• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I don't get why people are thinking that the entirety of Super Mario Galaxy 2 could be DLC. They could release it as a standalone virtual game on the eShop, but I don't think they'd limit to only people who have the collection can get it.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Since the topic of dormant franchises got brought up, here's a huge hot take: most of Nintendo's dormant/ dead series either make sense being in their state, or they outright deserved it.

Except Wario Land. F-Zero should also be brought back from the dead, but I can at least see why it's in the state it's in. Wario Land though, I can't see why they just stopped that one.
Wasn't because Wario Land: Shake It costed aloooooot of money due the fantastic animations of the sprites, and the game didn't sold well enough to make back all that cost?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Since the topic of dormant franchises got brought up, here's a huge hot take: most of Nintendo's dormant/ dead series either make sense being in their state, or they outright deserved it.

Except Wario Land. F-Zero should also be brought back from the dead, but I can at least see why it's in the state it's in. Wario Land though, I can't see why they just stopped that one.
Hard disagree here. F-Zero and Star Fox could easily get more games if they just stopped trying to reinvent the wheel and force "new ways to play" into everything.

Then there's Wars, which is arguably only in this state because they decided to change the style of the series on the DS/Wii era. Chibi-Robo didn't die, Nintendo murdered it with bad spinoffs. Same applies to Golden Sun and lackluster marketing.

Really, if any of these series are in their current state, it's because Nintendo ****ed up with them in one way or another.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Assuming that there is another Smash that will come within the next five or so years, it wouldn't surprise me if they devoted a larger team/resources for DLC in it, especially given the strong sales of FP1 and (I'm assuming) FP2. There will still be strong base game content, but its hard to imagine the relative success of Ultimate's paid content hasn't left some impression on Nintendo.
Hopefully they’ll do the same for Mario Kart too. Wii U Mario Kart 8 had great DLC, but it’s insane that they released the Switch version & haven’t done anything for it despite the consistent amazing sales.

I think many of the dormant franchises could easily be revived if developed as more modest titles that could thrive in the more digital release market. You don't necessarily need a triple A Advance Wars game, but there is a fandom for it that would be willing to buy a solid new entry to it.

Star Fox could easily be made into a large scale open world space game or a more scaled back, less expensive arcade shooter if there was actual focus on developing the core mechanics and not excess experimentation to solve problems that didn't exist to begin with.
I wouldn’t say Star Fox is dormant. Metroid & Star Fox are in this weird spot where they don’t get as much focus as the big boys, but they’re never truly dead. Even if they skip a gen, they’ll always show up again. On top of that, Samus & Fox are consistently used in Nintendo marketing.

It’s not like F-Zero, Golden Sun or Mother which are truly dormant.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I think many of the dormant franchises could easily be revived if developed as more modest titles that could thrive in the more digital release market. You don't necessarily need a triple A Advance Wars game, but there is a fandom for it that would be willing to buy a solid new entry to it.

Star Fox could easily be made into a large scale open world space game or a more scaled, less expensive arcade shooter if there was actual focus on developing the core mechanics and not excess experimentation to solve problems that didn't exist to begin with.
Some theoretically could be brought back, but most still don't have enough popularity to warrant bringing them back. Just because they have a fandom doesn't mean they're popular. Not too mention how bad things would probably end up being if they tried to bring back more than like two of their dead series. Some of their dev teams already need more help than they're getting of the quality of certain games are to go by, so having more franchises thrown into the mix would just make things worse.

And then there are just some series that aren't good enough to bring back.

Wasn't because Wario Land: Shake It costed aloooooot of money due the fantastic animations of the sprites, and the game didn't sold well enough to make back all that cost?
That explains why they wouldn't make another game with that kind of animation again. Not why the series as a whole died.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Some theoretically could be brought back, but most still don't have enough popularity to warrant bringing them back. Just because they have a fandom doesn't mean they're popular. Not too mention how bad things would probably end up being if they tried to bring back more than like two of their dead series. Some of their dev teams already need more help than they're getting of the quality of certain games are to go by, so having more franchises thrown into the mix would just make things worse.

And then there are just some series that aren't good enough to bring back.

That explains why they wouldn't make another game with that kind of animation again. Not why the series as a whole died.
I mean, one game flopping or not doing well like expected is sometime enough to put a franchise to rest, atleast for awhile.

Just look at DMC after the reboot, took 7~ years to get a brand new game (not counting DMC4: SE edition). Or Metroid after Other M, took really long to get....Federation Forc- I mean, Samus's Return.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This comment has a chance of ageing really badly. Also that analogy is terrible. People who believe ATs have a shot aren’t comparable to people criticising DMC4 and 5 for random reasons. You cannot even come up with a good reason why ATs cannot have a chance of being reconsidered and upgraded for this pass (non-playable spirits are more integral to this game than ATs and yet..)
You misunderstood my post, I'm not saying ATs are impossible, I know damn well they coded some to not appear in certain conditions, my point was people claiming that because Sakurai never explicitly mentioned why Spring Man wasn't considered, trying to deduct that it was his AT status means you're desperately against the idea of AT promotions and are too biased to properly argue. My DMC comparison is because some people criticized Nero's stories because we have no concrete info on his mother despite how that's irrelevant to the games. Especially as if we only take Sakurai's words at heart, Min Min was chosen because Yabuki was asked and Ninjara was considered because "everyone's a protagonist" but that doesn't answer why the mascot wasn't considered despite Spring Man being featured on some official artwork, having Min Min use his stage and have Spring Man be up front and center during her final smash.

TLDR the question here becomes "Why did being the mascot give Spring Man more focus but not the fighter slot?" Sakurai gave no answer to that but aggresive pro-promotion claims that's just a coincidence and means nothing, which is subjective, because Sakurai didn't say anything objective on that matter

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Been looking at the nature of notable announcements as of late, and I think it definitely lays out how they're being spaced:

8/2 - 8/8 - Pikmin 3 Deluxe
8/9 - 8/15 - ?
8/16 - 8/22 - Indie Direct
8/23 - 8/29 - Partner Showcase
8/30 - 9/5 - Mario Direct
9/6 - 9/12 - Age of Calamity
9/13 - 9/19 - Partner Showcase
9/20 - 9/26 - Kirby Fighters 2/Age of Calamity/Monster Hunter Rise

While Kirby Fighters 2 isn't necessarily the biggest release, it does fit into the time sensitive nature of previous weekly announcements of the past month and a half and is also sharing the week with the events at the TGS.

While it could be that Nintendo won't keep up the pattern of these reveals or that there are more low key releases to come in the next two months, I think it does show (that one week in August aside) why they may have thought it sensible to hold off on Smash till potentially next week.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
While it could be that Nintendo won't keep up the pattern of these reveals or that there are more low key releases to come in the next two months, I think it does show how (that one week in August aside) why they may have thought it sensible to hold off on Smash till potentially next week.
Heck, I thought they were gonna wait until the end of October.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Heck, I thought they were gonna wait until the end of October.
I mean, 7/11 ad aside, that's entirely possible. I think the biggest x factors in any Sakurai Presents date speculation right now are the unknown unknowns; whatever potential future announcements by Nintendo that we're not aware of. Basically, besides the obvious stuff (Partner Showcase, Pokemon DLC), what are other notable reveals could get their own week and thus the Smash can is kicked further down the road? Again there may be an entirely different reason as to why Fighter 7 has not been revealed yet, but based on what's been shown off, its the closest thing to a conclusion I can reach about its timing.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm still hoping to see a Impa reveal the 26th with the Koei Tecmo demonstration of Age of Calamity. Would make perfect sense for her to be revealed there, and I think she's pretty damn likely honestly. Everything seems to line up perfectly for a potential Impa reveal me thinks.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm still hoping to see a Impa reveal the 26th with the Koei Tecmo demonstration of Age of Calamity. Would make perfect sense for her to be revealed there, and I think she's pretty damn likely honestly. Everything seems to line up perfectly for a potential Impa reveal me thinks.
In Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity? She's already appeared in the trailer.

In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? She's about as good as disconfirmed due to the bonus Mii Costume, and the fact that this is the only game she'll be fighting fit in for a while, making her relevance tenuous at best. I think a The Legend of Zelda character's next shot is the next game, unfortunately.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Next game won't have anywhere near the same amount of 3rd party characters next time; even Sakurai acknowledged that this won't be possible again. The next game is probably the best shot for a lot of characters people hoped for earlier like Skull Kid, Ashley, Isaac, Waluigi, and others.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Next game won't have anywhere near the same amount of 3rd party characters next time; even Sakurai acknowledged that this won't be possible again. The next game is probably the best shot for a lot of characters people hoped for earlier like Skull Kid, Ashley, Isaac, Waluigi, and others.
But wouldn't it be a good shot for them in a first-party dominated pass as well? Assuming it is dominated by first-parties? I just don't wanna be 35 to see if Isaac has a chance.

Seriously I don't think people worried about Master Chief's "slot" being "stolen" by Nintendo characters understand that people in their mid-20s are gonna have deteriorating reflexes if they're forced to wait 10 years for an AT promo.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Hideki Naganuma could have been the composer of Splatoon. Naganuma was the composer for Jet Set Radio.

Honestly I can't understand why Nintendo wouldn't have hired him. Maybe not for Splatoon, but for something else lol

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Hideki Naganuma could have been the composer of Splatoon. Naganuma was the composer for Jet Set Radio.
As someone who adores Splatoon and loves Jet Set Radio music, this saddens me.

I still want an official crossover between the two games. They're perfect for each other!

Last edited:

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Man, Ultimate seriously went all out when it came to securing a multitude of licensing agreements. I wouldn't even be surprised at this point if it also has a license to kill.

MV5BODY3M2I0NGItYzJhNy00M2NiLThhMDgtNjZkNjA1NTQzMDM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_.jpg

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well we're still in the state where it can be anyone and at any time. Seems we're getting all of what Nintendo wanted to Reveal at E3, minus one or two projects.

We can just hope that we get a bit of warning for it...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Honestly I can't understand why Nintendo wouldn't have hired him. Maybe not for Splatoon, but for something else lol
Looks like Nintendo didn't....

Understand the concept of love

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I don't really have a horse I'm this race assuming I've got both first and third party wants, but I feel like saying "There's always next smash" kinda misses the point

Like you said, Ultimate's gargantuan roster will be a one time thing. The next game's will probably be chopped down significantly. So it's probably ideal for most people to get their character in the game with the most crossover potential.

This goes for assists and first parties too. Like getting Waluigi in next game could be cool for his fans, but they're also missing out on crazy one-time interactions with a third or a quarter of the roster probably being cut.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yakuza live action movie announced. This is how Kiryu can win.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Yakuza is Sega’s bestselling franchise after “Sonic The Hedgehog.” The game was first released on PlayStation 2 in 2005 and has since grown into a global franchise with an additional seven main title sequels and eight spin-off titles on all major gaming platforms.

SKX31

Smash Master

Oh man. can I just say that is one of the:

Now I'm imagining Nakamura's Splatoon music in Smash, and the fact we didn't get that is a massive shame.

Even without hindsight Nintendo had a golden opportunity here, especially since Splatoon's music is not far from JSR's. What, was his asking price too high for Nintendo?

This company mystifies me sometimes even if I love it.

Yakuza is Sega’s bestselling franchise after “Sonic The Hedgehog.” The game was first released on PlayStation 2 in 2005 and has since grown into a global franchise with an additional seven main title sequels and eight spin-off titles on all major gaming platforms.
#SEGAIPExpansion

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

If they don't pay homage to the original film's Majima hiding behind a wall like this

then what's the point

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Fun fact. The first Yakuza movie was done by the guy who made the Ace Attorney movie. Also, I think we can all agree on a main actor
m4y98t3cdl041.jpg

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Fun fact. The first Yakuza movie was done by the guy who made the Ace Attorney movie. Also, I think we can all agree on a main actor
View attachment 286675
My favorite part in the Yakuza movie was when the wheelchair kid rolled downhill into a lake.

D

Deleted member

Goro Mijamia's open chest is very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't really have a horse I'm this race assuming I've got both first and third party wants, but I feel like saying "There's always next smash" kinda misses the point

Like you said, Ultimate's gargantuan roster will be a one time thing. The next game's will probably be chopped down significantly. So it's probably ideal for most people to get their character in the game with the most crossover potential.

This goes for assists and first parties too. Like getting Waluigi in next game could be cool for his fans, but they're also missing out on crazy one-time interactions with a third or a quarter of the roster probably being cut.
Exactly, this argument goes both ways. Just like how characters like Waluigi and Dixie can easily get into the next game, so can Crash, Doomguy and Dante. This whole “there won’t be the chance to add as many third-parties with a no-cut scenario” only inherently matters if you automatically think third-parties are better than first-parties. If you don’t, this argument would have no meaning to you.

At the very least, I’d expect one more first-party character so the opportunity to bring in as many third-party characters have already been disregarded. Remember that the next two characters after Sakurai made that statement about not being able to bring as many characters together again were first-party characters.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Sits in corner

Why does everyone have to be so cultured compared to me?
You’re still a teen. Just keep trying to enjoy life & you’ll get there eventually. It also becomes a lot easier once you have a job, so you can experience more things without depending on your parents/guardians.

Back on topic, I really hope we get an announcement tomorrow for a Monday Sakurai Presents. I don’t really want to wait until Wednesday to know if we’re screwed or not.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I don't get why people are thinking that the entirety of Super Mario Galaxy 2 could be DLC. They could release it as a standalone virtual game on the eShop, but I don't think they'd limit to only people who have the collection can get it.
I mean they could do both (releasing it as DLC for the collection for those who want all games together and make it standalone as well like presumably the first three later on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom