• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'd rather remain totally in the dark than have my hopes continually raised and then immediately dashed over and over again. This was supposed to be the week that the 'big' direct was to drop.

I know people hate the over reaction, but I'm done with this. I hope Resetera follows through and bans each of the leakers who predicted a big direct to follow the previous two small directs we had to deal with. No more leakers; they all need to go.

Silence is much easier to handle than being promised a puppy only to be given a dollar store goldfish over and over and over again.
Resetera has stopped bannimg fake leakers for ages. Since nate has been wrpng for awhile and still is there

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I wonder how likely a Byleth esque mystery announcement for FP7 is at this point? Assuming the Amiibo wave theory still holds any water, it could something like Nintendo announcing something on a Monday in September for a presentation that week followed by a release the following week.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah i think while a general direct is a bust at this point, i think it is likely to get a sakurai presents for FP7 announced the day before anytime during the next 2 months. Sakurai has said the development is going well and said they havent been delayed yet(at least in his sakurai columns he stated this), so September or october seems to fit their current timetable to be finished by the end of 2021.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I'll just go on the assumption that we aren't going to get a general direct for the rest of this year and whatever else Nintendo has up their sleeve will be Twitter shadowdropped like Origami King and Pikmin 3. We'll find out about FP7 in the next Mr. Sakurai presents sometime in the fall.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So I think there's a bit to just point out here.

Partner Showcases are probably a thing because Nintendo isn't developing those games. They are made outside of Nintendo, which means that those devs are more easily able to identify release dates and everything else.

Nintendo first party titles have been announced by Twitter. This is probably because they don't want to commit to release dates in case they can't make good on them. This is clear through Paper Mario and Pikmin 3.

That said, Smash is developed externally which means that any upcoming presentation will probably be on schedule and simply not reveal the character beforehand. Think like the Byleth presentation. With Min Min having her presentation done in May, presented in June, chances are the presentation itself is done.

All this means is, first party titles will probably be announced separately, Partner Directs are easier to work on due to Nintendo itself not having commitment issues to release dates, and Smash is probably on track, but isn't revealed until just before release.

EDIT: Smash development usually works in groups of 3, meaning 3 are usually worked on at a time. Min Min and two others were worked on, meaning now picks 7-9 are in the works. 7 is, probably, close to being done. Doesn't mean a reveal is imminent, but I don't know that we'd be waiting until October.

That's my thought process anyway. What do you think?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I wonder how likely a Byleth esque mystery announcement for FP7 is at this point? Assuming the Amiibo wave theory still holds any water, it could something like Nintendo announcing something on a Monday in September for a presentation that week followed by a release the following week.
God, Nintendo WOULD do this and I absolutely hate it. Sakurai does so much yet he's forbidden from planning out the marketing I swear

zferolie

Smash Hero
So I think there's a bit to just point out here.

Partner Showcases are probably a thing because Nintendo isn't developing those games. They are made outside of Nintendo, which means that those devs are more easily able to identify release dates and everything else.

Nintendo first party titles have been announced by Twitter. This is probably because they don't want to commit to release dates in case they can't make good on them. This is clear through Paper Mario and Pikmin 3.

That said, Smash is developed externally which means that any upcoming presentation will probably be on schedule and simply not reveal the character beforehand. Think like the Byleth presentation. With Min Min having her presentation done in May, presented in June, chances are the presentation itself is done.

All this means is, first party titles will probably be announced separately, Partner Directs are easier to work on due to Nintendo itself not having commitment issues to release dates, and Smash is probably on track, but isn't revealed until just before release.

That's my thought process anyway. What do you think?
I think this is very likely, and it fits how nintendo has stated they want to explore new ways to release news. They may make directs only for partners and nindies for the future, and all other news just dropped on twotter or big conventions

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Do we know if the Japanese version of this partner showcase had any different announcements? The last one had Ryza 2 and Sakuna

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Do we know if the Japanese version of this partner showcase had any different announcements? The last one had Ryza 2 and Sakuna
Pretty sure it had Spiritfarer, a horse racing game, and a few other games which were shown off during the indie direct (for whatever reason)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Well that was a thing...an improvement on the last partner showcase for sure. (though that's not saying much) Nothing particularly caught my interest, apart from maybe FFCC but we already knew about that game, so....

Whether it actually affects if there's still going to be something on Friday still remains to be seen. It all really depends on what Nintendo has planned for their own announcements since this was a third party showcase. It's seemingly less and less likely we'll be getting any full general direct in the near future.
I've been keeping busy with Final Fantasy titles on my Switch so I'm in no real hurry at the moment.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I truthfully think at least for the foreseeable future, traditional Directs are done. Nintendo is seemingly content with working with this new format of Partner Showcases for, well, partners, Nindie Presentations for small developers, and using their own social media for their own projects. I'm hopeful that we might eventually return to the old formula, but who knows: Nintendo always changes things out of the blue, and sometimes it sticks. Only time will tell.

But yeah, FP7 is gonna be in a Sakurai Presents. My best guess is sometime within the first few weeks of September.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
While there is a 0.0000071529238% chance this direct followed up with a mini on Friday that announces some first party stuff, it seems that currents for any further August announcements. While today's showcase was leagues better than the July one, it was still somewhat mediocre and relied a little too heavily on filler. Here's to September?

Also, it seems like now a real wake-up call for blindly following insiders. No one, not even the most knowledgable of those among us with the best track record, knows exactly what is happening in terms of Nintendo's 2020. Insiders do give us something to talk about and do provide some guidance as to when something is happening, but it's also plainly clear that they aren't infallible and their word doesn't guarantee anything.

On that note, I'm also throwing my hat into a Sakurai Presents presentation for fighter #7 in late September or early October. Ultimate has been relatively consistent about giving us a new character every three to four months after a wave of characters starts up. Plus, Sakurai has stated in the past that FP2's development really wasn't thrown off by COVID and the switch to working from home. Given this information and the fact that Min Min was announced and released at the tail end of June, it really feels like something is closish.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I blame myself for letting the insider hype get to me, but man my week just feels down the drain now. There’s nothing to look forward to anymore, just another depressing week of busy work and sitting at home.

maaaaaybe next month.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Well that was a thing...an improvement on the last partner showcase for sure. (though that's not saying much) Nothing particularly caught my interest, apart from maybe FFCC but we already knew about that game, so....

Whether it actually affects if there's still going to be something on Friday still remains to be seen. It all really depends on what Nintendo has planned for their own announcements since this was a third party showcase. It's seemingly less and less likely we'll be getting any full general direct in the near future.
I've been keeping busy with Final Fantasy titles on my Switch so I'm in no real hurry at the moment.
The whole point of a Partner Showcase is that it shows off previously announced third party games.
Which is why the first one is so much better. :troll:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I do hope for Nintendo's PR/Social media teams' sake that if a mystery direct for FP7 does happen that its a relatively well liked and/or hyped fighter. The mystery angle ended up greatly contributing to the online backlash towards Byleth, and fair or not, many are going to place their hopes on a Smash reveal as being a source of good news. If its construed as a letdown especially after this summer, it will not be pretty.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I'm expecting something next month.

And that something is another partner direct.
Yep, Nintendo is really serious about these. If there are any first party games left they will be dropped on twitter while the partner showcases continue. Next smash character will follow the Byleth/Min Min formula: mystery character presentation announced a few days prior on twitter.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I do hope for Nintendo's PR/Social media teams' sake that if a mystery direct for FP7 does happen that its a relatively well liked and/or hyped fighter. The mystery angle ended up greatly contributing to the online backlash towards Byleth, and fair or not, many are going to place their hopes on a Smash reveal as being a source of good news. If its construed as a letdown especially after this summer, it will not be pretty.
The reason why people didn't like Byleth is because of the series they hail from.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Oh man, imagine the absolute rage the more childish fans would act if this is just a pokemon, cinderance or something.

Though honestly, i think 9f we were gonna get another pokemon, they would have did the ARMS thing, to help temper some expectations... though we also had the shadowdrop byleth...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, but the mystery announcement, followed by a few days waiting/hype, and then the reveal certainly didn't help.
Not helped by the constant deconfirmations at the time made the Smash community at the time a very toxic place. Oh, and Min Min was announced the same way but got far less hate. At least in that case we knew what franchise was going to get a character.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
That would just lead into arguments about whether it's Cinderace, Rillaboom, Urshifu or maybe Toxtricity and Dragapult. It wouldn't be much better than the ARMS one, even though there's 100 more potential characters it could be.
That would just make it worse. Just imagine they say "it's a pokemon" and everyone starts going through each individual Pokemon to guess who it would be.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
We're most likely getting nothing on the 28th, unless the insiders got mixed up in the possible case of a new 3rd party character getting revealed for Smash on that day.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Hm, at this point a random 'Sakurai Presents' next month seems more likely than a proper Direct.
I honestly think all the remaining characters will follow this formula. It's already been like that for the last two characters and Directs are done for a good while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom