• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I don’t get why Sakurai would say Nintendo decided all the DLC fighters and not mean it, who gains anything from that? People say Sakurai totally chose Terry and Joker himself, but I think Nintendo chose them as a means to strengthen partnerships with SNK and Atlus, among other reasons.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don’t get why Sakurai would say Nintendo decided all the DLC fighters and not mean it, who gains anything from that? People say Sakurai totally chose Terry and Joker himself, but I think Nintendo chose them as a means to strengthen partnerships with SNK and Atlus, among other reasons.
Yeah, people operate on the assumption that Nintendo and Sakurai’s interests can’t coincidentally align. Sakurai loves SNK, but also… SNK has a few dozen classic NeoGeo titles available to purchase on the eshop. And they’re a long standing Japanese company with a storied history, iconic characters and IPs, not to mention being notoriously generous with their collaborations.

By all means, Terry could have been Sakurai’s favorite character to work with and still makes sense in the parameters of Nintendo’s own business interests.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
But Inklings and Octolings are functionally identical in Splatoon. It also doesn't help that they look way too similar.
which is why my brain is hard wired to think of them as echoes
By this logic, Luigi should have never lost his Smash 64 moveset and should be classified as an echo in Ultimate.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
By this logic, Luigi should have never lost his Smash 64 moveset and should be classified as an echo in Ultimate.
I mean echo fighters weren’t a thing back then, I don’t know about Luigi, but there are several clones that easily could have ended up as echo fighters if they were newly added to Ultimate like Dr. Mario, Lucas and Wolf.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
it’s not logic it’s more of a gut feeling
That's fair. I do think Octolings are one of the more slept-on newcomers choices though. Splatoon is incredibly popular, but its Smash representation already feels very outdated. Octolings provide a very logical way to add elements from Splatoon 2 and 3 to a character without changing Inkling. It reminds me a lot of Animal Crossing and Isabelle going into Ultimate.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
That's...not true at all? Tons of courses in the later waves have functioning half-pipes and newly added anti-grav and underwater sections. But, nice try I guess.
Mario Kart 8's engine is not made for half-pipes, so there's a lot of them that don't have good camera angles when you're going on them. The camera doesn't adapt to your movements like in Wii, so it just feels shoehorned in. Heck, there are some instances of pure track where the camera is awful, most notably the long turn on Rosalina's Ice World where you can't see anything if you so much as graze against the steeper part of the incline.

If a course has an underwater section, it was there in Tour (even if it wasn't accessible in Tour, and this only applies to a total of two small segments of city courses anyway). If a course has antigrav, it's either shoehorned into a section that doesn't need it (parts of the track where it's already flat anyhow), or applied to an entire course just because (Sky-High Sundae and Rainbow Road). I can count the BCP courses that make actually good use of antigrav on one hand.

A typical usage of anti-gravity between the BCP and Base 8 are objectively are not on the same level.

Even ignoring the mechanical issues, a solid half of the BCP ignores Base 8's artistic direction anyways, and the other half only kind of gets close. The comparison is night and day.

1713470073553.png
1713470265156.png

Smash is the best-case scenario of Everything is Here because it has Sakurai as the director, a man who practically puts himself on Death's Door trying to make his games the best they can be. The concept can easily be floundered if given to a team that does not care as much, and MK8 isn't even going for Everytrack is Here to begin with.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
On the topic of Octoling echo, I feel like if for Sakurai they where echo worthy... it would have already happened. I mean, we literally got Simon and Richter in base game, so it wouldn't have been weird to get Inkling + Octoling in the same game, but it didn't happen.

Now that I think about it, the Moon AT might have been influenced by the Ballot. It has to have been the most commonly requested final smash in that little suggestion box. I can't think of many other characters with such a no-brainer final smash.
But it's not the same thing without the HYYYAAAAAHAAAAHHHHAHHH :'(
Yeah I'm pretty sure a lot of Assist trophies were chosen based on the ballot, not just the fighters. My guess is that Krystal, Zero, Alucard, Bomberman, Shovel knight and Knuckles were probably fairly high, and Rathalos might have been add because Monster hunter was pretty requested too.

Yeah Atlus was easily one of the biggest 3ds supporters, so it's really not weird that Nintendo would give them a character.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Yeah, people operate on the assumption that Nintendo and Sakurai’s interests can’t coincidentally align. Sakurai loves SNK, but also… SNK has a few dozen classic NeoGeo titles available to purchase on the eshop. And they’re a long standing Japanese company with a storied history, iconic characters and IPs, not to mention being notoriously generous with their collaborations.

By all means, Terry could have been Sakurai’s favorite character to work with and still makes sense in the parameters of Nintendo’s own business interests.
I've been mulling over this lately, and I think it's brought to light something I've felt for almost as long as Terry released - the whole "Sakurai bias" thing people do to justify his inclusion feels kind of dismissive of him, doesn't it? Like, there's absolutely no denying Sakurai's love for SNK, the man was clearly beaming with enthusiasm to do a loredump on their history - and I'm not even denying that that might've played a part in his inclusion - but whenever people try to explain his inclusion, 90% of the time it is immediately and solely pared down to "Sakurai bias". And when you approach things that way, I think it sends a message, intentionally or not, that his only merit is that Sakurai Liked Him (tm). Like that's the only reason he could ever have been picked, and it's the only way his inclusion makes sense. It reads like an attempt to rationalize the inclusion of a character you're not familiar with, and it never sat right with me. SNK and Terry have plenty of genuine merit and credentials to be included, even from a Nintendo perspective, and constantly pegging it as just "Sakurai bias", no matter how well-intentioned, comes across as very reductive, not only to SNK themselves, but to the character selection process itself. Hell, I feel like even I wound up unintentionally contributing to this with my diatribes on Sakurai's ties to the JP arcade scene

Louie G.

Smash Hero
But this is different, right? Luigi demonstrated meaningful gameplay differences from Mario as early as SMB2. They didn't stick around for every game, but the seeds were planted. The two are also designed very deliberately to accentuate silhouette differences. One is short, one is tall. By the time Smash 64 rolled out, this was well established. And while it wasn't as set in stone just yet, the two had distinct personalities that differentiated each other as characters. After Melee, Luigi's Mansion came out and past that point there was no debate to be had about it. These two were night and day and only grew further apart.

Inkling and Octoling are functionally the same in-game and nothing has been established to contradict this yet. Design-wise, their main difference is hairstyle. Silhouettes are largely the same, personalities are demonstrated solely through different idle animations because they are silent / avatar protagonists. And yeah, we can totally give them different weapons. I would like it if we did. But I don't think it's fair to pretend this is equivalent to Mario and Luigi, because it's just not. If we were to abide by that comparison though, Octoling would be added as a clone and slowly chipped away at as Splatoon further evolves them.

On the topic of Octoling echo, I feel like if for Sakurai they where echo worthy... it would have already happened. I mean, we literally got Simon and Richter in base game, so it wouldn't have been weird to get Inkling + Octoling in the same game, but it didn't happen.
In fairness, Splatoon 2 already wasn't out long enough to have too meaningful an influence on the game. And Octolings were promoted to being playable options after the Octo Expansion DLC... which had released the same year Smash Ultimate did. It wouldn't have been very practical for them to respond to this in that short a period of time, since that was Octoling's big breakout evolution to a playable role that made them such a no-brainer in the first place.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I've been mulling over this lately, and I think it's brought to light something I've felt for almost as long as Terry released - the whole "Sakurai bias" thing people do to justify his inclusion feels kind of dismissive of him, doesn't it? Like, there's absolutely no denying Sakurai's love for SNK, the man was clearly beaming with enthusiasm to do a loredump on their history - and I'm not even denying that that might've played a part in his inclusion - but whenever people try to explain his inclusion, 90% of the time it is immediately and solely pared down to "Sakurai bias". And when you approach things that way, I think it sends a message, intentionally or not, that his only merit is that Sakurai Liked Him (tm). Like that's the only reason he could ever have been picked, and it's the only way his inclusion makes sense. It reads like an attempt to rationalize the inclusion of a character you're not familiar with, and it never sat right with me. SNK and Terry have plenty of genuine merit and credentials to be included, even from a Nintendo perspective, and constantly pegging it as just "Sakurai bias", no matter how well-intentioned, comes across as very reductive, not only to SNK themselves, but to the character selection process itself. Hell, I feel like even I wound up unintentionally contributing to this with my diatribes on Sakurai's ties to the JP arcade scene
I mean if nothing else, Fatal Fury/King of Fights technically invented the concept of a crossover fighting game. Even if SNK's games weren't quality and they didn't put out a notable console like the Neo Geo, that fact alone is worth something.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I have a question - what is the weirdest reason you have for wanting a character in Smash?

For me it’s Cranky Kong. I don’t believe DK is desperate for more characters and I find Dixie and Funky to have just as much merit and moveset potential. However, I really want an old man in Smash. The wise/cooky elder responsible for teaching many of the protagonists. 70+ years old but can still rock with the best of them. It’s such a classic trope that I always love. Master Roshi, General Iroh, etc.

It’s super common in fighting games, too. Tung Fu Rue in KoF, Gouken in SF, Bo Rai Cho in MK. It’s the main reason I’m a wee bit salty that we missed out on Heihachi in Smash.

Cranky Kong is the perfect Nintendo character to fill this archetype. Both in the context of his character and design, but even in the context of his role in Nintendo history.
Retro-ness.

I don't mean just NES retro-ness but any kind of old school retro-ness.

I just like to see all the NES characters appear in a stage from that era (such as Mushroom Kingdom, Duck Hunt, and Balloon Fight) while also thinking about my favorite games that they appeared in during that time. Having the Famicom Medley just makes it even better. There's still some more to come too.

Then there's also the fun in having characters on the Green Hill Zone stage, which comes from a game on the Sega Genesis console. A console that Nintendo was never involved with and a lot of third-party series (such as Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest) weren't either. Yet, here we are, years later, seeing these characters appearing in a Sega Genesis-style stage.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I have a question for people who want Octoling. Assuming Octolings spray out ink like Inklings do what would their alternate colors be? You need all the ink colors to be unique as to differentiate each character which would require 16 unique colors, so what would those 8 new ones be?
I don't know. They might have to make the Octolings just alts for the Inklings instead of their own fighters.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
While the Octolings as fighters would obviously use Inkling as a skeleton to make animating them easier, they can still be a unique fighter in their own right. Delzethin's video on the Octolings provides a pretty good take on making them unique.
No one said they can't be different from Inklings. We just said it's very likely that they won't be. They could very well be unique fighters, you know, just like Daisy, Dark Samus, Chrom, etc could.

Octoling is an easy echo, but that's on top of being the next most important character in Splatoon.
"Octoling" isn't a unique character though, they're the second option for the player character. Just like Luigi was... and look how he ended up in his Smash debut.

Interchangeable characters like the Mario Bros, the Pikmin captains, heck even the Koopalings, always end up as derivatives of some kind.

Bringing up an older villain... Skull Kid.
There's not much that hasn't been already said about this character, but I've noticed something interesting in the main Zelda subreddit, which is: Botw and TotK are the most talked about games, of course, but Majora's Mask is a not so distant third. From what I've seen, it gets as much talk as the other older Zeldas combined. Theories, advices, fan art and easter eggs are still shared like the game isn't more than 20 years old and even relatively small. WTF.
I know the Zelda subreddit is a relatively niche audience, but this speaks to the game's staying power.

I'm sure that Nintendo would prioritize a character from the newer Zeldas, but I feel like Skull Kid/Majora would also kinda be a slam dunk.
Pretty sure Ocarina of Time is the third most talked about game. YouTube is full of video essay retrospectives about the game, and they actually do numbers. It's also the breaking point of the series arguably.

Majora's Mask is still great and a very beloved game, but I still think there's a few games that spark more conversation.

Also helps that the mask is probably the most iconic object in the entire series after the triforce.
Master Sword, Hylian Shield, Rupees... yeah no.

My take when it comes to deciding if a character should be clone or not is that there should be a focus on adding unique characters who can’t realistically be a clone, and characters who can be a clone probably should. It would be cool if every fighter was unique, but that’s not realistic.
This! Imagine if Smash 64 prioritized a unique Luigi and we ended up missing out on Ness or something. Or if Lucina was made unique at the cost of Robin. No thanks. If somebody can realistically and fittingly be a clone... it's a sign that they just should be. Ganondorf (and any cross-series clone, sorry Captain Blaziken fans) is the obvious exception before anyone mentions it.
What a bad comparison, horrible even. Luigi has had differences in his gameplay since SMB2 (Lost Levels and USA), has a totally different personality from Mario and even got his own series post-Melee. Octolings on the other hand are completely interchangeable with Inklings. 1 to 1.
Mario Kart 8's engine is not made for half-pipes, so there's a lot of them that don't have good camera angles when you're going on them. The camera doesn't adapt to your movements like in Wii, so it just feels shoehorned in. Heck, there are some instances of pure track where the camera is awful, most notably the long turn on Rosalina's Ice World where you can't see anything if you so much as graze against the steeper part of the incline.

If a course has an underwater section, it was there in Tour (even if it wasn't accessible in Tour, and this only applies to a total of two small segments of city courses anyway). If a course has antigrav, it's either shoehorned into a section that doesn't need it (parts of the track where it's already flat anyhow), or applied to an entire course just because (Sky-High Sundae and Rainbow Road). I can count the BCP courses that make actually good use of antigrav on one hand.

A typical usage of anti-gravity between the BCP and Base 8 are objectively are not on the same level.

Even ignoring the mechanical issues, a solid half of the BCP ignores Base 8's artistic direction anyways, and the other half only kind of gets close. The comparison is night and day.

View attachment 388118View attachment 388120

Smash is the best-case scenario of Everything is Here because it has Sakurai as the director, a man who practically puts himself on Death's Door trying to make his games the best they can be. The concept can easily be floundered if given to a team that does not care as much, and MK8 isn't even going for Everytrack is Here to begin with.
I will always live for BCP shade. Whack her again for me!

It's fun to play at least, but sinfully ugly and lazy. Some courses are outright nerfed to the point I would rather not have them at all (Coconut Mall, Sky Garden, Sunset Wilds etc). Great analysis on the horrid camera angles, I didn't know it was because of 8's engine. And OMG finally someone talks about the forced antigrav!
All the Splatoon content in SSBU is based on the first game, in which Octolings are not playable.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Time for a history lesson.
Ultimate's design document was finalized on 12/15/15, when the Final Smash Presentation for Wii U/3DS dropped.

The roster was locked in at that point with the sole exception of :ultincineroar: , who was decided later to fill a reserved "New Pokémon" spot.

Splatoon 2 wouldn't drop until 7/21/17. And the update to add Octolings as playable characters wouldn't happen until 6/14/18.

The "it would’ve happened already" excuse doesn't fly here.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
You know with how the roster and dlc was decided how do you think the mii costumes were decided?

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Cadet
I think there's not really a ton to dig into with the Octoling argument because there's not a lot of significant precedent for how they'd be added, and they can feasibly work in any form just fine. Isabelle is the closest, and Sakurai has mentioned she was designed from the ground-up as an original character, with her similarities to Villager just naturally coming in to play due to Animal Crossing only having so much moveset material to work with. I'm sure getting to reuse animations helped though. Still, Isabelle is a distinct character and is not literally an alternate playable option like the Octolings are, so I still wouldn't say that's a one-to-one scenario.

All that said, if I had to guess, I would expect them to at least be a semi-clone. Splatoon is just massive, and if Isabelle could get in on her own merits of popularity and appeal with a largely original moveset despite a similar design concept, I think the Octolings very much could as well. Splatoon has had two entirely new mainline games since Sakurai finalised Ultimate's project plan and keeps getting bigger with more and more fans, from that angle I think the appeal of having a Splatoon newcomer advertised as a full fighter with their own CGI trailer in a Nintendo Direct is very evident. The difference in promotion an echo fighter gets as opposed to a full-fledged newcomer speaks for itself. And of course, there's plenty of material to use for a moveset, though nobody is really contesting that.

Personally speaking I wouldn't mind too much either way, since as mentioned I think the Octolings work in any form. Splatoon does have a lot of fun weapons in the more recent entries you could use though, and I can see how that could make for a fun and striking character. The Inklings are already quite fun to play as a bait-and-punish character with some rushdown elements, which is sort of naturally an exciting playstyle, and a spin on that idea from a different perspective could be pretty cool.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Then there's also the fun in having characters on the Green Hill Zone stage, which comes from a game on the Sega Genesis console. A console that Nintendo was never involved with and a lot of third-party series (such as Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest) weren't either. Yet, here we are, years later, seeing these characters appearing in a Sega Genesis-style stage.
How about a changing stage with different games. (Including the western-developed ones)

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know with how the roster and dlc was decided how do you think the mii costumes were decided?
Probably on the same basis why some Assist Trophies were made Assists. Popular or Notable Characters that couldn't be made Playable characters for whatever reason

On that note, I do think it was interesting that Bethesda had pretty much all 3 of it's notable characters (Vault Boy, Dovakhin, and Doomguy) all get Mii'd, as well as Ubisoft having 2 of it's notable franchises in Assassin's Creed and Rabbids get mii'd.

On Mii Costumes, I think the most interesting Omissions from the Mii Costumes are Shovel Knight, Rayman, and Alucard. Shovel Knight, Rayman, and Alucard all were present in the base game in some form, with 2 of these being Assist Trophies. It's also the fact that some of their contemporary characters (Rabbids and Atlair for Rayman, Sans/Shanate/Cuphead for Shovel Knight, and Bomberman for Alucard). and in the case of Rayman, the Creeper and Pig Costumes do showcase detached limbs can work for Costumes as well

I'd also add Phoenix Wright since I have to imagine Phoenix was a popular character on the Ballot, but he'd end up having no sort of presence in the game, unlike other Capcom I.Ps and characters

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
with her similarities to Villager just naturally coming in to play due to Animal Crossing only having so much moveset material to work with
Utterly untrue, Sakurai showed some excerpts of the SSBU project plan in a YouTube video and Isabelle was slated to be a derivative of Villager from the start. Here's the video: https://youtu.be/2Iiu1k16Ukc?si=B_MGWx4ok7K0qhrK

And Isabelle just isn't comparable to Octoling at all lol.

Last edited:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Cadet
Utterly untrue, Sakurai showed some excerpts of the SSBU project plan in a YouTube video and Isabelle was slated to be a derivative of Villager from the start. Here's the video: https://youtu.be/2Iiu1k16Ukc?si=B_MGWx4ok7K0qhrK

And Isabelle just isn't comparable to Octoling at all lol.
In the video you're talking about, the project plan revision he shows is dated to November 1st, 2016, with its first revision on December 16th, 2015, which Sakurai has also ofc talked about a bunch elsewhere. Given he mentions in the Nintendo Dream interview that Isabelle was designed from the ground up to be an original character, it makes sense to me that that's how she was proposed initially, and as she was designed, she became a variation on Villager naturally. That's basically what Sakurai says in the interview directly. The project plan would naturally be revised to reflect that, it's a whole year gap and we know Sakurai generally comes up with movesets fairly early based on how he talked about Chrom.

7NATOR

Smash Master
When do you guys think Smash 6 will enter develovement?
I think the Full game production already started some time in 2022 (Mid-to Late). Probably around the same time that Sakurai started his Youtube Channel and (according to rumors) when Switch 2 Devkits started getting sent out

Which would make it so that Smash has the full 3 Years of Development it usually does

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
All the Splatoon content in SSBU is based on the first game, in which Octolings are not playable.
Time for a history lesson.
Ultimate's design document was finalized on 12/15/15, when the Final Smash Presentation for Wii U/3DS dropped.

The roster was locked in at that point with the sole exception of :ultincineroar: , who was decided later to fill a reserved "New Pokémon" spot.

Splatoon 2 wouldn't drop until 7/21/17. And the update to add Octolings as playable characters wouldn't happen until 6/14/18.

The "it would’ve happened already" excuse doesn't fly here.
I know they're not playable, but the character exists so what's the point? Dark Samus was never playbale and she's echo, so Octoling could have easily been one too based on their antagonistic role.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
In the video you're talking about, the project plan revision he shows is dated to November 1st, 2016, with its first revision on December 16th, 2015, which Sakurai has also ofc talked about a bunch elsewhere. Given he mentions in the Nintendo Dream interview that Isabelle was designed from the ground up to be an original character, it makes sense to me that that's how she was proposed initially, and as she was designed, she became a variation on Villager naturally. That's basically what Sakurai says in the interview directly. The project plan would naturally be revised to reflect that, it's a whole year gap and we know Sakurai generally comes up with movesets fairly early based on how he talked about Chrom.
I searched for the interview you're talking about and didn't find anything relating to Isabelle being built completely from the ground up and the similarities coming up naturally. Seems like that's just you theorizing. And the theory is weak because we have evidence of Sakurai slating her as a variation of Villager pretty early on.

There's no point in even discussing this though, because Octoling is a much different case.

I know they're not playable, but the character exists so what's the point? Dark Samus was never playbale and she's echo, so Octoling could have easily been one too based on their antagonistic role.
Dunno if you've ever played Splatoon (seems like you haven't) but Splatoon 1's Octolings and 2/3's Playable Octolings are much different. It's night and day really.

And the latter version is the one people want in Smash, so... moot point.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Dunno if you've ever played Splatoon (seems like you haven't) but Splatoon 1's Octolings and 2/3's Playable Octolings are much different. It's night and day really.

I've played every Splatoon games, genuinely didn't remember Octoling were very different in 1.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I think the Full game production already started some time in 2022 (Mid-to Late). Probably around the same time that Sakurai started his Youtube Channel and (according to rumors) when Switch 2 Devkits started getting sent out

Which would make it so that Smash has the full 3 Years of Development it usually does
So you're saying Smash 6 could be releasing in 2025? That seems a bit too early to me...would 3 years be enough to make a new smash game with updated HD character models, brand new stage roster....etc? I don't think so honestly...i think this game might need and extra year or two of development, specially because they'll want to have as less cut characters as possible with a decent new amount of newcomers.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Bruh. You cannot be ****ing serious right now.

Generic enemy Octolings and playable Octolings are not the same whatsoever.
When people talk about Octolings in Smash, they're talking about the playable variety introduced in the Octo Expansion.

Why in the absolute flying **** would it ever be assumed people would refer to the generic Mook variety let alone the idea that Sakurai would have even CONSIDERED that for Ultimate?

I'm legit flabbergasted.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
To this song hook

🎶 Ohhh Retro-Ness
All I have to play is my NES
Nothing in the dungeon 'cept an empty chest
And nothing lasts forever...

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Cadet
I searched for the interview you're talking about and didn't find anything relating to Isabelle being built completely from the ground up and the similarities coming up naturally. Seems like that's just you theorizing. And the theory is weak because we have evidence of Sakurai slating her as a variation of Villager pretty early on.

There's no point in even discussing this though, because Octoling is a much different case.

I included a link to it in my original post if you didn't see. There's a whole section on Isabelle, but this is the relevant part.

I built Isabelle from the ground up as a different fighter than Villager, it wasn’t really necessary to have her use the same moves. Somehow or other, the “Pocket” move and the variety of tools you use in Animal Crossing – which are characteristic of Isabelle – ended up resembling Villager’s moveset at a basic level.
Given that, and that he mentions that if the team had made her too different from Villager she would have been too complex, it seems like she was initially proposed and designed as her own character, and as development began and alterations were made, her being somewhat derivative of Villager was the natural direction her moveset took.

Like I said, I don't think Isabelle is by any means 1-to-1 with the Octolings, since the Octolings are ultimately an alternate look for the player avatar as opposed to a distinct character in the same way Isabelle is, but I think she's probably the closest precedent as a prominent Nintendo character who could work as both a distinct newcomer and as a derivative of another character, and the only distinct semi-clone in Ultimate's roster, at least depending on how you look at Ken. Like I mentioned, I ultimately don't think there's too much to talk about with the Octolings, because there isn't much precedent for how they'd be included, I'm moreso saying that if you are to approach it from that angle, it'd be the closest frame of reference, and that I can see the merits in Octolings as a more distinct character moveset and promotion wise.

In terms of Splatoon, I've played all three games a good amount, I have at least 50 hours in all of them last I checked. I think the series is pretty fun, though the sequels are definitely indistinct from each other on a broad level. Splatoon 3's campaign has some interesting ideas but I think all three games's campaigns are fairly stale and really lose interest after the first few "worlds". It's an unfortunate situation cause I think there's a lot to praise about Splatoon's multiplayer, and the core gameplay loop is really engaging, but it's difficult to get invested in a series focused on multiplayer that's managed by a company like Nintendo, who are obviously terrible at giving consistent beneficial updates and supporting their competitive community.

Last edited:
Top Bottom