• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
This next bit is pure speculation, but many people have pointed out that Byleth fights a lot like what they imagined the Hunter would.
Everytime someone unironically says this, the more time that a vaccine will be delayed

Monster Hunter in MVC dosn't even move ANYTHING like how Byleth plays in the game

Oh my Lord, dose this frustrating to see this repeated everywhere

Is this how people fell when having to hear "too violent for Smash" so many time

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Hope we Get Pure Rush Down Character, Though Honestly with all the Steve Combos I've seen, he can play Rush Down, but if we got Pure Rushdown Character who would it be?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Hope we Get Pure Rush Down Character, Though Honestly with all the Steve Combos I've seen, he can play Rush Down, but if we got Pure Rushdown Character who would it be?
I'd want it to be Doom Guy. His speed tier would be in between Little Mac and Captain Falcon, he would have a lot of powerful single hit moves and he'd have a sort glory KO mechanic where if you're at a high enough percent, you could perform a special move where you grab your opponent and KO them or something.

I bet he'd be a lot of fun to play as.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I want to know, what is it about Xenoblade Chronicles in particular that gets people worked up on this forum?

It's not the most explicit JRPG and it's not the biggest one either so why do passions flare up?
Because all 3 games are either some of the greatest JRPGs of their generations, perhaps of all time, or laughably flawed games which are blatantly inferior to others in their franchises.

It being the first traditional style JRPG Nintendo's released since Golden Sun's probably a factor too now that I think about it, I used to consider the first game my favourite of the genre... Then I played Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Nier, SMT, you get the idea. I've also noticed how Xenoblade fans are inherently insecure, my favourite example being Xenoblade twitter going ape**** as NoA's profile pic was still Tom Nook a few weeks before DE came out as if they were panicking that the game would once again have it's release get poorly handled

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Everytime someone unironically says this, the more time that a vaccine will be delayed

Monster Hunter in MVC dosn't even move ANYTHING like how Byleth plays in the game

Oh my Lord, dose this frustrating to see this repeated everywhere

Is this how people fell when having to hear "too violent for Smash" so many time
Bro, if only you were around during the days of “Snake doesn’t fit in Smash”

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Bro, if only you were around during the days of “Snake doesn’t fit in Smash”
For the record, you're talking about after Snake got cut right? Fun times. I remember a guy saying Wolf was too violent which is why he was cut because of his spiked kneepads being used in his pummel and the sharp claws. VERY fun times

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
To steer a bit from thw MH discussion, apparently Nendoroids of Doomslayer and Crash are under works (or was this already posted?):

Of course it doesn't mean anything else except for being fun to see western game characters getting the Nendoroid treatment, and specifically ones often discussed in Smash speculation.
I’m going to say it doesn’t mean anything but Nendos for 2B & KH2 Sora were recently announced too. The rest of the pass being Crash, Doom Slayer, 2B & Sora would be mind blowing.

In the hypothetical scenario where we get more characters after FP2, is there any characters you guys would think are likely there that you don’t think are likely for FP2? For me, I’d say Akira Howard & especially Ring Fit Adventurer would be a lock. Those two new IPs have proven theirselves in a similar manner to Arms & I think they’d both be pretty unique/fun.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I think it would be cool if Linne was the rushdown character or Blaziken if it is based of off his Pokken moveset.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
To steer a bit from thw MH discussion, apparently Nendoroids of Doomslayer and Crash are under works (or was this already posted?):

Of course it doesn't mean anything else except for being fun to see western game characters getting the Nendoroid treatment, and specifically ones often discussed in Smash speculation.
Look, I'm not saying the character popular enough to get a figure 17 years after her initial game bereft of any cross promotion unlike her other peers is in...
There was a problem fetching the tweet

But yeah, I'm thinking the Lyn... is In.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I made a video about how I would do Dante’s moveset! Skip to 4:30 to get Into the moves. WARNING THERE IS BAD WORDS SO IF THATS BAD DONT WATCH IT. Anyway here it is, I ramble a lot so skip when needed

I posted this in the Dante forum and wanted to share it here too. I think Dante could be a rush down character, but he could probably Fit just about any type of PLAYSTYLE if they gave him style switching

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Lloyd for sure. Tales is built around combos and racking up damage; Heck, you can even combo special moves into one another. Lloyd would definitely be a character who gets up in your face and goes ham.

There's also Lyn, unlikely as she may be, who could provide a different spin on Roy's rushdown swordfighter archetype. One idea mentioned a while back is that an iaijustsu wielder-In this case, Lyn-Could have horrendous endlag on their attacks, but that endlag decreases dramatically if the hit lands. Pair that with near-nonexistent startup lag, and there you go. Close-combat swordfighter.

I would say Adol as well, seeing as modern Ys is basically a top-down Tales game... But on second thought, probably not. He's got a lot of potential gimmicks, like a mobile jab or the Flash Guard/Flash Move system, that would probably make him into a more patient, methodic fighter.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Guys I have a bit of a problem.

Steve is broken for me. As in he literally doesn't work.

I can't ****ing mine. I press B, he does the animation but I don't collect any materials.

WTF is going on.

SKX31

Smash Master
Some of my favorite characters are in this category (Dante to some extent, Tracer, Ahri, one could argue one of the Assassins / Prince of Persia etc.).

As far as most likely, Ryu seems like one of the likliest (although when I say likely I'm giving a character a 15-20% chance max at this point, what with there only being 4 slots left in FP2).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Oh.

Now I feel like an idiot.
Nah, when I first played as Steve I did literally the same exact thing.

Oftentimes we’ll put ourselves in a situation thinking we’re the only person who was confused. Believe me, you certainly aren’t alone!

P.Kat

Smash Champion
As some have said already Lyn would be a good choice, Sakura as well too. Impa would make a great Rush Down too. I see her having a frame data that rivals that of Sheik. Elma is another who would also fit in as a Rush Down character.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Lloyd for sure. Tales is built around combos and racking up damage; Heck, you can even combo special moves into one another. Lloyd would definitely be a character who gets up in your face and goes ham
Anyone have that video of Yuri Lowell doing combos like crazy?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
While we're sharing Steve knowledge, what's the input for the power rails? From what I've played, neither a Smash input nor just holding the button seemed to work.

A Spirit wouldn't even need to be censored, since you can't upskirt a JPEG.
That's what I thought but apparently CERO thinks otherwise if Mythra's any indication. It's a bit odd. Perhaps they just thought she showed a bit too much leg?

SKX31

Smash Master
If it's any consolation, I saw more than a couple of people making the same mistake.

It can a bit counterintuitive for a move to do literally nothing if you just tap the input.
There are a couple moves I can think of that do that (Rollout, at least in older games, being one example) but generally those have been phased out.

(And before anyone asks, yeah I was a bit too fascinated with Melee's legendarily bad AI. The were programmed to tap B moves often, and uncharged Rollout is useless if it doesn't hit initially).

Anyone have that video of Yuri Lowell doing combos like crazy?
Are you looking for this? (Edit: Re-phrased)

The one behind the video is also a really, really good DmC player. We're talking his Dante (and others at his level) has an off-the-charts APM.

While we're sharing Steve knowledge, what's the input for the power rails? From what I've played, neither a Smash input nor just holding the button seemed to work.
Went quickly into training mode for this: Press B while in the cart for the power rails (with power rails costing 1 gold and 1 redstone each time it's used). The power rails do have a short second-ish cooldown period between them.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There are a couple moves I can think of that do that (Rollout, at least in older games, being one example) but generally those have been phased out.

(And before anyone asks, yeah I was a bit too fascinated with Melee's legendarily bad AI. The were programmed to tap B moves often, and uncharged Rollout is useless if it doesn't hit initially).
Oh yeah, uncharged Rollout. I think they made it better in the newer games, although still not good, but in the older games, it was just a cute animation.

I think one of the biggest aspects of design creep within the series is the amount of useless, or incredibly situational Special Moves. From 64, you've got :ultmario:(at least casually), :ultdk:, :ultyoshi:, :ultkirby:, :ultfalcon:(though I wouldn't trade Falcon Punch for the world), & :ultjigglypuff:, Melee has :ultzelda:, :ultganondorf:, &:ultmewtwo:, Brawl has :ultmetaknight:&:ultkingdedede:, and only because they nerfed Mach Tornado into the ground, the fourth game has :ultlittlemac:, but only without the K.O. Punch & :ultrobin:, and this game pretty much just has :ultridley:. And this is all after the moves have been balanced and rebalanced.

With Special Moves being a lot of the newer characters's best moves, it's really weird seeing the characters with Special Moves that do basically nothing for you or are just way too slow or difficult to realistically hit someone with.

EDIT: It's also pretty silly that both of the beginner characters have bad or hard to use Special Moves.

Power rails replace normal rails if you have gold and red stone until they run out. There is no special input, it's the same ol' side b.
You need gold too? Huh. The presentation gave me the impression that he could use it fairly often. I guess that isn't the case.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I still have yet to see a concrete reason as to why Hayabusa has to be a fighter specifically. Ninja Gaiden is not an active franchise, I wouldn't go as far as to say dead as Ryu still makes appearances in games from time to time, but when series like Fallout and Resident Evil get relegated to minor appearances what's to say he won't be a mii costume?
Castlevania falls under the same thing Ninja Gaiden is, at least in terms of games (not counting the Collections). Castlevania is a major 3rd party franchise in Smash. If Castlevania could get that treatment, so could Ninja Gaiden. Heck, Fatal Fury (not KoF, Fatal Fury) can be argued to be in the same boat as well.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not to come off as as shameless plugging but uh
Crazy Dave support thread because for whatever reason one hasn't been made yet

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Steve really makes me wonder how long negotiations between Nintendo and a 3rd party might take. I'm sure it varies from company to company.
Steve's five year negotiations might be because of the resources Sakurai didn't have at the time: Developing Steve for as long as he needed for 4 would bleed into Ultimate's development and probably take longer/be canceled due to the 3DS. For Ultimate's base game, Sakurai didn't want to cut into their already small newcomer budget. For FP1, Nintendo made a deal for Banjo to keep MS on board, under the assumption that they'd be an easier character to make. They were right. It was only until FP2 that Sakurai got what Steve needed: Enough time for one division of the Smash team to work for almost a year on one character.

On a side note, it might not be a coincidence that Nintendo started Steve negotiations during Smash 4's DLC, and Steve fits with :4ryu::4cloud: more than he fits with :ultjoker::ult_terry:/a pass that started with Min Min.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Not to come off as as shameless plugging but uh
Crazy Dave support thread because for whatever reason one hasn't been made yet
Oh hey, I was just about to make one myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom