• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh by the way, Here's something interesting

Translation:
This is a rare situation, but a "source" gave me information (quite ambiguous) about Smash:

-Monday
-The character is from Nintendo
-From a little represented and much loved franchise that nobody expects

What do you think? Who would it be?

Discovered by this topic on Gamefaqs

Even Natedrake Commented on this post

If this was True, I wouldn't expect Rex since everyone is expecting him. Could be Elma if it's Xenoblade. Could also be Rhythm Heaven or Golden Sun (little Represented with only Spirits, and 1 music track in Golden Sun case). could be something very lowkey like Earthbound or Warioware
Now, I'm not very plugged into the Nintendo Twitter scene, or the Smash Twitter scene, but I do remember seeing this guy's name frequently. If not as an insider, then as a prominent figure for Nintendo fans in Spain (at least, I'm assuming he's from Spain? There's dedicated Nintendo news sites over there, can't say I'm aware of any for any other Spanish-speaking community). Now, I'm not vouching for the guy's credentials at all, but I'd say it at least warrants a looking into.

Real or fake, but especially if fake, I assume the implication is that the fighter is from Golden Sun. First party, little representation, unexpected, and it's particularly beloved in Europe. I doubt there's any relation between this and the Chibi-Robo rumblings beyond HotGirl piggybacking.

Shroob

Sup?
This is basically that "leak" in a nutshell.
View attachment 285332
I can't believe we're also still giving HotGirl69 the time of day.
At this point I think we're just making fun of it.

Half due to the original leak being from a no one with zero track record that "I don't wanna be called a leaker uwu....also here's what I was told owo"

And half due to it being ****ing Chibi Robo, I think anyone can just assume with how Nintendo treats the franchise, Chibi doesn't have a chance in hell.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Now, I'm not very plugged into the Nintendo Twitter scene, or the Smash Twitter scene, but I do remember seeing this guy's name frequently. If not as an insider, then as a prominent figure for Nintendo fans in Spain (at least, I'm assuming he's from Spain? There's dedicated Nintendo news sites over there, can't say I'm aware of any for any other Spanish-speaking community). Now, I'm not vouching for the guy's credentials at all, but I'd say it at least warrants a looking into.

Real or fake, but especially if fake, I assume the implication is that the fighter is from Golden Sun. First party, little representation, unexpected, and it's particularly beloved in Europe. I doubt there's any relation between this and the Chibi-Robo rumblings beyond HotGirl piggybacking.
Yeah my first thought when I read that was definitely Isaac as well (clock the sig lol). And I’d be elated if that were the case. But as it stands I don’t really see how this has any credibility at this point.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
View attachment 285330
Has she always had a Chibi-Robo avatar and banner?
I've been checking up on that Twitter account out of morbid curiosity for a while now. The Chibi-Robo thing is entirely unrelated to any "leaks" they put out, and is the result of a poll asking followers about which obscure Nintendo series they should talk about.

Shroob

Sup?

I still doubt any Assist Trophy upgrades are happening so I'm not even considering Golden Sun.

I'd actually laugh if it did end up being Golden Sun and it was Matthew instead. That would be very interesting.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, neither Chibi-Robo or Golden Sun seem like something Nintendo would choose. Unless there's an upcoming game for either franchise, and that by itself is already a big "what if" scenario, I can't imagine why they'd suddenly have an interest in the two.

Even if the date ends up being correct, I don't think I'd be sold on either character.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, neither Chibi-Robo or Golden Sun seem like something Nintendo would choose. Unless there's an upcoming game for either franchise, and that by itself is already a big "what if" scenario, I can't imagine why they'd suddenly have an interest in the two.

Even if the date ends up being correct, I don't think I'd be sold on either character.
I'd sooner believe XB2, if only because Torna launched on the exact same date as this supposed reveal, but we already know that Smash reveals rarely, if ever, line up with actual past releases/anniversaries.

I'm just not convinced at all, especially since this guy pulled the "Don't want to be called a leaker" card, we've all seen that one way too often.

Staarih

Smash Master

Yeah I remember seeing this guy around as well, but I don't remember if he has got things right or not. But seeing as he isn't completely booed down on, his reputation seems to be ok? Neutral at least.

But once Hotgirl is added to the mix then imma be out. She's so clearly out of the loop just piggybacking stuff and shouldn't be given the light of day, unless just for the funs of speculation.

Golden Sun would fit the bill, yeah, and imo Rhythm Heaven as well as talked about a bit before. Would definitely be a bold move from Sakurai.

Polan

Smash Lord
if spring man couldn't escape assist trophy hell despite being the face of a new and relevant nintendo game then i don't see how isaac could do the same. maybe if he perfomed really well on the ballot or on internal nintendo popularity polls but who knows.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah I remember seeing this guy around as well, but I don't remember if he has got things right or not. But seeing as he isn't completely booed down on, his reputation seems to be ok? Neutral at least.

But once Hotgirl is added to the mix then imma be out. She's so clearly out of the loop just piggybacking stuff and shouldn't be given the light of day, unless just for the funs of speculation.

Golden Sun would fit the bill, yeah, and imo Rhythm Heaven as well as talked about a bit before. Would definitely be a bold move from Sakurai.
The problem here though is his reputation is neutral.

He may not have gotten anything wrong, but that also doesn't mean that he's gotten anything right either. A neutral reputation in regards to leakers is arguably worse than a bad reputation, because at least with a bad reputation you can write them off instantly, with a neutral one... how exactly can we trust you if you've never done anything for said trust?

7NATOR

Smash Master
If it's actually Isaac though, That would really shake up speculation, considering he's an Assist Trophy

And also the fact that they may revealing an Assist Promotion that early could signify another one further down the line perhaps, cause I always thought any Assist Promotion would be controversial, cause i could see claims of people saying they were holding off Assist Characters until DLC. If that's the case, Shadow, Bomberman, and Waluigi would be the Top Contenders in that spot. That's just speculation on my part though.

Staarih

Smash Master
The problem here though is his reputation is neutral.

He may not have gotten anything wrong, but that also doesn't mean that he's gotten anything right either. A neutral reputation in regards to leakers is arguably worse than a bad reputation, because at least with a bad reputation you can write them off instantly, with a neutral one... how exactly can we trust you if you've never done anything for said trust?
True. I mean, it's likely not true, but I guess we can humor ourselves with it a bit and have something to talk about. Good thing this has a deadline at least.

ZelDan

Smash Master
if spring man couldn't escape assist trophy hell despite being the face of a new and relevant nintendo game then i don't see how isaac could do the same. maybe if he perfomed really well on the ballot or on internal nintendo popularity polls but who knows.
Well, according to Smash 4 ballot exit polls, Isaac landed at 3rd place right behind Banjo and K Rool IIRC.

And as I've brought up before, the amount of content GS already has in Smash I would wager is because of the ballot, as I doubt it would have gotten most of it otherwise.

So yeah I feel like Isaac must have done pretty damn good on the Smash 4 ballot.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm going to need to see some big names come out to support this if I'm gonna go in on it.

Drake flat out said he's head nothing of the sort currently, and if he hasn't heard anything yet, then it's probably safe to assume that other big names like Grubb, Emily and Imran haven't either.

I'm still very convinced this is just a fake leak that was posted on the 10th, a day a lot of people were banking on to see an announcement of the presentation on the 11th(Which didn't happen).

Could they drop the announcement over the next two days? Sure, it's not impossible I guess, they announced the Partner showcase 1# on a weekend, but I'm just.... really not feeling this at all.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Spring Man would have a different moveset from what we got with Min Min. Felix could not have a different moveset from Isaac, so if you make one you might as well make the other.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
NGL It kinda feels like people are severely underestimating the possibility of CP7 being first party, especially if they were indeed going to be revealed at E3 alongside Min-Min.

Why do I think that? Because If CP7 was revealed after Min-Min and is a big third party like, for example, Crash, it’s very likely that the former would be completely overshadowed by the latter.

Back in E3 2019, as we all know, both Hero and Banjo-Kazooie where revealed. They where both big third parties that were popular in two different parts of the world ( Hero in Japan, Banjo in the west ) but weren’t unpopular in the other's country either. As a result, neither one overshadowed the other.

Now, let’s compare Min-Min to the likes of Crash. Min-Min is a small first party character from a three year old game that gained surprisingly moderate success for a new IP.
Crash, on the other hand, is a big third party character from an over 20 year old series of games with one of his latest being a highly successful remake collection of the original trilogy and has a long awaited fourth entry coming out soon.

So, if Nintendo’s plan really was to promote ARMS as a series they want to give attention to by adding one of the game’s characters, I don’t think it would be a smart business move to reveal a WAY bigger character right afterwards and taking the spotlight away from ARMS.

That is the reason why I believe CP7 could very much be another first party character, one that would either be of equal popularity so that neither them nor Min-Min would overshadow each other ( just like Hero and Banjo ), or, at the very least, one that may be a little more popular then Min-Min but not enough to hog all the spotlight from her.

But the question is, what first party characters would fit either one of those criterias?
Isaac.

This logic doesn’t hold up. Isaac has his own advantage that Spring Man doesn’t have and vice versa. Also, the idea of AT disconfirming for this pass has already lost pretty much any credibility so the likes of Waluigi and Isaac can still be playable without the need of Spring Man being promoted.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I've been checking up on that Twitter account out of morbid curiosity for a while now. The Chibi-Robo thing is entirely unrelated to any "leaks" they put out, and is the result of a poll asking followers about which obscure Nintendo series they should talk about.
Speaking of that account though, they did post this yesterday.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

But of course, no sort of follow-up where they, y'know, post anything that could even remotely identify the character.

I'm going to need to see some big names come out to support this if I'm gonna go in on it.

Drake flat out said he's head nothing of the sort currently, and if he hasn't heard anything yet, then it's probably safe to assume that other big names like Grubb, Emily and Imran haven't either.

I'm still very convinced this is just a fake leak that was posted on the 10th, a day a lot of people were banking on to see an announcement of the presentation on the 11th(Which didn't happen).

Could they drop the announcement over the next two days? Sure, it's not impossible I guess, they announced the Partner showcase 1# on a weekend, but I'm just.... really not feeling this at all.
Let's keep in mind though that Nate also said that he doesn't talk to his contacts that often.

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking of that account though, they did post this yesterday.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

But of course, no sort of follow-up where they, y'know, post anything that could even remotely identify the character.

Let's keep in mind though that Nate also said that he doesn't talk to his contacts that often.
I mean okay but

When our lead is ****ing hotgirl

Yeah, I'd rather call off the search right now, ****'s fake.

Shroob

Sup?
"The character will be an unexpected Nintendo character."

The community where Rex is the most discussed Nintendo character: "omg it Rex"
I mean, it doesn't say that. At least according to Twitter translation it says:

-Monday -The character is from Nintendo -From a little represented and much loved franchise that nobody expects

So it's a "Much loved" franchise, yet "No one" expects it, also it's already repped in Smash 'somehow', but 'little'.

It's soo damn vague it could mean ****ing anything.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, it doesn't say that. At least according to Twitter translation it says:

-Monday -The character is from Nintendo -From a little represented and much loved franchise that nobody expects

So it's a "Much loved" franchise, yet "No one" expects it, also it's already repped in Smash 'somehow', but 'little'.

It's soo damn vague it could mean ****ing anything.
People have been outright expecting Rex to happen to the point I've seen countless people convinced he's making it this time around, be it randos on twitter, other threads or this thread. How the **** would nobody expect Rex if damn near everyone's expected him for 6 ****ing months

Shroob

Sup?
People have been outright expecting Rex to happen to the point I've seen countless people convinced he's making it this time around, be it randos on twitter, other threads or this thread. How the **** would nobody expect Rex if damn near everyone's expected him for 6 ****ing months
I mean, like I brought up earlier... maybe it's the MC of the dlc lol, the supposed date lines up exactly when the DLC came out.

granted I also think this leak is fake as **** soooo

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, like I brought up earlier... maybe it's the MC of the dlc lol, the supposed date lines up exactly when the DLC came out.

granted I also think this leak is fake as **** soooo
That doesn't change how like 6 people are saying "this clearly refers to Rex, the most discussed Nintendo for half a year, nobody would expect that!"

Shroob

Sup?
That doesn't change how like 6 people are saying "this clearly refers to Rex, the most discussed Nintendo for half a year, nobody would expect that!"
I mean, whateva, we got an expiration date on this thing, so we won't have to discuss it long.

If some of the big names start going in on Monday, I'll be very intrigued, but as is, this isn't any better than a typical 4chan-type leak.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If some of the big names start going in on Monday, I'll be very intrigued, but as is, this isn't any better than a typical 4chan-type leak.
Huh? Has anyone else backed this date now?

Edit: Oh, nevermind. I misread what you wrote.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Ok assuming the leak is real, I think there's no way Chibi robo is in. Nintendo just let the studio die and it's obvious that they do not care about the ip. I also doubt it's Rhythm heaven, but it seems, at the very least, more possible than Chibi robo.

Like Cutie Gwen said, I doubt it would refer to Rex because he's predicted a lot recently. Perhaps it could be Xenoblade 2 rep, but not Rex, either Lora and Jin or Adam and Mythra to represent more Torna. That would be a pretty surprising pick. That being said, the wording imply that the franchise is surprising, not the character itself, so maybe I'm wrong.

I guess another possibility would be Ayumi Tachibana. She's got a remake coming soon in Japan and despite that she's barely even predict. Maybe Nintendo would want to promote that? The again, it's a bit of a stretch considering that it's Japan exclusive, but maybe they don't care or maybe they plan to release it in the West after.

I.D.

Smash Lord
The most discussed first party is pokemon, not xenoblade 2, and outside smash sites that remember Sakurai columns written 2 years ago it's barely discussed at all.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The most discussed first party is pokemon, not xenoblade 2, and outside smash sites that remember Sakurai columns written 2 years ago it's barely discussed at all.
Rex himself had increased discussions after Min Min was confirmed, as both XC2 and ARMS missed the base game due to timing issues.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Rex himself had increased discussions after Min Min was confirmed, as both XC2 and ARMS missed the base game due to timing issues.
I am well aware, but even with the ARMS boost pokemon is still by far the most discussed first party.

Here's 90% of Rex discussions in this very thread for the last 6 months:

"Didn't Sakurai say something about arms and xenoblade 2?"

"Yeah but Xenoblade has a playable character and arms doesn't also Nintendo has no reason to promote it"

The conversation then stops there. This is just a certain someone going on yet another crusade of faux righteous indignation.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Maybe, but it's true that this community is a bubble overly excited about Xenoblade as well. And design-wise, Rex would be a tad boring, compared to a less-likely but much more original Chibi Robot. That being said, I do think Pokemon has better chances, although I'm surprised people here didn't go very far with guesses as there are tons of Nintendo franchises that could get picked.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I am well aware, but even with the ARMS boost pokemon is still by far the most discussed first party.

Here's 90% of Rex discussions in this very thread for the last 6 months:

"Didn't Sakurai say something about arms and xenoblade 2?"

"Yeah but Xenoblade has a playable character and arms doesn't also Nintendo has no reason to promote it"

The conversation then stops there. This is just a certain someone going on yet another crusade of faux righteous indignation.
Pretty sure that this guy with the insider info - no matter how legit he is - was not talking about this thread in particular when he was talking about a first-party series that wasn't discussed much.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Pretty sure that this guy with the insider info - no matter how legit he is - was not talking about this thread in particular when he was talking about a first-party series that wasn't discussed much.
That goes back to what I said about sites that don't obsess over Sakurai columns. How many people do you think are predicting Rex in Resetera or 4chan outside smash dedicated threads? I've seen paper mario more often.

None of this matters because this **** is fake.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That goes back to what I said about sites that don't obsess over Sakurai columns. How many people do you think are predicting Rex in Resetera or 4chan outside smash dedicated threads? I've seen paper mario more often.

None of this matters because this **** is fake.
Yeah. This is absolutely fake anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom