• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I feel like GLaDOS would be more in line with being an actual stage, with either Chell or Atlas/P-body as the fighter.

Actually a GLaDOS stage would be pretty amazing, she could morph the stage into "puzzles" and have character-specific dialog lines where she insults the various fighters. I'm a little sad that isn't a thing now.

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like GLaDOS would be more in line with being an actual stage, with either Chell or Atlas/P-body as the fighter.

Actually a GLaDOS stage would be pretty amazing, she could morph the stage into "puzzles" and have character-specific dialog lines where she insults the various fighters. I'm a little sad that isn't a thing now.
As amazing as that'd be, we'd eventually hit the snag we have with Palutena's Guidance in where none of the DLC have any lines.

toonito

Smash Ace
I think the problem is that 1-on-1 facing only really exists on 1v1 battles, so back-forward motions might get a bit awkward when we take free-for-alls into account.

Chun-Li's pretty good on her own, but she debuted in Street Fighter II and that game is represented pretty well. Maybe she could work for a general pack, but I'm not sure it would fit as well.
that's fair i forgot about free-for-alls

I think if Chun-Li ever debuts she could bring her own stage as well as music from SF Alpha, III, IV and/or V since Ryu would probably have II covered.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I like Sephiroth but I don’t want multiple characters from the same franchise to become the norm. I think the one I could see is Sonic, and MAYBE Metal Gear with Raiden, but even then I would love for them to bring more franchises into the fold.

I’m overhyped for Sephiroth don’t get me wrong but I would have been just as hype for someone like 2B or Lara Croft. With Sega I wouldn’t be all that hyped for anyone aside from Eggman but even then I’d prefer to see Arle or Kiryu. With Metal Gear, yeah I would love to see Raiden but I would love it even more if Contra, Silent Hill, or Bomberman got some representation. I guess y’all see my stance on this stuff. I’m glad Sephiroth is in because he’s just as iconic as the other villains in the game if not more, but I don’t want to see this constantly happen because I think Nintendo exploring more franchises interests me way more.

Still, I’m over the moon for Sephiroth and I think he’ll be incredibly fun.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm honestly still surprised how fast Sephiroth feels to be coming out, especially after how long and drawn out Min Min and Steve both felt. Though, at least by now it seems that the team are more or less in 100% working order, even if they're having to work from home. Like, maybe I'm just crazy, but it's hard to believe that its already been 2 months since Steve came out, and we're about to have not only a new character, but ****ing Sephiroth.

Now, granted, I don't expect the next character until March, due to the next wave of Amiibo launching then, but it's just crazy how we went from these massive gaps, to barely over 2 months.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I'm honestly still surprised how fast Sephiroth feels to be coming out, especially after how long and drawn out Min Min and Steve both felt. Though, at least by now it seems that the team are more or less in 100% working order, even if they're having to work from home. Like, maybe I'm just crazy, but it's hard to believe that its already been 2 months since Steve came out, and we're about to have not only a new character, but ****ing Sephiroth.

Now, granted, I don't expect the next character until March, due to the next wave of Amiibo launching then, but it's just crazy how we went from these massive gaps, to barely over 2 months.
I, on the other hand, can't help but dread another pair of droughts. Last time there weren't any real delays around, yet Byleth barely came before the deadline was reached. Sephiroth coming this months feels like a miracle.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

I think it's a combination of the pandemic and Min Min and Steve being absolute butts to program. Now that the complicated as all get-go characters are out of the way, more down to earth characters like Sephiroth (I can't believe I'm saying that) might be coming out sooner than we expect because the team is comfortable with the work at home environment now.

Shroob

Sup?
I, on the other hand, can't help but dread another pair of droughts. Last time there weren't any real delays around, yet Byleth barely came before the deadline was reached. Sephiroth coming this months feels like a miracle.
I feel like you're being a bit too pessimistic. There's only 3 characters left, and March and either June or July feel like almost assured locks. Where CP11 will fall is yet to be determined, but we'll probably have time to spare before December.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
What are your top 3 reveal trailers?
For me:

#1 Min Min for its awesome build up, pacing, humor, editing, music cues, stylized CGI, "plot"... its all there and its all so good.

#2 Bowser Jr. still has the most epic reveal trailer to me. Sephiroth's was cool but I felt more of a genuine "struggle" in Bowser Jr's. And just when the team thinks it can't get any worse, in comes the Koopalings. Its so damn epic man.

#3 Roy might sound like an odd pick but its the only Smash reveal to this day that has gotten me to laugh out loud. It's such clever usage of gameplay only footage. You can tell the devs had a crazy ass fun time making it. Its the most "fun" Smash reveal in my opinion.

What about you?

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
For me:

#1 Min Min for its awesome build up, pacing, humor, editing, music cues, stylized CGI, "plot"... its all there and its all so good.

#2 Bowser Jr. still has the most epic reveal trailer to me. Sephiroth's was cool but I felt more of a genuine "struggle" in Bowser Jr's. And just when the team thinks it can't get any worse, in comes the Koopalings. Its so damn epic man.

#3 Roy might sound like an odd pick but its the only Smash reveal to this day that has gotten me to laugh out loud. It's such clever usage of gameplay only footage. You can tell the devs had a crazy ass fun time making it.

What about you?
  1. Sephiroth Descends into Battle!
  2. Ridley Hits the Big Time!
  3. Piranha Plant Pipes Up!

D

Deleted member

For me:

#3 Roy might sound like an odd pick but its the only Smash reveal to this day that has gotten me to laugh out loud. It's such clever usage of gameplay only footage. You can tell the devs had a crazy ass fun time making it.

What about you?
This is just Ultimate, as I really wasn't there for Smash 4 speculation.

1. :ultsteve:: No explanation needed.

2. :ultjoker:: Just the sheer surprise of this, and the hype of Ultimate really brought this trailer up for me. It was nice to see a lot of my friends extremely excited about this reveal too. Truly a fantastic start to Ultimate, and its DLC.

3. :ultsephiroth:: I haven't even played Final Fantasy VII, and goodness. That trailer was amazing. The slicing of Galeem, One Winged Angel, and the dynamic between Cloud and Sephiroth was fantastic. It made me appreciate Cloud and Sephiroth more as a character.

Last edited by a moderator:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
For me:

#3 Roy might sound like an odd pick but its the only Smash reveal to this day that has gotten me to laugh out loud. It's such clever usage of gameplay only footage. You can tell the devs had a crazy ass fun time making it. Its the most "fun" Smash reveal in my opinion.

What about you?
#1 Banjo
Most wanted since Melee, loved the repeat of the K Rool trailer with the other Rare characters, seeing K Rool mirror Grunty falling into the ground like the end of Kazooie was great, just everything about it.

#2 Sephiroth
That was one insane trailer. The first couple notes of One Winged Angel gave me goosebumps and I knew immediately. The Mario sword fake-out was great, the CG action scenes were amazing. Seeing Banjo in CG again was surreal. Everything about it was phenomenal.

#3 Terry
I honestly haven't played too much SNK but the throwback intro from King of Fighters but with the Smash letter in the same graphic style and all the characters fighting over the invitation letter was so great. Such a cool trailer.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
For me:

What about you?
1 - Sephiroth: It had great visuals and It utilized the character, series and Smash Brothers quite well
2 - Robin and Lucina: Lucina was my most wanted in Sm4sh and the whole thing was just cool.
3 - Min Min: It had great style and was just a well constructed trailer.

Honorable Mentions: Steve, Terry, Isabelle, Hero

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
For me:

What about you?
If we're talkin' from Smash 4 and Ultimate, my list goes like this.

1. Bayonetta/Joker (tied for the first spot because they were both characters i had been wanting for a long time and seeing them actually get revealed took me to levels of hype I didn't even know I could achieve)
2. Sephiroth (felt like a reveal on the same level as Cloud only better because he got a whole CG trailer that even recreated some scenes from Advent Children while Cloud got all in-game footage that started with him just walking onto Midgar like "yep I'm here!!"
3. Hero (Dragon Quest is cool as hell and I loved the way his trailer played out, plus there were the Erdrick bets going on at the same time so seeing I was right all along made me happy)

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
For me:

What about you?
#1 Sephiroth: I loved it. He was unexpected, and the buildup to him was perfect. It looks like his trailer had tons of budget, and they went all out with it (even in terms of cameos). I like the game and character too so... it's a win! For me Cloud was the biggest bombshell of Smash 4 so Sephiroth becoming the biggest bombshell this time is fitting.

#2 Terry: I ain't a huge SNK fan, but I was still familiar with KoF. That said, I thought the stylized graphics and the humor were great. Sadly Terry got leaked beforehand but I still loved the reveal.

#3 Hero: While I am not the biggest fan of DQ, I still like the series a lot (5, 8, 9, and 11 in particular). I thought Hero's trailer was great and the fact that it had the alts was amazing. It just felt like a good introduction to the character.

In Smash 4 I really only liked Shulk/Mega Man/Robin reveals, none of the others did it for me (I don't count DLC's because they didn't have CG trailers). If we count Subspace, I still think Sonic's appearance right at the end is great.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
For me:

What about you?
As little baby who wasn't around for the SSB4 cycle, I'm left with the SSBU ones. That being said, we got some darn good ones.
  1. :ultsephiroth: was the peak. Amazing animation, high-octane action, the sheer audacity of the character at hand, this one was great.
  2. :ultridley: is a close second. Maybe it's because I was fresher and more impressionable, but the moment of "MARIO AND MEGA MAN ARE %$#@ING DEAD" was really memorable for me.
  3. :ult_terry: was probably the funniest. The bait-and-switch formula wasn't overused, the usage of the sprites were clever, and Geese falling off the tower and dying is never not funny.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I Missed the Chun-Li Discussion, But All I will say is that I Don't think she will be in this Pass because

-Street Fighter already got a 2nd Character. Granted Ken was only an echo, but it Still something to consider
-Min-Min is already in the Game, and her Jab uses Chun-Li's Multi Kick special
-Capcom has very stiff competition as is
-Chun Li is Very Overplayed in terms of Fighting games. It be more fresh to see how Smash takes it's approach toward any of the secondary sonic Characters, or Sephiroth, or Raiden, or Alucard, even if most of them have been in Fighting games, than it would Chun-Li since Chun-Li is like in Every fighting game that Involves Street Fighter

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
For me:

What about you?
In no particular order:

:ultsephiroth: Maybe it's recency bias, but damn this trailer is well done. The build up to that infamous theme where you just immediately know who it is, which includes but is not limited to Sephiroth just casually obliterating Galeem, and then the accompanying action sequences that are a big reference to Advent Children were just awesome. Oh and Mario almost died so that was something.

:ult_terry: This trailer was just a big love letter to SNK's history and it was incredible. A pretty cool concept, featuring a bunch of SNK's most prominent fighting game characters just competing to get the Smash invite through the usage of their sprites, as if they were fighting inside the Neo Geo itself. Ending it with Terry getting transitioned into a full 3D model was a nice way to cap it off.

:ultsonic: Sonic's trailer... isn't exactly the greatest compared to the trailers from 4/Ultimate in terms of production I'll admit. But the context here is important: young 2007 me getting ready for school, checking the Dojo when I'm eating breakfast... and then just seeing Sonic the ****ing Hedgehog was an insane sequence of events. Seeing Sonic fight a bunch of Nintendo characters for the first time while Live and Learn blared in the background was peak hype.

D

Deleted member

I Missed the Chun-Li Discussion, But All I will say is that I Don't think she will be in this Pass because

-Street Fighter already got a 2nd Character. Granted Ken was only an echo, but it Still something to consider
-Chun Li is Very Overplayed in terms of Fighting games. It be more fresh to see how Smash takes it's approach toward any of the secondary sonic Characters, or Sephiroth, or Raiden, or Alucard, even if most of them have been in Fighting games, than it would Chun-Li since Chun-Li is like in Every fighting game that Involves Street Fighter
Is this satire?

PacificFun

Smash Ace

-FF7 got a 2nd character.
-Chun-Li's kicks are definitely more personalized.
-We got a lot of swordsman. Why not more fighting game characters?
-Sephiroth also had stiff competition. He got in over Lara Croft for crying out loud.
-This is the biggest video game crossover ever. I don't think that's important in this context.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It seems like he has a gimmick involving his wing. Wait for a while before we can officially confirm that FP2 characters don't need to be gimmicky.
An install giving access to some new moves is still more down to earth compared to Min Min's completely unique control scheme and Steve's mining

7NATOR

Smash Master
Is this satire?
No. These are my Legit Reasons why I don't think Chun-Li will get in

Granted the last point is not really a Real Reason Against her. Chun-Li is Cool, but I'm wouldn't be interested in her as much as Something like Another Sonic Character, or Sephiroth (who we are currently getting) since Chun-Li is usually in fighting games with mostly the Same Special Moves for over 2 Decades. they do some cool stuff like the Shadow Lady Alt in MVC1 for example. It's more personal Though.

-FF7 got a 2nd character.
-Chun-Li's kicks are definitely more personalized.
-We got a lot of swordsman. Why not more fighting game characters?
-Sephiroth also had stiff competition. He got in over Lara Croft for crying out loud.
-This is the biggest video game crossover ever. I don't think that's important in this context.
-Street Fighter Got Ken in this Game though. I don't know if they'll add a 3rd in this fighter Pass to be honest. But i did mention Ken was an echo because that's something to consider. Fire Emblem got Chrom in Base, than Byleth in FP1. Granted Fire Emblem is 1st Party, but yes

-It's not just the kicks, it's also Kind of the Aesthetic, with both having a lot of Chinese Influence and stuff.

-Fighting Game Genre characters aren't as Wide of a Subject as Swordmen. Swordman come from Different Genres and games and such, and have widely different Abilities. Granted Fighting game characters are the same in that they all have different abilities, but in terms of Mechanics, as we can see with Terry compared to Ryu/Ken, while Terry does have alot of unique mechanics, there are shared stuff

When It Comes to Chun-Li, since Ryu is already in the game, I think it be alot of Re-threading at least on the Base Mechanics. I guess Chun-Li could have V-Triggers or something like that, But besides that I don't know

-Sephiroth did have stiff competition, but I Imagine Capcom's is more stiffer than Square.

-It probably doesn't matter, you're right about this one

D

Deleted member

Hypest reveal for me had to be the Dark Pit tease at the end of Palutena's trailer because I was one of the 2 people on this planet who actually wanted him. Joker's was cool too although I knew it was Smash almost instantly. And in hindsight, Robin/Lucina's dual reveal was way too funny not to love, especially since any hard feelings Chrom and his fans had have been rectified with Ultimate.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Min-Min is already in the Game, and her Jab uses Chun-Li's Multi Kick special
You know hers works different right?

And that she has lots of other iconic moves right?

And that Fox has used that animation since Melee?

This argument in particular hurts my brain.

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice
I still think Geno is likely even with Sephiroth coming as our 3rd square rep. Honestly, I feel like Nintendo would consider him more of a Mario rep. Here’s hoping we don’t get a Geno Mii costume reveal in the upcoming “Mr. Sakurai Presents!”

Other predictions are Rex/Pyra, and some sort of Pokemon from SwSh.

ZelDan

Smash Master
:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultmegaman: Are still my favorite reveals to this day.

:ultsimon: could have been up there maybe though if Nintendo didn't goof up, and perhaps :ultsephiroth:could have maybe been as well if HIS REVEAL TRAILER DIDN'T HAPPEN AS I WAS HAVING DINNER AND I LEARNED HE MADE IT IN VIA A THREAD TITLE FFS.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
For me:

What about you?
1. :ultsteve: - [insert Best Day Ever song from SpingeBob] Very, very happy, cried a little during the reveal. It was cool, kinda funny, and he was (and still is) awesome, and the twist of Zombie and Endermen being in was cool (Alex was also cool, just expected).

2.:ultbanjokazooie: - Another most-wanted of mine who have been with me longer than Steve, and are up there with him and others as favorite characters of mine. While I saw the rumors beforehand and wasn’t as surprised (although Hero getting revealed first helped get some surprise back since I forgot there could be a second reveal), I was still very hyped and happy to see them, with them returning in an epic animation nonetheless.

3. tbh idk. Maybe K. Rool, Duck Hunt, or Sephiroth. I like most of the characters (really just about all of them though there are a few I’m neutral on like Bayonetta), and like just about all the trailers, so idk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom