• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newcomer: Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight) *Now with Moveset Sketches!*

HappyBirthday

Smash Cadet
It would be amazing to see Sukapon clash with Mr. Game + Watch. They are both retro with amazing designs. Sukapon is way more interesting than anyone else condsidered for Brawl and i don't see why people are so quick to come up with ideas for why he is not going to be in. Sukapon is better than almost all other suggestions

parrothead

Smash Lord
"Sucker Punch" is just a coincidence AND AN OPINIONATED FACT. Didn't any of you discover it OR did someone else discover it? There are a few robots named in English, while others are named in something else, like Sasuku and Senju, which are similar to the name Sukapon / Skapon. Can you find English equivelants of those two names?

Excite's translator can translate Japanese names better than Google's can, while Google's can translate English names better than Excite can.

Read Thinkbeforeyouclick's reply to my question on how exactly スカポン is translated as, again:

For "スカポン" my guess is that the word "スカ" is meant to connotate a missed attempt, emptiness or some sort of generic quality (for example, when you swallow Waddle Dee in some of the older Kirby games, Kirby's copy ability is briefly labeled as "スカ" because Waddle Dee has no special abilities). It probably isn't the equivalent of "Sucker Punch" because that would be "サカパン" (サッカーパンチ) and I don't think the word "Sucker" is that common to Japanese people. I personally would write it as "Sukapon," because "s-u-k-a-p-o-n-n" is what you type on the keyboard for "スカポン." However, "Skapon" sounds more like the actual pronunciation in Japanese, so it's really just a matter of preference.

It is interesting to note that Ska, a type of Jamaican music, is "スカ" on the ja wiki. This may add to your case for it being "Skapon." Thinkbeforeyouclick (talk) 17:57, 23 November 2007 (UTC)
If "スカ" means some kind of reggae or Jamaican music, then that would explain why Sukapon's dancing.

The correct spelling is "Sukapon", while the correct pronunciation is "Skah-pon". If it was pronounced "Sou-kah-pon", it would look like this: スーカポン. However, it does not. Also, "s-u-k-a-p-o-n-n" is what you type on the Japanese keyboard for "スカポン."

Here are some examples on words that contain a "sou" or "sū" sound in their pronunciation:

スープ means "soup"
スーパーマリオブラザーズ means "Super Mario Bros."

AND

スーツ means "suit" as in a kind of clothing

Chepe

Smash Lord
Now here's a "WTF?" character that also actually has a chance. I support Sukapon, and after seeing that gameplay video of his game, I can now imagine him moving that way in full 3D in a Brawl environment...

I dont think he's unreasonable at all, and I can see Sakurai adding him first over other retros like Takamaru because of his love of quirky characters. Sukapon would add more to Brawl than quite a few others, but if he was released outside Japan then his chances would truly be great...

Zorya

Smash Ace
Sukapon's up! If someone wants to add his name to it, go ahead. I can't do that.

parrothead

Smash Lord
If "スカ" means some kind of reggae or Jamaican music, then that would explain why Sukapon's dancing, like on the front cover of this CD album.

To listen to some samples of it, CLICK HERE.

Sukapon (pronounced as "Skah-pon") is enjoying it.

Sukapon's up! If someone wants to add his name to it, go ahead. I can't do that.
These two artworks are better:

WhipIt1

Smash Cadet
I hope Sukapon is in Brawl! He is better than a lot of other retro characters. Also, I loved the music! The first part could be Sukapon's Victory Theme, and the rest could play during the credits! :)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I found a very interesting rendition of Sukapon made to almost modernize him

DarkVision

Smash Journeyman
THis is speculation from that Japanese site...

But, is this good or bad news?

JOIMEKAFAITO protagonist. お笑い用ロボットを戦闘用に改造したものである。 Robots battle for comedy to be remodeled.   実は、スカポン自体の登場はスマデラの時点で決まっていたのだが、権利問題により、取り消されてしまった。 Actually, SUKAPON itself is SUMADERA appeared at the always been that the issue of rights, been deleted.   しかし、つい最近、当時参加していたプログラマーの江渡氏の自宅で著作権譲渡のための押印が押されていない覚書が発見され、これにより、ジョイメカファイトは正式に任天堂の商標となった。 However, more recently, at the time of participating in the programmer's Wataru Kou said at his home in a copyright transfer for the imprint has been pressed yet have been identified in the memorandum, thus, will be formally JOIMEKAFAITO Nintendo's trademark.   詳細はこちら(えと日記) 。 For more details (well Diary).   桜井さんだけでなく、作者の江藤氏もスカポンの参戦を望んでいるため、レトロキャラクターの中では極めて参戦確率が高い。 Mr. Sakurai, as well as the author of江藤SUKAPON also wants to go to war because, RETOROKYARAKUTA fought in the extremely high probability.   参戦したとしたら、コンナンイラヘンなどといった技が期待できる。 Fought and, KONNANIRAHEN such tricks is to be expected.   ちなみに、スマデラの時点では、各キャラがスカポンに搭乗して暴れまわれるという仕様を予定していたようなので、アイテムとして出るかもしれない。 Incidentally, SUMADERA at this time, each character is SUKAPON board to act MAWARERU the specification was scheduled so the items out as a maybe.
Also interesting to note

It translates his name as SUKAPON, not SKAPON for some reason...Hmmm...

I think they believe his chances of being in the game are REALLY high, and that he has a good shot as being playable, but it could be possible he ends up as an AT...

(Actually, I think they might be expecting Sukapon as an item, not an AT...which is a friggin weird thing to think)

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
It's Skapon, and sadly Skapon doesn't have THAT huge of a chance since Sakurai has sad in the past to not expect him in a future Smash game. I still hope such a great character makes it, though.

But comparing that small fact with the fact that he's one of the most popular choices in Japan for a character, I'd say the good outweighs the bad.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Sakurai's potential bias against including too many JPN only characters might be his downfall though. Sad really, I support this guy fully because he is a perfect WTF character: wacky and obscure enough for WTFs from everyone outside Japan, but yet is requested...

Anyway, I find myself wondering what his name would be outside Japan... Would it really be Skapon? Maybe Scapone? Somehow Skapon seems unlikely to me as a localized name...

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
I still don't really like Sukapon too much, but I have to admit that the first video was pretty cool. I wouldn't mind him as much now.

Corax The Cold

Smash Journeyman
please post if hes owned by nintendo or not, WAY more likely if he is. Also based on the ideo he would either be some rediculouly godly teir with osme weird exploit, or way bottom teir.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I think that with the deconfirmation of Stafy, who probably had the best chance for a Japan-only character at making the Brawl roster, we need to consider the possibility that Skapon might very well not make it in as a playable character...

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
I think that with the deconfirmation of Stafy, who probably had the best chance for a Japan-only character as a playable in Brawl, we need to consider the possibility that Skapon might very well not make it in as a playable character...
Realistically Stafy didn't have the biggest chance, Takamaru did. Skapon's chances aren't that big either, although he is extremely popular with the fans so I'd say he's right under Takamaru (he would have more of a chance if Sakurai didn't say not to expect him in a future game in some of the old Melee journals).

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Realistically Stafy didn't have the biggest chance, Takamaru did. Skapon's chances aren't that big either, although he is extremely popular with the fans so I'd say he's right under Takamaru (he would have more of a chance if Sakurai didn't say not to expect him in a future game in some of the old Melee journals).
So how does a character with ONE relatively obscure FDS game beat out a character with FOUR considerably popular handheld titles? Sure the old school crowd over in Japan are dead set on his inclusion and heavily promote it, but they're simply a REALLY vocal minority. Nazo no Murasame-jou wasn't the most popular FDS game and it's Famicom Min re-release was a total flop (third worst selling). Sure he could get in, but it won't be because he's a popular choice, despite what impression the Toukouken "results" might leave...

WarxePB

Smash Ace
The only thing standing in S(u)kapon's way is his obscurity. Yet, even with that, he did get two votes on the poll, which is the same as Isaac and Claus. And if there's a vocal minority in Japan that advocates him, then Sakurai knows of the character, at least.

Luke GroundWalker said:
He would have more of a chance if Sakurai didn't say not to expect him in a future game in some of the old Melee journals.
And we all know that any statements Sakurai makes are subject to change, especially if he said it six or seven years ago. S(u)kapon might also be a bit of a challenge to program, but an easy fix would be to make him one big hitbox when standing still, running or jumping; when he attacks, he's split into six separate hitboxes, and hitting his hands or feet doesn't send him flying (but any damage he takes interrupts the attack).

If I can think of a fix like that with no programming expertise, then if they wanted S(u)kapon in, they would put him in.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
So how does a character with ONE relatively obscure FDS game beat out a character with FOUR considerably popular handheld titles?
He didn't star in an obscure FDS game. The game was extremely popular in Japan at the time when it was released next to the first Legend of Zelda, even more popular than Kid Icarus was (totaling that up for Japan-only ratings). There's nothing really obscure about it, it's more iconic if anything.
Sure the old school crowd over in Japan are dead set on his inclusion and heavily promote it, but they're simply a REALLY vocal minority.
Hahahahahaha, you keep thinking that.
Nazo no Murasame-jou wasn't the most popular FDS game and it's Famicom Min re-release was a total flop (third worst selling).
Nazo was one of the most popular, about as popular as Zelda in Japan. The only reason Zelda continued with a sequel is because of it's popularity in other countries while Nazo was just exclusive to Japan.

And no, it wasn't a flop, at all. It didn't sell greatly but it wasn't a flop. The statistics on that one Japanese site is showing world-wide stuff, not just Japan-only sales. Of course such popular titles like Super Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong are going to sell more than it.

And Nazo sold a lot more than Kid Icarus, and one of the major factors why Pit is in the game is because of the sells of the re-release and it's cult fanbase in Japan. Takamaru has that and more sells than Kid Icarus.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I think that with the deconfirmation of Stafy, who probably had the best chance for a Japan-only character at making the Brawl roster, we need to consider the possibility that Skapon might very well not make it in as a playable character...
...What?! That makes no sense (at least to me).

And vesperview, does the fact that Sukapon was mentioned twice on Sakurai's Poll (the same number of times as Lucas) mean anything to you?

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
He didn't star in an obscure FDS game. The game was extremely popular in Japan at the time when it was released next to the first Legend of Zelda, even more popular than Kid Icarus was (totaling that up for Japan-only ratings). There's nothing really obscure about it, it's more iconic if anything.
Now, now... It wasn't THAT popular and you know it. Sure it did outperform Kid Icarus on the FDS - and I'm think that it's entirely due to that game's cult status outside Japan that secured Pit's position, because it certainly wasn't because of it's success with the Famicom-Mini series (second-worst selling title) - which he had earlier stated would decide whether he got in or not. And as far as "iconic", I could say the same thing about Star Tropics, which was also popular for its time. Sure its nearly forgotten now, but there was a time... back in the day...

Hahahahahaha, you keep thinking that.
Yes, I prefer not to be subject to delusion...

Nazo was one of the most popular, about as popular as Zelda in Japan. The only reason Zelda continued with a sequel is because of it's popularity in other countries while Nazo was just exclusive to Japan.

And no, it wasn't a flop, at all. It didn't sell greatly but it wasn't a flop. The statistics on that one Japanese site is showing world-wide stuff, not just Japan-only sales. Of course such popular titles like Super Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong are going to sell more than it.

And Nazo sold a lot more than Kid Icarus, and one of the major factors why Pit is in the game is because of the sells of the re-release and it's cult fanbase in Japan. Takamaru has that and more sells than Kid Icarus.
The numbers don't lie: http://geimin.net/da/mini.php

While I did mistakenly state it was the third worst selling (it was actually the fourth), I wouldn't call selling just over 50,000 copies a "success" by any means. Again, you're being extremely subjective with your statements. I'm having trouble finding the source - I'll be sure to post it when I do, but Nazo didn't come ANYWHERE near the success that the original Zelda enjoyed - that's why the latter got the sequel and the former didn't... The original Zelda wasn't even released internationally yet (August 22, 1987) by the time Zelda II hit the shelves in Japan (January 14, 1987), so that couldn't have been the determining factor anyway.

And again, you're sure that Kid Icarus's international cult status didn't have anything to do with Pit's inclusion, just the Japanese cult following?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You know... I think one advantage Skapon (and Takamaru) have over other Japan-only characters such as Stafy and Demiru, is that their games can be released on the Virtual Console. (...Takamaru's can, right?) It would be easier for them to be ...familiarized to non-Japan regions.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Again I said might, so that doesn't mean we should discount his chances of inclusion completely. We just ought not get overly optimistic about it is all I'm saying... By all means, support your Brawl hopefuls to the fullest. Isn't that more or less the purpose of this forum anyway?

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Again I said might, so that doesn't mean we should discount his chances of inclusion completely. We just ought not get overly optimistic about it is all I'm saying... By all means, support your Brawl hopefuls to the fullest. Isn't that more or less the purpose of this forum anyway?
Indeed, and thanks for that enlightening info.

D

Deleted member

I, for one think that Sukapon is a phenomenal and original character. He is very unique and I think that he should be in. Sakurai doesn't show very much love for Japanese only chars but he has potential along with Claus and Takamaru.

Sukapon for Brawl!

courte

Smash Lord
y'know it's odd you see a character's picture and you say... eh

then you see them in action or play as them and say "yeah!! def for brawl!!"

this one i'm kinda split in between. I'd like to see it revived in SOME form, and if it means in smash then++

courte

Smash Lord
i'd be glad to simply see him in the game... and after learning that FE:SS ephraim has just about no chance... im so saddened

Top Bottom