• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
A Pokemon guessing game for the next fighter?
Look, I'm as desperate for news as the next guy, but I think I can safely say we're not that desperate. Some cans are better left sealed.
But you can't deny that a Pokemon guessing game has a high possibility of happening since it's currently the best possible time to advertise the game and it's DLC. :4pacman:

Anyways here's something to cheer you all up after the last direct lol
(content warning: language)

zferolie

Smash Hero
That would just lead into arguments about whether it's Cinderace, Rillaboom, Urshifu or maybe Toxtricity and Dragapult. It wouldn't be much better than the ARMS one, even though there's 100 more potential characters it could be.
You guys guess gen 8 pokemon and I'll be here waiting for my girl Cynthia.

checks date

In what way?
Only that something happened this week.

A Pokemon guessing game for the next fighter?
Look, I'm as desperate for news as the next guy, but I think I can safely say we're not that desperate. Some cans are better left sealed.
Honestly i think people expecting a pokemon are only doing it because we got a FE in dlc last time and people want to assume the least hype choice

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
There are 16 months remaining for them to deliver the 5 fighters on time. As much as we may not like it, they could very easily not reveal/release the next character for a few months and still be on track. I've been of the mindset for a while that we'd only see one more character this year, and that is looking more and more likely.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly i think people expecting a pokemon are only doing it because we got a FE in dlc last time and people want to assume the least hype choice
That's pretty much what it is from what I've seen. People trying to be realistic even if they dislike the choice. And I imagine some people just want to be correct for once given how the first pass was and just go with a safe choice.

Even though I am 50/50 on it possibly happening. I can see it happen but it's as an inevitable outcome as many people make it out to be.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I know I've said this many times before, but I don't dislike the idea of a Pokemon, personally. I'd be super hyped if Cinderace made it.

I think the odds are good, but nothing is ever 100% until Nintendo confirms it. I just think odds are high given a Pokemon fits a lot of the same molds Byleth did around the time, and because, well, it's Pokemon. :drshrug:

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
...I know there'd be a ton of online wars that will galvanize fans alongside what they see as their best game in the series, but if Nintendo had the audacity to do another guessing game, Zelda would probably be the least controversial (mind you, it'll still be chaos) IP they could do if the entire series, not just the latest game, was open for adding new characters.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well, that was... Unexpected. The quality seemed to be more evenly distributed instead of being carried by one game at the end.

Call me too optimistic for my own good, but I'm still holding out to see if there's anything on the 28th or 31st. Nate said a general would be announced Thursday and a mini would be shadowdropped. Why would a general be only announced one day in advance instead of two? Plus, and he insists there's still more to come. Perhaps this is why. That, and I much prefer having proper dates to look forward to over an endless void, even if those dates ultimately mean jack. Besides, Grubb says we'll get something in September, so there's always that to look forward to.

That being said, Nate's reputation is on the line here. If the 28th comes and goes without anything, he's about to lose a lot of credibility.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
So, considering the fact the rumored 28th Direct is heading towards us fast, what kind of stuff are you hoping for from it?(assuming it's a direct at all and not a partner showcase of course)
FP7 is a must. I understand Covid delays, but even with that, I don't see why FP7 wouldn't be ready for at least a teaser, if not a full trailer. Based on Amiibo theory, they would still have a month or so till release, which I think would be plenty of time to fine-tune what should be a nearly-finished character. And if they want to stick to the December 2021 deadline, at least one more character should release this year. FP7 release late September/early October, FP8 reveal late 2020/early 2021 with a release by February, and they'll be on track

Edit: Should have read through the rest of the thread since we got a Partner Showcase lol. Still, if/when we finally do get a Direct

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So, if Nate is still adamant on saying some more nintendo news is happening friday, it means either he was fed wrong information, or something is happening. Its not going to be a direct of course. Its one of 2 things.

Its either another twitter game announcement like pikmin and paper mario. Or its an announcement of a sakurai presents next week. I think the former is more likely but i feel the smash character can drop anytime in the next 2 months to still be on time.

Ifnit is a game, i feel its that skyward sword remake. Its small enough that a twitter drop fits. A mario anniversary collection is likely too but infeel they may spend more time on that. And breath ofnthe wild 2 is only a direct thing i feel

That's pretty much what it is from what I've seen. People trying to be realistic even if they dislike the choice. And I imagine some people just want to be correct for once given how the first pass was and just go with a safe choice.

Even though I am 50/50 on it possibly happening. I can see it happen but it's as an inevitable outcome as many people make it out to be.
Yeah thats pretty much how i feel it is. Pokemon is a nice safe bet, but its not a 100%

I know I've said this many times before, but I don't dislike the idea of a Pokemon, personally. I'd be super hyped if Cinderace made it.

I think the odds are good, but nothing is ever 100% until Nintendo confirms it. I just think odds are high given a Pokemon fits a lot of the same molds Byleth did around the time, and because, well, it's Pokemon. :drshrug:
I mean I'm not against a pokemon, i just feel its not a certainty like some people like papagenos. If we were getting a pokemon i want a trainer that fights alongside, like a champion such as Cynthia. If we had to get a 8th gen Dragapolt would be my top pick for a playable ghost type

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man, are they really going to reveal every character in this pass the week before they come out? I’m just about done with the guessing game now. Just reveal everyone right now like other fighting games do.
That seems to go against Sakurais hype cycle plan. I wouldnt mind them showing them off now. Or some of them. I mean sf5 reveals have still be hype, even with just showing a sketch of the characters now. Akira in sf5 omg!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Worst case scenario, if a Pokémon guessing game is next they could only choose a handful like the usual speculation regulars like Rillaboom, Toxtricity, Urshifu and Calyrex just because among others

y’all want REAL hell? League of Legends guessing game. WITH ALL 150+ CHAMPIONS.

I.D.

Smash Lord
That seems to go against Sakurais hype cycle plan. I wouldnt mind them showing them off now. Or some of them. I mean sf5 reveals have still be hype, even with just showing a sketch of the characters now. Akira in sf5 omg!
There is no Sakurai "hype cycle plan". He doesn't care about the surprise factor. He even said at some point he isn't a fan of making people buy something they don't really know the contents of.
Nintendo is in charge of character announcements, and it's not hard to see why, they generate buzz and fill out and extend the duration of Directs.
Since Directs are no more for a good while (or at least I suspect so), there isn't much reason to keep the characters hidden if they are simply going to be revealed in their own presentations, as anyone tuning in for those already owns/cares about Smash Ultimate... but Nintendo being Nintendo they will probably still go with that plan.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Man, are they really going to reveal every character in this pass the week before they come out? I’m just about done with the guessing game now. Just reveal everyone right now like other fighting games do.
While I don't want everyone revealed right now, I miss getting a trailer and then waiting a month or so for the Sakurai Presents. It's a fun time of speculating about how the character will play, especially if we only see a few moves in the trailer. Guessing game like Min Min got didn't give us this as much as it could have, because we didn't know the specific character.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Well the hype cycle is on life support currently, so it’s not like they’re doing a good job supporting it.

Its crazy how great the marketing for FP1 was but how it’s damn near non existent for FP2.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Y'know, I think this is the first time in my short time on SmashBoards I've actually seen you excited.
Tbh, Im shocked myself. Itts like, I got my two favorite games Taiko and the Kingdom Hearts all in one Direct and all of a sudden I'm happier than I ever was

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Well the hype cycle is on life support currently, so it’s not like they’re doing a good job supporting it.

Its crazy how great the marketing for FP1 was but how it’s damn near non existent for FP2.
I’m going to add on to this & say it’s definitely not Sakurai’s fault. He’s seem disappointed about selling people a product without allowing them to know all of the contents. I imagine he would be doing the marketing for FP2 very differently... probably by It actually existing.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
And at this point, this will very likely happen.
The Geno thread went ballistic on me the last time I brought this up. Something about "ruining the one good thing in 2020 so far" or something.

The only thing that thread loves more than Geno is Insiders.

SKX31

Smash Master
Okay, so overall thoughts on each game now that things have calmed down:

Kingdom Hears MoM: Hey, a release date! That's good at the very least. Not much new here, but it seems like it will be decent at least, and likely a good game.

Chrystal Chronicles Remastered: See above. That said, owned the original GCN game, so I'm personally interested in this.

FUSER: Looks kinda like a standard casual couch game. Could work, but this ain't no "Ressurection of Guitar Hero".

Just Dance 2021:

Big Rumble Boxing: Creed Champions: I know the Creed movies are recent and done pretty well, but it feels a little off to have Rocky in and not have him be the title character. Looks a bit too much like the awful / amazing Kinect fighting game for me to be interested.

World of Tanks Blitz: Very much the kind of game where one's into it or one's not. Especially since it places a premium on historical tanks (but in a F2P environment of course).

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2: Looks pretty good at the very least. They are adding new stuff over the original (like a new mode) which is nice to see.

The two Taiko games: Well, why not? Releasing those two games in one package will only be a good thing, especially now when the Taiko games are on the rise.

Collection of SaGa Final Fantasy Legend: ... where's the Game Boy games on the NSO Nintendo? I'm not ragging on the collection itself - the collection could've been on the NSO instead. Still, if one in interested in this, why not?

Jump Force: Like Dr. Yatagarasu previously said - I really wonder how the Switch will handle the framerate. If it does handle the framerate, I'm gonna petition Alpharad to make a second video of him beasting on people with Yugi's Stands. With just the single Joy Con.

Captain Tsubasa: On one hand, there's not been a lot of more silly football / soccer games as of late, so this fills a niché. On the other hand, apparently the frame rate wasn't the best?

Minecraft Dungeons DLC: Don't have much to say here honestly.

It is a major improvement over last month's Partner Showcase. That said, the presentation also had a couple clunkers. Still though, these games might help to fill up the catalog. Yes, the big games are very important, but the smaller games are also neccessary in their own way.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Pokemon Guessing Game: Put 1-896 in a number generator and whatever number you get is the next DLC rep

Let's see, I got 647... KELDEO CONFIRMED. Ascended his Pokeball status like a king.
I got Luxray...

Well I did use it in Diamond so no complaints.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Pokemon Guessing Game: Put 1-896 in a number generator and whatever number you get is the next DLC rep

Let's see, I got 647... KELDEO CONFIRMED. Ascended his Pokeball status like a king.
20200826_124756.jpg

20200826_124832.jpg

OH WOW A MON PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANTED!

MAYBE 6 YEARS TOO LATE, BUT HEY! LOL

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
There is no Sakurai "hype cycle plan". He doesn't care about the surprise factor. He even said at some point he isn't a fan of making people buy something they don't really know the contents of.
Nintendo is in charge of character announcements, and it's not hard to see why, they generate buzz and fill out and extend the duration of Directs.
Since Directs are no more for a good while (or at least I suspect so), there isn't much reason to keep the characters hidden if they are simply going to be revealed in their own presentations, as anyone tuning in for those already owns/cares about Smash Ultimate... but Nintendo being Nintendo they will probably still go with that plan.

Ok sakurai was the wrong thing i typed meant nintendo. I wish they would show more now

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Piplup. I was somewhat hoping for it to be some sorta semiclone of Squirtle, if not Oshawott.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Beheeyem

y'all aint ready :shades:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Got Noivern. I'm absolutely 100% okay with that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom