• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
When everyone keeps talking about a Pokemon Gen 8 rep constantly but your series has virtually died in terms of speculation despite the fact that your spirit events literally came out back to back.

Leon Kennedy Returns For RESIDENT EVIL: VENDETTA | FlipGeeks

Yes yes, I know why..... (3rd Party, difference in size, yada yada). Still think it's unfair.
It hurts man. Jill or Leon would’ve made me so happy. It just goes to show how crazy the Smash roster can be.

Resident Evil had just about everything going for it:

- The biggest Japanese series not in Smash. Only behind Mario, Pokemon, Final Fantasy & Sonic. It’s actually even recently passed up Zelda

- A gaming icon. It essentially started the horror genre. Much like Nintendo’s biggest series, it’s constantly reinvented itself in new & exciting ways to stay relevant

- Several of its games are seen as some of the best of all-time. Notably the original Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 4 & the remakes of Resident Evil 1/2

- Strong history with Nintendo with several games in the series being exclusive (atleast for a while). The majority of the series is on Switch

- Many of its characters are gaming icons, particularly Jill & Leon

- Would offer a unique moveset since there’s no firearms focused characters in Smash yet. I’m sure Sakurai could’ve implemented item management & survival horror elements too

- From a Company already in Smash that is notorious for being in any crossover possible

- Was starting to gain a following in the Smash community. I think a lot of people thought it was unlikely before Joker which is why none of the characters ever became big picks in the community

- It’s a safe pick overall. I don’t think anyone would’ve been angry about a RE character getting into Smash & I think it would’ve been a pretty newsworthy addition too

I’m still shocked that it got passed over. I have to imagine that the talks happened. The only reasons I could think of as to why is either that Nintendo didn’t want a series with RE’s level of gore represented in the playable cast. Or that RE was on the table but Nintendo/Capcom decided on someone else either because of the character’s moveset or Capcom wanting to promote that character’s series instead of RE.

True, though it would have been just as cool to have as part of the Street Fighter stage.
Street Fighter has some of the best music in gaming. I LOVE SF2’s OST but we absolutely did not need 3 versions of everyone’s theme & somehow still not have Akuma’s. It’s a crime that Alpha, SFIV & especially SFIII/SFV got shafted. The SFIII OST is a known legend, but I think SFV’s OST is just as good tbh.

As for the Pokemon talk. I don’t really have too much of a say in it since I have very little experience with the series. But if we have to get one then I’d like Cinderace. He seems like he’d have a fun personality & moveset in Smash.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly, Inteleon seems to have more going in its favor than Rillaboom. The anime is almost forty episodes in, and Grookey hasn't even been seen, let alone Rillaboom. Cinderace is more marketable than either of them though.

Also, if Sakurai ever got the chance to see how Rillaboom stacked up against other Gen 8 Pokemon in terms of popularity, I doubt he'd feel comfortable adding it. Rillaboom is significantly less popular than Inteleon and Cinderace.
I'm not sure if the anime have that much impact as we think. For the gen 7 Pokémon Sakurai stated that he heavily considered Decidueye, but choose Incineroar simply because he like wrestler. It seems that Pokémon company let him choose the Pokémon (or atleast, let him choose among the starter or the other popular one). I think if gen 8 rep happen, Sakurai will just choose his favorite or the one that he thinks would be the most fun. I personally think he would choose Intelleon because it seems like he could do a lot with the spy theme in the same way that he did a lot with the wrestler theme, but I don't think baboom is out of the question if he want to experiment with the drums.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I'm curious if someone could sell me on a Valkyria Chronicles character. I've played the demo for 4 and own the game (haven't played it, waiting until I finish Dark Souls), and I've seen a couple people mention it as a series we could see a fighter from. I'm just not sure how it would work or how they could differentiate the character from Snake (assuming they wouldn't put the character into a tank).
My "strategy" for beating Valkyria Chronicles was stacking a bunch of orders on Alicia and having her traverse the whole map while facetanking enemy fire and having her complete whatever the objective is on her own, from capturing flags to blowing up tanks.
So my proposal: have Alicia do all the actual fighting but "her" special moves are Welkin issuing orders from the background, providing buffs, cover fire and requesting strategic bombardments.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
My "strategy" for beating Valkyria Chronicles was stacking a bunch of orders on Alicia and having her traverse the whole map while facetanking enemy fire and having her complete whatever the objective is on her own, from capturing flags to blowing up tanks.
So my proposal: have Alicia do all the actual fighting but "her" special moves are Welkin issuing orders from the background, providing buffs, cover fire and requesting strategic bombardments.
That could actually work, I was thinking just have Alicia by herself would do just fine but having welkin in the background sort of like Pokemon trainer or the guy who wields the zapper with duck hunt would do a better job at capturing how the gameplay in VC is about the commander giving orders just as much as The soldiers fighting.

And the first game is all about the relationship between those 2 characters so it makes sense to have both of them together.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
This thread discussing Pokemon...

One user: This Pokemon sucks. I don't like it.

Other user: How dare you! That Pokemon is awesome.

Repeat until direct is announced. :troll"
Hey, someone has to speak out for the Shuckles and the Carkols of the world.

And I'm just in this thread to ****post anyway.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey, someone has to speak out for the Shuckles and the Carkols of the world.

And I'm just in this thread to ****post anyway.
I mean yeah Shuckle is awesome and Carkol is just the awkward middle evolution to a hulking coal Goliath! Er... Coaliath!

Besides we all know Toxtricity is the ugliest Gen 8 Pokemon anyway.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I've seen like three people wonder why people call Fire Emblem and Pokemon overrepresented but give a pass to Mario, and to me the answer's obvious. Mario has a criteria for choosing characters that doesn't suck. When Mario gets a new character, it's never "well you see, this dude was in the latest game, applause pls", it's an established character that more often than not has some support. There have been some shenanigans like the additions of Dr. Mario and Piranha Plant and the glaring absence of Toad, but overall people can be pretty certain they'll be into the selection.

With Pokemon and Fire Emblem, to paraphrase SpongeBob, it feels like somebody's trying to sell us something. If people felt confident that they could get Lyn, or Eevee, or Deoxys, or whoever, you'd see much less complaints. And yes, I know that this doesn't actually address the number of characters, which is kind of the sticking point for arguments of representation, but c'mon. This is the Smash fanbase. Give them what they want and they'd ignore their own arguments.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It hurts man. Jill or Leon would’ve made me so happy. It just goes to show how crazy the Smash roster can be.

- The biggest Japanese series not in Smash. Only behind Mario, Pokemon, Final Fantasy & Sonic. It’s actually even recently passed up Zelda

- A gaming icon. It essentially started the horror genre. Much like Nintendo’s biggest series, it’s constantly reinvented itself in new & exciting ways to stay relevant

- Several of its games are seen as some of the best of all-time. Notably the original Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 4 & the remakes of Resident Evil 1/2

- Strong history with Nintendo with several games in the series being exclusive (atleast for a while). The majority of the series is on Switch

- Would offer a unique moveset since there’s no firearms focused characters in Smash yet. I’m sure Sakurai could’ve implemented item management & survival horror elements too

- From a Company already in Smash that is notorious for being in any crossover possible

- Was starting to gain a following in the Smash community. I think a lot of people thought it was unlikely before Joker which is why none of the characters ever became big picks in the community

- It’s a safe pick overall. I don’t think anyone would’ve been angry about a RE character getting into Smash & I think it would’ve been a pretty newsworthy addition too

I’m still shocked that it got passed over. I have to imagine that the talks happened. The only reasons I could think of as to why is either that Nintendo didn’t want a series with RE’s level of gore represented in the playable cast. Or that RE was on the table but Nintendo/Capcom decided on someone else either because of the character’s moveset or Capcom wanting to promote that character’s series instead of RE.
I honestly can't believe they couldn't even get Mii Costumes. So many of the characters in the series have such iconic outfits that could easily sell gangbusters and come with songs.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I've seen like three people wonder why people call Fire Emblem and Pokemon overrepresented but give a pass to Mario, and to me the answer's obvious. Mario has a criteria for choosing characters that doesn't suck. When Mario gets a new character, it's never "well you see, this dude was in the latest game, applause pls", it's an established character that more often than not has some support. There have been some shenanigans like the additions of Dr. Mario and Piranha Plant and the glaring absence of Toad, but overall people can be pretty certain they'll be into the selection.

With Pokemon and Fire Emblem, to paraphrase SpongeBob, it feels like somebody's trying to sell us something. If people felt confident that they could get Lyn, or Eevee, or Deoxys, or whoever, you'd see much less complaints. And yes, I know that this doesn't actually address the number of characters, which is kind of the sticking point for arguments of representation, but c'mon. This is the Smash fanbase. Give them what they want and they'd ignore their own arguments.
If only we could get the Fire Emblem character that was actually trying to sell us something, or the Pokemon with the cash to back it up.

Fire Emblem if (Fates) RAM Hacking - *MAJOR SPOILERS!* Anna the ...

Untitled.png

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
An updated one with all 8 Gens would satisfy enough. I'm thinking maybe 30-40 different Pokemon that aren't playable
Hmm, let's see:
Kanto
  • Squirtle (Yeah I know he's playable, but c'mon, he's the first face you see in the original. He's gotta come back!)
  • Onix
  • Psyduck
  • Slowbro
  • Snorlax
Joto
  • Unown
  • Wooper
  • Wobbuffet
  • Girafarig
  • Heracross
Hoenn
  • Wailord
  • Rayquaza
  • Deoxys (randomly appears in 1 of its forms)
  • Breloom
  • Swampert
Sinnoh
  • Torterra
  • Combee
  • Pachirisu
  • Darkrai
  • Togekiss
Unova
  • Victini
  • Pignite
  • Boldore
  • Solosis
  • Stunfisk
Kalos
  • Floette
  • Aegislash
  • Hawlucha
  • Avalugg
  • Carbink
Alola
  • Brionne
  • Toucannon
  • Minior (This one is attackable, and if you break the shell, you'll reveal the color underneath. The color is random.)
  • Stakataka
  • Toxapex
Galar
  • Orbeetle
  • Wooloo (This one is bouncy!)
  • Cramorant (This one releases an Arrocuda balloon.)
  • Arrocuda
  • Dragapult

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
i honestly dont like any of Gen 8s pokemon designs. like wtf is that ****ing penguin
Finally... someone who agrees.

These designs are either really plain looking or just fursuits.
Hold on this isn't fair! I was only showing the bad ones. Here are some of the actually good designs:
1597367046672.png
1597367070932.png
1597367091881.png
1597367101164.png

We got the alien ladybug,_________________The electric & bass guitar lizards,_________The Spartan soldier kirbys,__________And our lord and savior

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As someone who doesn't play Pokemon this might be incredibly silly question given the numbers, but is there anything close to a consensus on which ones from previous generations should be in Smash (i.e. the ones that would cause the least salt if they were inexplicably revealed in the second fighter's pass)?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As someone who doesn't play Pokemon this might be incredibly silly question given the numbers, but is there anything close to a consensus on which ones from previous generations should be in Smash (i.e. the ones that would cause the least salt if they were inexplicably revealed in the second fighter's pass)?
Gardevoir and Meowth are probably the only ones close to that. They tend to stand above the rest in terms of requests.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
3 and 5 are first up: now classic Gens both missing a playable rep.

2 and 4 would follow, Gens that people wouldn't be bothered with more

then 1, 6 and 7; 6 and 7 are new and controversial while 1 has been called "over-representitive"

edit: from Gen 3 and 5, the most popular requests are probably Gardevoir and Zoroark respectively. Gen 3 you could argue Blaziken and Sceptile are up there, and I'm sure more. Gen 5 really only has Genosect besides, I don't see many requests for others.

Last edited:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

Even though I haven't played a resident evil game, I do feel really bad for anyone that wanted Jill/Leon to be a playable character only to be crushed by being post base spirits.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
D

Deleted member

i honestly dont like any of Gen 8s pokemon designs. like wtf is that ****ing penguin
Finally... someone who agrees.

These designs are either really plain looking or just fursuits.
Ahem..... if I may interject?
9D592330-E055-4CB3-858D-F3CF87DA9674.png

That is all.
Also I don’t see a problem with furry like designs, but then again I’m pretty biased in that regard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
3 and 5 are first up: now classic Gens both missing a playable rep.

2 and 4 would follow, Gens that people wouldn't be bothered with more

then 1, 6 and 7; 6 and 7 are new and controversial while 1 has been called "over-representitive"

edit: from Gen 3 and 5, the most popular requests are probably Gardevoir and Zoroark respectively. Gen 3 you could argue Blaziken and Sceptile are up there, and I'm sure more. Gen 5 really only has Genosect besides, I don't see many requests for others.
My personal pick for if they added a gen 3 rep would be castform. I think he could be a very unique character and have lots of moveset potential with his transformations. I was developing a moveset for castform but I never finished it. I need to finish it sometime and post it.
6186F7D3-CE09-4F0D-A07A-6A99063042F1.png

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Pokemon needs a piranha plant, something truly unexpected and weird. I like stuff like Pokken tossing in Chandelure, a popular pokemon that nevertheless was just not on the radar at all to be in a fighting game.

It's why I wanted Primarina over Incineroar. A mermaid fighting with bubbles was just all kinds of different. For this game do something bonkers like Corviknight: a popular, recognizable pokemon that no one in their right mind would assume would make sense in Smash.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ahem..... if I may interject?
View attachment 282199
That is all.
Also I don’t see a problem with furry like designs, but then again I’m pretty biased in that regard.
Well I've been a fan of Pokemon for my entire life and in that whole time I've noticed a shift in how they are designed, the best examples are looking at the starters, in the earlier generations they looked like, you know. Beasts, monsters that you could easily imagine existing in a fictional natural environment that is Pokemon. And somewhere along the line this was shifted to where at least one of them looked like a guy in a mascot costume.

And this also applies to other Pokemon, the reason I don't like Linoone's evolved form is because I feel like it clashes aesthetically with the first two forms, since the first two forms come from a different era where they were designing the monsters in a different way.

If you like that sure, but to me it feels too much like a drastic shift in tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom