• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I've seen people say that Monster Hunter could get a character because Rise is releasing next year, and I think that is coming from a place of dismissal/ignorance. Monster Hunter is an absolutely massive franchise in Japan. It's Dragon Quest levels of bighuge over there. With World, it finally found worldwide appeal as well. If Monster Hunter gets a character it isn't to shill for a new game it's because the series is a way bigger deal than just about every blockbuster pick that gets brought up. If a character does get added it's going to be a "Well, duh" moment just like with Hero.

Maybe Nintendo/Capcom/Sakurai feel like Rathalos and the Mii costumes are enough representation, I don't know. But don't get it twisted; the series is a bigger deal than Crash, Halo, Doom, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, and just about anything you can name. So I would not blink if we got a MH character and no one else should. Nor should they dismiss it as a shill pick. Unless adding one of the biggest franchises in the world is shilling.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
When it comes to adding a second rep for a third party already in a Fighters Pass, it’s unprecedented but not impossible. Especially if the rumor about negotiations for Sora falling through are true.

If that rumor is true, Sora was definitely planned as a final “showstopper”, probably for E3 next year. I doubt Nintendo wouldn’t try to fill the Sora-void with someone else of his scale. It could potentially be someone like Crash or Dovahkiin. But in a hypothetical scenario that Nintendo had already locked in Steve & say Dante & Geno, I doubt they’d completely rule out the likes of Master Chief, Monster Hunter, Lara Croft or Sephiroth just because MS/Capcom/Square already had a character. After getting burned by Disney, I could see them wanting to work with someone they have a more stable relationship with again.

Sephiroth isn’t a character that gets a lot of talk since additional reps for third parties, especially FFVII, seem really unlikely. But I definitely think he’d be a huge deal. He’s a beloved character & the most iconic video game villain after Bowser/Ganondorf (maaaaybe Eggman?). I feel he’d be “showstopper” tier. Icing on the cake would be if the rights for FF7 Remake content is easier to get than stuff from the original.

SKX31

Smash Master
Similar arguments could be made for the Belmonts (it's not like Konami has any plans to release a new Castlevania game any time soon), and yet they were added anyway. Much like Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden has a long history stretching back to the NES days.
Honestly I know of a future Castlevania game... but this thread already decided to "Nope" the **** out of that. While there's been a surprisingly large number of Chinese-developed mobile games that Japanese companies have licensed, the results have ranged from really good (DmC: Pinnacle of Combat looks seriously like a legit DmC game on its own) to... yeah really bad. Most of them appear decent at least (which sadly doesn't seem to be the case with the Castlevania mobile game).

And also, I'll know if K-T ever greenlights a Ninja Gaiden mobile game.

GTA has ghosts, aliens, big foot, flying cars, jetpacks, and Big Smoke. Only since GTA4 did the series start getting super serious, San Andreas was over the top and wacky. Saying every mature series in Smash can be toned down but GTA can't is disingenuous at best, you're not gonna be beating up hookers in Smash, just like you're not delving into the minds of rapists ala Persona, removing bombs from questionable places ala MGS, or straight up being the hooker ala Bayonetta.

It's not a question of toning down the mature from any given franchise so much as just... not even acknowledging it. Only Bayonetta had to be toned down given her penchant for stripping, every other mature character in Smash just does what they normally do, it's the context from the games that make them mature, not the characters themselves. CJ can totally pop a cap in Mario if given the chance, not that it's particularly likely to happen anyway.
I find it really telling that Joker's Challenger Pack did not mention (edit: most of) the villains at all.

Especially not Kamoshida. Aka Mr. "My Palace is an obvious sign that I'm a massive creep, I see my female students as just sex objects, and I see my male students as just tools I can treat like **** because it pleases me."

Trailer starts with Joker driving through Mementos, until the door opens and someone throws him out of the Morgana car.

"CJ follows the train!"

Classic mode is similar to Cloud's, as if to imply he's stealing the rides of the Smash characters. Big Smoke appears in the Final Smash.
Trailer ends with CJ and Joker discussing stuff they've been through, while Morgana in Catbus form shouts furiously as (s)he struggles to catch up with the train.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
I always Wondered

Once FP2 is Over, and Smash Ultimate Development is over, What do you guys think Sakurai and the Team will do next? Yes he might take a break, but at the end of the day he is Doing a Job, So he'll probably go back to something after Ultimate?

Next Smash? New Kid Icarus? Some new I.P?
A brand new VR game?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I highly doubt Nintendo would go through with development on Ryu simply because of good relations with Koei Tecmo. What does Nintendo gain from his inclusion? Tighter bonds with KT? Clearly they don't need that. Ninja Gaiden isn't having any upcoming game releases, Ryu wasn't a highly requested character before DLC development began, I'd go as far as to say Ninja Gaiden isn't nearly as impactful as other franchises yet to get into Smash Bros. If we get a Bamco character this pass, I'll be a bit more convinced that Ryu Hayabusa is appearing as a fighter.
Actually, there was a leak of the Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy not too long ago so.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mortal Kombat is as much about camp as it is about gore. They throw in odd characters that say "Toasty!" I mean cmon.
It was also quite important to video game history- not only launching the ESRB, but also pioneering that graphic capture mechanic using real actors for characters. I'd absolutely love Scorpion to get in. He is the Min Min of MK!
Campy indeed.

Scorpion's taunts and victory poses can be Friendships, Babality, and Animality.

• Taunt 1 - Friendship from MK II - Scorpion pulls out a Scorpion doll
  • Taunt 2 - Friendship from UMK 3 - Scorpion brings out a jack-in-a-box and a skull pops out from the box
  • Taunt 3 - Toasty! Easter egg - a picture of Dan Forden from MK 3 appears on the bottom right corner of the screen and yells “Toasty!” - works when Scorpion uses the taunt immediately after KOing the opponent with Smash Up (uppercut) or Star KOing the opponent or Screen KOing the opponent or KOing the opponent with Final Smash

• Victory Pose 1 - Babality - Mario becomes Baby Mario and cries inside a bubble like in SNES Yoshi's Island
  • Victory Pose 2 - Animality - Scorpion turns into a penguin and lays an egg between Mario's legs and the egg explodes, blasting Mario away
  • Victory Pose 3 - Liu Kang's Fatality from MK 3 - Scorpion vanishes and then a random Mortal Kombat arcade machine (MK 1, MK II, or UMK 3) drops from above and then Scorpion reappears and does the same victory pose from that specific game (one hand in the air from MK 1, both hands on the hips from MK II, both hands in the air from UMK 3)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I've seen people say that Monster Hunter could get a character because Rise is releasing next year, and I think that is coming from a place of dismissal/ignorance. Monster Hunter is an absolutely massive franchise in Japan. It's Dragon Quest levels of bighuge over there. With World, it finally found worldwide appeal as well. If Monster Hunter gets a character it isn't to shill for a new game it's because the series is a way bigger deal than just about every blockbuster pick that gets brought up. If a character does get added it's going to be a "Well, duh" moment just like with Hero.

Maybe Nintendo/Capcom/Sakurai feel like Rathalos and the Mii costumes are enough representation, I don't know. But don't get it twisted; the series is a bigger deal than Crash, Halo, Doom, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, and just about anything you can name. So I would not blink if we got a MH character and no one else should. Nor should they dismiss it as a shill pick. Unless adding one of the biggest franchises in the world is shilling.
I don't think anyone would argue that a Monster Hunter character would only added because of Monster Hunter: Rise, it just makes the series all the more attractive to Nintendo.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

Pretty much this. It's huge culturally in Japan similar to Dragon Quest and would definitely be added for those reasons and not to shill Rise. It's very easy to imagine Nintendo going to Sakurai and saying "Hey, can you add MonHun?" because, well, it's just a thing everyone knows.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Aight, crackpot time:

In E3 2019, we got Banjo and Kazooie. While E3 2020 was cancelled and Min Min was shoved back from her original release date, most likely taking the entire pass with her, Steve was still released at a time that would line up with an E3 reveal.

Both characters are owned by Microsoft. Assuming that the pass will finish around late 2021, this would mean FP2 will go on through E3 2021. Assuming this pattern (If you can call two instances a pattern) hold up, this would mean we'll get another Microsoft character near the end of the pass.

And who is the most prominent Microsoft character left? that's right, it's Master Chief. You should be able to see where this is going.

Crinkling of tinfoil gets louder

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I would reckon adding some words onto your post as image-only posts could get you a warning.
Aight, crackpot time:

In E3 2019, we got Banjo and Kazooie. While E3 2020 was cancelled and Min Min was shoved back from her original release date, most likely taking the entire pass with her, Steve was still released at a time that would line up with an E3 reveal.

Both characters are owned by Microsoft. Assuming that the pass will finish around late 2021, this would mean FP2 will go on through E3 2021. Assuming this pattern (If you can call two instances a pattern) hold up, this would mean we'll get another Microsoft character near the end of the pass.

And who is the most prominent Microsoft character left? that's right, it's Master Chief. You should be able to see where this is going.

That's what I'm thinking as well, one could see this as a sign of Nintendo's and Microsoft's current relationship.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Now I want to humor the idea of GTA in Smash, behold.

Carl Johnson steals the invite

CJ is our default GTA fighter, that's right, default. His alts consist of:
Tommy Vercetti
Claude
Niko Bellic

Could've filled out the rest with other protags but more than four seems a bit unrealistic for DLC after Hero. Maybe swap out Claude for one of the GTAV guys but I dunno which one would go in before the other two. The stage is San Andreas, it's a traveling stage ala Delfino Plaza where a platform drops you off at iconic landmarks of the city. Music... yeah music is the one problem GTA actually faces, is there even original music? We're sure not getting licensed stuff. Spirits could be any number of side characters but obviously Big Smoke is the legendary spirit, and he's represented by King Dedede with an army of other CPUs: Two Luigis, Giant Luigi, a Kirby with a Pokeball that spawns Ditto, a Fox, and two Villagers. As for CJ's moveset, well... Sakurai can work miracles, he'll figure it out.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Aight, crackpot time:

This is Blinx erasure and I won't stand for it

SKX31

Smash Master
Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Exactly this. From the moment an ARMS character was announced I believed that Monster Hunter was back in the running and worth taking seriously.

Not to say that a lot of people aren't just jumping on the MH train because of the new games, the community does tend to hone in on that sort of stuff and two Switch exclusives certainly don't hurt, but it bugs me when people act like that's all there is to it. Considering how the already big MH has grown substantially and broke into worldwide success with the release of World, that alone should put it on the radar for reconsideration.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I will remain on the Dante hype train until the dream is completely shattered by a Monster Hunter character joining instead, to which my response would be "welp I guess I'm playing Monster Hunter Rise then lmao" (which I intend to do anyway as my first MH game...)
I will confidently say that the next character will be a Capcom character though, just a feelin'...

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I'm glad that Monster Hunter is getting more recognition in the smash scene, I do feel like it's a possibility that a lot of people are sleeping on. Hell, Min Min already proves that a franchise repped in the base game as an Assist Trophy can gain a dlc fighter down the line.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Doesn't the Monster Hunter team specifically not want the Hunter in fighting crossovers like this? People will point to MvC but that likely came about due to corporate meddling, Capcom owns the IP and they'll do what they want with it regardless of the team's wishes. Sakurai isn't going to do something like that nor does he have the power to even if he wanted to, the vast amount of content in the base game without a character indicates that he very much went to them with the idea but they turned it down and he respected their wishes while still doing what he could to represent the series. Correct me if I'm wrong.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Doesn't the Monster Hunter team specifically not want the Hunter in fighting crossovers like this? People will point to MvC but that likely came about due to corporate meddling, Capcom owns the IP and they'll do what they want with it regardless of the team's wishes. Sakurai isn't going to do something like that nor does he have the power to even if he wanted to, the vast amount of content in the base game without a character indicates that he very much went to them with the idea but they turned it down and he respected their wishes while still doing what he could to represent the series. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Where did you hear this from?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Monster Hunter Rise will probably get a spirit event, there is no reason for a Monster Hunter fighter to be saved until a second pass in my opinion.
Why not? Keep in mind that Nintendo is now in charge of the character selection, while Sakurai was in charge of those decisions for the base roster. If Nintendo wants to do something else with Monster Hunter - which they have plenty of reason to do - then I don't see why Sakurai would say no. And with ARMS getting a character now despite having an AT in the base game, it's not unreasonable to consider expanding on universes that are technically already represented in some fashion.

So why would they wait for FP2? Well this is the first opportunity they've got since base game, considering FP1 specifically featured no overlapping content. FP2, as I mentioned before, is already revisiting ideas that weren't able to be fully realized. There's nothing stopping Monster Hunter from joining Min Min in supplementing a represented series with no playable content. And the timing of FP2 certainly works better for the release of the MH Switch games anyway, as FP1 did with Hero - but I don't think that would have necessarily been a deciding factor.

Doesn't the Monster Hunter team specifically not want the Hunter in fighting crossovers like this? People will point to MvC but that likely came about due to corporate meddling, Capcom owns the IP and they'll do what they want with it regardless of the team's wishes.
I hear people say this all the time, but I've never seen anyone link articles or quotes. MVCI is the best frame of reference we have and it worked out just fine there. And I believe this idea stemmed originally from MVC3, so perhaps if that was a concern they got over it.

Besides... maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time seeing Capcom turn down more content of any kind. They've been so cooperative in general that I imagine their relationship with Nintendo / Sakurai is strong enough where he could make it happen. I mean, who wouldn't trust Sakurai of all people to do their characters / series justice? I don't think this is as big a deal as people believe so long as Nintendo and Sakurai can provide an appealing proof of concept.

Who knows, maybe that's why it took so long?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah people say that... and then they never source it.
And then other people hear comments like this, and repeat it without sourcing that either...

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I hear people say this all the time, but I've never seen anyone link articles or quotes. MVCI is the best frame of reference we have and it worked out just fine there. And I believe this idea stemmed originally from MVC3, so perhaps if that was a concern they got over it.

Besides... maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time seeing Capcom turn down more content of any kind. They've been so cooperative in general that I imagine their relationship with Nintendo / Sakurai is strong enough where he could make it happen. I mean, who wouldn't trust Sakurai of all people to do their characters / series justice? I don't think this is as big a deal as people believe so long as Nintendo and Sakurai can provide an appealing proof of concept.
Capcom=/= the Monster Hunter team. The MH developers work for Capcom yes, and Capcom would certainly be willing, but Sakurai works directly with the teams responsible for series, the company at large just deals with licensing. As seen in the source someone linked above, they turned down the idea for MvC3 but then it came to fruition in Infinite, you might think they simply changed their minds and that's a valid thought process. However, all of this happened before Ultimate, and yet Ultimate still came with Monster Hunter content but no character. This leads me to believe that the MH team still didn't want the Hunter in MvC but Capcom forced it to happen. Why would Sakurai go to them for all of that content without a fighter? It's not a simple throwaway PNG, there's an entire boss, boss stage, and area in WoL dedicated to the series, which is why I believe the team was still against the Hunter as a fighter.

This next bit is pure speculation, but many people have pointed out that Byleth fights a lot like what they imagined the Hunter would. If Sakurai had the idea for the Hunter in his project plan but only managed to get extraneous content with no fighter, that's a moveset he unfortunately had to pass on... Until Byleth came along with weapons that just so happen to fit Sakurai's vision for a moveset and the lightbulb clicked for him as he set out to see it done one way or another.

7NATOR

Smash Master
This Thread is Hopping from Topic to Topic Today. I'm Loving it. I want to Comment on some of them

CJ would Unironically be Cool, Especially for My Friend Since he want's a Character that Represents Black People, (I do too, But it's not of Importance for me though. He was also sad that Twintelle wasn't the ARMS Character), and CJ is Iconic character for alot of people, No matter who they are. But I find it hard being in since to my Knowledge None of the Major Games were released on Nintendo (I Believe there was one for DS), Music would be Challenge since the Series relies on Licensed Music, stuff with Realism and stuff, and more. Could be used to build better relation with Rockstar though, and A GTA Character would Sell. But I Don't know, at this point if My Friend really wants some Representation, I think Elma is the last Option, That's Realistic and also Cool Character

A 2nd Rep for a Third Party (a Unique one at least), hasn't been seen before, But I think it could happen Easily. Sonic, Final Fantasy, and Street Fighter as Examples are Big Franchises with Iconic Characters that aren't the Main Character, though Sonic I say has it easier because They don't have as much Inside Company Competition (Capcom is Stacked (Plus SF just got Ken this Game), And I Don't think the Licensing is as much trouble as it is With Final Fantasy, Plus that franchise as many Competetion since the Franchise uses a Rotating Cast. There also been MANY Requests for a 2nd character since even before Sonic Got in

Koei and Nintendo's Very Good Relationship is very good for Koei, however that doesn't mean they can't get Burned on a Playable Spot. Ubisoft is Very Buddy with Nintendo, working on that Rabbids Game. They even sent a 3D Model to Sakurai for Rayman in Smash 4, which Usually doesn't happen, but they still get Burned. Of course Koei is Japanesse and They alos have Better Relations. Ninja Gaiden might also be on Hiatus right now but Ryu still makes Frequent Appearances despite that, kind of like how Terry keeps making apperances and stuff. But it also could just be Priorty, I mean Koei must have talked to Nintendo before FP1 was finalized, yet Ryu still isn't in game

Monster Hunter got more Merit for FP2 because I say by the time Base Roster AND FP1 were Finalized or Near Finalized, World had just come out, so World couldn't be used to just the merits of Playable Hunter. World was the game that put Monster Hunter on the Map in the West, and it's why The West is now getting the Previously Japanesse Exclusive Monster Hunter Directs here too.

2 Characters from the Same company in the Same Fighter Pass Isn't Impossible i guess, I just don't think many would find that reasonable, At least in the Same Pass. Chief is a Big enough Character to perhaps warrant this Situation, But I don't know if that happen

Something I'm bringing up, but Apprantly Sakurai's Company, Sora Ltd, Technically only has 2 Permanent Employees in Sakurai himself and His Wife. So yeah every Employee is Probably Contractor, And I think how much Namco makes up The Development team is probably bigger than I was expecting this whole Time. I also found out that the Made Branch of Nintendo and Sora Ltd, Sora Games, Actually is defunt and only made one game: Kid Icarus Uprising, So If Sakurai Retires or Goes onto the Next Plane of Existence, I Imagine that unless his Wife Can manage to run things on her own, Sora Ltd. Might die off as well. As For Smash, I Imagine Namco is looking like the best Option if they want to Contract someone other than Sakurai for Smash, or Maybe Sakurai already has a Apprentice we don't know about

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Considering that Monster Hunter now has a movie coming out, I doubt that either the MH dev team or Capcom is super stingy with the IP. If Hollywood can get the hunter, so can Nintendo.
Considering what that trailer showed of the plot, I think they've actually become QUITE generous with the IP...

No offense, but why are they still trusting the guy who made the Resident Evil films to make a Monster Hunter movie?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Considering what that trailer showed of the plot, I think they've actually become QUITE generous with the IP...

No offense, but why are they still trusting the guy who made the Resident Evil films to make a Monster Hunter movie?
Didn't those flims make money though?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Well I can think of one reason...
1602892477192.png

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I know they're probably made by different people, but now I want to see the MH movie fights just have them using guns at such close range and frequency that they might as well be punching each other and running in circles shooting at each other's feet. Y'know, that one. Someone's gotta know about that one.

SKX31

Smash Master
View attachment 289490
I know they're probably made by different people, but now I want to see the MH movie fights just have them using guns at such close range and frequency that they might as well be punching each other and running in circles shooting at each other's feet. Y'know, that one. Someone's gotta know about that one.
Gotcha guys.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I'm not sure how many millions of $ was spent during these 52 seconds, or how many rounds...

But it was certainly worth it. :4pacman:

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Didn't those flims make money though?
View attachment 289490
My main concern is that, while MH has grown a LOT over the past years, I don't know if its grown enough for a full blown movie to be successful. It doesn't help that the plot looks pretty generic (some random military force that I highly doubt exists in the games gets sucked into Monster Hunter Land), but that's probably just my opinion.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Actually just thinking about it

What if FP2 is actually More Western Focused than FP1. I don't know if that's actually what's going to happen, but would be Crazy if this is the route they take.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
My main concern is that, while MH has grown a LOT over the past years, I don't know if its grown enough for a full blown movie to be successful. It doesn't help that the plot looks pretty generic (some random military force that I highly doubt exists in the games gets sucked into Monster Hunter Land), but that's probably just my opinion.
There’s plenty of creative freedom with the Monster Hunter movie That DOESN’T involve what Anderson’s doing. The movie doesn’t look like it’ll be successful BECAUSE of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom