• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah Chun-Li is really being sleeped on considering that whenever there is a SF crossover, she is usually included alongside Ryu.
I think she's being slept on mainly because we already got a SF character in Ultimate(even if it was an Echo).

Chun-Li is Capcom's number two for crossovers.

You think they'd skip out on her if she was an option?
Over getting another game repped? Yeah.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I think Eggman is a cool character and would probably be cool in Smash (and I am not trying to say anybody can’t talk about him, it’s refreshing) I do think it bears repeating that the circumstances around Sephiroth may very well have no effect on another pick.

I absolutely think Sephiroth being among the most iconic gaming villains had something to do with his inclusion, and Eggman can fit that same criteria like a glove. But if Sephiroth getting added was contingent on a very specific agreement based around DLC and Square Enix getting money while Cloud stayed in base game...I’m not sure that really boosts so many options, Eggman included.

That said, Eggman is a meme machine. I’m entirely fine with Eggman, but only if Sakurai said, “SnooPING AS usual I see?” In the presentation.

That is my only requirement.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Who's Dragon Knight?
From a quick search I can only assume either:
A. Someone from the series of the same name (which... it's adult themed fantasy games)
B. The character from DOTA 2

I'm guessing they meant neither? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I guess one of the biggest things Chun-Li has going for her is being basically a huge female icon in general. Like, maybe Samus is on her level but like usually if you think of a female videogame character Chun tends to be one of the first that come to mind.

Maybe Lara Croft is up there as well but i think Seph here slashed all hopes of additional SE content imma right Geno fans? :4pacman:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
You know it's funny. If you asked me about, say, a year ago, if I thought Chun would ever have a chance, I'd say "no, she has charge motions no way in hell they'd be able to implement her properly with Smash's control scheme."

Then Terry came around and shut me the **** up. And now we have a 2 unique characters from a 3rd party franchise.

Yeah, if she doesn't show up at some point down the line, I'll definitely be a bit confused.

Ivander

Smash Legend
You know, on the topic of villains, who exactly do we speculate after Eggman? Especially if some of the other big villains like Wily stay as Assists. Cause really, the only other villain who I think can reach close to Bowser/Eggman/Sephiroth levels of recognizability in terms of looks And music, and is not in an M-rated game, is GLADOS.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So I got to ask, What you guys Predicting now Post Sephiroth?
Hmm...

Nintendo - Mario
Fighter Pass 1 :ultpiranha: (Bonus Character)
Fighter Pass 2 Captain Toad (Nintendo List)

Sega - Atlus
Fighter Pass 1 :ultjoker: (Nintendo List)
Fighter Pass 2 Flynn from Shin Megami Tensei IV (Nintendo List)

Square Enix
Fighter Pass 1 :ulthero: (Nintendo List) :ulthero2: :ulthero3: (Nintendo List) :ulthero4:
Fighter Pass 2 :ultsephiroth: (Nintendo List)

Microsoft
Fighter Pass 1 :ultbanjokazooie: (Nintendo List)
Fighter Pass 2 :ultsteve: (Nintendo List)

SNK
Fighter Pass 1 :ult_terry: (Nintendo List)
Fighter Pass 2 Iori Yagami from The King of Fighters series (Sakurai Bias)

Nintendo - Too new for base game
Fighter Pass 1 :ultbyleth::ultbylethf: (Nintendo List)
Fighter Pass 2 :ultminmin (Special Request)

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Take my word for it,

Dr. Eggman, Ghost, Liquid Snake, Father Balder, Dr. Wily, Geeze Howard, Gruntilda, Ysdabaloth whatever, Dragon Knight, Ender Dragon, Dracula, and M. Bison are all top tier speculation material now.
Liquid? If any Metal Gear character is next up it has to be Raiden? Has his own game, distinct look and fighting style from anyone on the roster, fairly popular. Or if you are looking for a Metal Gear villain, why not Big Boss?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Liquid? If any Metal Gear character is next up it has to be Raiden? Has his own game, distinct look and fighting style from anyone on the roster, fairly popular. Or if you are looking for a Metal Gear villain, why not Big Boss?
Only going by villains and Liquid Dnake appears from a game that, aside from music and spirits, is the only representative of the MGS. But yeah, Big Boss could work.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You know, on the topic of villains, who exactly do we speculate after Eggman?
Most of the villains I'd speculate for the series we have now are either:
11e. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
31e. Liquid Snake [Snake]
32e. Black Knight [Ike]
38e. Shadow [Sonic]
46e. Bass [Megaman]
64e. Octolings [Inklings]
or
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Bison, Geese or maybe Sigma, are the only ones I'd see as possible picks that would be unique playable characters.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know, on the topic of villains, who exactly do we speculate after Eggman? Especially if some of the other big villains like Wily stay as Assists. Cause really, the only other villain who I think can reach close to Bowser/Eggman/Sephiroth levels of recognizability in terms of looks And music, and is not in an M-rated game, is GLADOS.
Big villains with Bowser/Eggman/Sephiroth levels of recognizability and are not in M-rated games?

Team Rocket are pretty damn recognizable... especially if they are Jessie and James with Meowth, Ekans (or Arbok), and Koffing (or Weezing) instead of generic Grunts with Rattata, Sandshrew, and Zubat.

D

Deleted member

If we are getting a Street Fighter character, it is going to be Chun-Li for sure. Will she be in Ultimate? Honestly, very uncertain. But I would be quite happy with her.
Hey there. If you know me you know me. If you don't, take a look at my icon and you'll know who I've wanted for years.

Sephiroth is an awesome pick. Probably the best made trailer to date. Looks absolutely kino. Can't wait to play as the madman himself!
Long time no see, Luigi the President! I hope you are doing well!

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I love my Min Min but I will admit that Chun Li will be a better choice in the roster like Steve shouldn't been the first character to reveal in Fighterpass 2 than Chun Li will be second before Sephiroth. Cause Serphiroth is a villain and Square Enix the lack of FF7 content. Still no one won't expect Sephiroth coming. Nintendo are picking the characters overall.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
If Kid icarus stay relevant somehow I could definitely see Hades coming some day. Probably not for this dlc wave, but I think he have it's chance. Kamek is another vilain that is not discussed a lot but I think he's prominent enough to be featured as a playable fighter in the future. If Arms have a sequel and it's still popular maybe the could add Dr. Coyle or something for a Arms vilain. Zelda also have a lot of vilain to choose from so maybe something from that franchise like Skull kid. But yeah, none of them are even close to Bowser/Sephiroth/Ganon/Eggman recognazibality.

toonito

Smash Ace
You know it's funny. If you asked me about, say, a year ago, if I thought Chun would ever have a chance, I'd say "no, she has charge motions no way in hell they'd be able to implement her properly with Smash's control scheme."

Then Terry came around and shut me the **** up. And now we have a 2 unique characters from a 3rd party franchise.

Yeah, if she doesn't show up at some point down the line, I'll definitely be a bit confused.
Chun-Li uses both motion and charge inputs

Charge inputs are in Smash (Rising Tackle)

Now that I think of it I don't think charge moves would be all that difficult to implement (hold back then forward) unless they remove auto turnaround

Ken's my favorite SF character but I wouldn't be mad if he swapped out for Chun-Li in Smash alongside Ryu

I don't see her making it in Ultimate but I definitely think she'll be in Smash eventually

D

Deleted member

Everyone is talking about post-Ultimate, but honestly? I don't see us getting a new Smash game in close to eight years or more.
I love my Min Min but I will admit that Chun Li will be a better choice in the roster like Steve shouldn't been the first character to reveal in Fighterpass 2 than Chun Li will be second before Sephiroth. Cause Serphiroth is a villain and Square Enix the lack of FF7 content. Still no one won't expect Sephiroth coming. Nintendo are picking the characters overall.
I'm sorry, but I am struggling hard to read this.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Chun-Li uses both motion and charge inputs

Charge inputs are in Smash (Rising Tackle)

Now that I think of it I don't think charge moves would be all that difficult to implement (hold back then forward) unless they remove auto turnaround

Ken's my favorite SF character but I wouldn't be mad if he swapped out for Chun-Li in Smash alongside Ryu

I don't see her making it in Ultimate but I definitely think she'll be in Smash eventually
I think the problem is that 1-on-1 facing only really exists on 1v1 battles, so back-forward motions might get a bit awkward when we take free-for-alls into account.

Chun-Li's pretty good on her own, but she debuted in Street Fighter II and that game is represented pretty well. Maybe she could work for a general pack, but I'm not sure it would fit as well.

D

Deleted member

I see a lot of people hyping up Eggman, and he is a possibility, but let's not ignore Tails here.

He is known to be Sonic's double.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Team Rocket, anime or not, is pretty big.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Bowser, Ganondorf, Sephiroth, and Eggman are THE video game villains.

I can't really think of any other video game villains as iconic as those four.
Like I said, GLADOS is a big contender. She has the great and incredibly meme-y dialogue, she has the recognizable voice and music , "Still Alive", she has a very recognizable design.
She's connected to the Half-Life franchise which is one of the most well-known franchises, she's had her own LEGO set and been in a crossover with Batman, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, etc and even argued with HAL-9000. And practically everybody knows the phrase "The cake is a lie". And anybody who looked up the phrase would find GLADOS and her game Portal.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom