• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hey all, wanted to ask you all on this idea. What if Bandai Namco does get a fighter this pass, and what if they choose Nightmare from Soul Calibur. Then we would get two villains in this fighter pass.
Not just that, but it'd be the first villain to represent a new series. Even better if they actually use his SCIII version, who is separated from Siegfiried entirely. The more fan rules broken the better(albeit, the only one that isn't an actual fan rule is "must be a video game character/from a video game series" anyway).

Though Agumon is still easily my preferred Bandai-Namco character, I got no complaints about Nightmare. This is also part of why I'd love Fulgore. He's more like the secondary villain in a way, but he's the mascot and easily represents the Killer Instinct franchise perfectly. Besides, his most famous appearance is the Nintendo versions, namely the SNES game. That's the original Logo they used when they chose a mascot.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's not like people think Spirit Upgrades or more secondary unique 3rd Parties are inherently locks now, it's that they can finally discuss them again after so long without being told "Nuh-uh, not happening, shut up about this character!". The only reason people are discussing them so much now are because of all of the naysayers and fan rule enforcers who tried to shut down all characters in these categories in the past due to their perceived belief that they knew exactly what the developers were thinking.
The irony, as always, is that “fan rule enforcers” are the ones who call things fan rules.

Fan rules don’t exist, they never have. Commonly discussed ideas are picked up and sure, a random Twitter user may push it. But the things that get called “fan rules” to throw shade at? Especially on this website? Those aren’t rules. The term is used to make those ideas sound bad because some folks don’t like them, but not once has anybody tried to pass things off as a speculation law or something.

Can we please just stop using the term? Jeez. The only person stopping people from talking about certain characters are...the people who want to talk about those characters.

Sure, I don’t care much for Bandanna Waddle Dee and I don’t think it’s gonna happen personally. But do I tell people they can’t...CAN’T talk about it? No. That’s not a thing.

People keep saying that conversation was, “shut down” but considering how regularly I used to post her, and as somebody who gets accused of making up “rules” seemingly all the time (spoiler alert: I don’t make up rules) I’ve literally never seen this, or when it has it’s rarely actually taken seriously.

It sometimes seems like a victim complex and to be honest, that ain’t healthy. Just talk about what you want. Nobody is stopping you.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Hey all, wanted to ask you all on this idea. What if Bandai Namco does get a fighter this pass, and what if they choose Nightmare from Soul Calibur. Then we would get two villains in this fighter pass.
Unfortunately, I think Namco shot its wad with Heihachi's Mii Costume.
If they were getting a second fighter, it'd have been him.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth I think it could work because they could do two characters in one. I know you said separated Nightmare, but if they did Siegfried Nightmare. Then they could combine their movesets and get two characters, just change between their costumes.

Ben Holt Ben Holt While that is my initial thought as well, it's still incredibly odd Bandai Namco has only Pac-man despite working on Smash. Perhaps they got Heihachi mii out of the way, so they could do other Namco Mii's? Either way I think Nightmare could really work, especially since it brings more villains into the roster. They could also choose him out of history, since he has had an encounter with Link before.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I swear to god if it's the same song, but 2 different versions of it...
If it's One-Winged Angel... I'll take it.

The lack of it in both 4 and Ultimate is a travesty.

Albeit, I'd love music beyond FFVII too. Force Your Way from VIII is goddamn amazing alone. There's tons of beautiful music throughout the franchise. Though in the end, a Mii costume not from VII feels a lot more likely than music unrelated to VII at this point. And I barely put stock into the idea either, as you can tell from my previous posts.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth I think it could work because they could do two characters in one. I know you said separated Nightmare, but if they did Siegfried Nightmare. Then they could combine their movesets and get two characters, just change between their costumes.
My point was it'd be good to break more precedents and fan rules. Nightmare is interesting because he's his own person as well. The Siegfried costume only was logical in II. I mean, it'd more work because it's also the only other game to directly come to Nintendo consoles besides Legends... which is more or less related(with Siegfried becoming Nightmare).

However, from what I'm guessing, they might use female Nightmare instead, which could arguably be even better. But seeing as how Nightmare's male form is the actual mascot and logo, I dunno. Though I don't remember how different female Nightmare is design-wise. There's multiple variations on Nightmare. Also, Night Terror would look awkward if it was Siegfried using it, so that's something they may look at among the options.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I got to ask, Have any of you guys come across Reactions from People who don't know who Sephiroth is, Or better yet, people that Hate Sephiroth Reacting to it?

The Closet thing I can come to is Joshscorcher making a Quick Incredibles edit being salty at FF6 being snubbed again
I know a guy who wants to play Final Fantasy VII but hasn't gotten around to it yet. Somehow he's managed to avoid any spoilers for it (including that one), so he didn't know the name Sephiroth at all. He recognized him when he watched the trailer though.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
If it's One-Winged Angel... I'll take it.

The lack of it in both 4 and Ultimate is a travesty.

Albeit, I'd love music beyond FFVII too. Force Your Way from VIII is goddamn amazing alone. There's tons of beautiful music throughout the franchise. Though in the end, a Mii costume not from VII feels a lot more likely than music unrelated to VII at this point. And I barely put stock into the idea either, as you can tell from my previous posts.
Fair point.

OWA is pretty badass so it'd be worth it BUT... at least give us JENOVA and a couple other tracks too. Please... D=

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fair point.

OWA is pretty badass so it'd be worth it BUT... at least give us JENOVA and a couple other tracks too. Please... D=
I admit I barely got into FFVII's music, so OWA is like all I really know/heard enough to remember parts of it.

Nonetheless, hell yes. J.E.N.O.V.A. absolutely should be there(now to clarify, I do know how this one is spelled).

FFVIII was my FF jam, too. Squall having even a Spirit would be lovely~

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Ben Holt Ben Holt While that is my initial thought as well, it's still incredibly odd Bandai Namco has only Pac-man despite working on Smash. Perhaps they got Heihachi mii out of the way, so they could do other Namco Mii's? Either way I think Nightmare could really work, especially since it brings more villains into the roster. They could also choose him out of history, since he has had an encounter with Link before.
I dunno man. Tekken is huge. I think it's even outsold Pac-Man.
Plus, having Ryu, Terry, and Heihachi would be a satisfying trio.
Also, Sakurai openly talked about considering Heihachi for Smash 4.
He also has the ever so important-for-DLC unique moveset.
I just feel like if we were getting another Bandai-Namco fighter, it'd have been Heihachi. And since he's a Mii Costume, I don't see anyone else getting chosen over him.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
He also has the ever so important-for-DLC unique moveset. https://youtu.be/4COCnZ8Ir3g
I just feel like if we were getting another Bandai-Namco fighter, it'd have been Heihachi. And since he's a Mii Costume, I don't see anyone else getting chosen over him.
Sakurai did say the reason Heihachi wasn't chosen for Smash Wii U was because of his moveset, so perhaps thats why they decided no again. I definitely agree Tekken is way bigger, and personally I wanted Jin Kazama as the next Bamco rep. However perhaps Bandai Namco decided they wanted to get more people interested in Soul Calibur. Just a thought.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No, we still keep FFVII only content going into Ultimate. It's now labeled even more clearly as FFVII on the site. Treating it like other series is silly. It's simply not like others.
Actually it was always like that, and it is also like that for the other overspecifically named series as well. Heck, Dragon Quest is labeled as Dragon Quest XI S: Dawn of and Elusive Age Definitive Edition on it even though it isn't marketed with that specific title in the game, trailer, or Sakurai Presents. It's not an indicator of whether or not the content is locked to a specific title. And no, it's not silly to use this as evidence. This is the traits these series share, so knowing how the Smash team handled them can give us insight into what is possible.

It was never treated even close to similar otherwise. FFVII is an outlier, but one to expect to continue. It's a pretty clear precedent for that series. Focus on one game. This isn't something other series do either, because they simply chose a different path. It's one thing if it was just 4, but Ultimate is still clearly the case, showing it may not even be a licensing factor alone. FF in general has shown absolutely no evidence in being represented. Chocobo Hat is a stretch when it pretty much already is a creature very well known in FFVII, and isn't, again, a design from any literal FF game, but a spin-off Chocobo game(which of course being as Chocobo's big thing, anmely breeding, isa FFVII notable bit? Yeah, it's still pretty much focused on VII).
Final Fantasy has had 1 character in a game where DLC was treated pretty differently than it is in this game, and there also isn't any indicator that there's a laser focus on Final Fantasy VII now. Sure, there hasn't been anything else shown off, but that's the case for all character reveals; They don't show anything that isn't directly related to them in the trailer.

There's precedent only from completely unrelated series. There's no reason to think those series are setting a precedent beyond themselves. As it's different people and different negotiations, these things do actually exist in a vacuum.

It'd be nice if I'm wrong, but I see absolutely no good reason to believe we'll get anything but FFVII content here.
The negotiations may exist in a vacuum, but how the development team presents it is not. We know that they are comfortable having content in the game that exists outside the scope of a series while still sticking it under that umbrella. For example, Galaga music being listed under the PAC-Man series. This has nothing to do with negotiations, and thus, negotiations can't dispute that fact. And knowing that fact, one can deduce that Sephiroth's series still being called the Final Fantasy VII series doesn't inherently mean that it is only going to have Final Fantasy VII content.

And as I've said before, 1 data point doesn't really tell you anything. We don't really know what happened during negotiations, and that lack of knowledge means that with our current information, there is a possibility that Sephiroth could come with general Final Fantasy content, be it songs of Mii Costumes. And mind you, I say that it's possible, not the most likely outcome. Likelihood is currently incalculable.

Last edited:

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice

I too was upset Heihachi didn't make it, especially with how close he got to being in 4. I guess Dark Souls being my 2nd most wanted now kinda invalidates that but still.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think Heihachi/Tekken is a matter of time, assuming Sakurai manages to find a way to translate Tekken mechanics to Smash in the future. I guess translating Tekken properly into Smash was the problem and why he discarded Heihachi in Smash 4.

I know a guy who wants to play Final Fantasy VII but hasn't gotten around to it yet. Somehow he's managed to avoid any spoilers for it (including that one), so he didn't know the name Sephiroth at all. He recognized him when he watched the trailer though.
Honestly that guy is a superhero. Not knowing anything about FFVII if you check internet regularly for video game stuff sounds hard. I played FFVII in 2008, I think? And I was already spoiled in 1 or 2 things before playing it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think that it's Heihachi or nothing for a Bandai-Namco character. Tekken may their biggest franchise, but they don't necessarily go in size order when picking characters. I think so long as the character is deemed as profitable, they are a candidate, and I'd imagine the Tales of, Dark Souls, SoulCaliber, and perhaps a few other series have characters that would be deemed profitable.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I too was upset Heihachi didn't make it, especially with how close he got to being in 4. I guess Dark Souls being my 2nd most wanted now kinda invalidates that but still.
I too really want Heihachi.
Guess I can pray for Fighter's Pass Volume 3.
¯\(ツ)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually it was always like that, and it is also like that for the other overspecifically named series as well. Heck, Dragon Quest is labeled as Dragon Quest XI S: Dawn of and Elusive Age Definitive Edition on it even though it isn't marketed with that specific title in the game, trailer, or Sakurai Presents. It's not an indicator of whether or not the content is locked to a specific title. And no, it's not silly to use this as evidence. This is the traits these series share, so knowing how the Smash team handled them can give us insight into what is possible.
And again, these are different companies and different series and different negotiations. They set no precedent for unrelated series.

Final Fantasy has had 1 character in a game where DLC was treated pretty differently than it is in this game, and there also isn't any indicator that there's a laser focus on Final Fantasy VII now. Sure, there hasn't been anything else shown off, but that's the case for all character reveals; They don't show anything that isn't directly related to them in the trailer.
...Besides it being completely laser-focused on only VII in Smash 4 and Ultimate thusfar? Cause that's been the case. The precedent isn't actually "just this game". And 4 and Ultimate are absolutely different games and set their own precedents. It became clear Cloud was only allowed to represent purely VII. The only actual other thing beyond the Chocobo costume(which Chocobo are in VII anyway) is the design for Irfrit... but it still is pretty much the VII version otherwise in how it acts.

The negotiations may exist in a vacuum, but how the development team presents it is not. We know that they are comfortable having content in the game that exists outside the scope of a series while still sticking it under that umbrella. For example, Galaga music being listed under the PAC-Man series. This has nothing to do with negotiations, and thus, negotiations can't dispute that fact. And knowing that fact, one can deduce that Sephiroth's series still being called the Final Fantasy VII series doesn't inherently mean that it is only going to have Final Fantasy VII content.
And FFVII content has existed specifically as only that. Again, two precedents to keep to that for the series. Then they actually make it clear Sephiroth is from FFVII, not FF in general? They actually did solidify it beforehand.

And as I've said before, 1 data point doesn't really tell you anything. We don't really know what happened during negotiations, and that lack of knowledge means that with our current information, there is a possibility that Sephiroth could come with general Final Fantasy content, be it songs of Mii Costumes. And mind you, I say that it's possible, not the most likely outcome. Likelihood is currently incalculable.
Two data points, not one. Ultimate Base and 4 DLC are separate things. This is why you don't see a single 3rd party costume back either till DLC, because the negotiations are overall separate.

I don't know where you keep getting the idea it's "1 data point", but we clearly see two. And 3rd one is literally coming up. I'm going to go in expecting it to laser focus on VII like both times so far. If I'm wrong, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but the fact they changed the series logo to VII right away does actually tell us that it wasn't a generic FF representative either way. That's very suspicious, though it can still be a red herring.

Other companies are so off and distant from each other that they just aren't comparable. SNK gave more content than practically any other. Does it set a precedent suddenly for other companies? No. Because they're unrelated. Besides, when the Square part of Square-Enix got nothing in the Hero presentation, that actually does imply that the negotiations are more split off than we may think. And I don't mean Capcom USA and Capcom Co. Ltd either, who own separate characters. It further shows they're a lot more separated than we may think. I mean, that already did, but Shroob brought up a good point about Square and Enix not being that tied together. There's also the factor that the content is owned among different various people in the companies, so we already knew it wasn't "one part owns all" to begin with. This is pretty much also what solidified it for me to treat each company as its own entity and its own rules and situations/context for negotiations. Whatever happens with a series is completely irrelevant to another if the ownership is split up in any slight possible way.

(Gah, typos).

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's really impressive.

And it very well might all get ruined come Thursday if he watches the showcase, considering the stage and... some of Sephiroth's moveset, knowing how Smash treats spoilers, lol.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That's really impressive.

And it very well might all get ruined come Thursday if he watches the showcase, considering the stage and... some of Sephiroth's moveset, knowing how Smash treats spoilers, lol.
"And for his down air, Sephiroth stabs the ground. This is a reference to when Sephiroth stabbing ______ in the _____ while she was ______. It was a really shocking moment for players at the time!"

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"And for his down air, Sephiroth stabs the ground. This is a reference to when Sephiroth stabbing ______ in the _____ while she was ______. It was a really shocking moment for players at the time!"
Hey this is the same guy who spent like five minutes going over Tooty's path in the background of Spiral Mountain.

I leave no amount of exposition off the table.

Shroob

Sup?
Which it did? I think things being over by November seems likely.
I mean, it went FUBAR at the beginning sure, but by now, things have very clearly worked themselves out.

I've done the calcs in the past, but to sum it up as briefly as possible:

Min Min's ARMS reveal to her actual release date with a higher end 80+ day gap

Min Min's release to Steve's release was 100~ day gap(Though there's evidence he was held off a bit to coincide with Minecon)

Steve to Sephiroth, even if he doesn't come out this week, will still be a mid-70's-ish.

And we can assume that March will be the next character due to the Amiibo, with maybe June as well due to E3.

I dunno, but I can't see us waiting potentially 5 months for CP11 if we get an E3 drop.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And again, these are different companies and different series and different negotiations. They set no precedent for unrelated series.

...Besides it being completely laser-focused on only VII in Smash 4 and Ultimate thusfar? Cause that's been the case. The precedent isn't actually "just this game". And 4 and Ultimate are absolutely different games and set their own precedents. It became clear Cloud was only allowed to represent purely VII. The only actual other thing beyond the Chocobo costume(which Chocobo are in VII anyway) is the design for Irfrit... but it still is pretty much the VII version otherwise in how it acts.

And FFVII content has existed specifically as only that. Again, two precedents to keep to that for the series. Then they actually make it clear Sephiroth is from FFVII, not FF in general? They actually did solidify it beforehand.

Two data points, not one. Ultimate Base and 4 DLC are separate things. This is why you don't see a single 3rd party costume back either till DLC, because the negotiations are overall separate.

I don't know where you keep getting the idea it's "1 data point", but we clearly see two. And 3rd one is literally coming up. I'm going to go in expecting it to laser focus on VII like both times so far. If I'm wrong, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but the fact they changed the series logo to VII right away does actually tell us that it wasn't a generic FF representative either way. That's very suspicious, though it can still be a red herring.

Other companies are so off and distant from each other that they just aren't comparable. SNK gave more content than practically any other. Does it set a precedent suddenly for other companies? No. Because they're unrelated. Besides, when the Square part of Square-Enix got nothing in the Hero presentation, that actually does imply that the negotiations are more split off than we may think. And I don't mean Capcom USA and Capcom Co. Ltd either, who own separate characters. It further shows they're a lot more separated than we may think. I mean, that already did, but Shroob brought up a good point about Square and Enix not being that tied together. There's also the factor that the content is owned among different various people in the companies, so we already knew it wasn't "one part owns all" to begin with. This is pretty much also what solidified it for me to treat each company as its own entity and its own rules and situations/context for negotiations. Whatever happens with a series is completely irrelevant to another if the ownership is split up in any slight possible way.

(Gah, typos).
OK fine, 2 data points. That still doesn't make a pattern. (EDIT EDIT: This is a concession on that point. I should have worded it less snappy though.) It doesn't matter anyway, your main counterargument isn't related to mine. You're talking about the negotiations, while I'm strictly speaking about how Nintendo has handled things afterward. With Nintendo being the common active component in my argument, everything I have said is relevant to it.

...but the fact they changed the series logo to VII right away does actually tell us that it wasn't a generic FF representative either way.
Pointing this one out specifically because I know for a fact that, unless different locations on the site used different logos for some reason and we are talking about different site locations, the logo for Final Fantasy has always been Final Fantasy VII's logo.

EDIT: And I should again denote that I'm speaking to the possibility of the extra stuff, not the likelihood. If you think that it is more likely that there won't be, that's fine, but I don't think there's enough information to definitively say that that chance is 0.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Speaking of me and dumb theories...

I see..so what you're saying is..
ezgif-7-81a7606f9f59.gif

ezgif-7-7813bf2bf073.gif

Donkey Kong (Arcade Era)
I think most people consider Donkey Kong, as a character, a good guy (yeah, I know that :75M: and :ultdk:are different characters, but to the layman there's only Donkey Kong and most consider him a good guy).
Unfortunately, I think Namco shot its wad with Heihachi's Mii Costume.
If they were getting a second fighter, it'd have been him.
I would say that Lloyd Irving or Yuri Lowell have a fair chance as well. While Tekken is a huge series for Namco, I think there were more requests for Tales characters.

Shroob

Sup?
I think my only letdown about Thursday is probably I'm going in expecting strictly FF7 music.

So Dancing Mad is completely off the table.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I was thinking that if we were forced to only got 2 songs with Sephiroth, it should be One-Winged Angel and the full version of Dancing Mad.

Dancing Mad is basically 4 songs in one so in a way we'd kind of have 5 songs despite only having 2 new music additions.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I was thinking that if we were forced to only got 2 songs with Sephiroth, it should be One-Winged Angel and the full version of Dancing Mad.

Dancing Mad is basically 4 songs in one so in a way we'd kind of have 5 songs despite only having 2 new music additions.
Why should it be Dancing Mad?

It is in no way related to FF7 and/or Sephiroth.

I.D.

Smash Lord
The irony, as always, is that “fan rule enforcers” are the ones who call things fan rules.
The enforcers are the people writing walls of text telling you X character (or type of character) is impossible because of "precedent" that most of the time turns out to be random chance.

"Fan rules" is an excellent term because it makes people who are always wrong about this stuff and yet keep acting bizarrely confident about it rage super hard.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Why should it be Dancing Mad?

It is in no way related to FF7 and/or Sephiroth.
Sephiroth uses Heartless Angel, which is a move originally used by Kefka in the final battle of FFVI where Dancing Mad plays. Therefore, it is connected to Sephiroth.

Also it's one of the tracks I'd consider to be a contender for Uematsu's magnum opus and Smash can only get better having it in.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Sephiroth uses Heartless Angel, which is a move originally used by Kefka in the final battle of FFVI where Dancing Mad plays. Therefore, it is connected to Sephiroth.

Also it's one of the tracks I'd consider to be a contender for Uematsu's magnum opus and Smash can only get better having it in.
Sephiroth using a move that another character, in another FF game has, and using that as a point of connection, seems like hard reaching to me sorry to say.

FF shares a lot of things across its games: moves, spells, summons, etc.

Dancing Mad has absolutely nothing to do with FF7 and using that as a song to tie in with Sephiroth, the character, seems very weird and off base.

We'll see what happens on Friday, since Nintendo is going to do what it's going to do, but it still seems strange is all.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Sephiroth using a move that another character, in another FF game has, and using that as a point of connection, seems like hard reaching to me sorry to say.

FF shares a lot of things across its games: moves, spells, summons, etc.

Dancing Mad has absolutely nothing to do with FF7 and using that as a song to tie in with Sephiroth, the character, seems very weird and off base.
Maybe an emote would have helped make it clear my first point was the less serious one.

Dancing Mad is one of the best songs in FF that you don't even need to consider the parallels between Sephiroth and Kefka both ascending to godhood and looking like an angry angel while a kickass theme plays in the background.

Just put good FF music in with a good FF character. There's nothing weird or off base about that.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Maybe an emote would have helped make it clear my first point was the less serious one.

Dancing Mad is one of the best songs in FF that you don't even need to consider the parallels between Sephiroth and Kefka both ascending to godhood and looking like an angry angel while a kickass theme plays in the background.

Just put good FF music in with a good FF character. There's nothing weird or off base about that.
I'd agree if it was a general FF character that is used across all its games, like a Moogle, but the DLC is clearly about Sephiroth, and FF7, since the logo corrected itself to reflect that at the end.

I'm not saying Dancing Mad is a bad song, just that is doesn't relate at all to the DLC in question (to me at least).

I'll also preempt by saying that Joker is the exception, and P3 and P4 songs got included because the stage itself changed to represent the other Persona games.

Sephiroth DLC in its entirety, from himself to his stage, is strictly FF7.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I woulda said Nightmare had a shot before Sephiroth showed up. But two evil giant swordsmen in the same pass seems a bit much.

I'd agree if it was a general FF character that is used across all its games, like a Moogle, but the DLC is clearly about Sephiroth, and FF7, since the logo corrected itself to reflect that at the end.
I mean...Joker got music from Persona games he's not in. I don't see how this is any different.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I mean...Joker got music from Persona games he's not in. I don't see how this is any different.
I already preemptively addressed this 2 posts above yours.

Whatever happens on Friday, happens. I could be wrong, or not. Who knows? We can only wait and see.

All I'm saying is, as this was how the entire discussion started, if we can only get 2 songs, they should both be from FF7, not another entry.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
TBH I think people are getting too easily offended by mere terms.

"Fan rule" is a term I usually see used for anything people use to prematurely rule out characters (or at least claim that said characters are extremely unlikely before generously reminding us that anything is possible). People could use "speculation" instead of "fan rule", but that doesn't really change anything aside from sparing other's feelings I guess.

Personally, I don't care what it's called. If I see a generally accepted "speculation" that's said day after day after day by numerous users in this thread, and then that "speculation" ends up being wrong, then yeah, I'd probably bring attention to it because that feels pretty noteworthy to me. Something that was deemed unlikely happened anyway.

But I don't know. They're just words to me.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Totally random final 3 prediction that may or may not be outdated soon when I change my mind.
March: Monster Hunter
June: Jonesy
September: Crash Bandicoot
December: Sakurai: "We had time for one more character."

I.D.

Smash Lord
TBH I think people are getting too easily offended by mere terms.

"Fan rule" is a term I usually see used for anything people use to prematurely rule out characters (or at least claim that said characters are extremely unlikely before generously reminding us that anything is possible). People could use "speculation" instead of "fan rule", but that doesn't really change anything aside from sparing other's feelings I guess.

Personally, I don't care what it's called. If I see a generally accepted "speculation" that's said day after day after day by numerous users in this thread, and then that "speculation" ends up being wrong, then yeah, I'd probably bring attention to it because that feels pretty noteworthy to me. Something that was deemed unlikely happened anyway.

But I don't know. They're just words to me.
It's not "speculation" at large, it's the gatdamn precedent that people are always so obsessed about. Precedent is an absolutely horrible metric for smash predictions because smash isn't a damn hard science. According to precedent every single character we've gotten this year (other than maybe Steve) was something that Nintendo was supposedly unlikely to pick. And yet 3 out of 4 characters were these unlikely picks. So, were they unlikely in the first place, or did people just decide that they were?

How's this for precedent: precedent suggests that smash predictions based on precedent almost always lead you to the wrong answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom