• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
i looked at twitter, an uncomfortable amount of people have no idea who this is. I've never played FF7, and I knew who this was the second the first note played.
Notwithstanding the remake, which did do well but seemed to get lost in the shuffle this year, FFVII is, what, almost 25 years old? I'm sure there are plenty of youngsters running about Twitter who have barely heard of Final Fantasy.

Also interesting to see the SSBU x FF as just FF, as Cloud's was specifically FF7. There might be a good chance we'll see more than just FF7 representation.
Would this be due to the same change that ties the rating of guest character's original games to Smash marketing? I remember a comparison of early and later Fighter's Pass 1 promo material where the logos for games were removed when Byleth was revealed.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Dharkon, rank opportunist as he was, didn't want anything to do with what was going on. Despite his entire game-plan being for Galeem to be weakened by others, he decided maybe this whole "corrupt reality" thing was gonna be a bit more trouble than it was worth, and went home. Maybe he read a book, or something.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I hope someone reads this post and it doesn't get overlooked in the hysteria.

I'm confused by the Geno thread, and nobody from there is answering my question. Almost everyone there called Square an incredibly stingy company, and many thought Hero was the nail in the coffin because there's no way Square would do more than one character. Now Seph is announced, and people think there's still a shot for Geno. I don't mind that at all, but is Square suddenly not stingy anymore? I don't get it.

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
Super hyped for Sephiroth! North Crater looks like a sweet stage. Hope we get more than 2 songs and that Shadow Flare isn't unfun to play against like it was in dissidia.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie, I thought it was going to be Hollow Knight challenging Galeem. Not upset at all, but damn, I really thought it was happening for a second.
Gonna pop off if Mando gets in Fortnite later so I can be kind of right about my meme post from a couple days ago
He's already in the game.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I'm confused by the Geno thread, and nobody from there is answering my question. Almost everyone there called Square an incredibly stingy company, and many thought Hero was the nail in the coffin because there's no way Square would do more than one character. Now Seph is announced, and people think there's still a shot for Geno. I don't mind that at all, but is Square suddenly not stingy anymore? I don't get it.
Aren't there some users in there who weren't there for Hero? And I believe some have changed their minds, or still don't think of Square too well. Plus a few seem to think Geno is disconfirmed now.

Personally I think Hero proved Square isn't too stingy. I believe Geno could still get in, but if his costume comes with Sephiroth then it's game over, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
One thing I wonder is what Sephiroth's spirit board will be like.

What would his stage be also? Never played the FF games.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

I'm guessing its just the fact that we now have 3 reps in so they're potentially more open than people expected, and thus the odds have increased

I.D.

Smash Lord
Rewatching the trailer, I'm continuing to be amazed that Smash's anime looking Cloud looks far better than Square's "realistic" Cloud

I wonder why, it's almost like he was designed with anime aesthetic in mind in the first place
ff7-cloud-portrait-young.jpg

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Square was never as stingy as people posited. Cloud came back and they added Hero, and Hero came with a fair (not great, but fair) amount of content. Sure they're no SNK, or even Capcom or Namco - I'm sure they're still not the easiest to collaborate with - but there's no reason to believe they weren't willing to play ball this whole time.

However, expecting another Square character at this point, when there are only three characters left, and two Square characters have already been DLC, doesn't make a lot of sense. Geno or anyone. Sure it's not impossible, and the Geno fanbase I guess will ride that to the bitter end (or probably just Sephiroth's showcase), but, to put it lightly, I wouldn't hold your breath for more for reasons completely apart from "stinginess".

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I hope we get a Sephiroth showcase soon.

I need more ASAP.
Me too.

They're still holding out hope I guess. In a way it's admirable, though I do expect they'll throw in the towel when the Geno costume is shown off during the Sakurai Presents.

I really do wonder how much we'll get here. Dragon Quest's music was what broke the bank, but Final Fantasy's problems were and still are all over the place.

D

Deleted member

Rewatching the trailer, I'm continuing to be amazed that Smash's anime looking Cloud looks far better than Square's "realistic" Cloud

I wonder why, it's almost like he was designed with anime aesthetic in mind in the first place
Sephiroth sliced the image in half, thus murdering it.

Last edited by a moderator:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Some musings on the trailer showing SSBU x FF.

It could be possible that the VII logo wasn't used because Amano owns all his logo designs. I don't, however, think that is likely, given that the logo was used for Cloud's reveal who had more music in his trailer then he did in his DLC pack and is also used on the SSBU website.

I'm leaning towards it being that we get some general FF series content in some form. I could be wrong, for all we know we aren't even getting that One Winged Angel remix in Smash. I guess another unfortunate possibility is that in game FFVII is getting relabelled as just FF.

Thankfully, the DLC releases this month so we won't have to wait too long. Now that I think about that, hopefully we get a Sakurai presentation soon that goes into detail on we get in the pack.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom