• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Would this be due to the same change that ties the rating of guest character's original games to Smash marketing? I remember a comparison of early and later Fighter's Pass 1 promo material where the logos for games were removed when Byleth was revealed.
Good point. Was the FF7 remake rated something other than Teen in some markets?

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
However, expecting another Square character at this point, when there are only three characters left, and two Square characters have already been DLC, doesn't make a lot of sense. Geno or anyone. Sure it's not impossible, and the Geno fanbase I guess will ride that to the bitter end (or probably just Sephiroth's showcase), but, to put it lightly, I wouldn't hold your breath for more for reasons completely apart from "stinginess".
That's if Geno gets past the mii costumes this time around, which I think finally gets put to rest soon.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Let's see...

Sephiroth is probably an objectively good choice: Iconic character from an iconic series, obvious move-set potential, from a company clearly on good terms with Nintendo, and able to generate a large amount of excitement, he seems to check all the boxes. Still, I have no strong connection to him or FFVII, so he's a middling pic, though I'm more excited for him than Steve at least. He seems like he'll bring a playstyle I'll enjoy and hopefully some good music.

I'd say where I'm most let down is in opportunity cost. I'm sure it seems an unlikely wish now, but with Sephiroth's addition I don't think a Bravely Default character is going to get in. No Mgrgrgr in Smash sadly...

Let's see if NoA puts out a tweet sharing when the Sephiroth showcase will be once TGA are over.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If this is serious, then I guess we'll have to wait for the next reveal to find out if Min Min was not only an exception, but also the exception because...
The bigger the net you cast, the likelier it is you reel things in. There are forty characters listed there, and it's impressive that most are accounted for, but even then not all are.

It's just a 4chan list and should be treated as such.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I mean, I get why people are upset it's another sword fighter, but like

It's arguably one of the most iconic video game villains of all ****ing time, and to add to that, it's our first villain DLC character outside of Piranha Plant
And the very first unique second rep for a third party franchise, ensuring once and for all that fan rules are total rubbish.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If this is serious, then I guess we'll have to wait for the next reveal to find out if Min Min was not only an exception, but also the exception because...
I mean, this fighter pass is 6 characters long and the first character was Minmin. It's possible they were the only addition to the list, and were considered "outside" the 5 characters picked per pass.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah Cloud vs. Sephiroth was in like every second video of Brawl mods back in "the day".

Cloud himself was the longest of long shots back then, but Sephiroth too? One, forget about it, and two, enjoy the dogpile for even suggesting as much.

It's crazy where we've ended up.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Good point. Was the FF7 remake rated something other than Teen in some markets?
Given Ultimate is E10+, a T rating might be enough to dissuade them if all that's required is a higher rating. I don't know from where this policy originates from though. It might just be an ESRB thing. What's the logo like in other regions?

Yeah Cloud vs. Sephiroth was in like every second video of Brawl mods back in "the day".

Cloud himself was the longest of long shots back then, but Sephiroth too? One, forget about it, and two, enjoy the dogpile for even suggesting as much.

It's crazy where we've ended up.
Ultimate is one step closer to Super Smash Brothers Infinite

Now if Sakurai would just add Marisa and Cirno...

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I had to manually hunt down this post of mine back from the Seven Square thread:
Also, as another comment in favour of Sephiroth, let's just think about this for a moment: for any reason we'll hear a song before the character and scenario pop up, now think about the huge crowd at TGAs and how they'd react:
*If they play a DQ song, chances are not many will recognize it.
*Same with Chrono Trigger.
*If they play Forest Maze or that song where Geno enters into the doll, many will rejoice.
*If they play any of the recognizable KH songs, chances are the crowd will scream of happiness.
*Now, imagine what would happen if they hear One Winged Angel instead. People are gonna lose their minds.
It's such an odd turn of events to think two years later this was exactly what happened. As for Seph himself, I'm more than satisfied with his inclusion.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Any fellow patternGODS willing to share what the theme of this pass is? I could tell you myself of course but I want to test you

D

Deleted member

Not gonna lie, I thought it was going to be Hollow Knight challenging Galeem. Not upset at all, but damn, I really thought it was happening for a second.

He's already in the game.
You can tell how much I know about Fortnite by that lol

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Let's just think about the Ganondorf + Sephiroth team-up vs. Link and Cloud. That's just the next level of 90's fan wish fulfilment, which is AWESOME!
I wanna see an epic four on four battle

Mario/Link/Cloud/Pikachu vs Bowser/Ganondorf/Sephiroth/Mewtwo

Minds will be blown. Bodies were not ready

WAR GAMES!!!!

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Sakurai Presents December 17th!

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I though sometime ago about Sephiroth and did a post here, curious he was picked. I expected him as a “bonus”. Hope we get more FF music than One Winged Angel :)

This is Square-Enix redemption arc. He will be released at this month, maybe next week? 1 week before christmas is a good timing IMO.

D

Deleted member

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC