• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A DLC character doesn't necessarily have to be from a new series, nor do they have to be from a game that's completely unrepresented in Smash.

All Nintendo really cares about is making sure the character has enough new, relevant, and specific material to pass as a character bundle. In other words, I think it's more likely that someone like Waluigi would be tied in with a single new game than it would for him to be part of a generic "Super Mario" bundle. It's far easier to focus on one game, especially since Mario is a franchise that has a ton of existing content they'd have to tiptoe around.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
While I will say I think characters from unrepresented games are more likely, I will say we shouldn't dismiss a character simply because they're from a series that's already in.

Gotta remember, patterns are patterns until they're not.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Unfortunately, Kiryu has been implicitly deconfirmed by virtue of respecting women.
Well, that’s not true. That was in response to Tekken and Street Fighter and the like. In an interview with IGN:
IGN: SEGA has put Sonic, Bayonetta and Joker in Super Smash Bros. Any chance Kiryu will make an appearance? Majima would make a great echo fighter.

Nagoshi: I don't think (Smash Bros director Masahiro) Sakurai is interested, haha. If he asked I’d say yes, but I don't think he wants them!

IGN: He has characters like Snake in there – it’s not so dissimilar, right?

Nagoshi: Nah, that’s different. Even if they’re both killers, they’re pretty different.

Sato: I think it would be very interesting (to put Kiryu in Smash Bros). He could pick up a bicycle out of nowhere to whack opponents with, haha. There are so many strong characters in Smash Brothers, I wonder whether Kazuma Kiryu could defeat them!
I don’t know HOW a question about Tekken got turned around into a disconfirmation for Smash but the creators are not against Kiryu in Smash. We gotta stop digging so deep into specific interviews, or interviews entirely, for the sheer novelty of disconfirming characters. It’s not working.

Edit: DragonScythe not sure how you ended up quoted in this post. My bad.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, that’s not true. That was in response to Tekken and Street Fighter and the like. In an interview with IGN:

I don’t know HOW a question about Tekken got turned around into a disconfirmation for Smash but the creators are not against Kiryu in Smash. We gotta stop digging so deep into specific interviews, or interviews entirely, for the sheer novelty of disconfirming characters. It’s not working.
Besides, if Kiryu is allowed to beat up women in Project X Zone, another crossover, Smash should be fine.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, 12 days until the great The-Last-of-Us-Part-2-wins-everything-you-philistines-just-don't-get-it Awards.

Don't expect Nintendo to have anything there but watch it anyway.
It's lockdown, what else are you gonna do?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

That's because you're quoting the wrong interview. This is the interview in question:

I don't see how an old interview should still be in consideration when we have newer information that contradicts it, and I'm saying this as someone who wants Kiryu in Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That's because you're quoting the wrong interview. This is the interview in question:

I don't see how an old interview should still be in consideration when we have newer information that contradicts it, and I'm saying this as someone who wants Kiryu in Smash.
Either way I'm sitting back and enjoying the "Kiryu respects women" jokes

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I dont think Nagoshi was serious or he really cares. He has sort of douchey cynical personality.

This is the same guy that went on a puyo puyo esports live stream and insulted the puyo puyo players which caused massive down votes and a apology by SEGA but not by himself.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, 12 days until the great The-Last-of-Us-Part-2-wins-everything-you-philistines-just-don't-get-it Awards.

Well, at least I'm gonna watch it with a friend. We'll get so bored, we'll act like we're drunk.

Though before you ask, no, we will not actually be drinking.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Spirits and Mii Costumes from around Terry's release (because that's the earliest we heard about Pass 2). Everything that came with Byleth I assume is disconfirmed, since they had to have the roster selected by then, but I guess all DLC before that is a grey area. Rex is fine because he had to have been decided long before Pass 2 was in consideration.

Aside from that, characters disconfirmed by interviews or other development tidbits we've heard, like Doomguy, Kiryu, 2B, etc.
When was 2B mentioned? I haven’t seen anything about that.

My money is on Animal Crossing. That game took the world by storm & sort of became more than a game for a lot of people this year. It really helped people find happiness & connect during a dark time. No bias speaking here since I haven’t played it & FF7 Remake is my personal GOTY; though I’m starting Hades tonight so maybe that can take the top spot.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Sakurai mentioned in a Famitsu interview that he only met Yoko Taro last December.
Eh, I don’t think that means too much. If anything, that meeting could’ve been about them discussing how to represent 2B in Smash. I don’t think it’d have been necessary for the two to meet when a deal was being made. Especially since Taro is an oddball lol

7NATOR

Smash Master
Eh, I don’t think that means too much. If anything, that meeting could’ve been about them discussing how to represent 2B in Smash. I don’t think it’d have been necessary for the two to meet when a deal was being made. Especially since Taro is an oddball lol
Well if it's for a Character, I'd Imagine that be too late for Sakurai to be at the Negotiation table. The roster was finalized around November (or Earlier), yes

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Why would an interview talking about Tekken be in consideration for Smash? Literally guy gets asked “Kiryu in Smash?” He says “yes” guy gets asked “Kiryu in Tekken?” He says “no” that’s all the two interviews are saying.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

They're quoting a different interview, a more recent one. Though I don't think it implies a total deconfirmation, and knowing Nagoshi, I wouldn't be surprised if he was joking in some way.

At the same time...

Besides, if Kiryu is allowed to beat up women in Project X Zone, another crossover, Smash should be fine.
Yeah, this is a thing. While Project X Zone isn't as big as Smash and the context might be a bit different, I don't see why he couldn't be part of Smash or any fighting game when Project X Zone 2 is a thing.
Granted, maybe Nagoshi has changed his vision about the character since Project X Zone 2 came out.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Well if it's for a Character, I'd Imagine that be too late for Sakurai to be at the Negotiation table. The roster was finalized around November (or Earlier), yes
I meant that I don’t think Sakurai meeting Taro is important for the meetings. They could meet at a later date after Square & Nintendo had come to an agreement. Technically, Sakurai meeting the creator doesn’t have to happen at all. He just does it out of respect & to get their insight.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Does 2B have a chance? after what they did to Mai?
Well. There is still Bayo and ZSS. maybe.
Who’s to say but I think yeah, all she would require is a slight design change. I’m not even sure what happened with Mai. There’s costumes for her that aren’t as risqué so I’m not sure why they didn’t add her with one of those.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I meant that I don’t think Sakurai meeting Taro is important for the meetings. They could meet at a later date after Square & Nintendo had come to an agreement. Technically, Sakurai meeting the creator doesn’t have to happen at all. He just does it out of respect & to get their insight.
I Don't know. As Sakurai is the Director of Smash, he needs to know the Creators demands for a character before coming to a finalization. Nintendo could start the process, but I Imagine Sakurai needs to meet the creators first before Finalization can happen

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Who’s to say but I think yeah, all she would require is a slight design change. I’m not even sure what happened with Mai. There’s costumes for her that aren’t as risqué so I’m not sure why they didn’t add her with one of those.
I think it's because the devs didn't feel like inventing an entirely new design for a mere background cameo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom