• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My only problem with such personal victory screens is that Joker's allies do not appear in his victory screen at all (It'd be cool to see them jump into the Morgana truck)...

... Buuuut it's fully understandable why that's not the case, because that would probably be hellish and costly to animate properly.
They could appear in the running screens since I think that's how it works in Persona 5. Joker just kinda leaves them behind. lol

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I see it as bad mouthing in general. They may do wrong, but you're not any better by constantly bringing it up and stirring the pot. That's essentially what it is. You're stirring the pot and increasing the problem.

This has happened before in the Smash fandom. Geno's subset wasn't the first. They won't be the last. The K Rool fanbase and Ridley fanbases both have dealt with this and should if ever Geno gets in? That intense blinding and something overly passionate fighting that leads to problems will just travel to another character like Isaac or Waluigi.

When you have a group that so feverishly wants a character things are gonna get blind and intense. Then the people who have to constantly remind them of every little thing ''wrong" with them? Those people increase the problem too. They are part of it. You stir the pot. You make that fire inside of them grow and they rage out more and act out more.

It's just human nature. So yeah you talk badly about a group you're not any better than the group.

And calling a group a ''cult" is definitely derogatory.
This is the first time I've touched on it here in months. I don't consistently bring it up, or raise is apropos of nothing.

Seeing something you believe to be problematic and never talking about for fear of making it worse assures that it won't get better. That's literally how detrimental power structures maintain themselves. Staying silent is not a recipe for progress, and if people believe progress is needed, some form of action is necessitated. Even if that's just making your voice heard.

If you disagree over the severity of the offending topic, that's your prerogative, as it is mine to hold my opinion.

But I've modded those threads you've spoken on. I've been here basically as long as you. And while all threads that reach a certain size become bloated and unwieldy and beset with problems, I see a distinction in how those past ones have played out and how the Geno thread operates and is handled. And many people agree, which itself is objective fact. Not a lot of people speak on it at this point, nor do I, nor was I planning to, but it doesn't make it less true.

This is increasing the problem because it increases the friction and the schism between that thread and all the others. But it's not like saying nothing solves the problem. If it did you'd never hear me mention it again. As it is now, my highly infrequent delving into the topic doesn't move the needle much either way in the grand scheme of things. My speaking won't instantly solve things, but if it helps bring light to peoples' dissent being deleted and maybe even aids mitigate that in the future, it was still worth doing.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Actually the Geno thread has been pretty lax for a good while, only a small minority of users tend to rage and stuff, and people disagree over different theories and stuff a lot, just like in this thread.

It doesn’t help that, in the past, people have sometimes demeaned Geno supporters over videogame speculation and stuff of all things (even when polite about it), or have grouped us all together for the bad behavior of a few. And when some people do start acting out but have tried staying respectful (not even meeting the rage and insulting level yet), instead of trying to get them to calm down and understand stuff, the behavior is perpetrated with the person(s) being treated badly or like dumb outcasts, only causing them to get madder and be less understanding and wanting to avoid this thread or whatever even more. Like the dumb as heck “cultist” comments that did not help at all.

and sometimes it felt like no one actually cared about things getting better, and sometimes this thread did the same things people bothered Geno fans for, but oh well whatever I guess idk

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Actually the Geno thread has been pretty lax for a good while, only a small minority of users tend to rage and stuff, and people disagree over different theories and stuff a lot, just like in this thread.

It doesn’t help that, in the past, people have sometimes demeaned Geno supporters over videogame speculation and stuff of all things (even when polite about it), or have grouped us all together for the bad behavior of a few. And when some people do start acting out but have tried staying respectful (not even meeting the rage and insulting level yet), instead of trying to get them to calm down and understand stuff, the behavior is perpetrated with the person(s) being treated badly or like dumb outcasts, only causing them to get madder and be less understanding and wanting to avoid this thread or whatever even more. Like the dumb as heck “cultist” comments that did not help at all.

and sometimes it felt like no one actually cared about things getting better, and sometimes this thread did the same things people bothered Geno fans for, but oh well whatever I guess idk
Just because I believe there are some systemic problems in that thread and with how its handled, doesn't mean I believe every Geno supporter is guilty of getting it to that point, or enforcing its current state.

It would be wrong to generalize the fanbase. There are great, upstanding supporters, and there are the more troubling ideologues. There's a mix, as there always will be. I speak more on the effects of what has and has not been permitted within its confines.

Also, didn't the thread just get locked for like a day? That's not usually an auspicious sign.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't know exactly how it started, but from what I've seen the thing about the Geno thread is that we've reached the point of mutual animosity and neither side wants to back down. The newcomer thread has developed the stereotype that the Geno thread is a bunch of fanatics who believe everything involves Geno (We've all seen the "cult" insults). One the other hand, it seems that the Geno thread sees the newcomer thread as a bunch of killjoys who go out of their way to ignore any of Geno's merits (I seem to recall someone calling this thread a "fart chamber" once).

Long story short, it's a mess and we've been putting off the cleaning for too long. Maybe it's different for you, but the way I see it, it's just a wooden puppet from a video game who may or may not get into a big crossover video game. Nothing worth such aggression and animosity. I just wish we could drop it and not constantly be at each other's throats.

That'd be nice.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As someone who's' active in this speculation and Geno threads, I figured I'd add my two cents.

I think part of the issue is there are times both places would benefit from some communication to avoid misunderstandings about particular issues and times when they very much should remain separate given how heated people in both get (with some kind of powder keg often being lit and inflaming things).

Basically generalizations about anyone can really escalate existing tensions and the tendency to get frustrated and utter some particular statement when blowing off steam because of what the other side has done is understandable but often lamentable given what it can then cause.

If Geno is revealed as a DLC costume which I (and to be clear I am only speaking for myself here) believe to be the case, I hope things can simmer down and the temptation to paint each other with a broad brush will somewhat go away.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Just because I believe there are some systemic problems in that thread and with how its handled, doesn't mean I believe every Geno supporter is guilty of getting it to that point, or enforcing its current state.

It would be wrong to generalize the fanbase. There are great, upstanding supporters, and there are the more troubling ideologues. There's a mix, as there always will be. I speak more on the effects of what has and has not been permitted within its confines.

Also, didn't the thread just get locked for like a day? That's not usually an auspicious sign.
It was locked for what was 10% or less of the thread’s activity; only a couple or so users were causing issues, the rest were trying to carry on and discuss things. Also probably for stuff only a couple or so users would often do as well, not entirely sure.

And I know some users sometimes take things too far and stuff in there, and yes like you said there’s many good people both in there and in here, with some bad mixed in.

I guess I just felt like saying something because, looking back on the past between this thread and the Geno thread, a lot of stuff seemed dumb and unnecessary, tbh including actions of mine even if I tried to stay respectful and was doing/saying things out of hoping things could stay civil, and I didn’t understand some stuff.

Also I never understood why people sometimes got onto others for simple theories/speculation and stuff etc., which I felt is part of why the threads started being mad at each other in the first place since things only really started getting bad when people would target a specific member and no one bothered fully explaining and giving evidence as to why, with some stuff going ignored and no one bothering to understand the other side (which I may have been at fault for too though I understand some of it now even if the aggression felt unnecessary).

I think Cacomallow had something to do with it at some point too; like yeah it was likely fake and definitely is now but come on was it really necessary to berate those even simply for humoring it I mean it’s just a dumb videogame “leak,” nothing we do in here is useful for actually figuring out additions etc. anyway it’s all for fun social activity ;-;

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't know exactly how it started, but from what I've seen the thing about the Geno thread is that we've reached the point of mutual animosity and neither side wants to back down. The newcomer thread has developed the stereotype that the Geno thread is a bunch of fanatics who believe everything involves Geno (We've all seen the "cult" insults). One the other hand, it seems that the Geno thread sees the newcomer thread as a bunch of killjoys who go out of their way to ignore any of Geno's merits (I seem to recall someone calling this thread a "fart chamber" once).

Long story short, it's a mess and we've been putting off the cleaning for too long. Maybe it's different for you, but the way I see it, it's just a wooden puppet from a video game who may or may not get into a big crossover video game. Nothing worth such aggression and animosity. I just wish we could drop it and not constantly be at each other's throats.

That'd be nice.
agreed. as a Neku supporter I took that L with Sephiroth's reveal, i just hope he comes with TWEWY music and/or a Neku mii

i just don't like this whole animosity going on

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Oh nothing, I just think it's funny that Byleth's solution to getting beat up by a bunch of other sword users was to have a sex change since that wouldn't really solve anything in this case, unless they were planning to win people over with the power of the feminine figure, which I find just as amusing.

I think the idea was that the two forms were technically different entities, so it would make sense in that way, but without that context it just seems funny to me.
Unfortunatly for her, Male Byleth is the one with a Dimitri and Claude alt sooooo.. Sorry Girl lol

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'd say pretty much every character's base of supporters has just about the same ratio of reasonable people to the nutters. Nutters tend to be loud and distruptive, unlike reasonable people. So characters with larger overall bases of supporters have more reasonable people, but also and much more noticeably, more nutters, and thus seem louder and more distruptive.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Unfortunatly for her, Male Byleth is the one with a Dimitri and Claude alt sooooo.. Sorry Girl lol
More reasons why Super Smash Bros. should have a pallet swap maker. One that allows you to color all of the main areas of a character. For example, Mario has color options for:
  • Skin
  • Eyes
  • Hair
  • Mustache
  • Hat
    • Hat Emblem Border
    • Hat Emblem
  • Shirt
  • Gloves
  • Overalls
    • Buttons
  • Shoes
Rights holder stipulations on color could be incorporated as well by setting restrictions on what colors you can use. For example, there don't seem to be any on Mario, so the only color restrictions on him would be that his skin would only allow you to pick actual skin tones for it, whereas Cloud would only allow you to use muted colors on his outfit, and PAC-Man's body would not be an option (but you could color his gloves and boots...or just his arm bands and boot flairs).

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
More reasons why Super Smash Bros. should have a pallet swap maker. One that allows you to color all of the main areas of a character. For example, Mario has color options for:
  • Skin
  • Eyes
  • Hair
  • Mustache
  • Hat
    • Hat Emblem Border
    • Hat Emblem
  • Shirt
  • Gloves
  • Overalls
    • Buttons
  • Shoes
Rights holder stipulations on color could be incorporated as well by setting restrictions on what colors you can use. For example, there don't seem to be any on Mario, so the only color restrictions on him would be that his skin would only allow you to pick actual skin tones for it, whereas Cloud would only allow you to use muted colors on his outfit, and PAC-Man's body would not be an option (but you could color his gloves and boots...or just his arm bands and boot flairs).
Disgea 5 had a color changer you couod use once you passed the bill.to do so that allowed you to change the hair skin and clothing to whever you wanted. I made Christo dark skinned that way lol

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I really feel like Cloud was held hostage for Smash unless they put Sephiroth in. It would explain the complete lack of FF content at launch. Because they wanted to hold off on the DLC.
If true, that's some grade A scumminess let me tell you. :laugh: Imagine if the content is lacking on the 17th.
I think there are a couple of things lining up for Eggman, there's the Sonic movie that released earlier this year and there's the supposed hugely planned 30th anniversary of Sonic being planned next year. It's no guarantee by any means but in terms of timing the good doctor has some things that benefit him to be chosen.
It'd be great to see. I honestly never thought he was a possibility until this point, but I'm definately not holding my breath.
Yeah, this kinda stuff happens a lot. As a few people have realized now, we have a tendency to bolt towards similar characters after every reveal. After Min Min, it was recent Nintendo characters like Rex. After Steve, it was big, recent third-parties like Jonesy. Now, after Sephiroth, it's non-protagonists from already-represented third-parties.

It's not just for singular characters, either. Remember when we were afraid FP2 would just be 2010's characters after Min Min and Steve? And now we've moved onto legendary, big-budget jaw-droppers because of Steve and Sephiroth. Next we're gonna get someone like Reimu and then the rest of the pass will be characters you'd see in old Brawl mods or something like that.

On second thought, probably not. By CP9 I think we'll have progressed enough that the only patterns that could be held up are already-existing ones. We'll have four characters that either follow a pattern or are all over the place.
I just want to make it clear that I don't believe Eggman will actually make it now that Sephiroth is in, just that I personally think he SHOULD be in.

I also definately don't want to downplay Sephiroth. I just think based on popularity and public awareness Eggman ought to have been first, but Sephiroth would've been right after that IMHO.

Last edited:
venomthebest venomthebest The real problem with M theory is that it depends on Japanese corporate people picking characters based on the actions of an American editor in response to rules on an American rating system, or conversely that the American editor (or somebody at Nintendo of America) is privy to the entirety of Fighters Pass 2, which we know is kept on a need to know basis.

The most likely implications of logos being removed from the DLC fighter screen is that Nintendo of America wanted to dodge any potential issues with the ESRB and removed the logos just in case it would be needed down the line. They also needed to remove logos earlier because of Joker and Persona 5, so there's consistency to be taken into account.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There is banana in Sephiroth's hair.

Anyway, remember the "distance demon"? Think of any more characters with distance fighting as a main feature?
Reimu, cause bullet hell and stuff

I've never actually played Touhou but i watched a few videos and I can see that translating to distanced attacks

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Reimu, cause bullet hell and stuff

I've never actually played Touhou but i watched a few videos and I can see that translating to distanced attacks
I feel like Reimu would be more built around survivability than "lol 50-mile vibecheck." Touhou as a whole is usually built around dodging projectiles, and Reimu's abilities and status in the lore are pretty defensive in nature. I'd imagine her playstyle would be more about dodging attacks and creating projectile walls than just smacking you from a distance.

One thing that I think separates the "distance demons" from the standard zoners is the offensive capabilities. Byleth and Min Min have some hard-hitting attacks on top of their range, notably the attacks with Areadbhar and the Megawatt, and I'd imagine Sephiroth's Masamune would work the same way. In addition, they're also melee attacks, so the range stands out more than a simple projectile would. Reimu feels like she'd be closer to Mega Man than any of the "distance demon" DLC characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think they mean that the Sonic series isn't popular in Japan, though I have no idea how accurate that is. (maybe it's relative to the series' popularity outside of Japan?)
I always felt like Sonic wasn't necessarily unpopular in Japan, just that it was way more popular in the West

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
no he isnt it says, newcomers. those characters weren't new. some of those characters didn't even have unique special moves.
they s
There is banana in Sephiroth's hair.

Anyway, remember the "distance demon"? Think of any more characters with distance fighting as a main feature?
Sakurai: Unfortunately, we have reached the most distant demon in the medium of video games. I will bend the rules to acchieve maximum distance demon.

she can grab you from the opposite blastzone

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Is he actually unpopular?

He's in practically every Sonic game.
Sonic the series is a lot less popular in Japan.

But something to keep in mind is that Sonic the character was still the number one requested character on the Brawl poll, which was a poll conducted exclusively in Japan.

So it's less popular there, but it's not so unpopular as to just be a western thing.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Bandana Dee is coming and he’s out for revenge
I'm not sure they'd make range his selling point since he's so tiny. Even with the extendo spear he probably wouldn't be able to hit you from almost halfway across Final Destination like Min Min, Byleth, and Sephiroth can.

Wouldn't make his hitboxes any less stupid though. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom