• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Hot take: Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood should be added as Pokémon Trainer style characters. Lyn would be the rushdown, Hector would be the heavy, and Eliwood would be the...I dunno but I'll think of something. The difference between this trio and the Pokémon Trainer is that the three are more powerful individually than Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard, but when you lose a stock, you lose the character who got K.O.'ed (unless there aren't any left, then it resets).

Roy is actually the biggest hurdle to this design since both he and Eliwood wield the Sword of Seals, which would force Eliwood into a rushdown playstyle and cramp on Lyn's style if we were to be consistent.

I don't think they'll keep Chrom if they cut Roy, but Lucina's almost certainly here forever; she's popular, a carbon copy of Marth, and Marth is the most important Fire Emblem character on the roster in regards to both the Fire Emblem and Super Smash Bros. series.

Yeah, that's the one thing that bugs me about the current designs of the Fire Emblem characters...well that and Corrin in general but eh.
EDIT: Actually, I just find Corrin to be lack luster, I suppose he doesn't actually bug me. Heh, it certainly doesn't bug me as much as Mega Man's Down Aerial.
Eliwood would be a mounted unit to make him distinct from Roy. I have no idea how they'd make that work though. He'd be one massive hurtbox and have a recovery that makes zero sense.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Who here has never gotten their most wanted added to Smash at all?
Well I got Toon Link all the way back in Brawl, (and I count my blessings that he has miraculously stuck around ever since...)

Other than that, unless you count Zelda being redesigned to my most favourite design of the character, :ultzelda: I've kinda been lying dry ever since... :drsad:

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Seeing how beautiful the Fire Emblem: Awakening manakete design looks when it's not in a resolution that makes them look like kelp, I would love to play as Adult Tiki. Unfortunately they'd probably go with child Tiki, which isn't really my jam. She did grow on me, but she's still not what I'm looking for in a playable dragon (also her dragon form is incredibly generic looking).

I want some actually cool dragons man! Why they gotta all be lollies?
Dragalia Lost's dragon waifus (particularly Mym): Allow us to introduce ourselves.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If we're talking about cuts, here's who I would cut if I were in charge and if I had to make cuts. Obviously, I would rather keep everyone always. But if I had no choice, as a thought experiment, here's who it would be:

:ultike::ultincineroar::ultjigglypuff::ultlucina::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultroy::ultchrom::ultrichter::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:

I picked these for various reasons: lack of variety, irrelevance, wishing I could replace them with someone else, etc. Sorry if I picked one of your favorites. I also eliminated multiple characters from some of my favorite franchises. It was, again, a thought experiment.
No Ike No Buy.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Rayman still remains my most wanted character and uh... yeah.

Even though he and a few others are missing, I've gotten more than an insignificant amount of my other requests since Brawl so I'm not hurting too bad.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
OK but if their "cool" factor is that they have boobs, I'm out.
Don't worry, Garuda and Mari****en are legit cool. One will wreck you with nonstop winds if you mess with Lowen (who may as well be her adoptive son), and the other is a dual-wielding sword user who serves an equally cool samurai-esque character while also representing the Boar in the Chinese Zodiac.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Let's see...

Sonic was my biggest want in Brawl and I got him.

Mega Man, Rosalina, Palutena, and Cloud were all characters I heavily supported for Smash 4. No Ridley though.

Ultimate finally gave me Ridley and Byleth was in my top five most wanted for DLC. Min Min was also a very welcome surprise even if I wasn't a huge supporter of ARMS getting a rep beforehand, but she's easily my favorite character from it and I'm happy with her inclusion.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
as someone who got into speculation during smash 4 dlc, i got belmonts and terry and that's about it

regardless i have a crapton of characters i want, so for this pass i'm really just hoping for any character i can go monkey over

i've learned my lesson in the past from putting all my chips on a single character's inclusion so i figure if i cast a wider net of "any character i want" i'll probably have a better chance of being satisfied with this pass when all's said and done

especially if vyse somehow someway makes it in, in which case i go
unknown-21.png

from speculation

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
The idea of "most wanted" never really entered my mind until tail end of 4 when the gloves came totally off with Cloud's announcement and the possibilities became endless. Things had to always be scaled back in my mind since, as much as I love Nintendo, my favorite characters generally lie elsewhere.

That said, I did have a highly desired character back in the Brawl days and it was none other than Ike. By far my favorite FE lord (still is after having played the entire series) and I totally called him getting in much to the chagrin of my non-FE fan friends and I mained him from Brawl to a little over half a year into Ultimate. So maybe I don't count here, I don't know.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Hmm. I never really speculated about Smash's roster until Brawl and as you know Wario was in the debut reveal trailer for Brawl, so as a result I never thought of him as my most wanted character because when I started speculating on who I wanted he was already in the roster. I guess you could say both Ridley and Waluigi kinda shared the spot of being my most wanted back then. I had a lot of characters I thought would be cool as playable characters in Smash back then (Lyn, Mega Man, Sonic, Leon, Crash, Sami, and Ashley are the ones I vividly remember wanting back then) but the two big ones I liked to see as fighters were Ridley and Waluigi. Kinda sucks that it took a decade for me to get one of them but hey it is what it is. Right now since Smash opened it's borders a bit the ones I really would love to see as well are Kratos and Gordon Freeman, but those have even less of a chance than Waluigi being playable which is saying something.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh, by the way - Shroob Shroob since you're looking into this Direct directory thingy now, you wouldn't happen to know on which exact day last week's update was?
Now that I can answer.

epicmartin7 epicmartin7 pointed out on Tuesday night that the Directory had been updated, and 2 days later, the Direct occurred.

1599510109063.png

Then, on Saturday morning my time, user Nightguything Nightguything pointed out that, once more, the Directory had been updated, posting this image:

1599510085129.png

So, that's where we are right now.

I'm just kinda scratching my head here because, while this does 'look' promising, we really don't know how the site functions since, frankly, has anyone here even ever paid the Archive any mind at all? For all we know, the page could update all the time and we just don't realize it.

And that's where we are. Until either of these folks come back, we're kinda in the dark.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm just kinda scratching my head here because, while this does 'look' promising, we really don't know how the site functions since, frankly, has anyone here even ever paid the Archive any mind at all?
I feel like its been brought up at least once before with the same sentiments around it, but I can't remember how long ago.

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like its been brought up at least once before with the same sentiments around it, but I can't remember how long ago.
Like, I 'want' to say "THIS IS IT, LUIGI!"

But we lack enough evidence. We don't know if this ONLY happens before Directs, or if this could have just been nothing but site maintenance that happens all the time without us knowing.

We need 'more' information.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Now that I can answer.

epicmartin7 epicmartin7 pointed out on Tuesday night that the Directory had been updated, and 2 days later, the Direct occurred.

View attachment 284885
Then, on Saturday morning my time, user Nightguything Nightguything pointed out that, once more, the Directory had been updated, posting this image:

View attachment 284884

So, that's where we are right now.

I'm just kinda scratching my head here because, while this does 'look' promising, we really don't know how the site functions since, frankly, has anyone here even ever paid the Archive any mind at all? For all we know, the page could update all the time and we just don't realize it.

And that's where we are. Until either of these folks come back, we're kinda in the dark.
Hm. That's interesting, at least. It could point to something earlier on this week, maybe tomorrow - that is, if this actually means something.

Could always just do a site-wide search for the term "directory". Was that mentioned in this thread?

Last edited:

Oppih

Smash Rookie
My childhood most wanted was always Rayman so I'm still holding a bit out for him but it isn't life or death for me. The 3 Smash 4 trophies for his series were enough for me.

As for Ultimate it was Banjo and an ARMS rep, specifically Min Min or Helix. Seeing both of those trailers were mind blowing, especially for something ARMS related since I thought there was no chance at all after the Spring Man assist trophy and the lack of support from Nintendo. It felt like the game was dead in the water and was going to be forgotten for a long time.

However, if I were forced to pick someone now as my most wanted, it'd probably be a Rhythm Heaven rep since it's one of my favorites and it's odd that there's not that much representation after all these years in Smash. But Ultimate has already gotten my most wanteds so I'm more than satisfied, I just like seeing speculation and see other fans react when their most wanteds get in.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Roy is actually the biggest hurdle to this design since both he and Eliwood wield the Sword of Seals, which would force Eliwood into a rushdown playstyle and cramp on Lyn's style if we were to be consistent.
Actually Eliwood uses a sword called Durandal, not the Binding Blade.
Durandal.gif

It's a really big sword, so it'd be easy to differentiate it from Roy's by giving it a ton of range / power at the cost of some frame data. I guess it would actually be more like Cloud's Buster Sword then the Binding Blade.

The biggest hurdle would actually be that they'd each basically be full fledged characters on their own, so this "character" would take around 3 times the work of any other fighter. As cool as it would be I don't see us ever getting another Pokemon Trainer style character again.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I got my most wanted in Brawl with :wario:, and :ultinkling: and :ultisabelle: were my big ones in Ultimate, so I've been pretty blessed with Smash characters lol. :ultridley: and :ultkrool: are also super dope.

Waluigi, Octolings, and Eggman are pretty much the only ones I'm still waiting on as far as dream characters go. :ultminmin, :ulthero:, and :ultjoker: were all extremely hype as well so I'm feeling pretty good with DLC too TBH. Kiryu, Arle, Yuri Lowell, Steve, and Phoenix are also pretty big for me but Arle is the only one I feel confident in ATM.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Hm. That's interesting, at least. It could point to something earlier on this week, maybe tomorrow - that is, if this actually means something.

Could always just do a site-wide search for the term "directory". Was that mentioned in this thread?
And that's my stance.

I'm more than willing to accept that the page gets updated all the time and means **** all, but it did happen 2 days before the Mario Direct, so we have a potential lead.

We just need someone who actually is in the know about how the site functions to come forward, but it's been radio silence since that Saturday post.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'll take a page of of Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura 's book (not completely sure if any of the 80 characters would rank as most wanted by themselves at the time of their respective inclusions, but I'm certainly happy with most of them and enjoy the overall package):

S: Dota 2 (next-to-impossible), Master Chief (certainly possible, although might have quite a few obstacles) KOS-MOS (in wonky territory)
A+: LoL (certainly possible, might even approach semi-likely territory), Dante (seemingly one of the most likely Capcom characters, semi-likely) Tracer / Overwatch (possible, albeit major underdog due to competition)
A: Ring Fit Trainer (Pretty much deconfirmed as a DLC Spirit), Ezio (seemingly deconfirmed due to Altair's Mii Costume using his theme in the trailer), Reimu (certainly possible, might approach semi-likely)

There's a lot of characters I'd welcome with open arms though, so I'm not fussed really.

Also:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

#BestCommercialEver

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
All characters I have investment in getting into Smash are in, in some form.

So basically at this point I'm hoping for more Spirit promotions and seeing what 3rd party craziness comes our way.

I don't know what's worse, that we may not get a character announcement until next year, or that they may randomly drop a character on us out of nowhere, as Nintendo seems to want to do these days.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
And that's my stance.

I'm more than willing to accept that the page gets updated all the time and means **** all, but it did happen 2 days before the Mario Direct, so we have a potential lead.

We just need someone who actually is in the know about how the site functions to come forward, but it's been radio silence since that Saturday post.
Mh. Well, for what it's worth, there were Nintendo announcements of some kind for every week for the past three. That is, the Indie World on the 18th of August, the Partner Showcase on the 26th of August, and the Mario presentation on the 3rd. Having something this week as well wouldn't be too out there.

So JonComms is retiring from GameXplain

BUT

he tweeted this...

Not everything Jon tweets has to do with Smash. . .

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Could be this one, the previous one, or I'm misremembering.

Actually Eliwood uses a sword called Durandal, not the Binding Blade.
Hm...Could have sworn I've seen him with the Binding Blade. Maybe I just projected it onto him because he looks almost exactly like Roy pre-redesign. lol

It's a really big sword, so it'd be easy to differentiate it from Roy's by giving it a ton of range / power at the cost of some frame data. I guess it would actually be more like Cloud's Buster Sword then the Binding Blade.

The biggest hurdle would actually be that they'd each basically be full fledged characters on their own, so this "character" would take around 3 times the work of any other fighter. As cool as it would be I don't see us ever getting another Pokemon Trainer style character again.
So in that sense he could be a more balanced character, or a more traditional zoner. The latter would be good for the rush down, heavy, zoner trifecta.

Would they actually give him a horse though? I feel like they wouldn't since it's from his promoted class.

I definitely don't think it's likely since it is straight up three characters and the only other time we've seen something like that done for a concept was for the Mii Fighters, but I think it would be a perfect way to represent Fire Emblem: You've got multiple units and you have to manage them properly. If you don't, they die for good.

So JonComms is retiring from GameXplain
Isn't he its founder? Who's taking up the mantle?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Brawl had Diddy, my most wanted character ever. But each Smash gave me characters I desperately wanted, except Smash 4.

Melee had Mewtwo.
Brawl had Diddy. Also really wanted Ike, Lucas, Toon Link and Charizard.
Smash 4 didn't had much, but Mewtwo and Roy and Lucas came back.
Ultimate had K.Rool and Banjo, and to a lesser extent Chrom, Byleth, and cut Smash veterans I missed.

I really can't complain anymore.

toonito

Smash Ace
I've been pretty fortunate in every Smash Game I've gotten a character I really wanted

:link64:
:younglinkmelee:
:snake:
:4megaman::4ryu::4cloud:
:ultken::ult_terry:

for the streak to continue the following characters would have to be in FP2:

Sol Badguy = most wanted overall as of now
Chun-Li
Ryu Hayabusa
Dante
Doom Slayer
Master Chief
Gym Leader Bea
Axel Stone
Zero
Crash Bandicoot
Toad = most wanted 1st party

Last edited:

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Wooow I've been lurking boards like this since around the Melee years, and now that you mention it I've never gotten any of my most wanted over the years. Isaac has been my most wanted and the one I really got into speculation for - but even older ones like Bomberman and Majora who I just thought were cool.. as well as Lloyd and Krystal who I cared about more in the past, most of them are Assists. Newer ones like 2B..

That's a little disappointing to realize!

Shroob

Sup?
Would be very interesting if the next character really is Koei Techmo(Or, in the case of the other character in that SS, Microsoft).

Considering I'm not expecting CP8 until early next year myself, I have to wonder what that'd do to speculation*CoughMariocharacterspeculationCough*

Shroob

Sup?
Is there really anything pointing to this being a Smash hint?

Or are we just jumping the gun for the millionth time 'cause we're desperate.
Absolutely nothing, except for "Bizarre context-less Tweet".

I honest to god don't think it means anything, and if you look in the comments, people are already freaking out, which was probably Jon's plan from the start.

...but.... what if, Jon knows, I know... that he's trying to mess with us, and if Jon knows I know, then does Jon know I know that he knows? But then does that mean he knows I know he knows that I know....?

1599513335467.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom