• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My main problem with the idea that DLC will only attract new audiences is that it completely destroys any excuse for how little effort was put into the base game by comparison. By sacrificing new content for all veterans, they nerfed the newcomer rate for the base game. But now they've spent more time on the DLC than the release window of the game, and that feels blatantly unfair to what they could have added from the start. And that's just for newcomer speculation. Going back to unpopular opinions, I maintain that Ultimate's base game was not all that decently put together, and would be remarkably close to being as unmemorable as 4 if not for a few advantages.

I'm not even inherently saying you're wrong, but I know why many of us won't want to admit that. I've waited 8 years for a new character from Kirby and I definitely won't be happy if I have to wait longer. I'm sure there's a possibility we're stuck with the three characters we have as long as Sakurai's directing; but the idea nothing can be done destroys people.
I’m not sure that I agree with the idea that base game had “little work” put into it.

While we had the smallest newcomer batch in Smash history, we also had...Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Young Link, Pichu, Wolf, a revamped “story mode”, nearly 1,000 unique battles for Spirits, revamped stages from 3DS and older titles (nearly 300 stages with battlefield and omega forms) nearly 1,000 music tracks...not to mention “thousands” of small gameplay/balancing changes that Sakurai mentioned in the E3 reveal. “Content” goes waaaaaaaay beyond newcomers.

I mean, Ultimate is arguably one of the best balanced fighting games out there, which is unheard of for a game with roughly 80+ characters.

All of which was only possible because Smash Wii U was used as a base, allowing for much of the time to be spent bringing those characters back, who were mind you, incredibly highly requested at the time.

While it’s your opinion and you’re not wrong for it, you’re saying you would trade away requested characters in exchange for...the requested character that you want, or at least you’re not satisfied with the highly requested characters we got. Again, that’s your opinion...but I think it’s a tad unfair to say base game wasn’t a quality experience.

I can understand being disappointed with not having your most wanted in, but if you feel “destroyed” by it, you might want to consider taking a break.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Tomorrow (or today depending on your time zone), we finally get Challenger Pack 7:

So who is ready to talk about Challenger Pack 8?

Shroob

Sup?
Tomorrow (or today depending on your time zone), we finally get Challenger Pack 7:

That's what we've been doing since October 1st.

Hell, I'm seeing people think it'll drop NEXT MONTH.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Imagine telling someone 5 years ago this was a Smash screenshot

this still feels surreal lol

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
That's what we've been doing since October 1st.

Hell, I'm seeing people think it'll drop NEXT MONTH.
How? Sakurai has dropped multiple hints that he's been having trouble getting meetings to happen, and the next fighter is the most likely to have been affected by that. If anything, the next fighter could be the longest wait of them all, besides Min Min.

Shroob

Sup?
How? Sakurai has dropped multiple hints that he's been having trouble getting meetings to happen, and the next fighter is the most likely to have been affected by that. If anything, the next fighter could be the longest wait of them all, besides Min Min.
I seriously doubt they will.

I've already done the math but Min Min was revealed 88 days after her teaser in March.

Steve was revealed 101 days after Min Min, but the delayed tournaments and news 100% confirms he was held back to line up with the week of Minecon, otherwise he would have been slightly earlier than Min Min.

I know there's abit of pessimism about when the characters will come out, but frankly speaking, the 2nd FP has only been roughly 2 weeks-a month longer than FP1 so far.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If were basing on when to get the next character on days. We should get the next one sometime in late January as that hits the 100 day mark.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure we'll just see the next character at the VGAs. It's a reasonable time frame between characters and I feel like the only reason they didn't do it last year was because the character was... well, you know.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm pretty sure we'll just see the next character at the VGAs. It's a reasonable time frame between characters and I feel like the only reason they didn't do it last year was because the character was... well, you know.
I wouldnt hold your breath tbh.

A reminder that Joker being revealed was a last minute decision. Still expecting a January reveal and release.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I wouldnt hold your breath tbh.

A reminder that Joker being revealed was a last minute decision. Still expecting a January reveal and release.
I'm not holding my breath, it's just my throwaway prediction. If it's January so be it, I've waited longer and I have other things going on anyway.

Any source on Joker being a last minute decision? First time I'm hearing that, and nothing stopping them from doing it again. But I'm not really willing to get into a deep conversation about this until Steve releases at least lmao.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Whoever added Bomberman to this pic should've picked a more neutral pose. And let's not talk about the Vault Boy they used.

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
So it seems in order to celebrate the Crown Tundra coming out, Nintendo is doing a rerun of the Pokemon event in Tetris 99:
You know what else could reuse content previously added? My mom!! A gen 8 Pokemon and the Post release spirits. Just some food for thought.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I wouldn’t count on the VGAs having a Smash reveal. It is possible, but I think Joker was only there because the VGAs happened mere hours before Ultimate launched. That was perfect marketing.

Another random week in January is the safe bet. That’s not too long of a wait especially with all the games & consoles coming out soon, as well as the holidays!

I’m playing through FF7 Remake & I wonder if this game’s soundtrack has the same rights issues as the original. There’s so many bangers in this game that I’d love in Smash. Some people would probably be mad at another FF7 character being the next Square rep, but Tifa would be so cool.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don’t EXPECT a whole lot from TGA this year but damn am I hoping it’s at least 10x better than last years. Last years was a major oof.
Man, last year was just funny though.

"Look at the UNGREATFUL Smash fans saying that the TGAs sucked!"

"...man maybe we're saying it sucked cause it had ****ing Green Day and ended on goddamn Fast and Furious?"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So... y'know how Nintendo of America tweeted that "Fall 2021" amiibo graphic, and then deleted it? Turns out... Nintendo of Canada tweeted the same thing on the exact same day... and the tweet is still up.

This thing keeps on getting stranger and stranger. This isn't limbo anymore... this is... ADVANCED LIMBO.
NoA deleted the tweet solely to make Smash fans suffer confirmed.

Also, as for the CastleVania discussion, Simon was a character people requested forever ago and I think the 34 songs and simplistic moveset makes it seem like he's been here since Brawl.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
So it seems in order to celebrate the Crown Tundra coming out, Nintendo is doing a rerun of the Pokemon event in Tetris 99:
You know what else could reuse content previously added? My mom!! A gen 8 Pokemon and the Post release spirits. Just some food for thought.
Interesting... Wonder what are the chances of a Crown Tundra spirit event happening soon...

Also, unrelated to Smash, but it's been a while since Tetris 99's had a Top 999 Maximus Cup. Really miss those.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Man, last year was just funny though.

"Look at the UNGREATFUL Smash fans saying that the TGAs sucked!"

"...man maybe we're saying it sucked cause it had ****ing Green Day and ended on goddamn Fast and Furious?"
**** on Fast and Furious all you want. Even **** on Chvrches. Maybe even **** on Geoff or Sekiro winning goty. But dude, Green Day was the best part of that show.

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
I still think about the 2018 Game Awards to this very day, such a banger showcase. Mortal Kombat 11 was revealed, Dead Cells won an award, the RDR2 song being performed, Joker in smash. In comparison 2019 was such a massive letdown, and I don't expect much from 2020's either.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Interesting... Wonder what are the chances of a Crown Tundra spirit event happening soon...

Also, unrelated to Smash, but it's been a while since Tetris 99's had a Top 999 Maximus Cup. Really miss those.
Oh god oh **** getting a Spirit event for Crown Tundra but not Isle of Armour practically cements Urshifu as a lock in the eyes of many, causing people to complain about Pokemon getting 11 characters, Pokemon fans complaining that Urshifu isn't Pokemon-y enough and pro players complaining when it's gimmick is ignoring shields to be true to the games

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I’m not sure that I agree with the idea that base game had “little work” put into it.

While we had the smallest newcomer batch in Smash history, we also had...Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Young Link, Pichu, Wolf, a revamped “story mode”, nearly 1,000 unique battles for Spirits, revamped stages from 3DS and older titles (nearly 300 stages with battlefield and omega forms) nearly 1,000 music tracks...not to mention “thousands” of small gameplay/balancing changes that Sakurai mentioned in the E3 reveal. “Content” goes waaaaaaaay beyond newcomers.

I mean, Ultimate is arguably one of the best balanced fighting games out there, which is unheard of for a game with roughly 80+ characters.

All of which was only possible because Smash Wii U was used as a base, allowing for much of the time to be spent bringing those characters back, who were mind you, incredibly highly requested at the time.

While it’s your opinion and you’re not wrong for it, you’re saying you would trade away requested characters in exchange for...the requested character that you want, or at least you’re not satisfied with the highly requested characters we got. Again, that’s your opinion...but I think it’s a tad unfair to say base game wasn’t a quality experience.

I can understand being disappointed with not having your most wanted in, but if you feel “destroyed” by it, you might want to consider taking a break.
I completely agree..the amount of content in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is staggering! The fact anyone could call it 'lazy' is just..amazing. Ludicrous, but amazing.
And, lets be honest, had 'Everyone Is Here' not been a thing, even if we would have gotten more newcomers, we also would have likely gotten veterans like Snake & Wolf as DLC instead of every DLC character being a brand new character with a brand new stage.

I'm happier having everyone from the previous games return, and no cuts, than I would be for some random newcomers that I may not have even liked in the first place.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I completely agree..the amount of content in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is staggering! The fact anyone could call it 'lazy' is just..amazing. Ludicrous, but amazing.
And, lets be honest, had 'Everyone Is Here' not been a thing, even if we would have gotten more newcomers, we also would have likely gotten veterans like Snake & Wolf as DLC instead of every DLC character being a brand new character with a brand new stage.

I'm happier having everyone from the previous games return, and no cuts, than I would be for some random newcomers that I may not have even liked in the first place.
If I may; plenty of the fighters and stages skipped over one, two, or even three whole games, meaning that Sakurai's team most likely had to remake a lot of them entirely from scratch. Stages like Brinstar Depths and Saffron City, for example. It's just cathartic to have so much stuff back.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anyone else think we're not going to get another Pokémon?
I'm 60/40 on the chances for a Gen 8 Pokemon. Seems to me that Game Freak and The Pokemon Company really only do Nintendo-wide crossovers on sufferance.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So I’ve been listening to and playing (mostly listening to) a metric ton of You Don’t Know Jack, and I’ve been brainstorming; how could that franchise be represented in Smash? Just a shower thought.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I sure hope that's the case. :p
Me too. I just hope if there has to be another one, that they’re really cool. I really hope it’s not one of the starters, they’re definitely my least favorite bunch of starters. I dropped my starter from my team when it just evolved into thwacky. They’re all boring. Drum gorilla, okay. Skinny salamander, alright... Soccer (football) bunny? Bizarre. Gen 7’s starters were way better even though I didn’t really like primarina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom