• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
CP7: Oh please let me smash up some smash bros this month, the wait is driving me crazy.
Furukawa restrains CP7 using the arcane magic called Marketing Strategy

"Nope. Bad CP7. Here, have a biscuit. And the beta test room to practice in."

CP7 grumbles but returns to the practice room. Furukawa soon tells CP7 :

"And remember, I'm calling the shots here. I'll tell Sakurai when he can Cry Havoc, and let slip the dogs of war."

:4pacman:

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
So, this week is 99% likely out at this point for an announcement. I'm still feeling good about next week, though; It'd line up with what we've been getting from Nintendo so far.

Still not counting out the possibility Pokemon or Animal Crossing boot Smash into the following weeks, though. :nifty:

MooMew64

Think I'll shift my vote to October, just in case. Still, with everything lining up I'd predict the week of the 4th at the very most.
If it is next week, it's probably gonna be on a Friday, so it'll technically go into October. Only way it's still happening this month is if we get an announcement tomorrow for a presentation on Monday, and I'm personally not really betting on that being likely.

D

Deleted member

I am changing to October too.

If it ends up being September, I will not cumplain at all.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
28/9-4/10 - Smash CP7 presentation (release date: the week after)
5/10-11/10 - Animal Crossing Fall Update
12/10-18/10 - October Partner Showcase
19/10-25/10 - Nothing (or maybe an small e-shop game)
26/10-1/11 - Pokemon Presentation (Sword/Shield DLC Details, more Unite and New Snap info)

In november we will not get new announcements, in december they are TGA, which nintendo always announces 1 or 3 things, so I hope they announced which is their march 2021 game (hope it is Metroid 2D :) ). Then I think we can get a new indies presentation like last year with more 2021 (and some stealth releases) releases

I think that their January game is either New Pokemon Snap or Bravely Default II. Or maybe both O_O .

Edit: And I suppose that in early december, they will release summer AC NH update (or early january? I don’t play AC so I don’t know too much ha)

Last edited:

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking the October update for ACNH will be next week, as I'm led to believe it's pretty meaty and will probably be started as early as possible in October. Wouldn't rule out Smash, but yeah.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
the wait for this pass has been pretty ridiculous so far all things considered (the pass came out 8 months ago)

Even with covid i wonder if something weird is happening at nintendo

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
the wait for this pass has been pretty ridiculous so far all things considered (the pass came out 8 months ago)

Fun fact, It's now been a longer wait from Min Min's reveal to now, than it was the initial ARMS confirmation to Min Min

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

That's probably the case. COVID did a number to Nintendo's marketing department, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it - and the stay-at-home order - caused delays within the development teams.

Yes, Sakurai did state that things were going well back in late April (IIRC), but I wouldn't be surprised if small delays here and there have simply accumulated over the months.

It's worth pointing out - and emphasizing - that Nintendo's historically kept most of the research and development teams in Kyoto / Tokyo*. As such, they've probably never had the same need to build the same kind of cloud / remote working infrastructure that other companies (Microsoft, Ubisoft etc.) have built up over the past decade. The sudden need to A) build up and maintain cloud working infrastructure within Japan and B) having a workforce that's probably not used to working via the cloud transition to it probably caused delays by itself.

Fun fact, It's now been a longer wait from Min Min's reveal to now, than it was the initial ARMS confirmation to Min Min
I'm going to go against the grain here, but personally I don't mind the wait that much. Quality first and foremost, IMHO: I don't want to imagine Min Min releasing earlier - with possibly even more bugs than the T-Pose glitch. Or Joker for that matter, since he had the glitch with Pokemon Trainer that filled his Rebel's Gauge meter really quickly (and got Joker + PT banned in doubles until a patch fixed the glitch).

So yeah, it's best to give Sakurai and co. the time they need, even if FP2's sales have suffered so far.

*" Nintendo Software Technology (NST) and Nintendo Technology Development (NTD) are located in Redmond, Washington, United States, while Nintendo European Research & Development (NERD) is located in Paris, France, and Nintendo Network Service Database (NSD) is located in Kyoto, Japan."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The wait for everything Nintendo has been hard because we're used to their being at least one big Info Dump Direct sometime during the year that would give us things to look foward to. Everything has been released in such small amounts, its been hard to handle the wait. I've just been going through older games to pass the time (outside of work, that is) while I wait. Luckily, I just noticed a nice sale on the Playstation Store. If nobody has ever played it, Tales of Beseria is available for $10. I've been told its pretty good.

MooMew64

That's probably the case. COVID did a number to Nintendo's marketing department, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it - and the stay-at-home order - caused delays within the development teams.

Yes, Sakurai did state that things were going well back in late April (IIRC), but I wouldn't be surprised if small delays here and there have simply accumulated over the months.

It's worth pointing out - and emphasizing - that Nintendo's historically kept most of the research and development teams in Kyoto / Tokyo*. As such, they've probably never had the same need to build the same kind of cloud / remote working infrastructure that other companies (Microsoft, Ubisoft etc.) have built up over the past decade. The sudden need to A) build up and maintain cloud working infrastructure within Japan and B) having a workforce that's probably not used to working via the cloud transition to it probably caused delays by itself.

I'm going to go against the grain here, but personally I don't mind the wait that much. Quality first and foremost, IMHO: I don't want to imagine Min Min releasing earlier - with possibly even more bugs than the T-Pose glitch. Or Joker for that matter, since he had the glitch with Pokemon Trainer that filled his Rebel's Gauge meter really quickly (and got Joker + PT banned in doubles until a patch fixed the glitch).

So yeah, it's best to give Sakurai and co. the time they need, even if FP2's sales have suffered so far.

*" Nintendo Software Technology (NST) and Nintendo Technology Development (NTD) are located in Redmond, Washington, United States, while Nintendo European Research & Development (NERD) is located in Paris, France, and Nintendo Network Service Database (NSD) is located in Kyoto, Japan."
This is how I've been viewing it, honestly. Nintendo is a pretty unique company in that, at least from what I've read from different publicly made sources and interviews, they do things pretty traditional. I can imagine the sudden need to shift into a more modern development philosophy and work culture overnight was quite the shock to their developers and executives, and probably caused a multitude of delays behind the scenes.

It's one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of trying to compare Nintendo's situation to Microsoft's and Sony's handling of the pandemic: They're incredibly different in both size and company culture that most of what you look at for Microsoft and Sony don't apply at Nintendo, and you can't just snap your fingers and get a completely new infrastructure and way of doing things in place immediately. Not to mention you also have to get your employees who are used to doing it the other way used to the new way as well, and that takes time too.

On the bright side of things, I imagine Nintendo is probably reaching a place soon here where they're stabilizing and starting to adapt to the new normal, and September's busy announcement schedule is seemingly proving that in my eyes. CP7 is gonna come, we just need patience.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity? She's already appeared in the trailer.

In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? She's about as good as disconfirmed due to the bonus Mii Costume, and the fact that this is the only game she'll be fighting fit in for a while, making her relevance tenuous at best. I think a The Legend of Zelda character's next shot is the next game, unfortunately.
The Bonus Mii costume ? What did I miss ?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So...

Likelihood aside. Do you feel Bandana Waddle Dee has earned his place in Smash Bros? As in, do you feel he deserves it?
Nobody "deserves" to be in Smash, but yeah I feel like Bandana Waddle Dee is more than eligible at this point, even with my personal bias aside

He's essentially the player 4 of Kirby, and I say he's next in line if the series gets another rep.

Last edited:

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
Nobody "deserves" to be in on Smash, but yeah I feel like Bandana Waddle Dee is more than eligible at this point
no. he’s a goomba with a hat

save spots for flagship characters of unrepresented franchises that have mainstream popularity

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
So...

Likelihood aside. Do you feel Bandana Waddle Dee has earned his place in Smash Bros? As in, do you feel he deserves it?
Between his appearances in marketing, spin-offs and mainline Kirby games in the last 10 years, it seems like everything but Smash has realized how prominent he is.

Why are we still using this argument with plant in the game?
Even it was a valid argument, it lacked any real punch the moment Piranha Plant got in.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
So...

My Personal issue is I don't think BWD Is worth 6 dollars, I think BWD Is shoe-in at some point in the smash series the only issue I see with him coming in Ultimate is the spirit board

Also there are no characters that DESERVE a spot

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As noted, the funny thing BWD is that his exclusion feels rooted not in any dislike or lack of interest in the character as it is a lack of interest in anything from Kirby post Super Star. Much like DK series feels limited to to elements from select games (with it taking a Smash Ballot to tell the creators that there was an interest in King K. Rool) Kirby just feels stuck in time, and what's included is reflective of such.

Discussions about BWD are also tricky because the Smash roster itself is too inconsistent in terms of its patterns and placement of characters to definitely say whether or not he brings enough necessary new elements to the game. Even beyond the allowance of echo fighters and clones, there will be many who can find a fighter in the title already and ask if they are that much more unique than a Bandana Waddle Dee. Whether or not they're right is up to opinion, but it is an element that makes arguments heated.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I understand the sentiment- each character we discuss is incapable of actually “deserving” a spot in Smash. They have no will of their own to do anything to “earn” a spot. Anything they are in is set up by developers and game designers, meaning that if anybody “deserved” anything, it would be game designers, directors, etc.

I personally find the “is X deserving of a spot in Smash?” To be a strange way to phrase it in my humble opinion. It frames it as a fictional character accomplishing something on their own to “earn” a spot that they technically didn’t do anything for. (I realize this is repetitive but I felt the need to make the point.)

In terms of Bandanna Waddle Dee, I enjoy Kirby games. I have enjoyed the games Bandanna Waddle Dee is in. That said, the character itself does nothing for me in context to Smash. It seems that the arguments made in favor of the character boil down to “is the 4th Kirby character” and “Kirby hasn’t gotten any new PC since Brawl”, neither of which seem like strong arguments to me. As a series with a relatively substantial amount of content in Smash comparatively, I would rather have a Challenger Pack that brings a “first character” from something rather than adding #4 from a series we’ve seen a lot of.

It’s nothing against the Kirby series- Last game I played was Robobot and it was fantastic! I don’t think I’ve played a poor Kirby game maybe ever, but that doesn’t reflect my thoughts on BWD. It isn’t to say that people shouldn’t support the character, support who you like. He simply doesn’t do much of anything for me.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay if I didn't know better, I'd assume the word "deserve" bullied some of you as a kid.

Some of ya'll really hate that word.

I agree with the sentiment but....wow.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Okay if I didn't know better, I'd assume the word "deserve" bullied some of you as a kid.

Some of ya'll really hate that word.
Not really, it’s just that it’s not applicable to characters being added to Smash. That’s really all it is.

If the game were a literal hall of fame, then it would probably have more of a use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom