• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newcomer: Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight) *Now with Moveset Sketches!*

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord

*note: borrowed fanart from www.bisuke.biz

Name: Sukapon, sometimes referred to as Skapon (Ska-pon)
First, and Only, Appearance: Joy Mecha Fight for the NES, 1993

Suggested B Moveset:

B: Tondeker--Otherwise known as "Bum Head" (by me :laugh:). Sukapon leans forwards all the way, throwing out another copy of his head with a O.O face. It moves slowly, but travels about as long as Luigi's Fireball, dealing surprisingly good damage with light knockback.

Forward B: Konaniran--Pulls back his head and throws it forwards, knocking back opponents as it travels. Goes about the distance of a Falco Phantasm, then immediately flies back to his body. If the direction the head flew is held (forwards), then the head stays in place, and Sukapon's body slides towards it. Great for recovering onto platforms.

Up B: Soaring Skapon--The only original move in the bunch. Sukapon curls into a tight ball and leaps upwards a bit, then shoots out his four limbs in a full spread, knocking back anybody near him. He remains like that for a split second, almost looking like he's soaring, then begins to fall. If used in the air, he gets more height off the initial jump. Also, if his hands happen to touch the ledge, he'll be pulled towards it. One of the perks of having hands you can shoot off from your body, huh? :p

Down B: Skapon Roll--Skapon pulls his limbs closer to his body and does a fast cartwheel forwards, dealing damage to whoever he runs into and then knocking them away as he bounces off (basically like Rollout). You keep tapping B to move a little faster, and if used in the air goes diagonally down, like Rollout, but Sukapon executes the attack the second you hit Down and B. Sukapon cannot turn using this attack; he only goes the distance once, and then rolls out of the attack. However, interestingly, he CAN jump, and still executes the attack while jumping. If he goes over an edge, OH WELL XD

Taunt: Does his dance he always does in game

Entrance: Dances a bit, his head falls, and he picks it back up and screws it on. Just like his entrance in JMF.

Why should you want Sukapon? Because he's from one of Nintendo's original fighting games, and if you discredit Punch-Out as boxing, and Urban Champion as being too simple, he's from the first. He has a full repertoire of attacks already, and his "fighting form" has been shown, so the transition from Joy Mecha Fight to Brawl is simple. Also, the unique ability to shoot out his limbs, not unlike Rayman, can come in very hand, giving him some incredible reach. Finally, he's just a funky robot, who wants to groove and tell jokes. Nothing wrong with that. The game could use a little bit more humor anyways, don't you think? ;)

I'll update later with a full moveset and comments, like I make for most of my character ideas, and answer any questions you guys may have. But until then, SKAPON ON! :chuckle:

***PICTURE***

EDIT: Cut out the Diddy parts, so now it's ALL Sukapon! ;)

EDIT:

--VIDEOS--

One by yours truly... almost a year old!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC5TBT8pTcE

And another, humorous, MUGEN video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cToFXPUTBP4

Enjoy!

GenG

Smash Lord
Joy Mech Fight has one of the best 8-bits soundtracks ever. And Skapon is just too funny.

I can't imagine a super smash move for him... maybe his other 7 fellow robots appear and break havoc in the battlefield.

parrothead

Smash Lord
ON TOPIC: Official Art:

And here are more pictures:

I can barely see that someone is going to make fun of him, just like when they called the two fencers from "For the Frog the Bell Tolls", chibi-Marth and chibi-Roy, and when they thought Mike Jones the rapper starred in StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge. These jokes are about as awful as most overrated YTMNDs.

OFF TOPIC: Six+ years of Japanese name controversy will obliterate me. First Broly, then Stafy, and now Skapon. To end this, Japanese characters must enter SSBB in order for Nintendo divisions outside of Japan (including Nintendo of America (NoA)) to give out the official names in other languages. Fan translations are kind of like rumors.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
Now THIS is really an obscure character. He looks cool and would be an excellent addition to Brawl. Plus he can enter like a Rayman clone (Or Rayman as a clone of Sukapon?).

parrothead

Smash Lord
Can Rayman do some things that Sukapon does, like move his head toward an opponent to hit him/her/it?

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
He looks badass =P. He seems to be an interesting character, Noypi supports this =D

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Noypi_GjD said:
He looks badass =P. He seems to be an interesting character, Noypi supports this =D
Yay! XD

And I thought he looked a lot like G&W too, when I first saw Game and Watch in Melee. Wonder if they used Sukapon as a basis, since Game and Watch is an original character afterall :confused:

th0rn

Smash Lord
Jesus Christ folks, are people just trying to find as many Nintendo characters on Wikipedia and post them up saying they want them in SSBB? Or did you really say to yourself, I want ****ing Sukapon in SSBB!!!

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
th0rn said:
Jesus Christ folks, are people just trying to find as many Nintendo characters on Wikipedia and post them up saying they want them in SSBB? Or did you really say to yourself, I want ****ing Sukapon in SSBB!!!
You want cheese with that whine?

I have honestly played Joy Mech Fight looooong before SSB, and have always personally wanted the character to make an appearance. He was requested twice on the Japanese poll, might I add. That doesn't count the letters Sakurai kept to himself.

So yeah, go off and lie down or something, because these suggestions kick a lot more *** than the same old hackneyed 12-year old "DAISY IN SSB!" bull****. Yeah, that's right: anybody who seriously thinks Wolf, Daisy, Petey, Darunia, or whoever the hell else is actually a good idea to complete this roster in the real world needs to shut their trap while the adults talk. :p

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
FlipTroopa said:

I have honestly played Joy Mech Fight looooong before SSB, and have always personally wanted the character to make an appearance. He was requested twice on the Japanese poll, might I add. That doesn't count the letters Sakurai kept to himself.

So yeah, go off and lie down or something, because these suggestions kick a lot more *** than the same old hackneyed 12-year old "DAISY IN SSB!" bull****. Yeah, that's right: anybody who seriously thinks Wolf, Daisy, Petey, Darunia, or whoever the hell else is actually a good idea to complete this roster in the real world needs to shut their trap while the adults talk. :p
I don't think it's fair to lump Wolf in there with the likes of Petey Piranha and Darunia, but otherwise, I'm in complete agreement - there sould be much more representation from Nintendo's lesser known titles, as it would serve to bring much more variety to the table (don't we have enough Mario, Pokemon, and LoZ: OoT characters as it is?). It would also serve to make these franchises much more widely known and would hopefully give Nintendo incentive to bring new life to them - atleast they would have alot more material to draw from.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I don't know anything about Sakapon, but he looks cool. I hope he is put in the game! I want a lot of weird japanese characters.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Sukapon is the wierdest character on Nintendo but I have seen him a lot on Mugen sites.

I could picture him in Team Melee with Stafy as an ally. I dunno why. They seem to go together.

th0rn

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:

parrothead

Smash Lord
Why would someone ignore Skapon when he is born, while they enjoy Rayman who was born a few years later and say that Skapon is the clone of Rayman? Skapon was made before Rayman.

If Skapon was copied by Kirby, then it would be difficult to tell if Kirby is imitating Skapon or not. Why? Try comparing Pikachu to Ditto imitating Pikachu, it's just like that.

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
Yes, I actually think this idea is good. I mean, for some reason he looks as though he would fit nicely into the game.

-SMB

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
What kind of attacks would Sukapon have?
Well, in Joy Mech Fight, he does a lot of really weird punches, kicks, and headbutts where he throws off parts of his body. For example, his Tilt Forward A would be something where he teeters forwards on one foot, and his two hands extend ahead of him as he leans forwards. Or his B could be his special attack where he actually throws off a false head at the opponent. He's a really quirky character. He's constantly dancing as he fights, too, which is cool and funny at the same time. His standing animation has his feet close together and his hands straight up in the "crane" position, and he just... spins, slowly. As you dash he spins faster, and he throws out his limbs when you attack, basically making "dance moves." When he jumps, he's still spinning, but shortly throws out his hands and kinda "teeters" in midair. I can't really... show you, unless you play the game for yourself, so just hope you *ahem* find a copy, or he pops up in Brawl :chuckle:

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Wow... looks like things got really ugly back on page 1...

Back on topic, Sukapon's such a unique character, that just the concept is enough to work up a wicked moveset - though it would be a crime not to utilize the game for reference, but it wouldn't be difficult for the character to go beyond the boundaries of Joy Mech Fight at all...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
FlipTroopa said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...flames

And actually, MUGEN was what introduced me to Sukapon too :p
MUGEN is the best fighting game next to Jump Superstars, SSBM, and maybve, SSBB?

Well anyway, like most obscure characters, Sukapon has myu vote.

My only question is this:

Sukapon is pink and ball shaped.

Kirby is Pink and Ball-sjhaped.

Whathappens if Kirby sucked up Sukapon?

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
Kirby would most likely end up looking like Sukapon.

This is one of the STRANGEST characters I've ever seen. And as a buff for the strange and obscure, I say stick him in the roster if there's space.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
FlipTroopa said:
If only you guys saw how he fights in Joy Mecha Fight (Or MUGEN :p), then you'd want him even more.... :laugh:
I saw him on MUGEN. And he only uses 2 buttons, like any good NES character. I think if he has a Brawl moveset similar to the MUGEN version, his SUPER should be "F1", which kills any opponent without touching it :chuckle: .

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Tomasiarity said:
I saw him on MUGEN. And he only uses 2 buttons, like any good NES character. I think if he has a Brawl moveset similar to the MUGEN version, his SUPER should be "F1", which kills any opponent without touching it :chuckle: .

Kudos to that idea! :chuckle:

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Tomasiarity said:
Haha. Fantastic!

parrothead

Smash Lord
ON TOPIC: How many Sukapon contributions were Sakurai interested in? I think it's one, but he is a very good choice for MUGEN. Eventhough, he is a Japan-Only character, Nintendo can translate and add Japan-Only titles (including Joy Mech Fight) to the Virtual Console.

OFF TOPIC: I have Sukapon on my MUGEN, but the MUGEN character creator didn't fully make him fight well enough. Is there a video of him in MUGEN on YouTube?

The easiest Nintendo characters to convert to MUGEN, IMO, are: Tin Star (Tin Star), Demiru (Tomato Adventure), Stafy (Legend of Stafy franchise), and probably Michael Jones (StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge; not to be confused with the rapper).

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Sukapon appears twice on the poll, actually. And one of the contributions mentions the other Joy Mecha Fight robots as cool potential fighters as well, and definitely good trophies.

If I still had MUGEN, I'd try and whip something up for ya, but I'm afraid I can't :( I can search for Joy Mecha Fight footage, though. Gimme a sec...

EDIT:

WIKI > here

FOOTAGE > Working on it. I'll make some myself.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I have the video all good to go, just gotta compress/convert. w00t

...I could never do this stuff for a living >.>

EDIT: I ended up having to cut it in half, and in the process, the audio was unsynced. I told you: I hate doing this ****. Computers need to just have magic buttons for me to click :laugh:

But anyways, you get to see the Tondeker, Skapon Roll, and some of his crazy regular moves and poses. You miss out on him getting KO'd or using the Skapon Toss or Konaniran, but you win some, you lose some, eh? :laugh:

It'll be on YouTube in a few.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Sorry to double post, but here's the footage:

Wow... that audio sync is horrible, but the Konaniran is present. Cool. You just miss the Toss and him getting KO'd then. Not so so bad. And all the robots have the same animation on KO anyways, so eh. Just envision the karate bot doing that animation with Sukapon's body :laugh:

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
FlipTroopa said:
Sorry to double post, but here's the footage:

Wow... that audio sync is horrible, but the Konaniran is present. Cool. You just miss the Toss and him getting KO'd then. Not so so bad. And all the robots have the same animation on KO anyways, so eh. Just envision the karate bot doing that animation with Sukapon's body :laugh:
OMFG! That game is amazing for an NES title - almost looks like a 1st generation SNES tile. The gameplay looks awesome - I need to get the ROM. This game has to be represented! - Sukapon just made to my top ten.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I don't see why Sukapon shouldn't be added. I mean, he would be the easiest character model to make. Just make a bunch of spheres. Boom. Done.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Sukapon is the shizzle, I told you guys :laugh:

Sakurai HAS to know how easy and cool he'd be in Brawl. Or else he'd have never accepted two entries about him.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I just played Joy Mech Fight. It was a really fun game. I think Sukapon would fit in really well with the quirky nature of the game.

Top Bottom