• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of visual redesigns, I'm surprised to find out King Dedede's Smash look isn't his actual main look in the Kirby series? He looks much more Club Penguin-esque in recent Kirby games. I wouldn't want him to change though, I love goofy Smash Dedede.

I'm not sure if this counts as a redesign, but in the off chance that Corrin sticks around, they really should make female the default one. I don't like either of them but the female one is the one most commonly used in marketing, she appears in Engage as the base game Emblem from Fates, and in Warriors she's the default version of Corrin with male being an unlockable alternate.

Also, ZSS. If she stays, please retire those fugly boots. Just give her the Hi-Jump boots, it'd be both a clever reference and a smart explanation to why the suitless version jumps higher. Also, Give her more muscle and make her face less Barbie-like, Samus never looked like that outside of Other M. I also feel it'd be visually nicer if her paralyzer shot magenta beams instead of orange ones, like in Zero Mission.

Bayonetta should obviously be upgraded to her Bayo 3 look with her new purple guns and effects. It might be too much but I'd love if all her alts were the alternate universe Bayos.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
To be honest though, I think the fact Ultimate even exists though I think makes it more likely we'll get an increase in 3rd party representation.

That and I think Nintendo has much more Leverage in ways to appeal to 3rd parties than most other companies can do to have access to their characters. Unlike other Companies that have had Guest characters in their Games, Nintendo has access to their own Hardware/Game consoles, with their own E-Commerce,Eshop with their own rates, and such. They also have a Stranglehold on the Japanese Market, Even more than before. Nintendo has more ways to "Pay" for usuage for characters than just straight money

They could allow an Decreased Percentage rate on the Eshop for Certain Games/Companies (I believe it's the usual 30% Digital shop owner, in this case Nintendo, takes from sales of the game on the Digital storefront) as an example. I don't know if they would exactly do that though because that is alot of money to make from that 30%, but the fact that's even an option means there's more than can be done under the table than other companies might have access to

It's like how Namco was able to get Akuma for free in Tekken 7 by giving Capcom access to some type of Training tools that they had patented.

Adding all that on top of the fact that Nintendo is rolling in Money right now, Then I think an Increase in 3rd parties is not that impossible of an idea. They were able to do Ultimate after Coming off their Worst Console lifespan in a while in the Wii U, so I wonder what they are able to do now after coming off one of the Best Selling Consoles of All time

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
All of his most wanted are supremely niche third parties. Nintendo characters can get away with being niche for Smash, but there has not once been a pick as niche as Ys or Chrono Trigger. They aren't getting in because why would Nintendo pay for a character who most people don't even know who they are. And I don't wanna hear "well nobody knew who Terry was" because KoF is huge in some circles, especially fighting game communities, and the series still exist.

As for Contra, the only people who care about Contra are adults who grew up playing NES. Konami hasn't even made a Contra game in years inhouse, they license it out to other companies because even they don't care enough about it to do it right
Let's be honest, KOF is no SF when it comes to recognition. The competitive scene is not enough to raise the series recognition either. But that still didn't stop Terry from being added to Smash. That's because of his historical significance and influence in video games, specifically the fighting game genre. What makes you think Sakurai won't consider the same thing with Ys, a pioneer in the action RPG genre? And one that does have a fanbase outside of Japan?

For the Contra part, it just got a new game and people love it. So clearly, Konami does care about it and contrary to what you say, it's relevant now. Younger and older people can enjoy it. Trying to diss people for liking older IPs is not a good look on you.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I’m not going to get into it but I’ll just say that Chrono Trigger is one of my absolute favorite games ever made. If you don’t care for it, that’s fine but I strongly disagree that it’s overrated in the slightest.
Don't let me take it away from you, but to me, and the general public, Chrono Trigger has been talked to death as some piece of high art, that when we actually go to play it it turns out that it's just alright.

That said, you gotta stop trolling the new people.

I know you're doing it to be funny, but THEY don't.
Better yet, don't troll anyone

No I don't.
Frankly speaking, I hope you get at least one of your most wanted, because me getting my most wanted was the best feeling in the world. But it took getting the right time, the right place, and the right industry for it to happen. I had to trudge through disappointment for two games before I final got my most wanted. It taught me to temper expectations, and I'm not deluding myself into believing that a hype cycle as crazy as Ultimate is going to happen again. I'd love to be wrong, it'd be cool to get an EiH again with Crash and Dante and Lara Croft and Kiryu and Rayman but you can't just expect everything to be representing new series. Nintendo is gonna want to promote their products in their game, and there absolutely is merit to a character like Dixie. That doesn't mean she deserves a slot more or less than anyone else, but it's best to try and appreciate what you get, not be disappointed at what you don't.

At the end of the day, this is a speculation thread. Whether you actually believe that they're going to be prioritizing third parties or not, it will not ever be JUST the third party show. Common sense dictates that.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Disregarding movesets, which characters do you think will get redesigns?
I would say a Samus redesign is likely, although I'm unsure which suit they would use as the default. The Varia Suit looks pretty cool in Dread, but the white parts are unique to that game and I feel like you'd wanna go with something more standardized. Depends on when Prime 4 comes out too, if there's enough time between then and Smash's development then I think that would be the safest bet. I really love her design in Samus Returns though, so I think it'd be cool if they reached back toward that one as well.

Speaking of visual redesigns, I'm surprised to find out King Dedede's Smash look isn't his actual main look in the Kirby series? He looks much more Club Penguin-esque in recent Kirby games. I wouldn't want him to change though, I love goofy Smash Dedede.
Smash Dedede is definitely pulling more from his look in Super Star, which informed him more consistently through the main series too up til recently. His pupils used to be bigger like they were in Super Star too though, so I guess he's been modernized to an extent or brought in line with the anime. Personally, Smash Dedede is still the perfect design for him in my eyes although I thought his look in Star Allies -> Fighters 2 was strong as well.

1711476821663.png

The "Club Penguin" Dedede we've been seeing is pulling inspiration from Kirby's Dream Land 3 and 64. I was really happy to see them revisit it in Forgotten Land, but more conflicted on it returning in RTDL Deluxe and unsure what he'll look like moving forward. Don't get me wrong, I do like the design, but I don't know if I'm in favor of it eclipsing his more standardized look and I suspect Smash will continue to do what it's been doing.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
OH MY GOD KIRBY'S BEEN CUT

....and now I suddenly remember before Ultimate was shown off at E3, there was a fake leak that talked about how Kirby in the Robobot was a character but no sign of plain ol' Kirb.
Also Steene was the token Pokémon newcomer.

**** was weird.
If it was it's evolution (Tsareena), Pink Yoshi Pink Yoshi would scream of joy

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Don't let me take it away from you, but to me, and the general public, Chrono Trigger has been talked to death as some piece of high art, that when we actually go to play it it turns out that it's just alright.

Better yet, don't troll anyone

Frankly speaking, I hope you get at least one of your most wanted, because me getting my most wanted was the best feeling in the world. But it took getting the right time, the right place, and the right industry for it to happen. I had to trudge through disappointment for two games before I final got my most wanted. It taught me to temper expectations, and I'm not deluding myself into believing that a hype cycle as crazy as Ultimate is going to happen again. I'd love to be wrong, it'd be cool to get an EiH again with Crash and Dante and Lara Croft and Kiryu and Rayman but you can't just expect everything to be representing new series. Nintendo is gonna want to promote their products in their game, and there absolutely is merit to a character like Dixie. That doesn't mean she deserves a slot more or less than anyone else, but it's best to try and appreciate what you get, not be disappointed at what you don't.

At the end of the day, this is a speculation thread. Whether you actually believe that they're going to be prioritizing third parties or not, it will not ever be JUST the third party show. Common sense dictates that.
That’s fair if you don’t care for it. Maybe it has something to do with our age difference. I know it can be hard for me to get invested in old Atari games released before I was born. If you’re used to playing more modern titles, it can be kind of jarring to go back sometimes. Part of the appeal for me is the relative simplicity of the characters and story. A lot of modern JRPGs like Xenoblade can get a bit convoluted in their stories. I still love the games for their gameplay, exploration and music but it’s a bit harder to get fully invested into the story if I don’t fully understand what’s going on. That said, I still enjoyed my time enough to beat every mainline Xenoblade entry as well as the DLC for 3. I wanted to beat Torna as well but I got stuck on mandatory side quests at the end.

I would question though, if everyone is holding Chrono Trigger up as some kind of high art as you claim, wouldn’t logic dictate that people generally like it?

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
That’s fair if you don’t care for it. Maybe it has something to do with our age difference. I know it can be hard for me to get invested in old Atari games released before I was born. If you’re used to playing more modern titles, it can be kind of jarring to go back sometimes. Part of the appeal for me is the relative simplicity of the characters and story. A lot of modern JRPGs like Xenoblade can get a bit convoluted in their stories. I still love the games for their gameplay and music but it’s a bit harder to get fully invested into the story if I don’t fully understand what’s going on. That said, I still enjoyed my time enough to beat every mainline Xenoblade entry as well as the DLC for 3. I wanted to beat Torna as well but I got stuck on mandatory side quests at the end.
I've just played RPGs that feel better to play, even ones from back in the day. I also am generally very hesitant on stories with an emphasis on time travel, and I'm not a big fan of Toriyama's art style - massive respect to the man himself, but a lot of his work feels derivative to me. These all combined lead to a game that doesn't appeal to me specifically. It'd have to have insanely good mechanics and something to set it apart as a JRPG for me to enjoy it, and it doesn't really have anything evolutionary to the genre for the time that isn't cosmetic or that I haven't seen done better in other RPGs.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
If it was it's evolution (Tsareena), Pink Yoshi Pink Yoshi would scream to a high octane.
I heard my name called. I don't appear in here often otherwise but it's a nice throwback to poke in here.

And yes I would HOLLER with excitement if Tsareena made in. Sadly I doubt it will because Meowscarada exists and that's my prediction for the next Pokemon rep.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I've just played RPGs that feel better to play, even ones from back in the day. I also am generally very hesitant on stories with an emphasis on time travel, and I'm not a big fan of Toriyama's art style - massive respect to the man himself, but a lot of his work feels derivative to me. These all combined lead to a game that doesn't appeal to me specifically. It'd have to have insanely good mechanics and something to set it apart as a JRPG for me to enjoy it, and it doesn't really have anything evolutionary to the genre for the time that isn't cosmetic or that I haven't seen done better in other RPGs.
I think it was the first turn based JRPG to do away with random encounters, at least among those I’m familiar with. It also had a pretty unique battle system that cared about the physical location of your characters and enemies while still using the ATB system. It’s also the first game I’m aware of that lets you recruit the (at the time) main antagonist as a party member, which was really cool. Not many games have even done that since.

I’m guessing the reason Toriyama’s art style feels derivative to some people is that he was one of the first to really popularize anime. A lot of other people took inspiration from him and used elements of his style in their own work.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
That's a pity because the old art style is better. But I do think Shulk should get changed (even if it's a downgrade) to fit in with Pyra/Mythra and the potential XB3 newcomer.

yeah, looks a lot better.

it basically the same style just on the wii which xenoblade very c,clearly took sacrifices to fit on, this was always the intended look imo.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If the next Smash Bros. has boss battles (that aren't Master Hand and/or Crazy Hand), I'm hoping they not only bring back Tabuu, but also, if they're willing to continue adding in third-party content, add in bosses from other franchises.

Maybe at least one or two Sonic bosses (E.G. Death Egg Robot, Perfect Chaos, Biolizard, Metal Overlord)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Frankly speaking, I hope you get at least one of your most wanted, because me getting my most wanted was the best feeling in the world.
Well, I got 2 in Smash 4(Little Mac and Mega Man). And 2 in Ultimate(Simon and Hero).

That’s fair if you don’t care for it. Maybe it has something to do with our age difference. I know it can be hard for me to get invested in old Atari games released before I was born.
Speaking as someone for whom old Atari games were not released before they were born, and for whom the 2600 was their first game console...it's still hard to get invested in old Atari games.

I've just played RPGs that feel better to play
See now, that's how I feel about Xenoblade. I do NOT like the way those games play. Feels like I'm playing an MMO by myself.

I think it was the first turn based JRPG to do away with random encounters
I believe that was Earthbound.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
anyway its 100% nostalgia or age, at least form what i've seen.

older people prefer cartoony stuff
and younger people prefer anime stuff

though thats kinda of not really taking account into how western cartoons very clearly took a otn of inspiration from anime, atla really started the at trend imo.
and anime is pretty mainstream at this point, even more than western made cartoons in the west at this point.

in general cartoon mascots are getting booted from their brands and no ones really attempting to make a new big ip with a cartoon mascot, and that style has very much faded into obscurity from the 90's

especially since so much of what Nintendo makes is anime adjacent or just anime

Animal crossing, Zelda, splatoon, pokemon, fire emblem, xenoblade are all pretty "anime" in their look with some blurring the lines more than others.

though again japanese animation has a ton of variety, even trying to tie it into one defined look is dumb.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well, I got 2 in Smash 4(Little Mac and Mega Man). And 2 in Ultimate(Simon and Hero).

Speaking as someone for whom old Atari games were not released before they were born, and for whome the 2600 was their first game console...it's still hard to get invested in old Atari games.
I got a lot in both games I wanted. Namely Shulk, Mega Man, Cloud, Ryu, Joker, K. Rool, Ridley, and Sephiroth.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I think it was the first turn based JRPG to do away with random encounters, at least among those I’m familiar with. It also had a pretty unique battle system that cared about the physical location of your characters and enemies while still using the ATB system. It’s also the first game I’m aware of that lets you recruit the (at the time) main antagonist as a party member, which was really cool. Not many games have even done that since.

I’m guessing the reason Toriyama’s art style feels derivative to some people is that he was one of the first to really popularize anime. A lot of other people took inspiration from him and used elements of his style in their own work.
Idk for me the thing is that all of Toriyama's post Dragon Ball work just look like more Dragon Ball characters. Like, you can still tell Dr. Slump is Toriyama but it's before his art style evolved for Dragon Ball. I would've loved to see his art style evolved more past just Dragon Ball's style.

I mean I like the removal of random encounters and all but I just feel that Super Mario RPG does the ATB stuff better and later legends add on to the JRPG formula in more interesting ways than just being in the same area. Like I said I don't think it's bad it's just stuff I've seen done better in other RPGs.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Somewhat unrelated but I'm on a bit of a retrogaming period (or well... I've played Ocarina of Time and am halfway through Majora's Mask... Life is too busy 😢) and since we're on the topic of older RPGs/adventure games, what I really love about those is pacing. Take the Square RPGs, the Zeldas and some other games from the 90's and you'll notice that they feel like these endless epic adventures but then you check the playtime and they're all 20 hours long lol. That's how thick those games were.
Chrono Trigger in particular stands out in that sense I think, there's never a dull moment and they constantly throw twists at you.

Not that my 80 hours in Xenoblade or my 150 hours in Breath of the Wild haven't been pleasing, but it's crazy how much control over the game's flow developers already had back then.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If the next Smash Bros. has boss battles (that aren't Master Hand and/or Crazy Hand), I'm hoping they not only bring back Tabuu, but also, if they're willing to continue adding in third-party content, add in bosses from other franchises.
My Boss Wishlist

Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross [Star Fox]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Safer∙Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]
Astaroth [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Speaking as someone for whom old Atari games were not released before they were born, and for whom the 2600 was their first game console...it's still hard to get invested in old Atari games.

See now, that's how I feel about Xenoblade. I do NOT like the way those games play. Feels like I'm playing an MMO by myself.

I believe that was Earthbound.
I can understand not liking Xenoblade’s combat. For me, I don’t see it as all that much different than the PS1 era Final Fantasy games. Both systems have you wait for a cooldown meter before a character can perform certain actions. The difference is it’s your entire turn in FF and individual skills in Xenoblade. You can also run around in battle in Xenoblade but it (and the MMO battle systems in general) have always felt like extensions to the ATB.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Sometimes all it takes for a game to go from good to legendary is how it handles it's characters, story and gameplay. While Chrono Trigger's gameplay wasn't anything too groundbreaking, since Final Fantasy IV and later would introduce the ATB that Chrono Trigger would use, but just seeing the characters team-up and work together to unleash combination attacks was still a spectacle to see and gave a good impression of your characters working together. Also helps that it had nice little touches regarding the time travelling element, like doing something in the past will change the future or a future area.
The characters were not too different from your ordinary story tropes, but their development throughout the adventure is easily some of the best as they slowly go from tropes to characters who've seen so much that nobody else is even aware of and want to help even those who wouldn't even be aware they were saved.

Then there is the main villain who probably has one of the best long build-ups for a main villain in video game history. Not a short, but necessary build-up like Ganondorf or Sephiroth, but a build-up from near the start of the story to almost the end of the story, where Lavos, once viewed as just a giant creature that came out of nowhere and destroyed the world in 1999, goes to:
  • a creature worshipped by the fiends and were assumed to possibly be the cause of it's arrival in 1999
  • to the meteor that destroyed the dinosaurs
  • to an ancient being that an advanced kingdom tried to take advantage of for energy, but was prematurely awakened and destroyed most of the old world before going back to sleep and the world reforming into the middle ages/present day continent
  • to the final build-up of being a alien creature that has been manipulating the world and the course of history since it's arrival while maintaining a parasitic hold on the world's life and energy for the purpose of having enough to eventually release itself onto the world, destroying and taking what is left of it, then rocket itself back into space to go to another planet to do the same thing to.
Like never have I seen a main villain go from one kind of villain to another, let alone more than three times, throughout just one adventure. When you think you know what you're up against, it keeps flipping you onto your head and making you realise you haven't seen everything there is to the villain. And they don't speak a single word to you either. The main villain is basically "The Giant Space Flea from Space" subverted and done incredibly well, compared to many other villains that just straight up show up out of nowhere at the end. So it's no wonder that Jenova from Final Fantasy VII would take inspiration from it later.

Basically, even though what it has is mostly basic, Chrono Trigger is a big example on how handling and portrayal can make a game go from a good game to a fantastic game. Much like Die Hard. By itself, it's a good action movie. With Bruce Willis, it's a great action movie. But with Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman, alongside their handling and portrayal, Die Hard goes from a great action movie to a legendary action movie.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
to the final build-up of being a alien creature that has been manipulating the world and the course of history since it's arrival while maintaining a parasitic hold on the world's life and energy for the purpose of having enough to eventually release itself onto the world, destroying and taking what is left of it, then rocket itself back into space to go to another planet to do the same thing to.
It's always funny to me how nobody ever seems to mention the fact that Jenova is just Lavos again.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Sometimes all it takes for a game to go from good to legendary is how it handles it's characters, story and gameplay.
While a great story, great characters and gameplay are certainly essential for a great game, I think what REALLY makes a great game is an awesome soundtrack!

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
My favorite thing about Chrono Trigger's story is the Zeal section.
Not only the sequence where you're sent to the distant past, inside a snowstorm that only brings death, until you suddenly find yourself in an opulent city in the sky is fantastic (not to mention Corridors of Time <3), but that entire section is a surprisingly acute (and relevant) metaphor. The world's elites seclude themselves in a place that's quite literally unreachable by the common folk, where they do technically bring forward the technological progress of humanity -- but the price is paid by most of the people actually alive in that time, who'll never be able to escape the blizzards and the famine. Spelling it like that it's actually not very subtle but I love when simple stories like that incorporate this kind of stuff in such an elegant way as Chrono Trigger does.

And it's probably a me thing but I can't stand ATBs lol, Chrono Trigger's or a good old-fashioned turn based combat system meet my tastes much better.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
While a great story, great characters and gameplay are certainly essential for a great game, I think what REALLY makes a great game is an awesome soundtrack!
I dunno man...Castlevania Judgement has an incredible soundtrack. And yet...

And it's probably a me thing but I can't stand ATBs lol
I'm not a fan of it either. If gameplay consists of selecting things from a menu, there's really no reason for it to progress in real-time.

I don't like much about Final Fantasy 10, but the return to turn-based combat was something I did.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a fan of it either. If gameplay consists of selecting things from a menu, there's really no reason for it to progress in real-time.
For real. It's supposed to keep things exciting but it actually just slows things down.
I really love FF9, but in the time I spent waiting for ATB bars to fill I could've played through a short game...

Oracle Link

Smash Master

Also, ZSS. If she stays, please retire those fugly boots. Just give her the Hi-Jump boots, it'd be both a clever reference and a smart explanation to why the suitless version jumps higher. Also, Give her more muscle and make her face less Barbie-like, Samus never looked like that outside of Other M. I also feel it'd be visually nicer if her paralyzer shot magenta beams instead of orange ones, like in Zero Mission.
It was his main look until fogotten land:
1711482270278.png
1711482301164.png
1711482344404.png

These are dededes looks from returnn to dreamland until prior to forgotten land! They changed his design presumambly because hal seems to struggle a bit with making him look perfcet in the non club penguin design! I think he should have both looks with one MAsked/ Forgo look each!

Also kirby also looks diffrent since a longer time:
1711482616499.png

Hes just a tiny bit pinker with slightly bigger eyes
Also his alts dont use the correct first 4 player colors in smash his first four are default, Yellow green and red and since return to dremland blue is a player colour replacing red (those same colours apply to every playable kirby character)

I personally dont have that much of an opinion on "barbie Smaus" But yeah high heels are really a step to far and dont fit her!

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Smash had British characters (Diddy, K. Rool, Banjo) and a Canadian character (Little Mac, if i'm stretching it)

If we get another character from an english-speaking country, is there any other famous Australian video game character after Ty the Tasmanian Tiger? (Crash Bandicoot doesn't count since he was made in the US, and Kao the Kangaroo was created in Austria. Sorry :4pacman:)

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With Chrono Trigger it also managed the incredible feat of having a distinct identity/quality even in an era where Square was putting out legendary titles (just counting ones that got western releases) on a yearly basis. Secret of Mana in 1993, Final Fantasy VI in 1994, Super Mario RPG in 1996, and Final Fantasy VII in 1997. And yet even with such crowded field of JRPG's it still stands out, which tells you just how remarkable it was and is.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Smash had British characters (Diddy, K. Rool, Banjo) and a Canadian character (Little Mac, if i'm stretching it)

If we get another character from an english-speaking country, is there any other famous Australian video game character after Ty the Tasmanian Tiger? (Crash doesn't count since he was made in the US)
Sorry for self-quoting, but i needed to.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if this counts as a redesign, but in the off chance that Corrin sticks around, they really should make female the default one. I don't like either of them but the female one is the one most commonly used in marketing, she appears in Engage as the base game Emblem from Fates, and in Warriors she's the default version of Corrin with male being an unlockable alternate.
I agree with you on Corrin, and similarly I do hope that if Hero is in the next Smash that DQ3 hero is the base hero and 11 is an alt. It make sense for marketing purpose, but it just feels way more natural for me to have 3 as the base Hero.

Somewhat unrelated but I'm on a bit of a retrogaming period (or well... I've played Ocarina of Time and am halfway through Majora's Mask... Life is too busy 😢) and since we're on the topic of older RPGs/adventure games, what I really love about those is pacing. Take the Square RPGs, the Zeldas and some other games from the 90's and you'll notice that they feel like these endless epic adventures but then you check the playtime and they're all 20 hours long lol. That's how thick those games were.
Chrono Trigger in particular stands out in that sense I think, there's never a dull moment and they constantly throw twists at you.

Not that my 80 hours in Xenoblade or my 150 hours in Breath of the Wild haven't been pleasing, but it's crazy how much control over the game's flow developers already had back then.
This is pretty much the reason I've play so little jrpg. I don't mind long game, and the game can end up being very memorable when you passed so much time with the cast, which is why I love so much the Xenoblade and Yakuza games. But it's also a double edged sword, because when you end up not liking the game, it's so frustrating to have the feeling of having losed so much time. This is why I despised so much Tales of arise and FF15, they're not just bad (imo), they made me lose 80 hours each that I could have played better games and it sucks looking back at them.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

If we get another character from an english-speaking country, is there any other famous Australian video game character after Ty the Tasmanian Tiger? (Crash Bandicoot doesn't count since he was made in the US)
If we're counting Australian game developers, one choice does come to mind...

superprincess

Smash Journeyman

yeah, looks a lot better.

it basically the same style just on the wii which xenoblade very c,clearly took sacrifices to fit on, this was always the intended look imo.
???
Do you people not know what an art style is? The graphical limitations don't count as part of the art style. The series has had an obvious turn towards a more anime style which is generic imo. What an unnecessary reply 😭

Top Bottom