• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

People, read my posts better.

I cannot believe there are people that think I'm shutting down Monster Hunter.

I'm not. I agree Monster Hunter has a nice shot.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
All this MH, Dante, and Phoenix Wright will be seen as silly when Bionic Command makes his glorious return to Nintendo consoles via Smash soon enough.
Just...please don't be wifearm Spencer. How did he even get into MvCI when it had Rearmed Spencer as a DLC costume to work with?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You keep on cycling back to, "Smash is an advertisement!".

Yes, Monster Hunter is iconic. It is quite popular, and it has a nice shot.

However, don't sleep on Dante or Phoenix Wright just because Monster Hunter exists. Getting Smash characters in isn't just about promotion.

And yes, the Monster Hunter has great moveset potential, but so does Phoenix Wright. I would say Monster Hunter is very likely, but don't say Phoenix Wright and Dante are deconfirmed.
I'm not saying they're disconfirmed, just unlikely, and I don't personally see them happening at this point. Monster Hunter is just way more beneficial for Nintendo to add than the other two.

Psh, forget Monster Hunter, Dante and Phoenix Wright. We all know we want Morrigan. :mybodyisreggie:
Weird way to spell Demitri :bowsette:
That's not Hsien-Ko :denzel:
You guys are all terrible at saying Jon Talbain. :dazwa:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
There's something I believe people haven't said yet: if a Hunter is in the Pass, there's a bigger chance of them being revealed next year (CP8 onward) rather than being CP7. If I'm not mistaken, Hero (whose situation MH is arguably the closest to) was unveiled relatively close to the launch of DQXIS.

Since MHR releases on March 2021, that would have to push a possible Rise-based MH pack closer to when the game actually comes out.

That said, this is all hypothetical.

D

Deleted member

I'm not saying they're disconfirmed, just unlikely, and I don't personally see them happening at this point. Monster Hunter is just way more beneficial for Nintendo to add than the other two.
Read my post.

Nintendo doesn't add characters just for advertisement.

For example, which series has more sales? Minecraft or Banjo-Kazooie? Which series got in Smash?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, I didn't catch that Partner Direct live, but it seems that I didn't miss anything that I personally would find interesting. Not surprised.

So we've gotten a Nintendo announcement every week this month:

First Week: Mario 35th direct and Mario 3D All Stars announcement
Second Week: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Third Week (this week): Partner Showcase and Mario 3D All Stars release
Fourth Week: ???

Smash reveal next week anyone?
Let's not forget that there was another Partner Direct a week before the Mario one, and an Indie World before that still. Nintendo has been doing weekly announcements for quite a while now.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
All this MH, Dante, and Phoenix Wright will be seen as silly when Bionic Command makes his glorious return to Nintendo consoles via Smash soon enough.
Just...please don't be wifearm Spencer. How did he even get into MvCI when it had Rearmed Spencer as a DLC costume to work with?
Well, a certain current Marvel employee has this as one of his most famous moments:

Reboot Spencer got a new life thanks to (U)MvC3 and its competitive scene.

(Edit, he's a former Capcom employee. Thank you for the correction, Schnee117 Schnee117 .)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I will say that personally, Monster Hunter is sitting very nicely. I heavily agree that they are quite likely at the moment.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Read my post Uni.

I'm not "shutting down" Monster Hunter. I was responding to a post saying that if a Capcom rep was on the table, it would either be Monster Hunter or no character.

I acknowledge Monster Hunter has a nice shot right now, but I disagree with people sleeping on Dante and Phoenix Wright because of Monster Hunter.
Reminder Nintendo is the one making the picks for the DLCs, not Sakurai.

With that said, Nintendo also chose Joker, so really, anything can happen.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as next week, something that's worth noting is that Capcom and Koei Techmo are having their showcases around Saturday and Sunday of the TGS, so Nintendo could easily do any sort of announcement (Smash included) early or in the middle of the week without taking that much attention from MH: Rise or Hyrule Warriors 2.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And you're bad at spelling BB Hood.
While I generally want the first character to be the mascot/protagonist since that's the best character to represent the series, I would genuinely be down for B. B. Hood.

Read my post.

Nintendo doesn't add characters just for advertisement.

For example, which series has more sales? Minecraft or Banjo-Kazooie? Which series got in Smash?
I'm not arguing that they'd be the picks because of advertisements, I'm saying that they're the much more likely pick because they're the one's currently supporting the Switch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not arguing that they'd be the picks because of advertisements, I'm saying that they're the much more likely pick because they're the one's currently supporting the Switch.
Minecraft got Minecraft Dungeons on the Switch, and Banjo-Kazooie still doesn't have a game on the Switch.

I do agree Monster Hunter being promoted heavily makes them more likely, but what I am complaining about is saying Phoenix Wright and Dante are now more unlikely because of this. They still have some things going for them.

As Uni said, anything can happen.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The one and only true next Capcom representative is Miss Tron Bonne when they say sike and un-cancel Megaman Legends 3.

Let me have this.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
honestly, as far as capcom goes, Dante, Monster Hunter, Amateratsu, and morrigan all have pretty decent shots, which phoenix wright as a close fifth. I have to adit that i would be surprised if we don't have a single capcom rep.

And you're bad at spelling BB Hood.
Clasic Darkstalker problem, surely have to be a pretty uninterestimg series with forgoteabble characters if no one cant agree on their favourite character from teh roster, even if there have been decades since we got something t all...

I really want a darkstalkers 4 :(

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Honestly given the sheer current and growing popularity of MH, it might be one of those franchises that's considered as not really needing Smash promotion (beyond bringing back the Rathalos and Hunter costumes back). Especially in Japan, thinking you need highlight MH to them would be like saying Nintendo might need promote Waluigi to playable in Smash to help promote Mario Kart in the US.
:ulthero: : Hi there!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As far as next week, something that's worth noting is that Capcom and Koei Techmo are having their showcases around Saturday and Sunday of the TGS, so Nintendo could easily do any sort of announcement (Smash included) early or in the middle of the week without taking that much attention from MH: Rise or Hyrule Warriors 2.
Nintendo's not at TGS though.

Minecraft got Minecraft Dungeons on the Switch, and Banjo-Kazooie still doesn't have a game on the Switch.

I do agree Monster Hunter being promoted heavily makes them more likely, but what I am complaining about is saying Phoenix Wright and Dante are now more unlikely because of this. They still have some things going for them.

As Uni said, anything can happen.
And I disagree. As for your Microsoft comparison, when the pick was made, Minecraft was just Minecraft, and Banjo-Kazooie had a vocal fanbase behind it. There's a reason to put the two series on equal footing when it comes to judging which would be better. Can't really say the same about Monster Hunter and Devil May Cry right now unless something changes.

Heck, if we get a Devil May Cry 5 port some point soon, then they'd definitely be on equal footing, but until we know that's a thing, they're not in my eyes.

...would that count as polygamy?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The virgin Twitter “leaker” vs the Chad Reddit Actual Insider
Some user on Reddit leaked MHR in advance, also SwSh DLC and Byleth as FP5. Worth keeping an eye on.

Also statement from Zippo on the Era Direct thread:
Nintendo has been killing it this September, and we're not even done yet.

All we needed was some patience.

D

Deleted member

SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy I see your argument, I will just take the L.

Phoenix Wright is one of my most wanted characters, but Monster Hunter could be nice. :V

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also all this Monster Hunter talk seems......history repeating itself.

I vaguely recall this happening with that one direct where they gave an odd skit and focus to Resident Evil being ported over and everyone was convinced we were gonna have a Resident Evil fighter.

Nintendo can just sell their partners bigger franchises without it having to mean they're Oprah giving away free Smash slots to everyone.

Literally how some of ya'll think Nintendo is when they promote a franchise that's big and not their own.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
:ulthero: : Hi there!
Fair point, but Dragon Quest also did not have the recent huge American success like MH World has. There's some valid comparisons but its certainly not 1:1.

Nintendo's not at TGS though.
Yes, but there are two big games of there's that will be highlighted. All I'm saying is that if there was a concern about a semi-major announcement overshadowing either one that its easily averted via news or reveals happening early or in the middle of the week.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

I vaguely recall this happening with that one direct where they gave an odd skit and focus to Resident Evil being ported over and everyone was convinced we were gonna have a Resident Evil fighter.

Nintendo can just sell their partners bigger franchises without it having to mean they're Oprah giving away free Smash slots to everyone.

Literally how some of ya'll think Nintendo is when they promote a franchise that's big and not their own.
I disagree, there's a difference between receiving old ports and a brand new game that is pushed heavily to a point you include an entire separate direct about it and push out three separate amiibos for it. The difference in marketing push is clear as day.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
honestly, as far as capcom goes, Dante, Monster Hunter, Amateratsu, and morrigan all have pretty decent shots, which phoenix wright as a close fifth. I have to adit that i would be surprised if we don't have a single capcom rep.
Care to explain why Amaterasu and Morrigan have a shot at all given the competition much less a shot better than Phoenix Wright?

I'd love to believe but...

SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy I see your argument, I will just take the L.

Phoenix Wright is one of my most wanted characters, but Monster Hunter could be nice. :V
I think Pheonix would be an amazing character as well. Characters full of wacky shenanigans a la Piranha Plant get all of my yes.

Imagine if his Final Smash was like his super in UMvC3, but they actually have character specific breakdown animations like in the original games. Ooh that'd be so amazing.

Oh I'm sure they could get a Spirit event instead, but it does make them a more likely pick.

I hope we can name our Palamutes because I wanna name mine Little Bear
How many animals do you want this creature to be?

Professor Pumpkaboo: "Yes."

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
In my opinion today barely changed anything about the Hunter's chances. Capcom has not been subtle about the existence of a new MH for Switch at all, only difference is that we now have the confirmation.
True that, afaik Monster Hunter on the Switch has been a thing as far back as 2019 with Capcom's teases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom