• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The current model seems to be mostly focusing on protagonists from previously unrepresented series: Persona, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, Fatal Fury, ARMS and Minecraft. The one exception thus far is Byleth, another FE character, but he at least does bring a previously unrepresented aspect of the series with him, that being Three Houses.

That's why I feel like characters like Waluigi or Bandana Dee don't really "fit", because really, what new "universe" are they bringing into Smash? These DLC packs aren't just characters, they also have to have spirits, music and stage to go along with them. They tend to focus on bringing a new specific thing or theme to Smash, whether that'd be an all new universe or again, atleast an all new installment in an established series. Keep in mind, the trailers for the DLC fighters typically have this at the end:

Which really emphazises how these characters are about selling you new series.

Like, what would Bandana Dee's pack even be about? Would the theme really just be "leftover Kirby content"? Same thing with Waluigi.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Well with Bandana Dee Smash has left out so much Kirby content from games after Super Star that in his case, elements from Return to Dreamland through Kirby Star Allies would almost all be new. Lack of things to bring in is not an issue with him (same with Dixie Kong and the sheer glut of things from the DK games have been ignored) but neither feel likely given the DLC has gone for newer franchises that haven't been in Smash before, FE (as usual) excepted.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The current model seems to be mostly focusing on protagonists from previously unrepresented series: Persona, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, Fatal Fury, ARMS and Minecraft. The one exception thus far is Byleth, another FE character, but he at least does bring a previously unrepresented aspect of the series with him, that being Three Houses.

That's why I feel like characters like Waluigi or Bandana Dee don't really "fit", because really, what new "universe" are they bringing into Smash? These DLC packs aren't just characters, they also have to have spirits, music and stage to go along with them. They tend to focus on bringing a new specific thing or theme to Smash, whether that'd be an all new universe or again, atleast an all new installment in an established series. Keep in mind, the trailers for the DLC fighters typically have this at the end:

Which really emphazises how these characters are about selling you new series.

Like, what would Bandana Dee's pack even be about? Would the theme really just be "leftover Kirby content"? Same thing with Waluigi.
That SSBU X Series screen first made its debut in the August 8 Direct, where it was part of the Belmont trailer but not K. Rool's, so a pattern involving excluding it when the world is already included is set. Alternatively, the Mii Costume trailers feature plenty of redundant uses of these splash screens. Why do we need "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X ARMS" to introduce Ninjara's costume in the Min Min Direct?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Bandana Dee as mentioned could with Modern Era Kirby Games, as People been complaining about lack of Content from that Era

Waluigi is Harder. If they want to play into the Joke, They could just make it Smash X Waluigi. However perhaps he could steal Luigi's Mansion and come with Luigi's Mansion 3 Spirits.

It's definitely harder though with these characters than characters that Easily come from new worlds, and we only gotten latter characters so far. Could change though

Dinoman96

Smash Master
That SSBU X Series screen first made its debut in the August 8 Direct, where it was part of the Belmont trailer but not K. Rool's, so a pattern involving excluding it when the world is already included is set. Alternatively, the Mii Costume trailers feature plenty of redundant uses of these splash screens. Why do we need "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X ARMS" to introduce Ninjara's costume in the Min Min Direct?
K. Rool was a base game character though, which I thought we've established was a much different thing than DLC fighters. Literally every FP character thus far has had that "SSBU x Series" screen.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Bandana Dee as mentioned could with Modern Era Kirby Games, as People been complaining about lack of Content from that Era
I mean that could happened but I only think about stage and music, for spirit tho I can't really see them just slapping different form of Dark Matter in his spirit board or other bosses and call it a day. Same goes for Diddy and Waluigi, Donkey Kong already brought a lot of important character in as a spirit since base game which is really different than ARMS

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I'm not going to tell you that protagonists from games without previous fighters are the only possible characters. But I will tell you that all the fighters so far have checked those boxes. It's more likely that this pattern continues than that it doesn't. When you have 11 new characters added as DLC and they all have the same thing in common, it probably means that those aspects are consciously chosen and are vital to the selection process.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But by that logic, why didn't they consider Ribbon Girl, the other mascot of ARMS, instead of just jumping straight to Min Min/Ninjara?

I just think Nintendo/Sakurai didn't really care and just wanted either Min Min or Ninjara because they were the more popular and diverse characters (they're the most popular female and male characters respectively, going by polls and the Party Crash Bash), even if they're "side characters" (even though Yabuki considers all of the ARMS cast to be the main character).
Ribbon Girl's the Ken, not the Ryu. The Luigi, not the Mario. I think it's a very safe bet to make that they thought "Well if we can't have the main mascot we might as well consider all optioms"

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
If you say that all of the DLC Character follow the pattern of main character then it sucks for someone who wanted the likes of Monokuma tho Naegi is more reasonable even if he's not that well requested.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Okay so weird Question, But it's important for Me

Between Geno vs Reimu, Who do you think would be the most likely character?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So Just a Thought I had

Close-Quarters Combat - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki (ssbwiki.com)

So you guys remember this Tourney Right. We figured because the Tourney was supposed to come after the Supposed DLC Character based Tourney, that the Character would have a Projectile of Some Kind (and also not be Lightweight), which Steve was

Now what about the inverse

We haven't gotten a Tourney based around Projectile Users, even after this Tourney. I want to take a guess and say that possibly, We are gonna have a Character that's based around Projectiles

Min-Min tourney was based around her ARMS, Steve's was based around his Tools. Depending on the character, I could see one of the DLC's Character's Tourney based around Projectiles. Reimu, Geno, Any FPS character (Master Chief, Doomguy, Fortnite, etc), Maybe Neku, KOS-MOS, among others could fit this
The Tools tourney had a LOT of projectiles, though. The splatoon gun, the Belmont axes---

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

Totally Reimu, of course because I'm a supporter for her but other than that Geno's fate already been sealed in the next row of returning smash 4 costume.

Older than Shantae and even garnered a large fanbase from a single country, you can't say people don't want her when Nintendo's home country rejoicing for her conclusion alone.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm not going to tell you that protagonists from games without previous fighters are the only possible characters. But I will tell you that all the fighters so far have checked those boxes. It's more likely that this pattern continues than that it doesn't.
...Min Min :ultminmin

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

If Sakurai was 100% in control of picking the characters instead of Nintendo, I'd say Reimu has the edge over Geno because Team Shanghai would be more open to having the character in Smash Bros.

7NATOR

Smash Master
The Tools tourney had a LOT of projectiles, though. The splatoon gun, the Belmont axes---
Huh, Actually that is something now is it

I guess only a Tourney with characters that have focus on Projectile, since there still are characters here that are less focused on Projectiles, like Sonic, the Star Fox spacies, etc.

But honestly, i never noticed this. I got to think longer about this

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Make it more specific, I thought it's about the possibility of Sakurai in control of Character makes Reimu more possible or Nintendo is the one picking the series and Sakurai could freely choose the character which doesn't make sense considering you mentioned Team Shanghai Alice being open when the one that asking that is Nintendo
You need to read my comment again because I didn't say that,

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So uh

anyone got a link to what NateDrake said again? Did he say something (in general, he didn’t specify) would happen this week or next week?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Make it more specific, I thought it's about the possibility of Sakurai in control of Character makes Reimu more possible or Nintendo is the one picking the series and Sakurai could freely choose the character which doesn't make sense considering you mentioned Team Shanghai Alice being open when the one that asking that is Nintendo
Sakurai himself wouldn't have a problem picking either Geno or Reimu. With Nintendo, both characters would be just as doomed as each other. I'm taking into account the companies that Sakurai would be asking from. You have Team Shanghai who have been vocal about wanting Reimu and Square Enix who have not been vocal about Geno at all. On top of that, Geno contends with other Square Enix characters while the Touhou series (to my knowledge) is the only series that Team Shanghai has made. Putting those together, that's why I think Reimu is more likelier than Geno if it was between those two characters.

I hope this makes sense.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
So uh

anyone got a link to what NateDrake said again? Did he say something (in general, he didn’t specify) would happen this week or next week?
Nate supported a claim by another user that it's possible that Nintendo could announce something this Tuesday/Wednesday... but he also said to keep your expectation in check and the original user even said that it could be something as small as "Nintendo unveiling their Mario themed advent calendar since Tuesday it's December 1st".

So yeah... it's not a statement worth losing sleep over it.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Nate supported a claim by another user that it's possible that Nintendo could announce something this Tuesday/Wednesday... but he also said to keep your expectation in check and the original user even said that it could be something as small as "Nintendo unveiling their Mario themed advent calendar since Tuesday it's the December 1st".

So yeah... it's not a statement worth losing sleep over it.
**** a Mario themed advent calendar. We need an Animal Crossing themes Advent calender. That game is selling like hot cakes and apparenly it's sold out on Amazon with no estimated restock till January 6th

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think there's a possibility that the ARMS Character might have been decided on even before Spring Man was made an Assist Trophy (and Costume)

I Believe that Party Crash Bash thing ended in June of 2018, and Min-Min and Ninjara were 1st and 2nd place respectfully. Coincidently both were in the base game as Spirit. Is It Possible that Sakurai was already thinking between these Two then and then Asked the Creator who he'd prefer if ARMS got a Character, even before the game launched. Considering the situation with Steve and the 16 slots that were found with Plant, well you know...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think there's a possibility that the ARMS Character might have been decided on even before Spring Man was made an Assist Trophy (and Costume)

I Believe that Party Crash Bash thing ended in June of 2018, and Min-Min and Ninjara were 1st and 2nd place respectfully. Coincidently both were in the base game as Spirit. Is It Possible that Sakurai was already thinking between these Two then and then Asked the Creator who he'd prefer if ARMS got a Character, even before the game launched. Considering the situation with Steve and the 16 slots that were found with Plant, well you know...
It was June 2019, actually

Around the time they were wrapping things up with Pass 2 planning iirc

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I really do love how Smashboards mindset goes:

“I think the next character will be - since every character so far has been -“

“haha but you see this character is the exception and since this character is the exception it must mean you’re wrong which means you’re whole mindset is wrong therefore your thoughts are irrelevant.”

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I really do love how Smashboards mindset goes:

“I think the next character will be - since every character so far has been -“

“haha but you see this character is the exception and since this character is the exception it must mean you’re wrong which means you’re whole mindset is wrong therefore your thoughts are irrelevant.”
Welcome to Smashboards

don’t forget - YOU’RE HERE FOREVER.

7NATOR

Smash Master
It was June 2019, actually

Around the time they were wrapping things up with Pass 2 planning iirc
Well Damn, I thought I might have been onto something here

Even without the Party Crash thing though, It seems Sakurai might have already knew who were the most popular ARMS Characters. Spring-Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Twintelle, and Min-Min are the most popular coincidently, and those were the only 5 Characters in base game in some form

so I wonder did Sakurai already knew that it would be between Min-Min and Ninjara even as early as before Base Game Launched, which is why he made Spring Man Assist because he still wanted him to have role and such (and Why Spring Man and Ribbon Girl had Mii Costumes).

That Might kill Rex though

I just thought it be interesting because Min-Min might also be example of character being decided earlier than expected. I think people already know Steve was like this, but it's possible Min-Min was too as well.

With the 16 Slots found with Plant, which adds up to Two More fighter Passes after Fighter Pass 1 (and this was in Febuarary of 2019), I feel like there may be more shenigans in the background. I should perhaps write some Fanfiction/Theory/ Whatever about it

Perhaps Smashboards could have a day where we pretend to Choose Characters for the Fighter Pass like how Nintendo does it

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean, the fact that some users consider Isaac and Sakura a viable rep doesn't mean that I do. I think that both those characters have the same problem that there's some way more popular pick in their respective developper (Nintendo having Rex, gen 8 Pokémon, Waluigi, Zelda rep etc. And Sega having Arle and Kiryu).
Unfortunately, Kiryu has been implicitly deconfirmed by virtue of respecting women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom