is in pre-production right now, probably started a bit before Studio S formed. I don't think Sakurai's youtube videos are like so intensive and time consuming it would interfere with pre-production duties, and he's begun winding down anyways. I don't see the next Smash game coming out until at least 2026, though I definitely could be wrong there. I'm definitely gonna miss his youtube channel though, a lot of his topics are pretty interesting even if he's deliberately going for a more surface-level introductory explanation a lot of the time. His graphics videos echoes a point that I feel really tends to get overlooked in online discussions of the topic.

One of the more exciting things is the prospect that Studio S being formalised as a proper internal development team as opposed to being largely an assortment of devs who work on TEKKEN Project is the idea that post-launch updates could be a lot more consistent. Ultimate's DLC skeleton team disassembled pretty quickly after Sora dropped according to Harada's tweets at the time, which meant not many patches afterwards. Would be nice to get more consistent patches across a broader period of time for sure, definitely have to see how it works out though.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I still think a Ultimate Deluxe is more likely and makes more sense economically and it's what most of the fanbase wants as previously stated, so im stil not fully sold that the next game will be new.
These generalizations drive me crazy. "It's what most of the fanbase wants" did you ask everybody? Did you do a survey...? Like this level of confidence in what you're saying has to be fueled by some sort of statistic or evidence. There's a huge amount of people who don't want "Ultimate 2".

A port isn't likely because re-licensing every single third party character is crazy. Moreover, the install base of the next console will be much smaller than the Switch's, and if the reports/leaks are anything to go by, backwards compatibility will render Ultimate a playable Switch 2 game on day ONE. A port would not only be frowned upon by the fanbase as an obvious copout, it'd also be a financially stupid decision.

I'm not holding my breath for anything because it's way too early and Nintendo has surprised us both positively and negatively before but right now I'm just gonna say that Smash will probably keep doing what it always does.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
These generalizations drive me crazy. "It's what most of the fanbase wants" did you ask everybody? Did you do a survey...? Like this level of confidence in what you're saying has to be fueled by some sort of statistic or evidence. There's a huge amount of people who don't want "Ultimate 2".

A port isn't likely because re-licensing every single third party character is crazy. Moreover, the install base of the next console will be much smaller than the Switch's, and if the reports/leaks are anything to go by, backwards compatibility will render Ultimate a playable Switch 2 game on day ONE. A port would not only be frowned upon by the fanbase as an obvious copout, it'd also be a financially stupid decision.

I'm not holding my breath for anything because it's way too early and Nintendo has surprised us both positively and negatively before but right now I'm just gonna say that Smash will probably keep doing what it always does.
And I am one of those who do not want an Ultimate Deluxe.

Plus, when you compare it to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, an Ultimate Deluxe would not be made for the same reasons. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was a based on a game for a dying console, while Ultimate is its own thing.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Are you thinking that an Nintendo Direct will be announced next month?
Maybe May. June is a definite if we get nothing then. But it's like...aside from the Partner showcase, our last non-Partner Nintendo Direct was September. It feels like it's been forever since the last main Nintendo Direct. And we still don't know what and when they're going to do Switch 2 news.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Maybe May. June is a definite if we get nothing then. But it's like...aside from the Partner showcase, our last non-Partner Nintendo Direct was September. It feels like it's been forever since the last main Nintendo Direct. And we still don't know what and when they're going to do Switch 2 news.
Yeah, I was thinking June.

Still, it has been a while, has it not? I wonder if they would show the Switch 2 in the Direct?

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Off topic but it's insanely funny to me how the two echoes that were noted to have been chosen from the ballot are of the exact same type that the whole fanbase had a meltdown over and took turns hating on in the previous game; a dark, edgy version of a character and an anime swordfighter (Dark Pit and Lucina).
Lucina didn't really get much hate as far as I remember.

Dark Pit definitely did though. Probably THE most hated character of all time until Corrin showed up.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm thinking we'll go crazy and eat each other first :217:
Yeah, that's nice. Still, while I am not saying you should not have said anything, this would kinda be better if I was talking to you. Again, I mean no harm, and you did not have to not speak at all, so no offense.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
And I am one of those who do not want an Ultimate Deluxe.

Plus, when you compare it to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, an Ultimate Deluxe would not be made for the same reasons. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was a based on a game for a dying console, while Ultimate is its own thing.
Exactly. The stars were aligning perfectly for a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to happen. The original game was two and a half years old when the Switch was first announced. It was on a dead console that most people didn't own or even know about. And perhaps most importantly, it had obvious flaws and lacking content that could be perfectly remedied and would make for great marketing material for a port; namely the expanded roster and actual battle mode tracks.

Smash Ultimate doesn't have the same issues. It's an early Switch game that people have been playing for more than five years at this point. A lot of people own the Switch (more than 130M if I recall correctly) and Smash Ultimate is a top seller at ~35M sales. Ultimate has already made its impact is what I'm saying. It's largely viewed as a "complete" game that had extensive DLC and is just huge in general. Adding a few more characters and stages to it isn't gonna do much for a port. They should just call it quits (which Sakurai did btw) and focus on a brand new experience.

Lucina didn't really get much hate as far as I remember.

Dark Pit definitely did though. Probably THE most hated character of all time until Corrin showed up.
Really? I remember Lucina got a fair share of backlash. Especially on reveal. I wasn't around much because I was young but I do recall seeing a lot of people bashing her for being unoriginal (almost as if that's the point). I do think the Lucina hate was somewhat constrained because Sakurai explained to the man children what clones are soon after her reveal.

Then came Dark Pit. I remember the era when he was the punching bag for almost all Smash related content creators on several platforms lol. And a lot of people raging at him during the ESRB leak. It didn't get much better afterwards. Probably would've never gotten better if Ultimate didn't bring everyone back and introduce echoes.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I'm thinking we'll go crazy and eat each other first :217:
Completely unrelated question, but what's your favorite condiment, by chance?

Again, completely unrelated.

Really? I remember Lucina got a fair share of backlash. Especially on reveal. I wasn't around much because I was young but I do recall seeing a lot of people bashing her for being unoriginal (almost as if that's the point). I do think the Lucina hate was somewhat constrained because Sakurai explained to the man children what clones are soon after her reveal.

Then came Dark Pit. I remember the era when he was the punching bag for almost all Smash related content creators on several platforms lol. And a lot of people raging at him during the ESRB leak. It didn't get much better afterwards. Probably would've never gotten better if Ultimate didn't bring everyone back and introduce echoes.
The only thing I remember people having a problem with Lucina over was being a fourth Fire Emblem character in one game (kind of a recurring thing if anyone's noticed :V), though it wasn't AS toxic when it came to Lucina because she was only #4.

There may have been some of the clone issue too, but like you said, it was constrained to the point I don't even remember it being a thing, at least compared to the genesis of the "too much Fire Emblem".

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Do we even known S Studio is working on Smash? Could be a new engine for another game.

Soure about that?

It might not goo smootly at all, they'll have to create 50+ character models from the returning character, it's going to be a hard task.

Here's a source about the engine

バンダイナムコスタジオが「オープンワールドも作れる」内製ゲームエンジンを本気で制作中、開発者募集。開発経緯や求める人材について訊いた - AUTOMATON (automaton-media.com)

--Specifically, when did you start developing the game engine?

Horiuchi:
I think the development was decided around 2018. The plan was to first prepare only the runtime in the form of a game framework, and develop the tools when there was time. That's when I volunteered. However, at the time, development overlapped with the development of other large games, so development was at a slow pace. After that, several people carried out concept verification of the game engine, and full-scale development began around 2019 based on this prototyping.
There's more details in this article, like how Development needed to be revised in 2020, but in terms of Development cycle, it has been planned since 2018, with Full Scale Development starting in 2019 and was set to finish sometime in about a year, give or take, from when this article was Published (February 2022)

As for whether Studio S is working on Smash, While it's not confirmed, the Job Listing for the game Studio S is working on is for a "2D Action game" while the game Studio 2 is working on is for a "3D Action game". That 3D Action game also had listed remastering assets as well as using unreal engine

ENTRY | Studio 2/Studio S | バンダイナムコスタジオ (archive.org)

株式会社バンダイナムコスタジオ (archive.org)

Along with that, According to people on Famiboards, the people credited in Studio S were people that have worked on Smash in the past, which was not the case with Studio 2

Bandai Namco’s new Studio 2/Studio S (internal teams that work on Nintendo games) had job listings for a 2D and a 3D action game : r/GamingLeaksAndRumours (reddit.com)

In any case, I think things point towards a New Game specifically rather than Ultimate Deluxe. Now whether assets will be re-used to allow for Easier development, I'm pretty sure that will happen. Tekken 8 still is using Assets from over 25 years ago despite the game still being built from the ground up in Unreal Engine 5 and all the Touch up to the models and animations of the characters

But I don't think it would be a Straight Ultimate Deluxe however. I think when Sakurai said Ultimate was finished, he meant it

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah, that's nice. Still, while I am not saying you should not have said anything, this would kinda be better if I was talking to you. Again, I mean no harm, and you did not have to not speak at all, so no offense.
shocktrio.png

Without question the weirdest most backhanded way I've ever been told to shut the **** up

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
View attachment 388136

Without question the weirdest most backhanded way I've ever been told to shut the **** up
That was unintentional, if I was even trying to do that!

I was just saying that joke was not-so-effective to me, and may have been unexpected and out of the blue.

Sorry if it seemed like I was trying to tell you to shut up, even though I was not.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I’m always gonna internally plead for the next Smash game to have a color editor and an option to freely play any song on any stage, but alas…copyright.
As somebody who also has always wanted a color editor, I figured you could just have restrictions on certain characters to appease IP holders. For example, rather than getting a hue/saturation/lightness/shininess menu for Pikachu's body, you'd have to pick between a curated assortment of shades of yellow. Sure, that's a bummer for us, but it'd be necessary compromise. And if a copyright holder outright opposed the entire idea, you could just... disable color changing for that character. Again, a bummer, but it be like that sometimes.

I always figured this sort of skin editing could co-exist in the same general menu as custom moves and equipment were that to return. But maybe the color customization would have to be unlocked per-character; like, clear classic on the hardest difficulty to unlock the ability to customize colors for that character.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
How many times are you going to have to be told that MK8 Deluxe could only be one of the best selling games of all time because the original MK8 couldn't?

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
How many times are you going to have to be told that MK8 Deluxe could only be one of the best selling games of all time because the original MK8 couldn't?
I need to play devil's advocate here: I don't think it's a good idea to specifically use the underselling of the Wii U to justify Deluxe's main selling point. MK8 did well on its own platform, for all that meant at the time.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I understand doing things like giving Pikachu hats if they feel that the character's electric affinity isn't communicated clearly enough if you remove the yellow, but the stance of "Pikachu should never be any color other than yellow for any reason" doesn't make sense. "Cloud and Sephiroth shouldn't ever wear saturated colors" makes even less sense.

It doesn't have to make sense for it to be a reality, but it is mildly infuriating. Sephiroth especially, you can barely tell those pallet swaps apart.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I need to play devil's advocate here: I don't think it's a good idea to specifically use the underselling of the Wii U to justify Deluxe's main selling point. MK8 did well on its own platform, for all that meant at the time.
So far it's done better, when adjusting for install base.
Mario Kart 8 sold 62% of the Wii U install base.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, thus far, has sold 43% of the Nintendo Switch's install base.

I don't actually think this changes the fact that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was in a uniquely good position (if anything it makes that even clearer,) but it's worth noting.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Well yeah, it did sell as well as a Wii U game could. But either way, the Wii U's lack of popularity meant that a lot of people didn't get to play MK8 until the Switch.
That's not supposed to be the main argument as to why it sold. It should be a testament to the quality of the game itself, which for the most part is and was always pretty high.

Top Bottom