• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm VERY skeptical of that twitter post, as much as getting a "less expected first party" intrigues me.
Considering this person has apparently 0 know credibility to their name, I'd say it should be less Skepticism and more extreme doubt.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
  • It's not Elma. Xenoblade Chronicles X is the least popular and least relevant of the Xenoblade Chronicles games.
  • It's not Rhythm Heaven, that series is dead.
  • It's not Golden Sun, that would require a revival, and that would be a pretty big game. If anything, it's just not happening this year.
  • I highly doubt Nintendo would want to promote WarioWare of all things in this way.
  • I could actually see an Earthbound character if they wanted to reveal that Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound are coming Nintendo Switch Online.

It's not Chibi-Robo. The series is also dead.
Seems like an awful lot of assumptions are being made here to be honest.

Also in what world does Earthbound meet the little represented criterion?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Considering this person has apparently 0 know credibility to their name, I'd say it should be less Skepticism and more extreme doubt.
Well, okay, that works too.

guess I was basically just trying to say I'm leaning much more against the leak being real than being for it. Not holding my breath on it.

D

Deleted member

I heard that the Terrarian is Smash!

Trust me, I was told by Nintendo myself. I even predicted EVERYONE IS HERE!

Shroob

Sup?
I do agree with Nate that it seems like Nintendo is just vomiting out everything they currently have to get it out there before the holiday season starts, hell, we've been getting news 4 weeks in a row to varying degrees:

Nindies Showcase(3 weeks ago) > Partner Showcase(2 weeks ago) > Mario Direct(1 week ago) > Zelda game(This week)

So it does seem like they want 1 big drop per week.

The question is will that continue into next week with the Mario 35th dropping that same week.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
One of the characters you all are currently speculating about will be revealed on Monday. I can't give any hints because that would make it too obvious. The source is myself. If you're doubting my credibility, I have a Ganondorf avatar. I wouldn't lie to any of you. I'm a good guy.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh by the way, Here's something interesting

Translation:
This is a rare situation, but a "source" gave me information (quite ambiguous) about Smash:

-Monday
-The character is from Nintendo
-From a little represented and much loved franchise that nobody expects

What do you think? Who would it be?

Discovered by this topic on Gamefaqs

Even Natedrake Commented on this post

If this was True, I wouldn't expect Rex since everyone is expecting him. Could be Elma if it's Xenoblade. Could also be Rhythm Heaven or Golden Sun (little Represented with only Spirits, and 1 music track in Golden Sun case). could be something very lowkey like Earthbound or Warioware
I love it when "leakers" have oddly specific info about the character but don't have (or for some reason aren't willing to share) what the character is.

"I know what company owns the character, how represented its franchise is and how popular it is. No I won't say who the character is or what franchise they're from. Don't ask me why."

ZelDan

Smash Master
My source tells me that I'm a piece of **** who sucks at everything and that I'd be better of just giving up on my dreams and ambitions as to avoid embarrassing myself.

I should probably try and get a different source...

D

Deleted member

If a Smash character gets revealed, I will probably be in virtual school, and either someone will spoil it, or I will accidently find out on the internet.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
The question is will that continue into next week with the Mario 35th dropping that same week.
Byleth (January 16th) was revealed the same week that Tokyo Mirage Sessions Encore (January 17th) was released, so a character reveal happening the same week a game is being released, at the very least, isn't out of the question.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Seems like an awful lot of assumptions are being made here to be honest.
Well considering that every 1st party newcomer has been from a series Nintendo wants to push, smaller series like the ones 7NATOR 7NATOR mentioned are pretty much not even candidates, especially if their franchise is dead with no sign of revival. The only outlier there is Xenoblade Chronicles X, which is a game that isn't currently in the public eye and likely won't get a port on top of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition existing.

The only one of the options proposed that I could see happening is Earthbound, since it would do a good job at promoting Nintendo Switch Online service (though admittedly I have no idea if those games are already on the service or not).

Also in what world does Earthbound meet the little represented criterion?
I dunno ask 7NATOR 7NATOR .

One of the characters you all are currently speculating about will be revealed on Monday. I can't give any hints because that would make it too obvious. The source is myself. If you're doubting my credibility, I have a Ganondorf avatar. I wouldn't lie to any of you. I'm a good guy.
when he's right because we've already discussed all of the viable 1st party candidates already

gasp "He is the fabled prophet!"

WTF no it isn't, it had a game only four years ago, has an active fanbase, and the guy who makes the franchise said he's up to make another one.
But the fans would have to make it happen. I might be jaded here, but considering that the franchise is so niche, I think it's safe to assume it's as good as dead.

I'd love to be wrong, but I'm probably not.

D

Deleted member

It is going to be Phoenix Wright, watch.

It will be glorious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staarih

Smash Master
WTF no it isn't, it had a game only four years ago, has an active fanbase, and the guy who makes the franchise said he's up to make another one.
Was about to say this. And since when has it mattered if a game is "dead" anyway?

Now, if a Rhythm Heaven character gets in (Chrous Kids?) that would definitely be a sign of Sakurai wanting to go back and revive some older ideas or missed opportunities with this pass, which in turn would feel like a swan song regarding him working with Smash at least. I'm all up for the unexpected though.

Not saying this Twitter guy is to be believed.

I just don’t know what other character from a little represented Nintendo series could be exciting or appealing enough to sell as DLC or that Nintendo would bother promoting other than Rex/Xenoblade 2. F-Zero? Mother? No chance. Let’s be real, Nintendo would have no reason to randomly promote dead series like them as Smash Bros dlc. There’s nothing for them to promote, and there’s no major outcry for more characters from those series in Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If they do shadowdrop the character, I'm 100% not going to be about that, because there's no way I make it to the presentation without running into spoilers first.

Despite the recent precedent, I don't think they will just shadowdrop it, though. I think they already have a system for Smash reveals which has worked for them this year, and they'll stick to it. Min Min wasn't shadowdropped, and that was recorded and compiled at the height of WFH.

Shroob

Sup?
I just don’t know what other character from a little represented Nintendo series could be exciting or appealing enough to sell as DLC or that Nintendo would bother promoting other than Rex/Xenoblade 2. F-Zero? Mother? No chance. Let’s be real, Nintendo would have no reason to randomly promote dead series like them as Smash Bros dlc. There’s nothing for them to promote, and there’s no major outcry for more characters from those series in Smash.
I don't believe this for a moment

But if I give it even the smallest benefit of the doubt, there's just no way, in my opinion, it's not Rex.

D

Deleted member

I think Rex has a pretty good shot, because Min Min proved the "No Spirits" rule false, and this is the second Fighter's Pass. In the first, they couldn't develop Rex for Smash. Considering the second pass was developed after Ultimate's release, I think they can give Rex another chance.

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
But the fans would have to make it happen. I might be jaded here, but considering that the franchise is so niche, I think it's safe to assume it's as good as dead.

I'd love to be wrong, but I'm probably not.
It's too premature for you to assume Rhythm Heaven is dead. It's been a normal length of time since its last release. Call back if it's been a while longer without a new RH game and then I'll say that the series seems dead.

idk what you mean by "the fans would have to make it happen" either

Hokori

Great King of Evil
My sources tell me that Monday will be partly cloudy
...But we already have Cloud in Smash...unless you're suggesting that PARTLY is referring to the next PART of Cloud's adventure in the remake of FF7, meaning one of the characters from Part 2 will be in Smash.

with a high of 75 degrees and a low of 64 degrees. They seemed pretty confident about their info so I won't doubt them.
Oh...seems as though I was mistaken.

I blame you for leading me on and letting my own imagination go wild.

/s

D

Deleted member

I have a dumb question I want to ask, but I don't want to ask.

It is pointless, but I find it funny for some reason. It is about Rex.

Should I ask it?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Was about to say this. And since when has it mattered if a game is "dead" anyway?

Now, if a Rhythm Heaven character gets in (Chrous Kids?) that would definitely be a sign of Sakurai wanting to go back and revive some older ideas or missed opportunities with this pass, which in turn would feel like a swan song regarding him working with Smash at least. I'm all up for the unexpected though.

Not saying this Twitter guy is to be believed.
It matters because they're not 3rd parties. They don't have any inherent excitement factor like 3rd parties do, and they don't promote anything Nintendo is interested in pushing to compensate.

Nintendo is picking the character, not Sakurai, so this would be a non-factor.

Loathe as I am to say it, there are like, 5 Nintendo characters that have anything going for them here.

It's too premature for you to assume Rhythm Heaven is dead. It's been a normal length of time since its last release. Call back if it's been a while longer without a new RH game and then I'll say that the series seems dead.

idk what you mean by "the fans would have to make it happen" either
The statement of wanting to work on a new game was also a call to action to let Nintendo know that there's a market for the game. This probably means that Rhythm Heaven Megamix didn't sell as well as it needed to. Again, the series is quite niche, and if there needs to be a fan outcry to get another game when the last one didn't sell enough, it's easy to see that new game is just not happening.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
If this was True, I wouldn't expect Rex since everyone is expecting him. Could be Elma if it's Xenoblade. Could also be Rhythm Heaven or Golden Sun (little Represented with only Spirits, and 1 music track in Golden Sun case). could be something very lowkey like Earthbound or Warioware
It’s gonna be rex if anything(or fiora I’m expecting either one of those 2) just saying

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I have a dumb question I want to ask, but I don't want to ask.

It is pointless, but I find it funny for some reason. It is about Rex.

Should I ask it?
No. How dare you have funny questions about Rex. :p

Of course. Fire away!

Also, I once asked if Don Chan's primary method of attack would be hitting himself in the face so there's probably not a limit to how silly the questions can get so long as they're on topic.

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
I think this is fake, I think most people think this is fake.

But it's funny how this leak's talking about an under-represented franchise, and XBC2 got its dlc the exact same day it's pinning. Coincidence, yes, in fact this leak I'm willing to call 100% fake, but Rex lines up perfectly with it.
But "nobody expects"? That's the one thing that makes me hesitant to to say Rex, as much as I want it to be. I feel like Rex became a pretty "expected" character in speculation after Min Min happened.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Do you think Sakurai will make a character in this Fighter's Pass that has more range than Min Min?

Shroob

Sup?
But "nobody expects"? That's the one thing that makes me hesitant to to say Rex, as much as I want it to be. I feel like Rex became a pretty "expected" character after Min Min.
He is, but then the question is who. Maybe the MC or Torna?

I'm not a XB fan at all, but the DLC has a different MC, no?

cashregister9

Smash Hero
He is, but then the question is who. Maybe the MC or Torna?

I'm not a XB fan at all, but the DLC has a different MC, no?
Yes it does the protagonists of Torna are the Characters Lora and Jin

To Oversimplify potential gameplay:

Lora uses fire and kicks good and has a weird fire whip

Jin is an ice man who uses a sword

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Blades and Drivers aren't paired together like they are in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 right? Wouldn't that mean Lora and Jin would have to be a duo character? If so, I don't think they'd go with them unless they could impliment that in a way that doesn't give them more than one moveset.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Me: Nintendo will never add one of their older niche franchises as DLC!
Random Leaker: Ha ha, what a story Mark.

I do think any franchise with a stage and character is pretty well represented, and probably expected too. Something more like ARMS with only supporting content is 'little-represented' and something like Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Doushin the Giant etc is 'unexpected'.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure what aspect "not expected" would be referring to. Is it a not expected franchise, or a not expected character?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

To Oversimplify potential gameplay:

Lora uses fire and kicks good and has a weird fire whip

Jin is an ice man who uses a sword
So there's 2 MCs?

I feel like unless it's some weird tag-team setup, there'd only be 1.

....Or just cut the crap and give us objectively best girl Mythra. :191:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom