• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newcomer: Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight) *Now with Moveset Sketches!*

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

Now may Rayman never be spoken of in this thread again.

FlipTroopa said:
Sukapon-- That's right kiddies. He appears twice on the poll, but Sakurai has commented on him nonetheless! Supposedly Sakurai has been looking towards a lot of retro NES titles, and has landed his eye on Joy Mech Fight affectionately. That's really... all there is. But it should be nice to note that Sukapon is remembered in Japan, and that technically Joy Mecha Fight is Smash Bros. NES. Sort of. .....did you know Smash Bros. was planned for SNES? *runs away*
Sukapon does seem to interest Sakurai if he has "landed his eye on Joy Mech Fight affectionately." And even after appearing on the Melee poll (I think he was in the top 20 then) 6 years ago, Sukapon is STILL popular. Hopefully Sakurai has recognized that, and has thought out whatever problem there seemed to be for Sukapon in Melee.

parrothead

Smash Lord
I prefer Skapon, because Excite.co.jp's translator, the best online Japanese-English translator available, translated this:

スカポン

To this:

Scapon (close, but it can also mean Skapon)

Saying "Sukapon" is just like saying "Sutafi" (which is actually "Stafy").

Want to know why I prefer Stafy, the name of the protagonist of the Densetsu no Stafy series? I'll show you. His Japanese name:

スタフィー

Translates to this:

Staff (which is close to Stafy)

See also this part of Wikipedia's Densetsu no Stafy series article.

Now for DeMille from Tomato Adventure, his Japanese name:

デミル

Translates to this:

DeMille

Also, when I used デミル in Google and Yahoo, I saw some names in English. Two of them were "Cecil B. DeMille" and "Nelson DeMille".

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I prefer Skapon, because Excite.co.jp's translator, the best online Japanese-English translator available, translated this:

スカポン

To this:

Scapon (close, but it can also mean Skapon)

Saying "Sukapon" is just like saying "Sutafi" (which is actually "Stafy").

Want to know why I prefer Stafy, the name of the protagonist of the Densetsu no Stafy series? I'll show you. His Japanese name:

スタフィー

Translates to this:

Staff (which is close to Stafy)

See also this part of Wikipedia's Densetsu no Stafy series article.

Now for DeMille from Tomato Adventure, his Japanese name:

デミル

Translates to this:

DeMille

Also, when I used デミル in Google and Yahoo, I saw some names in English. Two of them were "Cecil B. DeMille" and "Nelson DeMille".
I thing his name was written Skapon because of length issues with the names

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
The "u" in "Sukapon" is supposed to be silent, which is why "Sutafi" is pronounced "Stafy", but not "Soo Ta Fee".
Yessir. I's and U's between consonants are generally silent, if I'm not mistaken.

EX: "dekitana" is pronounced "dek'tana"
EX2: "sasuke" is pronounced "sas'ke"

Fawriel

Smash Master
The "u" in "Sukapon" is supposed to be silent, which is why "Sutafi" is pronounced "Stafy", but not "Soo Ta Fee".
You mean Sü Ta Fee?
I've always wondered about that. Whenever I hear the seiyuu in anime say a word with a u in it, they pronounce it more like ü. Of course, this sound doesn't exist in English, which explains why I seem to be the only one I know noticing that.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
You mean Sü Ta Fee?
I've always wondered about that. Whenever I hear the seiyuu in anime say a word with a u in it, they pronounce it more like ü. Of course, this sound doesn't exist in English, which explains why I seem to be the only one I know noticing that.
It exists in Chinese, too. I know the sound, but that doesn't make any sense, because they would just use "iu" in Japanese. Even in Chinese, I don't really notice a discernable difference between "ü" and "iu". Maybe it's just me.

Either way, I suppose it's a moot point because it's still just "Stafy." :grin:

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
You mean Sü Ta Fee?
Das ist deutsch, richtig? Sorry if it's a bit crude, but I'm currently learning German myself and I will admit it is rather difficult to correctly pronounce the "ü" sound. Interesting how one of the most closely related languages to English is still so vastly different, isn't it? :dizzy:

Getting back on topic though, I believe that the intended spelling is indeed "Skapon" as parrothead suggests. Do you guys really think he has a chance though? Considering that the Punch-Out!! franchise got snubbed the way that it did despite being one of the most cherished classic Nintendo series, I can't help but think that this rather small cult classic is getting anything more than an AT appearance, even if it is Nintendo's only true fighter franchise... Now I love Joy Mech Fight (though my favorite robot fighter is actually Neo :grin:) and I still support the idea wholeheartedly, but you have to admit things aren't looking to good right now... Ah well, let's just keep our fingers crossed.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Things aren't looking good for Skapon OR Takamaru--my last retro hopes may be dashed! :cry: If we go by the "icon theory," neither currently stands a chance.

If, however, we ignore that little idea, anything is possible. Something to consider: while all three retro characters (Skapon, Little Mac, and Takamaru) were all acknowledged on Sakurai's poll, Little Mac was mentioned only once; Skapon, however, was mentioned twice, and Takamaru got an even better three mentions. Couple this with the fact that Skapon showed well even back on the Melee poll, and that Sakurai personally mentioned going back and looking at Nazo no Murasamejou for inspiration, and we at least have hope that things could work out in our favor.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Things aren't looking good for Skapon OR Takamaru--my last retro hopes may be dashed! :cry: If we go by the "icon theory," neither currently stands a chance.

If, however, we ignore that little idea, anything is possible. Something to consider: while all three retro characters (Skapon, Little Mac, and Takamaru) were all acknowledged on Sakurai's poll, Little Mac was mentioned only once; Skapon, however, was mentioned twice, and Takamaru got an even better three mentions. Couple this with the fact that Skapon showed well even back on the Melee poll, and that Sakurai personally mentioned going back and looking at Nazo no Murasamejou for inspiration, and we at least have hope that things could work out in our favor.
To be fair though, I believe that Sonic wasn't even mentioned once in the Toukoken, but maybe it was such a thing that it was so obvious it wasn't even worth mentioning. Also, the "icon theory" I believe is moot anyway. Remember when everyone thought that the icon was limited to 18? Then along came Sonic and the count got bumped up to 20. I'm more than certain that there will be more than 20 franchises receiving significant representation before all is said and done. At any rate, we'll just have to wait and see...

tirkaro

Smash Champion
rawr. did someone just mention the icon theory!!!?

listen, the icon theory is bull. its complete overspeculation and has more holes in it than swiss cheese. just say NO to the icon theory.

I hope you're not.
why the f*ck are you still here?

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Thread's on first page, yeah I'm here, **** you!
just because luke is banned, that doesn't mean you can keep on spreading your usual ignorance on these boards. honestly, if you dislike them, keep your goddanm opinions to yourself. because nobody cares about them anyway.

Didn't you say Sukapon was the poor man's Rayman, who are you to talk?
didn't you make the anti-pacman thread? who are you to talk?

Ralph_Marquee

Smash Journeyman
I was just answering the statement you made about how I called Sukapon a "poor mans Rayman", thats all.

Yeah, you should just leave because I totally just OWNED you, ha!

Ralph_Marquee

Smash Journeyman
^^thought ya left? LEAVE!!!! Whats wrong with my threads? At least I'm not getting flamed like you are half the time.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently Joy Mech Fight was based on Street fighter 2's fighting type...?

tirkaro

Smash Champion
what's your prob? you like pink ****? you ***!
dont you know? pink **** is a delicacy where I come from.

really, if your going to negative nancy around here, at least make somewhat intelligent posts that you know wont get you flamed to death. and most importantly: dont encourage vesperview. ever.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
from here it seems you two are the only supporters of this **** character, why don't you go to a corner and lick each others asses?
Sukapon is one of the highest supported Japanese characters, and for good reason...

Stop your ignorance and learn

tirkaro

Smash Champion
flame me to death? dont make me laugh, you ***s are all words behind your keyboard, keep sucking your pink **** you ***!
oh boy. its worse than I thought. its pretty much smashyou666 all over again. how fun. orz

what the hell is wrong with you? in case you didn't notice, this isn't gamefaqs. meaning, typing like a 9 year old, acting like a ******, and having most of your words censored WILL make you look like a complete and total idiot.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
followerofbrawl, Ralph_Marquee, shut the hell up!

Wanna flame each other? Good, do it with private messages, and leave this thread so I can regain my sanity lost by reading your posts with thoughtful discussion like this board was made for. Better yet, I'll go to 4chan, because at this point it's more intelligent than this.

A mod will be here shortly to warn/ban you both, I expect.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
followerofbrawl -- don't post in this thread anymore.

Everyone else -- if someone is being disruptive, report them and ignore them in your posts. It makes things so much easier that way.

Top Bottom