• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Makes sense, I expected characters I wanted throughout the DLC. FP7 was the only one I was pessimistic about and expected someone I didn't like, which caught me off guard when one of my most wanted characters got in.
The Screw You Spirits are funny. Stop expecting someone, and they'll let them pass. Get anxious about the Miis, and someone dies.
I really hope they update the game’s intro to include all of the DLC characters when everything’s finished. There’s some amazing characters in the DLC & I’d love for them to be in fantastic intro.
Yeah, it'd be nice to make them feel more like they're a part of Smash. Maybe for a hypothetical definitive edition for after all the DLC, be it for the Switch 2 or still on the Switch.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I really hope they update the game’s intro to include all of the DLC characters when everything’s finished. There’s some amazing characters in the DLC & I’d love for them to be in fantastic intro.
Along with this, I really hope they sell a definitive edition of the game at some point. For people who are new, hopping into Ultimate's full experience right now ain't cheap.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Along with this, I really hope they sell a definitive edition of the game at some point. For people who are new, hopping into Ultimate's full experience right now ain't cheap.
i hope they don't charge upward of $120 though glares at the new SwSh edition with DLC already included

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
yall need to learn to use the word Leakbait right
There’s only one way to use it:

“oh I’m wrong. The character I said must’ve been leakbait then”

Isn’t it odd that “Leak Bait” only started popping up so recently?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I still love the short term narrative people tried to push off Sakurai's joke about the higher-ups at Nintendo.

"See?! Nintendo MADE him do it! He didn't WANT to add Minecraft!"

And then...

View attachment 288535
His problem was that he's too devoted to the game. He didn't think he could do the series justice, which is probably why he kept putting them off for so long.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
i hope they don't charge upward of $120 though glares at the new SwSh edition with DLC already included
Wait, the swsh bundles are going for $120? That’s more than it costs to just buy the base game and the DLC!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I still love the short term narrative people tried to push off Sakurai's joke about the higher-ups at Nintendo.

And then...

View attachment 288535
The dude had a whole column dedicated to Minecraft, for pete's sake

Fr though, you can always tell when Sakurai loves a character's game of origin. And Steve is no no different, dare I say he got the most love and effort out of everyone. Even the smallest details, like pulling out a bed when asleep, or the teabag taunt really shows he cares about these characters and their games.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord

And then...

View attachment 288535
Fake, you can clearly see a red dot sight in Sakurai's pupil when he said that quote. Microsoft is holding him hostage in order to finally sell more XBOX in Japan.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
His problem was that he's too devoted to the game. He didn't think he could do the series justice, which is probably why he kept putting them off for so long.
No I doubt that. If he could’ve implemented Steve in Smash For he would’ve. It’s more likely that legal discussions went on for a really long time. Which probably wrapped up around the height of Ultimates reveal. Then conceptualization and double checking with parties that include not just the Japanese Nintendo but also the American Microsoft as well as the Swedish Mojang. That’s a possible 3 language barrier that probably took a really REALLY long time to coordinate things with.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
No I doubt that. If he could’ve implemented Steve in Smash For he would’ve. It’s more likely that legal discussions went on for a really long time. Which probably wrapped up around the height of Ultimates reveal. Then conceptualization and double checking with parties that include not just the Japanese Nintendo but also the American Microsoft as well as the Swedish Mojang. That’s a possible 3 language barrier that probably took a really REALLY long time to coordinate things with.
Well, that too. Still, he explicitly stated that he thought it would be impossible, and mentioned how he can turn a fighter down if he didn't think they were realizable. I feel like Nintendo's been pestering him for a while until he finally went "FINE, I'll see what I can do."

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
You guys think Steve is gonna be the most complex DLC character out of FP2?
Yes, I think we are looking a case similar to FP1 where the more complex characters (Joker and Hero) were released first and the characters got more simple as they were released. The team likely decide the release would be focus on getting the more complex and challenging ones to make out first just to get out of the way.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You guys think Steve is gonna be the most complex DLC character out of FP2?
Certainly. He’s the most complex character in the whole game.

Unless you think Terry or Ken is hard to play, I guess.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Man, December 10th, and the days leading up to it, are gonna suck.

"DAE think reveal at TGAS?!"

"No, we didn't get one last year."

"But maybe this year???"

"Steve only came out two months ago."

"That doesn't mean anything!"

....fun times ahead friends.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
They could always do a VGA reveal for a January/February release.
The problem there is that Nintendo basically has everything super close to their chest now after the pandemic began.

If Byleth, Min Min and Steve are any indication, it seems like Nintendo doesn't want month long gaps between a character's reveal and release anymore. All of those characters released very shortly after their reveal, in about 1-2 weeks.

Last edited:

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
-Minecraft
-Simple

lol

No but seriously, you have no idea how far down that rabbit hole goes.
I mean yes I fully realize how complicated you can make the experience if you'd like, but there is a core simplicity there that exists.
The experience is as complicated as you want it to be. Sure you could build a computer out of redstone, or build something absolutely amazing to dab on the plebians, but you don't need to for the full Minecraft experience. I imagine the vast majority of players have a lot of fun just screwing around with their friends - I know that's what I did.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean yes I fully realize how complicated you can make the experience if you'd like, but there is a core simplicity there that exists.
The experience is as complicated as you want it to be. Sure you could build a computer out of redstone, or build something absolutely amazing to dab on the plebians, but you don't need to for the full Minecraft experience. I imagine the vast majority of players have a lot of fun just screwing around with their friends - I know that's what I did.
When you put it that way, it makes sense. We want complicated and loyal movesets, so that's what Steve is.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Expect a 100 days distance between characters, this will give us a schedule like:

CP8: Late January
CP9: Late April/Early May
CP10: First half August
CP11: Mid November

All reveals would be like 7 to 15 days before the fighters releases. With this calendar, don’t expect E3 or general direct reveals.

Hoped that in the middle, each 50 days, they gave us something cool.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yes, I think we are looking a case similar to FP1 where the more complex characters (Joker and Hero) were released first and the characters got more simple as they were released. The team likely decide the release would be focus on getting the more complex and challenging ones to make out first just to get out of the way.
That would make more sense if Banjo came after Terry. Terry may be easier than Ryu/Ken, but they still had to program in his super move gimmick and forward/back specials.

Shroob

Sup?
Expect a 100 days distance between characters, this will give us a schedule like:

CP8: Late January
CP9: Late April/Early May
CP10: First half August
CP11: Mid November

All reveals would be like 7 to 15 days before the fighters releases. With this calendar, don’t expect E3 or general direct reveals.

Hoped that in the middle, each 50 days, they gave us something cool.
I can't see a world where they skip E3, I just really don't.

Possible, yes, but I dunno.

Shroob

Sup?
Assuming COVID persists at that point or we don't have a vaccine by then.
Well obviously in that case, but I'm still skeptical on the supposed spring reveal/release combo.

I think late winter, summer and fall are all obvious times, but spring will be soo damn close to E3 that I have a hard time seeing it, but then again the issue is that if we don't get a reveal in spring and wait til E3, that's a 5~ month gap.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

I always wanted to try Super Princess Peach... but poor Mario. Guess this is revenge for Donkey Kong Jr.

As for a E3 reveal... it all depends on if there's a E3 this upcoming year... and even then Nintendo may not want Smash there for who knows what reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom