• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yeah. But I’m not talking about the original, I mean concurrent releases during that time.
Relevance isn't the only deciding factor for a character getting in. It does play a part in some characters getting in (so a recent release can be promoted, for example), but if it was the sole reason, then we wouldn't have gotten Marth (I don't think he had been in any recent FE games at the time of Melee's release, though I could be wrong; I'm not familiar with the earlier FE games), K. Rool, Banjo and Kazooie, etc.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Hey can you provide that Kefka statement with a source?
I mean, he's definitely the 2nd most iconic FF villain.

Wouldn’t Square want to promote the latest Final Fantasy
The latest FF when they added Sephiroth was FF7 Remake.

I thought Kefka's popularity was more lopsided towards the Western fandom because of how localization changed his character.
Whatever changes NA made to Kefka in FF6, they're pretty much canon now. Because Kefka is 100% that character in Dissidia. He has Buggy the Clown's Japanese VA!

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I feel like people put too much stock in things that are nice to have but are ultimately side content (music, assist trophies, PNGs).
Cloud came back with all the content he had in Smash 4: a stage and two songs. They probably just re-negotiated the existing deal, and according to Sakurai getting more music was not possible at the time.
Anyways that amount of content might be disappointing by current Smash standards, but it was still more than what most games get when a character crosses over. Or what Smash itself had before Brawl.

Anyways, my point is... Uuuh, that I second the notion that if Cloud comes back, Sephiroth also does. I'd also bet a couple ice creams that they'll bring in Tifa at one point, or someone from FF9 if that game is also getting a remake

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Specifics about his popularity aside, I think Kefka would be my ideal next step for Final Fantasy. Given how much Sephiroth impressed me, and provided he comes back some way or another, I'd love for them to continue the trend of bombastic RPG villains and Kefka would stand out so much. Would be pretty cool to see someone match Sephiroth's level of destructive magic power but contrast his chilling stoic nature with a more spontaneous, careless yet equally terrifying energy. We don't really have a clown character either, just from a pure archetypical perspective.

I'm not sure if they would opt for him over someone like Terra Branford given the circumstance, and honestly I think I'd enjoy both, but I think Kefka would justify himself as long as we have one of the Final Fantasy protagonists around (Cloud)... how long would the Dancing Mad arrangement be?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Sabin and his inputs tho... God that'd be insane! Or Cyan sword techs... Edgar's tools lol just imagining the chainsaw ... Now I just want a ff6 smash game ><;

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honestly Kefka would be a great pick for a FF rep that's not from 7. Down with that concept even if I think Terra would probably come first. Like hell, I'd be down with the video game equivalent of the Joker.
now is it really fair to lump them togther just cause they're both clowns

Now I just want a ff6 smash game ><;
hmm we could have both mog and umaro

Ivander

Smash Legend
I do hope at some point that we do get a character outside of FF7, but whether that happens soon or later is not easy to tell when Tifa is around the corner and she's easily next to Cloud and Sephiroth in popularity.
---
That aside, recently I have been seeing alot of videos regarding cut content for other games that have been found 10, let alone 20 years after the games' release and I'm like, it's so bizarre with how much stuff has been getting found today long after their releases, how the heck have we not found more for Smash Melee, Brawl and Smash 4? With some of the things people find for other games, it feels like if they were decided to look at one of the Smash games at some point, they'd find the holy grails Smash fans have long wanted to find.

Last edited:

Serix

Smash Rookie
Anyways, my point is... Uuuh, that I second the notion that if Cloud comes back, Sephiroth also does. I'd also bet a couple ice creams that they'll bring in Tifa at one point, or someone from FF9 if that game is also getting a remake
I used to want Zidane, but I think Vivi could be a cooler pick. Imagine the Kirby hat :b:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars | Page 145 | Famiboards

Bandai Namco Studio is seriously producing an in-house game engine that "can also create an open world", and is looking for developers. We asked about the development process and the human resources we are looking for - AUTOMATON (automaton-media.com)

Organization / Technology Studio | Bandai Namco Studios Official Website

Studio 2/Studio S | Bandai Namco Studios

So I was looking more into the Studio S thing that was talked about months ago, with Studio S speculated to be where Smash Development is happening. I saw the thing about Apprantly Namco's new In-house Engine going to Studio S (in the third link, if you Scoll down you'll see it). After reading about how the engine is made to "Make Open world a natural option" for development, I guess Here's a question to ask...

How would you guys feel if the Next Smash game was the First attempt at a Open World Smash Bros game? Maybe the actual fighting will be the usual 2D Smash Bros gameplay, but there's modes where you can roam in Open world, kind of like Fortnite?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars | Page 145 | Famiboards

Bandai Namco Studio is seriously producing an in-house game engine that "can also create an open world", and is looking for developers. We asked about the development process and the human resources we are looking for - AUTOMATON (automaton-media.com)

So I was looking more into the Studio S thing that was talked about months ago, with Studio S speculated to be where Smash Development is happening. I saw the thing about Apprantly Namco's new In-house Engine going to Studio S (in the third link, if you Scoll down you'll see it). After reading about how the engine is made to "Make Open world a natural option" for development, I guess Here's a question to ask...

How would you guys feel if the Next Smash game was the First attempt at a Open World Smash Bros game? Maybe the actual fighting will be the usual 2D Smash Bros gameplay, but there's modes where you can roam in Open world, kind of like Fortnite?
I'll see what happens.

I normally don't give opinions until it's confirmed and we see gameplay footage and whatnot, but my standard opinion is often, "I don't care as long as it's fun to play."

7NATOR

Smash Master
sounds kinda stupid
So to envision it better, I Imagine it be like Fortnite, or any other Battle Royale game in that you exploring a large area and collecting items and stats boosts and such, but when you come across other players, you engage in a Traditional Smash Battle. Perhaps up to 99 Players if the New Switch is beefy enough to handle it, with Last player standing winning

Think of it as Smash Run, but with More than 1 player at once (like it was originally envisioned) and the Roaming around part being 3D instead of 2D, or it could be a combination of 2D and 3D movement

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So to envision it better, I Imagine it be like Fortnite, or any other Battle Royale game in that you exploring a large area and collecting items and stats boosts and such, but when you come across other players, you engage in a Traditional Smash Battle. Perhaps up to 99 Players if the New Switch is beefy enough to handle it, with Last player standing winning

Think of it as Smash Run, but with More than 1 player at once (like it was originally envisioned) and the Roaming around part being 3D instead of 2D, or it could be a combination of 2D and 3D movement
Sounds awful

making an open world purely for an online battle royal mode seems like a waste

I think the closest you get to an open world smash would be an adventure mode purely in the style of SSE’s great maze or Kirby’s great cave offensive

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion

I'd have to see how it turns out first but overall, all I'm interested in is the 2D Smash Bros. gameplay.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think the closest you get to an open world smash would be an adventure mode purely in the style of SSE’s great maze or Kirby’s great cave offensive
Yeah if they somehow ever went back to an SSE-style adventure mode, I could easily see them trying to differentiate it by making it less linear than SSE, allowing you to view cutscenes and unlock characters in any order, etc. Risks turning the story into "finish this laundry list of side quests" / "collect this laundry list of McGuffins" but could be fun. In any case, more exploration-focused gameplay might help take attention away from platforming mechanics that simply can't be as tight as those of a dedicated platformer, since Smash has to accommodate dozens of playable characters with radically different parameters.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
open world might be referring to something like the massive arena smash run takes place on but I kind of think that's stretching it
Come to think of it, I can see a Smash Bros. open world game being something like the hub world from Kirby's Air Ride, only much larger, and the hub worlds serving like the 3D worlds from Street Fighter 6. With that, there could be fights in 2D sections in the form of Smash stages where the actual fighting is done. That is how I imagine it.

I still think that this engine is for another game, though.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Could be they need something like unreal engine or unity and want an inhouse version because it could be streamlined around 3d fighters ... Hmmm heh... I'll believe it when I see it and I stand by my previous statement that if the next smash is 3D I'm still going to want a traditional 2D one also .

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Here’s the thing about Engines. If Bandai-Namco really is making a new in-house engine to build their properties on then, quite frankly, they’re way behind. Also, “can” also creat an open world game doesn’t mean that it’s only for open worlds. Engines don’t really work like that. If they can only do one thing they’d die rather fast.

Take Capcom’s RE Engine for example. Originally designed for use in a first person horror game is now being used to build a brand new 3rd person open world RPG, was just used for a 2D Fighting game, and was even utilized in bringing back Ghost N’ Goblins as a 2D side scroller.

It’s about time that BN got their own engine because they’ve been behind the curve when the Dragon Engine and RE Engine have been doing wonder for their developers for years. I’m sure the next Smash game will remain a Smash game.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Like I highly doubt that Smash will suddenly be turned into an open world action RPG. It doesn't really make sense.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
On this topic though, I actually think a Metroidvania style adventure would be really fun in Smash Bros

Think, World of Light meets The Great Maze (which I know most people don't like either lol)

You start off with a super basic character, probably a newcomer dedicated to the role who can't use projectiles or any elemental attacks. As you progress, you unlock characters who can do those stuff, like unlike Mario, suddenly you can burn a plant blocking your path. Unlock Kirby, now you can cross a wide gap. Unlock Pikachu, now you can open doors that need power.

A premise like that I feel would be a fantastic platforming adventure while adhering to Sakurai's dislike of cutscenes.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don't really see an issue with open-world itself. It's more so what's going to happen after it gets introduced. Because adding "Open-world" can mean anything. Sure, it could very well be an attempt at an Arena Fighter, but how do we know it's not simply something like Street Fighter 6 where the Open world is exploration-only while the gameplay is still the same 2D gameplay we like? Or what about something like a Metrovania-like 2D "Open-world" similar to Metroid, Castlevania or Kirby and the Amazing Mirror? Nothing is concrete until it's revealed.
And even then, I don't want to completely disregard a game just because it tries to do something different. Like I said, I don't care much as long as the game is fun to play. I'd be okay to try out an Arena Fighter Smash Bros and all the more power if it is fun. Sure, I don't want to lose the 2D gameplay it's known for, but I'm also not against trying out a different take.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I thought about it more

I think Open World Smash game is stretching it, and not what I think is going on here.

I do think that we are getting a Mode that parallels the gameplay Subspace Emissary, and Smash run, but brought to it's full potential. Things like 8 Player Co-op in Single Player modes that resemble the Beat em up nature of Smash Run or Subspace. and maybe perhaps up to 99 Players Battle Royale for Online

I think one thing too that makes something like Smash Run possible for this next game is that thanks to the Switch library, there are more Up to Date HD Assets that could be used to fill in Enemies like how Smash Run used 3DS Assets from other games to supplement the enemy lineup.

Also on the engine, The article where they go in depth about it, at that point it seemed like it was in a Somewhat Finished state, and that in another year it could be ready to be tested with actual Games. Well it's been a year since that article so I do think Smash might be the First game to use this new Engine.

I like the idea of Tifa, Terra, or Kefka, but I'd rather see other third-party franchises get a unique second rep before we get a third FF character.
and On that Note I'm going to go ahead and put a Prediction out there that I'm very confident in

I think we're 100% getting another Kingdom Hearts character in the next Smash game

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I don't know anything about this stuff, but the game engine thing doesn't necessarily mean much, I think.
Ancient example but I believe Mario 64, Starfox 64 and Ocarina of Time all run on the same engine. Some other EAD games on the N64 like F-Zero X probably do too? And I'm fairly confident I've read at one point that even the Metroid Prime games and DKC Returns/Tropical Freeze use the same engine.
Wasn't Studio S speculated to be working on Smash due to the hirings for a "2d action game"? The game engine thing could just be something they want to do to standardize the development of all their games.

But we also could have all just been baselessly speculating on the wrong premise for all these months! Nice to get a reminder about that. Maybe Studio S is just making something else.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
How would you guys feel if the Next Smash game was the First attempt at a Open World Smash Bros game?
Horrified.

I don't need Street Fighter 6's World Tour Mode in Smash.

So to envision it better, I Imagine it be like Fortnite, or any other Battle Royale game in that you exploring a large area
Battle Royal games are not Open World. They're just very large arenas.

I'm just gonna say that if we do get an open-world Smash game, it would likely be some sort of spinoff.
Super Smash Kart City!

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
On this topic though, I actually think a Metroidvania style adventure would be really fun in Smash Bros

Think, World of Light meets The Great Maze (which I know most people don't like either lol)

You start off with a super basic character, probably a newcomer dedicated to the role who can't use projectiles or any elemental attacks. As you progress, you unlock characters who can do those stuff, like unlike Mario, suddenly you can burn a plant blocking your path. Unlock Kirby, now you can cross a wide gap. Unlock Pikachu, now you can open doors that need power.

A premise like that I feel would be a fantastic platforming adventure while adhering to Sakurai's dislike of cutscenes.
Yes, Metroidvania Smash where characters are power-ups is something that could be really cool. There were a couple instances like that in SSE I think, I remember one treasure you could only reach with characters who could wall jump or had a super long recovery like Pit - but nothing more than that.
With this many characters I'm not sure it could work though, but once again World of Light was actually on the right track imo.

All the Spirits power-ups kinda ruin this since they will just nullify hazards, but doing some fights spiritless really asks you to think about each character's abilities in relation to a particular challenge.
The floor is lava? Pick Jigglypuff and just stay in the air!
There's an Assist Trophy who kills you in two hits? Pick Banjo and Kazooie and destroy it with a couple of Wonderwings.
Stuck in Shadow Moses, stamina mode, where you die in two hits? Pick Ridley, skewer the wall destroying it in one hit, then drag the opponent off-stage with side B.
Against four opponents in Magicant who all kill you in one hit? Pick Link, or any character with a big-ranged up air, and slowly chip at your opponents from the platform below.
Rathalos boss destroys your shield every time it hits it? Pick Marth and use his counter instead.
Etc.

The game turns into something like a puzzle fighter, it's really fun, even though some battles clearly weren't designed for this and just become incredibly hard and tedious.
But as a concept it's ace. You could easily use this in a WoL-like Adventure mode where you need to find the right character (or one of the right characters) before you can more strategically tackle a specific, particularly difficult challenge.
Also, steering too far away from traditional fighting and incorporating full-fledged platforming levels wouldn't really work with a cast as varied as Ultimate's in my opinion. Imagine having to do that with Steve.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

If by that you mean Smash Run 2 then yeah. If not then keep that **** away from Smash at all costs.

Top Bottom