• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well funny you mention that because...
That's a swirling lance attack.

Be thankful that the Smash roster is selected by people with infinitely better taste than the following examples:
Hey, Bad Boxart Mega Man is the funniest thing and you cannot convince me otherwise.

"Byleth's moveset could work for The Hunter*" and "Byleth's moveset doesn't invalidate The Hunter because the Hunter has so much more to offer" are both true statements that can coexist.
Not when it would be a horrible misrepresentation of the character. At least for Byleth it only has missed potential. It's entirely the wrong direction for Monster Hunter.

D

Deleted member

Up Smash anyone?

Besides, it's not like Smash has used unconventional tools in unintended ways for attacks.

Note: This is not me endorsing similarities between Byleth and Monster Hunter, just disagreeing with the notion of non-combat tools being unable to be used for attacks.
What is with Capcom and making their attacks look amazing?

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
History has proven that it is in fact possible to go wrong with Capcom. Horribly wrong, even.

Be thankful that the Smash roster is selected by people with infinitely better taste than the following examples:

You know the sad thing is that PlayStation all star's dante is more closer to the original dante than the dante in the 2013 reboot.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Wait that is weird. It can't be that they don't think the west's Playstation audience wouldn't buy it enough to bother localizing it 'cuz the game's already localized. A digital only release might make a bit of sense, but a region locked console exclusive for a localized game?

Maybe there's some sort of oddly specific contract with Sony they have to adhere to which makes them unable to make a true console exclusive, but they want to make one anyway?
There was a drama recently where NISA criticized Sony for not caring about small publishers anymore and they were kinda sorta forced to apologize for it. It might be related to this decision.
Also, apparently Disgaea 5 on Switch outsold the Playstation version 10-to-1 outside of Japan...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I dunno, I feel like a Wirebug would eventually develop a murderous intent towards it's handler after being slammed into the tough hide of a Rathalos one too many times.

Up Smash anyone?

Besides, it's not like Smash has used unconventional tools in unintended ways for attacks.

Note: This is not me endorsing similarities between Byleth and Monster Hunter, just disagreeing with the notion of non-combat tools being unable to be used for attacks.
I think we can all see where this is going.
"Byleth's moveset could work for The Hunter*" and "Byleth's moveset doesn't invalidate The Hunter because the Hunter has so much more to offer" are both true statements that can coexist.

*Now that we know there's a proper whip-style tool

Damn it's almost like there's a second half to that sentence.
I mean, the Hunter can have a similar moveset, but I don't think the weapons they could use are an exact one-to-one, the polearms especially. The Incenct Glaive, Lance, and Gunlance aren't used for slow, sweetspotted strikes, and I don't think we could make the various swords work in the same way as Byleth's sword strikes without losing something. Similar, yes, but we can't just give them Byleth's kit and call it a day.

(Also I don't think the Wirebug would take too kindly to being slammed into the ground for the down tilt)

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Bad Box Art Mega Man in SFXT was a funny joke that just came at the worst possible time.
I knew more than a few Mega Man fans who viewed him getting into Smash a year after and SFxT never getting a sequel (supposedly due to it underpeforming) as the best possible karma for both that joke and Capcom's general poor treatment of the franchise around the time.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I mean, the Hunter can have a similar moveset, but I don't think the weapons they could use are an exact one-to-one, the polearms especially. The Incenct Glaive, Lance, and Gunlance aren't used for slow, sweetspotted strikes, and I don't think we could make the various swords work in the same way as Byleth's sword strikes without losing something. Similar, yes, but we can't just give them Byleth's kit and call it a day.
That's basically what I'm getting at. The operative word there is "could" anyway :070:

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
This is what I imagine Chugga thinks about doing that game:

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!"
...Did Chugga just become SSJ3 Goku? I'm confused. (Edit: It's about the game's sheer length, isn't it?)

I do wonder why it was made in Street Fighter X Tekken though considering that he belongs to neither of those series.

Same applies to Toro and...Kuro, was it?
Toro and Kuro yes (Toro was also in PSASBR), plus Pac-Man piloting a Mokujin-like mech. The latter was also strange, but that and Bad Boxart Mega Man were likely included on the grounds of including cartoony mascots but putting joke-y spins on them.

The jokes didn't exactly land (partly due to timing) but I don't think malice was behind it. I'm betting on really poor communication between the dev team and the rest of Capcom when it comes to the timing of it all.

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
In case you haven't noticed. but the 3Ds is finally being discontinued.
Not surprising, but it is kinda sad to finally see it go.
RIP. To this day, I don't understand the whole 3D gimmick. It was cool for some games, kinda strains the eyes after a while. The NEW 3DS improved on that, but I went through this handheld generation with a 2DS just fine. In my opinion, they could've just released a more high powered DS in place of the 3DS, but I respect Nintendo's initiative because it was a pretty ambitious idea to make a handheld capable of 3D, and it worked!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
3DS was a great little machine but once the Switch came out I couldn't go back to it.

Though I did for Metroid. Gotta support the series you want to continue.

It's a shame that almost all the ports have come from Wii U instead of 3DS though. I get why, but **** I want some of the 3DS games on a bigger, cleaner screen. Primarily Uprising though, because I figure almost all the other notable series will find their way on to the Switch eventually (most already have), and I have no confidence modern Kid Icarus will.

I'd also like to know what happened to the rest of those allegedly planned but cancelled/ported 3DS titles like the FE remake, Wario (both Land and Ware) and Advance Wars. Oh and Style Savvy. Those games were almost always paired with the Link's Awakening remake and Mystery Dungeon port in the rumours, and both those games materialized. And it seems likely at least one of those other ones will as well.

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
There was a drama recently where NISA criticized Sony for not caring about small publishers anymore and they were kinda sorta forced to apologize for it. It might be related to this decision.
Also, apparently Disgaea 5 on Switch outsold the Playstation version 10-to-1 outside of Japan...
I knew that Disgaea 5 sold much more in switch outside of Japan but I did not know that the difference was so big

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Man this... Is weird. I remember when I first got the 3DS for Christmas too. Now it's finally coming to an end. Hard to believe it's been nearly 10 years. Man, time flies

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Bittersweet, but it had to happen. I still remembering begging my parents to drive me to Wal-Mart so I could pick up one on launch date. Having to wait until the middle of the year for the thing to start picking up speed kinda sucked, but being an early adopter was still pretty sweet for the ambassador program and bragging rights.

I now feel really old.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Every time we mention Byleth on this thread I get exhausted
What's even the point anymore?

Personally, while it would've been nicer if another Nintendo IP could've been recognized instead (sad poyos echo in the distance), in their own right Byleth wasn't necessarily a bad pick.
Was it a bit tone-deaf on Nintendo's part? It could be argued. But, did it at least pay off for a well-received entry in the FE series? Sure did.

Not that anyone has to all of a sudden change their minds and opinions about Byleth, but I have yet to see anything genuinely gained from sticking the "Byleth" pole into the center of discussion at this point.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something I'll miss with the 3DS is some of the smaller scale franchises getting a chance to shine via the lower development costs of being on something like the system. Not to say that they're all gone, but it just feels less likely to see stuff like Pilotwings, Shinobi 3D, or the Dillon games any time soon.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Man this... Is weird. I remember when I first got the 3DS for Christmas too.

Hard to believe it's been nearly 10 years. Now it's finally coming to an end.

Man time flies
I joked about it a bit this morning, but real talk, it's really bittersweet to see it finally go. It's still one of my all-time favorite Nintendo consoles, even if I do wish all the remakes and ports it got at the end of its life were on Switch instead.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
CAPCOM FANS!!!

I have a suggestion.

Let's make peace. We are all good friends, right?
Ain't NONE of these muther****ers backing Arthur. I will run all them down in the street.

What is your “most” most wanted character in Smash Bros? Like... the one character, that above all else, you want in the game more than any other.
Ryu Hayabusa.

The wirebug is used for mobility options and not for attacking. Like at best I can see it as a replica of Byleth's Up B
Except it's WAY better than that, because Byleth's Up B actually has to grab a ledge or person.

The Wirebug doesn't grapple to points, it works in mid-air. Which makes it a WAY better recovery option.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Have faith

But don't believe blindly.

Just because something has held strong in the past, doesn't mean it will. I'm not saying to lose hope, but also don't assume that this theory is the end all be all either.
Recording of the supposed presentation has been already been done months prior and FP7 is pretty much complete. What reason would they have to keep holding it off unless they're purposely trying to troll with us?

After next week with Pokemon Tundra presentation, they pretty much have everything out of the way unless which is perfecting timing coinciding with the theory as usual unless for some reason they magically decide to reveal more games they were intending to reveal next year out of the blue.

Like they have no problem revealing with no trouble of delaying all these other games and these partner directs but having trouble with revealing Smash news to the point of delaying it? I don't buy it.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Recording of the supposed presentation has been already been done months prior and FP7 is pretty much complete. What reason would they have to keep holding it off unless they're purposely trying to troll with us?

After next week with Pokemon Tundra presentation, they pretty much have everything out of the way unless which is perfecting timing coinciding with the theory as usual unless for some reason they magically decide to reveal more games they were intending to reveal next year out of the blue.
What makes you think we're getting Pokemon next week? Like, I can definitely see it, but there's currently nothing saying that's coming next week either.

If you hype yourself up for something that is in no way guaranteed, expect to be let down, and you'll only have yourself to blame. I too want Smash asap, but nothing is confirmed, and a theory is not a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom