• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It'd be cool to see some non-BotW Zelda characters in the BotW style should they opt to release them as DLC afterwards - but that probably depends on how closely Nintendo wants this title to stick to canon. As opposed to the last one which was basically a FFA.

And that's not just because the Champions don't do much for me. :p

I do wonder who else they'll make playable though. Warriors games typically have a pretty big cast, and BotW... doesn't, really. Especially considering this takes place 100 years before. Other than young Impa, perhaps the King, and maybe pre-corpse Ganondorf, the rest of the list seems kinda short.

Ooh maybe we'll get the dancing Korok tree guy lmao

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Random idea: One of the characters in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity could be a Guardian. It'd have to become unavailable at the end of the game (at least for the story mission) but they could do it. Having it become a boss in the final level after being playable would be pretty cool too.
There was a mini Guardian-looking character on the art at the end of the trailer.

It'd be cool to see some non-BotW Zelda characters in the BotW style should they opt to release them as DLC afterwards - but that probably depends on how closely Nintendo wants this title to stick to canon. As opposed to the last one which was basically a FFA.

I do wonder who else they'll make playable though. Warriors games typically have a pretty big cast, and BotW... doesn't, really. Especially considering this takes place 100 years before. Other than young Impa, perhaps the King, and maybe pre-corpse Ganondorf, the rest of the list seems kinda short.

I'm wondering if they'll make a Yiga chief playable. Probably not Kohga, unless he's super old in BotW.

I could also see the Zora king.

It would be neat to see other characters, though, even if it was just semblances of those characters that could realistically exist in the world of BotW. Maybe a skull kid or Twili.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
There is evidence to support BotW is on the same timeline as OoT, MM, and TP, so seeing at the barest minimum references to those games isn't out of the question.

Now gimme BotW Midna, Nintendo.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Care to explain why? It makes sense to me why?
Because I simply find the likelihood of five fighters coming out in 2021 extremely unlikely unless something serious happens, such as Sakurai himself testing positive for COVID-19.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Your guess is as good as anyone's. Most of the game's major cast wouldn't likely be old enough in this part of the timeline, and I think that includes Hetsu.

A heropon type character, but a Korok would be the greatest though.

EDIT: I was gonna say Beedle was in this timeline, but he wouldn't be alive at this point, so it's probably a nope for him.

There was a mini Guardian-looking character on the art at the end of the trailer.
Not sure what the purpose of that character is. I thought it was a weapon until you pointed it out. I kinda doubt something so small would be playable though. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
General thoughts on this?
Honestly? At an objective level, it could have been worse... but it also could have been better. Current world events or not, Nintendo still planned a year with only one major new entry and a bunch of ports - not to mention the radio silence.

On a personal note, though... this year's biggest highlights for me were a DLC pack and two enhanced ports. I'm really hoping Nintendo steps up next year, but in the meantime Steam and indies will keep me busy.

Your guess is as good as anyone's. Most of the game's major cast wouldn't likely be old enough in this part of the timeline, and I think that includes Hetsu.

A heropon type character, but a Korok would be the greatest though.

EDIT: I was gonna say Beedle was in this timeline, but he wouldn't be alive at this point, so it's probably a nope for him.

Not sure what the purpose of that character is. I thought it was a weapon until you pointed it out. I kinda doubt something so small would be playable though. I guess we'll see.
Would the lady from the tech lab have been the right age to be doing stuff at that time? I'm thinking the little guardian thing could be a partner drone or something that she developed. But you're right, we have no idea right now.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Would the lady from the tech lab have been the right age to be doing stuff at that time? I'm thinking the little guardian thing could be a partner drone or something that she developed. But you're right, we have no idea right now.
Probably. She's another old character that remembers Link (even though she chibified herself).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As someone who always saw potential in the Champions, I'm extremely happy to see them featured in a game that'll emphasize their unique abilities and give people the opportunity to play as them first-hand.

Not sure if this will translate into any of them eventually getting in Smash, but maybe they'll pick up some more support after this game.

SKX31

Smash Master
Screw it, I'll take this opportunity to spark off some discussion about putting Zelda characters in Smash.

Who you want.
Okay, so:

1. Impa - Alright, mostly for moveset sake. While I wouldn't be opposed to one of the central characters in specific Zelda games (Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim), I have real trouble seeing Nintendo going for them when they've been routinely assigned the AT role. Anyhow, I do prefer Impa simply because she has a lot more appearances to pull her moveset from. She needs to borrow some stuff from Sheik? All right, one can go there and alter some moves. If one has to reintroduce the chain from Melee, might as well change it so it's not near-useless outside of disrespect kills. If one wants to pull from the old wise Grandma with magic? Sure, why not. Or why not Hyrule Warriors? There's a lot of appearances to go with.

2. Ganon - mostly for moveset sake again. I've never been a huge Zelda fan myself, but there is definite potential in a heavy that uses teleports or confusing invisibility to his advantage while also having decent survivability and armor. His possible weaknesses would be somewhat obvious to a Zelda fan - telegraphed attacks, vurnerable to getting opened up and somewhat limited CQC. Quite like how K. Rool plays, albeit trading some of his armor for a less exploitable recovery.

3. (Slighty) reworked Ganondorf: I do enjoy Falcondorf a lot - I'm someone with a heavy competitive lean, and Bizarro Flame is one of my favorite Smashers because he really pushed the Disrespect Ganondorf playstyle. That said, he could definetely use some more finetuning to align more with the Zelda aspect. I do agree with MockRock that the prime move that should be replaced is the Warlock Punch. It collides with his own moveset (the Volcano Kick) as far as big, disrespectful moves go, and B moves are often meant to bridge the Canon and Smash selves. A lot of other moves could stay though, especially since Ultimate already took a major step in this direction - DORIYAH is practically synonymous with him now.

Not just that, but my main issue with Ganondorf's playstyle is that he's too focused around the "Power >>>> Agility" trade off and thus he has too many weaknesses if one knows how to exploit them. He doesn't need an awful recovery if he already has a sluggish neutral and terrible disadvantage - give him his float (while making it short ranged and / or somewhat technical so that it can't be easily exploited) and we're getting somewhere.

Before I go though:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not just that, but my main issue with Ganondorf's playstyle is that he's too focused around the "Power >>>> Agility" trade off and thus he has too many weaknesses if one knows how to exploit them.
Yeah, it's kind of odd to see them doubling down on this design when if is very obvious that agility >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> power.

EDIT: Just ask Sheik.
EDIT EDIT: Also, a lot of characters in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate prove that power and agility can coexist quite easily. Power and speed just aren't counterbalances for each other in platform fighters.

Last edited:
3. (Slighty) reworked Ganondorf: I do enjoy Falcondorf a lot - I'm someone with a heavy competitive lean, and Bizarro Flame is one of my favorite Smashers because he really pushed the Disrespect Ganondorf playstyle. That said, he could definetely use some more finetuning to align more with the Zelda aspect. I do agree with MockRock that the prime move that should be replaced is the Warlock Punch. It collides with his own moveset (the Volcano Kick) as far as big, disrespectful moves go, and B moves are often meant to bridge the Canon and Smash selves. A lot of other moves could stay though, especially since Ultimate already took a major step in this direction - DORIYAH is practically synonymous with him now.

Not just that, but my main issue with Ganondorf's playstyle is that he's too focused around the "Power >>>> Agility" trade off and thus he has too many weaknesses if one knows how to exploit them. He doesn't need an awful recovery if he already has a sluggish neutral and terrible disadvantage - give him his float (while making it short ranged and / or somewhat technical so that it can't be easily exploited) and we're getting somewhere.
I think his up-tilt should be replaced with something similar to his Smash 4 up-smash. Kind of slow, but with basically no endlag. It would give his neutral game a much needed boost as he'd have a good anti-air/anti-pressure button. Changing warlock punch to something a little more faithful to Zelda wouldn't hurt, either.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think his up-tilt should be replaced with something similar to his Smash 4 up-smash. Kind of slow, but with basically no endlag. It would give his neutral game a much needed boost as he'd have a good anti-air/anti-pressure button. Changing warlock punch to something a little more faithful to Zelda wouldn't hurt, either.
Yeah, the Brawl/4 Up Smash was still something distinct for Ganon, as it was among the animation changes that removed Falcon's twists and twirls. Minus the slow startup, up tilt on the other hand doesn't really look that much different from Falcon's anymore considering Ganondorf no longer holds his leg up with a hand.

Last edited:

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
I’ve been really enjoying Hyrule Warriors DE so this is great for me, at first I thought it was an expansion but it’s cool that its standalone.

I’ll prolly pick Age of Calamity up at some point, but the vast amount of characters/weapons is still enough to keep me invested in the first one.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah, it's kind of odd to see them doubling down on this design when if is very obvious that agility >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> power.

EDIT: Just ask Sheik.
EDIT EDIT: Also, a lot of characters in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate prove that power and agility can coexist quite easily. Power and speed just aren't counterbalances for each other in platform fighters.
It can be fine from a casual perspective (Ganondorf is both less and more exploitable in FFAs with items weirdly enough), but as you said, power and speed aren't just counterbalances when the air is so important. Especially in Ultimate, where the air is such a priority. The jump squat standarization does help Ganondorf, especially since his N-Air is so good, but he could use some new aerials to help his agility problems a bit. Perhaps pulling Up and Back Airs from Zelda games? Spitballing here, since I'm not sure which moves could replace Up and Back Airs.

(... Which makes the changes to Little Mac in Ultimate even more baffling. Edit: IMHO, doubling down on his playstyle was the wrong move. But that's another issue.)

Then again, pre-patch Sheik... oof that was the true "I'll hit you 10 times and still do like 30 %."

Yeah, the Brawl/4 Up Smash was still something distinct for Ganon, as it was among the animation changes that removed Falcon's twists and twirls. Minus the slow startup, up tilt on the other hand doesn't really look that much different from Falcon's anymore considering Ganondorf no longer holds his leg up with a hand.
Yeah, I can see that - I mean, Volcano Kick is practically useless unless one wants to disrespect people (Bizarro Flame's done that several times) or catch them off guard (Ultimate's wind effect sometimes does it). Replacing it with say the Up Smash could be good because it would result in less accidental use of a near-useless move.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Didn't they confirm BOTW is canon to all three timelines?
Botw main concept seems to be inspired by Turn A Gundam(10,000 after original series, cryo sleep, future and primitive era technology existing together, post apocalyptic impressionistic settings, main characters that crossdress for disguise, hints that all timelines merged) so its possible.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Because I simply find the likelihood of five fighters coming out in 2021 extremely unlikely unless something serious happens, such as Sakurai himself testing positive for COVID-19.
We've seen with the Mario Maker 2 event (and likely everything in the Mario Direct by extension) that Nintendo is okay with delaying stuff due to COVID.

So it wouldn't be crazy to assume that the next time we get Smash news, Sakurai reveals the pandemic caused delays into mid-2022 so they don't have to do insane crunch times for all of 2021 to make it in time for the deadlines.

Not saying it will 100% happen, just that it's not impossible for it to happen.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Perhaps pulling Up and Back Airs from Zelda games? Spitballing here, since I'm not sure which moves could replace Up and Back Airs.
An up air that looks similar to Zelda's? It would interfere with Ganondorf players who use up air in neutral, but assuming he gets a faster up tilt, that would make up for it.

D

Deleted member

Even if the second and third are the Mangus Open, I have extremely high doubts that Sakurai would even bother doing another pass

Like, this dude has been working on the same game for basically what 5(?) years straight? (cross and cross 2) and now that the budget is getting lower and lower, added to the fact with the pandemic/work at home, where Sakruia apparently paid out his own pocket to pay his team equipment to work, plus he's also having a hard time contacting outside the studio for pitches and permissions, and holy ****, it's apparently harder to do this purposive budget pass, then the normal past

I wouldn't take the opportunity either
What's Magnus Open? You mean Magnum Opus or am I just missing something?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

The Persona warriors game (Scramble) only have 10 playable characters. I think that if the game focus more on story, they can have less characters. Personally I'm open for a smaller roster if that means that each character is more different and unique.

Also I think that young Impa will be playable. I'm not really a botw fan so I don't know that much the lore but I think she did participate un the war.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Whenever we get a sakurai presentation(imbettingonthismonth) , i just really hope it isnt shadowdropped and it gets announced beforehand, like it would be great if we would have time to prepare.
Realistically is likely to be either a shadowdrop reveal trailer (that announces the Sakurai presents) or a trailer paired with the presentation ala Byleth.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Wait... Oh no...
The little Egg Guardian hasn't been shown before AoC, right? And knowing what's inevitably going to happen for BotW to take place...
I've got a bad feeling about this.
He'll probably just end up shut down in a cave somewhere where he'll be rediscovered in BotW2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom