• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
So here's a fun little factoid about Steve's inclusion into Smash.
More specifically, the inclusion of Alex, Enderman, and Zombie as alts.
If we include alts:
-Alex is now the very first character to appear in the Smash alphabet, as she now precedes Alph.
-Enderman is the very first character to start with the letter E in the roster.
-Zombie is now the very last character to appear alphabetically, beating out Zero Suit Samus.

Just thought this was interesting enough to share. :)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I can't wait for next week when most people start complaining about Steve, as they do whenever a new DLC character comes out. Some characters might be screwed from the blocks off stage. RIP Ness mains.
I think Ness will be fine actually. PK Thunder isn't an attack most characters want to try and challenge unless they're already primed to do so, and Steve's mobility sucks so he won't exactly be diving offstage to edgeguard. I don't think blocks would be effective against him either since PK Thunder's projectile seems to have a grace period at the start of the attack where it doesn't disappear when hitting anything that isn't part of the stage.

Granted, he does have to worry about Down Tilt 2-frames and TNT ledgetraps (potentially Minecart as well), but everyone has to worry about that.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So here's a fun little factoid about Steve's inclusion into Smash.
More specifically, the inclusion of Alex, Enderman, and Zombie as alts.
If we include alts:
-Alex is now the very first character to appear in the Smash alphabet, as she now precedes Alph.
-Enderman is the very first character to start with the letter E in the roster.
-Zombie is now the very last character to appear alphabetically, beating out Zero Suit Samus.

Just thought this was interesting enough to share. :)
Three cheers for trivia! Hip hip-

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm willing to accept Mickey as the one non video game character under one condition.

We get official remixes for tracks from World of Illusion.
Magical Quest is better.
I really hope they update the game’s intro to include all of the DLC characters when everything’s finished. There’s some amazing characters in the DLC & I’d love for them to be in fantastic intro.
I'm still SUPER pissed that they stopped making these videos for all the DLC characters, as I was really looking forward to seeing one with everyone at the end.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Probably short for Arthur
Yeah, I thought it was a katakana version of a Western name. Arusu is just an awkward name, and doesn't sound like a standard Japanese name anyways. I thought it's make more sense if he had a more Western name that would flow better, especially given the medieval Europe-esque setting of Dragon Quest, but I didn't now exactly what.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I have a hunch that we'll get a third Fighters Pass containing 3 challenger packs; not only that, but also between CP8 and the hypothetical CP14, ONE of those CPs will get an second fighter bundled with them, whether it be as a fully unique fighter or as an echo fighter.

:ultlink: Here's a Link to an image from my Google Drive because SmashBoards is having a hissy fit right now and won't let me upload my image. Take a look at this stage select screen. Even when we account for Spring Stadium (represented by a smiley face here because this picture didn't have the stage), there's still 8 slots left. I'm unsure about the fighters select screen or how Steve will affect it, though.

Shroob

Sup?
I have a hunch that we'll get a third Fighters Pass containing 3 challenger packs; not only that, but also between CP8 and the hypothetical CP14, ONE of those CPs will get an second fighter bundled with them, whether it be as a fully unique fighter or as an echo fighter.

:ultlink: Here's a Link to an image from my Google Drive because SmashBoards is having a hissy fit right now and won't let me upload my image. Take a look at this stage select screen. Even when we account for Spring Stadium (represented by a smiley face here because this picture didn't have the stage), there's still 8 slots left. I'm unsure about the fighters select screen or how Steve will affect it, though.
Technically incorrect, since you're missing the custom stage button, meaning there's only 2 missing spots.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Technically incorrect, since you're missing the custom stage button, meaning there's only 2 missing spots.
YIKES! I forgot about that.
YIKES!.png

Granted, I'm deadass seeing people on Reddit say now this means CP8 won't come til fall 2021 now and.... well, they have at the very least, if nothing else, two functioning brain cells.
I think that's dumb even if they're being ironic about it.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
YIKES! I forgot about that.
View attachment 288543

I think that's dumb even if they're being ironic about it.
But yeah, with only 2 missing spots on the SSS, I'm skeptical. They absolutely could just give us a 3rd pass, but we also now have precedence that Stages can come completely alone thanks to Small Battlefield being dropped on us.

I'm kinda leaning on a 'no' for a 3rd pass, partly due to Sakurai's comment, and partly due to me just expecting 1-2 more random stages to come eventually.

OR, they could just not be filled at all, but I kinda doubt that.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm kinda leaning on a 'no' for a 3rd pass, partly due to Sakurai's comment, and partly due to me just expecting 1-2 more random stages to come eventually.
I'm of the camp where I don't expect a 3rd pass, but at the same time if they decide to make one I absolutely would not be surprised.

Smash, especially Ultimate, practically ****in' prints money. Nintendo likes money. Sakurai's said he wants to ride this train as far as he can because he knows a crossover like this is a once-in-a-lifetime type deal.

I could see them deciding to keep going, even if it's just like 3 extra characters.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
A third pass would rely on a lot of ideal circumstances coming together for fans and development. Like, there's no way to understate the fact that Ultimate will have had 3 full years of post launch support and been in development for just over 5 full years by the end of Volume 2. Even for a game that has done so exceptionally well as Ultimate, this is an unprecedented amount of support from Nintendo on one title and it's not one they could so easily carry over to the next generation like other current games as a service models. It depends on if Sakurai is still willing to work on Smash, if Sora Ltd. and Bandai Namco can still stay together as a team and are signed on for another several months of work, if Nintendo is willing to continue funding such a project, and arguably the most important factor: What are Nintendo's long term plans for Switch and the next Nintendo console.

Like if Nintendo is going to rely on Switch for another 3-4 years before talking a new console, there might be a more compelling argument to be made in favor of continuing to support Smash Ultimate. But if a new console is only a year or so away by the end of Volume 2 (which is going to be almost 5 years into the Switch), then it makes sense to cut support and be looking to the future of Smash for that next console with or without Sakurai TBH.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Any character fans don't like: "Poor Sakurai. They forced him to add that stupid character."
Any character fans like: "LOOK AT HOW HAPPY SAKURAI IS!! EVEN HE WANTED THIS TO HAPPEN!!"
Sakurai: *Has identical facial expressions in each trailer.
I think my favorite example of this is when people were talking about Minecraft and started referencing Banjo & Kazooie as characters that Sakurai had so much more passion for and I was utterly confused considering Banjo & Kazooie seemed like his least enthusiastic presentation so far.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know, if that Crash document was real, and Activision was trying to Get Crash in by 2020-2021, I would at least expect some Heavy Rumors about Crash around the base, like there was with Microsoft, especially considering they are Western Company. Of course Crash might not have even been considered back then either because in 2015 he was still dead, and Crash Trilogy only came to Switch in 2018. So he might have been a recent suggestion

However, Considering that negotations (Especially with Western Companies) could take awhile, and I'm guessing that negotating with Activision specifically could prove a little difficult. I mean, it's not just Crash being discussed, but it's also The whole universe that needs to be taken into account. I guess if Activision really does want it and is not gonna try to squeeze much money out of Nintendo, it could be a Smooth Process.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What chances do you guys think lloyd being playable is now?
I wouldn't put his chances particularly high.

With Nintendo choosing the characters and consulting Sakurai to ask them if he can "make them work" I would imagine that Lloyd's Nintendo close-ness won't win him any points in the selection process anymore. Rather, I think they'll go with who's popular and who appeals most to the Tales fanbase, which from my admittedly limited knowledge of the Tales fanbase, is Yuri Lowell. Combine that with FP2 seeing the return of skipped mii costumes, one of which being Lloyd, and I think there's a good chance Lloyd's been passed over.

And that's even if the Tales of series is even chosen to begin with.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If we get a Bandai Namco character it's him, but with Bandai Namco apparently not caring about having their stuff in Smash and the trend of their Mii Costumes coming back I think it's equally likely that they'll end up with no fighters this Pass.

Shroob

Sup?
At this point I'd be shocked if Namco got anything. I honestly see Lloyd's mii costume missing as more of a bad thing more than anything, considering that the last 2 dlc characters all came with a single Namco costume each. Lloyd's either in, or his days are numbered, and I'm hedging my bets on the latter option if I'm being truthful, to the point that I kinda expect him to be our next 1 returning costume come FP8.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I think his Mii Costume is coming soon. We're not getting a Tales of rep. If we're getting a Namco character I'd think Sakurai would either go for nobody, or for a Dark Souls character. Other characters such as KOS-MOS and Dig Dug are very unlikely.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
DevaAshera DevaAshera
Sorry I didn't respond to you the other day! I had assumed you just posted the sad Asuka and moseyed along. Didn't even see your actual post.
Anyway, you know how Travis was owned by Marvelous? As well as Daemon X Machina? Well, assuming they're slowly putting all their cards on the table, we could either see the Harvest Moon Story of Seasons farmer or...
suspicious_small.png
Also Hibari is best girl

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I think my favorite example of this is when people were talking about Minecraft and started referencing Banjo & Kazooie as characters that Sakurai had so much more passion for and I was utterly confused considering Banjo & Kazooie seemed like his least enthusiastic presentation so far.
Eh.

Smash fans tend to make a big deal out of observations that they make regarding his demeanor.

Sakurai was probably just exhausted not just from the pressure of making Steve right, but Minecraft is also just a massive brand to be tampering with.

On the note about Sakurai's lack of enthusiasm for BK, though, I kind of disagree.

I think it only comes off that way since he absolutely nerded out over Terry and he actively shares his passion for the other series in Vol. 1 lol.

EjatHk9XcAA8nfW.jpeg

I mean, I'm not going to convince all of you that Sakurai is a BK stan, but considering how he mentioned how surreal it was for Nintendo to make a modern figure of BK, he understands why the character is special to some people, and that willingness to embrace characters that even he may not be too familiar with is admirable.

The reality is that since Sakurai has never written a Famitsu article about BK, his feelings about the character are ambiguous.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Not every announcement is Smash related.
You don't always have to resort to dunking on the Smash fan base because you lack the ability to start a meaningful discussion. Not only was it completely irrelevant to the topic at hand but this thread is actually quite civil right now and very few people, if any, have completely latched onto the newest leak of the week, so I feel like your comment comes across as unnecessary.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
You don't always have to resort to dunking on the Smash fan base because you lack the ability to start a meaningful discussion. Not only was it completely irrelevant to the topic at hand but this thread is actually quite civil right now and very few people, if any, have completely latched onto the newest leak of the week, so I feel like your comment comes across as unnecessary.
Hmm, you're right.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
I want to pose the question: If making the Smash Roster an even 100, your “perfect” roster, who would need to be there?
I made some necessary changes in my old list, made after Byleth and before Min-Min:
  • Yellow: characters I want
  • Red: deconfirmed characters
  • Green: confirmed characters

Fighter #76: Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Fighter #77: The Knight (Hollow Knight)
Fighter #78: Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Fighter #79: Shantae (Shantae)
Fighter #80: Kratos (God of War)
Fighter #81: Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
Fighter #82: Steve (Minecraft)
Fighter #83: Big Daddy (BioShock)
Fighter #84: Professor Layton (Professor Layton)

Fighter #85: Rillaboom or Toxtricity (Pokémon Sword and Shield)
Fighter #86: Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
Fighter #87: Marco Rossi (with the other Peregrine Falcons as alts) (Metal Slug)
Fighter #88: Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Fighter #89: Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
Fighter #90: Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
Fighter #91: character from Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Fighter #92: Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon)
Fighter #93: Dr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Fighter #94: Master Chief (Halo)
Fighter #95: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Fighter #96: Dante (Devil May Cry)
Fighter #97: Doomguy (Doom)
Fighter #98: Heihachi (Tekken)
Fighter #99: KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
Fighter #100: Rayman (Rayman)

To replace the remaining character I'd say:
Fighter #98: Gordon Freeman (Half-Life)

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Oh yeah! I forgot about that.

If that’s the case I could see; for the remainder of FP2:

Ryu Hayabusa
Gen. VIII Pokémon
Rex & Pyra
Geno or Sora

For the pure speculation of FP3:

Impa (Young Impa; I want it so bad.)
Euden
Monster Hunter
Geno or Sora (Whichever didn’t make it in FP2.)

I want to pose the question: If making the Smash Roster an even 100, your “perfect” roster, who would need to be there?
Here's mine:
The ones in teal are my most wanted.
77: Steve & Alex (Already in.)
78: Bandana Dee (Kirby)
79: Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
80: Toxtricity (Pokemon)
81: Heavy (Team Fortress)

82: Sackboy (Little Big Planet)
83: Poochy (Yoshi's Island)
84: The Shake King (Wario Land)
85: Earthworm Jim (Earthworm Jim)

86: Ratchet & Clank (Ratchet & Clank)
87: Hornet (Daytona USA)
88: Ganon (Zelda, pig version)
89: Dark Matter (Kirby)
90: Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
91: George/Ralph/Lizzie (Rampage)
92: Rayman (Rayman)

93: Octane (Rocket League)
94: Amaterasu (Okami)

95: Dr. Eggman (Sonic)
96: King Boo (Luigi's Mansion)
97: Maxwell (Sribblenauts)

98: Wobbler (Totally Accurate Battle Sim)
99: Henry Stickmin (The HS Collection)
100: Space Invaders (Space Invaders)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom