• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Maybe the reason for NOA removing the logo from M-rated franchise is to prevent certain series being spoil during the presentation.

Look at what the ESRB did to this trailer.

You’d think they’d still show the logos and put the following disclaimer in the rating: “Persona 5/Metal Gear Solid/Bayonetta/Fallout/Assassin’s Creed rated M by the ESRB”

maybe they’ll do that for future presentations

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Maybe the reason for NOA removing the logo from M-rated franchise is to prevent certain series being spoil during the presentation.

Look at what the ESRB did to this trailer.

Smash presentations use something like "E10 - T" assuming there's gameplay of a T rated game shown. Byleth's showcase and the August 2018 direct both show T rated titles (Three Houses and Melee respectfully). Min Min's seems like an outlier, I went through the whole thing again and there was no T rated footage.

The Mii costumes have nothing to do with it either because the individual Mii trailers have the E10 rating and no other rating:

Really I think the censorship of the series is more to do with NOA's desire to try and be family friendly. Especially since other regions (and in game alerts) had the franchise named.

Quick thing I'm gonna point out is this doesn't apply to franchises with playable fighters.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To be honest, I don't think the inline spoilers are all that effective at being spoilers since it looks more like a glitch than a censored spoiler.

Could be a way to depict muttering under your breath like with strike-through though.

EDIT: Perhaps you could have it say why it's a spoiler when the text is moused over?

Also, I noticed that asterisks are now macros for italics, bold, and bold italics, but that means that using asterisks to denote an action just makes things italic (I suppose it can be used to denote out of character text, but this isn't role play and it's also used for emphasis so I think it's a lot less clear here). Is there a way you could bypass the macros? Perhaps adding a \* or something?

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It is a shame that Nintendo doesn't release character cosmetic dlc. They could really be used to break up the drought periods between DLC characters. In fact, if it's possible, they could have released the Mii costumes in between character updates instead of with them.

D

Deleted member

Here's another question for ya'll:

What's your pipe dream character? That is, a character which is technically eligible but it likely won't happen for one reason or another?

For me, that's a character from Wizard101, an MMO I play alot. It's technically eligable but A) It's an MMO which has had nothing ever representing that genre and B) The game is already long past it's prime and I don't think it's likely to be even considered ever.

On the odd chance it does happen ever I would love to see some of Wiz's ost; it's some really banger stuff, like this track:
Maybe even some Pirate101 ost but that's pushing it I wager.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

What's your pipe dream character? That is, a character which is technically eligible but it likely won't happen for one reason or another?

For me, that's a character from Wizard101, an MMO I play alot. It's technically eligable but A) It's an MMO which has had nothing ever representing that genre and B) The game is already long past it's prime and I don't think it's likely to be even considered ever.

On the odd chance it does happen ever I would love to see some of Wiz's ost; it's some really banger stuff, like this track:
I guess KOS-MOS can qualify at this point since Bamco said no to Xenosaga HD Trilogy (for now)

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Klonoa. Bandai-Namco's in a good spot and his games are loved by pretty much anyone who plays them, but Bamco didn't advertise them so he flew under the radar and flopped horribly. That and he hasn't had a game in over a decade now. Unless Nintendo really wants to push that rumored Klonoa Encore, I don't see little wahoo boi happening any time soon.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

My pipe dream character would be Raz from Psychonauts.

While he's technically eligible for Smash (Double Fine's owned by Microsoft, so he's from a company that has a character in Smash, and he appeared in Bit.Trip Runner 2 on Nintendo consoles), and he's the main character from one of my favourite games of all time, the problem is that his game's pretty obscure.

It proved to be popular enough through crowd-funding to get two sequels (one game that's VR-exclusive as far as I know, and Psychonauts 2, which is coming out some time next year), but even then, it's a cult classic rather than a huge hit, and it came out 15 years ago.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I shall still shout Estelle's name from the mountaintops.

Trails is fantastic and Falcom has always had a chance in Smash. She could correspond to Cold Steel 4 on the Switch, And is more unique than Adol so she could bring fun gimmicks to the table.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If you are talking in a big sentence like this it’ll collapse then into spoiler tags. It’ll also do this for Media so it doesn’t take up the whole screen.

otherwise it’s like this

Edit: actually I’m mistaken. Regular spoilers follow the usual [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ]but without the spaces

the blur spoilers are [ ispoiler ] [ /ispoiler ] but without that spaces.
Oh! Excellent!

SKX31

Smash Master
And since I'm talking MOBAs and SKX31 SKX31 mentioned Dota 2 AoE a few days ago... how would Status Resistance fare in Smash, I wonder? :troll:
Serious answer? Could work. Consider paralysis-esque moves (Paralyzer, Dragon Fang Shot, Pac-Man's Bell) - they last 1.5 sec (90 frames) max in Ultimate. (Smash is not a 5v5 game) So already, Status Resistance wouldn't be able to eclipse that. Mechanics like Status Resistance could still be very interesting because that could further innovate within the paralysis mechanic. I'd imagine that Dota's and LoL's stuns in general would also follow the paralysis mechanic for the most part.

Dota 2's crazy stun timers are because A) IceFrog and co. balance the game around the overall teamplay - two players shutting down one opponent for 20 secs (and some stuns are channels too) might result in a disadvantageous 3 v 4 elsewhere, B) a lot of characters have such stuns or similar stuff and C) counterplay via spells and items are really prominent. Status Resistance items decrease the stun time one suffers for example.

Dota 2, because I personally grew up around the original mod (it came out on WarCraft III's Custom Games server when I was 14) and have followed the genre since Valve acquired the Dota rights and announced Dota 2 in 2011.

I know the game's nigh-impossible in Smash - it's got competition within Valve in the form of Gordon, Heavy and Chell as well as competition within the genre: Tencent (LoL's owner) is cooperating much more closely with Nintendo than Valve is at the moment. But damnit, a character from that game would be ridicolous(ly fun).

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
My pipe dream character WAS Master Chief, but nowadays he's seen as actually possible. maybe not THAT likely, but possible.

If I had to think of a new pipe dream character on the spot though, then I'd probably go with Miriam from Bloodstained. Bloodstained has had 3 games to its name, and all 3 games are on Switch, but compared to other indie, first party, or third party franchises, Bloodstained doesn't exactly stand out that much, which is why I really doubt Miriam would be included in Ultimate.

I guess we will see what happens with the Bloodstained franchise leading up to an eventual Smash 6 or Ultimate port or whatever we get though.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Serious answer? Could work. Consider paralysis-esque moves (Paralyzer, Dragon Fang Shot, Pac-Man's Bell) - they last 1.5 sec (90 frames) max in Ultimate. (Smash is not a 5v5 game) So already, Status Resistance wouldn't be able to eclipse that. Mechanics like Status Resistance could still be very interesting because that could further innovate within the paralysis mechanic. I'd imagine that Dota's and LoL's stuns in general would also follow the paralysis mechanic for the most part.

Dota 2's crazy stun timers are because A) IceFrog and co. balance the game around the overall teamplay - two players shutting down one opponent for 20 secs (and some stuns are channels too) might result in a disadvantageous 3 v 4 elsewhere, B) a lot of characters have such stuns or similar stuff and C) counterplay via spells and items are really prominent. Status Resistance items decrease the stun time one suffers for example.
Hmm. I know I made the original post as a joke, but come to think of it we don't really have a character with true AoE, right? Closest thing we got are trapper-esque zoners that use projectiles, like the Belmonts. Could be interesting to see what Sakurai could do with that.

Aside from MOBAs, I also remember one video in support of Diablo that had similar stuff. From Duke of Dorks, I think.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Amaterasu. A cult following ain't gonna get you past the likes of Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, or Phoenix Wright. Heck, I'd be willing to bet they'd add Arthur first as a cool retro character first. I'd expect even Darkstalkers would get a character before Ōkami since they like putting Morrigan in everything despite the assumption that people don't like Darkstalkers.

I hate Wizard 101 for being such a money sync, but I'd be down for the Young Wizard in Super Smash Bros. Especially since it'd mean jamming out to the battle themes of Krokotopia, Marleybone and Mooshu plus whatever new themes they've had since I stopped playing all those years ago.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Brian from Quest 64.

It's not simply cause the Quest franchise is currently dead(I can't say finished, since they did scrap the sequel, titled Quest 64 2 at the time), it's because it's also 3rd party and Nintendo would have no reason to license something they can't make money off of. If it's at least an active product, it's not a big deal if they don't outright make money beyond the sales. Like with Banjo-Kazooie, where Microsoft is clearly getting the advertisements. It doesn't have this luxury. And there's no reason to buy the rights to it, since there's no guarantee it'd sell well, even if they released it via some collection on the Switch.

It's not a matter of unique gameplay Brian could bring or anything like that. There's multiple ways to make it work. You don't even need an MP meter, which admittedly is too difficult to balance when a spell costs 1, 2, or 3 points to cast(and if they included boss spells, theoretically 4). Being a master of 4 elements, there's tons of options for filling out moves alone.

That said, Quest's OST is lovely, even as midis alone. It has a ton of unique enemy designs that make for very easy spirits. The hardest thing is figuring out a stage at best, since finding a location that's iconic to the series isn't too easy, but moreso on what kind of mechanics the stage could have to make it actually interesting. It's notable enough that the only hack was just a remake of Green Greens with different colors alone representing World of Mammon. And there's more than one stage that could be loosely used(Pokemon Stadium 2 can easily show off some of the various game areas. Like the Flying section could be turned into Normoon) for a hack alone. I even had trouble figuring out something good, before going with Isle of Skye(using Blue Cave and Crystal Valley as part of it) just to make a fun and interesting stage.

The last thing is it not having a good chance to sell well as DLC. Not even as a bonus character(not that Quest lacks a fanbase, but it clearly was not one of the better selling franchises to begin with). He'd work fine as a base game addition, since there's multiple other more notable characters anyway to want.

D

Deleted member

I hate Wizard 101 for being such a money sync, but I'd be down for the Young Wizard in Super Smash Bros. Especially since it'd mean jamming out to the battle themes of Krokotopia, Marleybone and Mooshu plus whatever new themes they've had since I stopped playing all those years ago.
Wizard101 is well worth the money now NGL. Going from Wizard City at lvl 1 to Empyrea at level 130, with easily years worth of content is well worth the $10 fee.

Especially when you have jamming themes like this:

But back to the topic at hand methinks.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

It's really hard to pinpoint "pipedream" characters when it comes to Smash speculation soley because Smash sure loves them curveballs. Characters like Joker once held the moniker of "pipedream" by many before that fateful Game Awards night.

But if I have to pinpoint one in particular, I'm gonna have to go with Segata Sanshiro. He would be an awesome love letter to a very overlooked console and one of the most memorable ad campaigns in video game history

Definitely not happening cuz Sega's got way too many other potential candidates with a lot more relevance and notoriety.

Also, some people aren't even sure he'd even qualify for other reasons, most notably due to his non-game origins. That being said, he was made with video games in mind and is owned by the game company in question. If ROB is eligible I'd say Segata totally is. Not that that's saying much since he's still ain't happening in a million years

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace

Thanatos, Kamek, and the Hollow Knight are all pipe dreams for various reasons. Thanatos only appears in a couple of chapters in Uprising and is really a minor character in the grand scheme of the game, Kamek is always shafted in nearly every spinoff, and Hollow Knight's not the most popular indie character requested for Smash.

7NATOR

Smash Master
OH if we're talking about Eligible Characters...

Mine is Vergil, or Noob Saibot. Sephiroth is up there as well

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice

My pipe dream character is Crazy Dave from Plants vs Zombies. He has lots of moveset potential by using the plants and I love the plants vs zombies 1 and 2 games. His games are still decently popular (not that a character’s game has to be popular to get in but I still think it helps)
And the reason it probably won’t happen is because of EA .

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Thanatos, Kamek, and the Hollow Knight are all pipe dreams for various reasons. Thanatos only appears in a couple of chapters in Uprising and is really a minor character in the grand scheme of the game, Kamek is always shafted in nearly every spinoff, and Hollow Knight's not the most popular indie character requested for Smash.
From stat buffs to minion summoning, Kamek would be a super cool addition to Super Smash Bros., and would be a great second representative of the Yoshi series (Well, there's also Poochy, but I'd imagine he'd hit a lot of the same beats as Yoshi and Olimar).

It would be really cool if he could mess with his opponents stats as well, perhaps with his throws. Like, Up Throw could raise the opponent's initial jump height for a few seconds, which means their short hop is now also doubled, which means that they can't combo as easily. It also doesn't affect their double jumps so they couldn't even use it to recover.
EDIT: They could use it to catch you in the air though, so you'd have to be weary about that.
EDIT EDIT: Using it on Little Mac makes his jump height acceptable. Using it on Falco makes him reach the top of the screen. lol

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master

I would instinctively say Master Chief, but he's no longer a pipe dream thanks to Banjo & Kazooie.
So here's my second pipe dream character.

SlyCooper.jpg

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

My Pipe dream characters are Banjo & Kazooie. I'm very sad that they're still not in the game...

... But really my pipe dream character is and always will be Sgt. Cortez! Time to Split...

... But the gifs don't work right now...

Please stop laughing smaller.png

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'm torn on whether Eggman counts as a pipedream character. They'd probably add Shadow, Tails, and maybe Knuckles first, and they still have yet to add a second playable Sonic character whatsoever. But on the other hand, Eggman is widely recognizable and fulfills the villain role. More and more franchises have been getting their villain, and Eggman is probably next in line.

Poochy, Kamek, Gruntilda, and Yooka & Laylee are my pipedream picks for certain

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Tifa, because despite already having Cloud, it is less likely we'll get any more Final Fantasy content, and even if we do we may get a protagonist from a different game instead of another FFVII character.

Also I guess we could count Midna since she's an assist trophy.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Sparkster from Rocket Knight Adventures.

A long inactive character via a franchise that only made one Nintendo appearance, from a company that has many other potential fighters that would much preferred and would likely make more money than him.

But I don't care; he was a fun character from consistently good set of games (well 3/4 ain't bad), with a great look, with awesome soundtracks, and some solid moveset potential. Forget the debate about cereal mascots vs. sword wielders, why not have the guy who's both?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Mine is Nintendog.

........What? I want to play as a cute doggo and bite the arms of my foes.
The Nintendogs gimmick is that you don't actually control the dog itself. You play as a floating hand that throws a tennis ball. You have to put down some food and water when it yelps towards the screen or else it becomes unhappy. Also you have to pet it everytime it does a good boy move.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It is a shame that Nintendo doesn't release character cosmetic dlc. They could really be used to break up the drought periods between DLC characters. In fact, if it's possible, they could have released the Mii costumes in between character updates instead of with them.
I WANT SANTA ROBIN, NINTENDO

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Ganon_(Oracle_of_Ages_&_Oracle_of_Seasons).png
As far as I know, there's basically no obstacles to seeing Ganon in Smash; He's a first-party character, so no need to reach out to myriad companies to negotiate rights, as the main villain of the Zelda games, he will never have to worry about relevance, in terms of moveset potential he has more than enough moves to pull from for two movesets, especially since Ganondorf is more than content to crib off Captain Falcon for moves, in terms of roster representation, Zelda has been hurting for newcomers since either Melee or Brawl, depending on your views on Toon Link being a replacement for Young Link or not, and for those who think he'd be too big, the 2D Zelda games offer an incarnation that can easily be shrunk down to Bowser or K. Rool-sized.

His only real issues are a lack of popular support and people who only think of him as Ganondorf's super saiyan form.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I just realized that it is Event Night

Do you think we are getting new spirits or just another random tourney?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
View attachment 281944
As far as I know, there's basically no obstacles to seeing Ganon in Smash; He's a first-party character, so no need to reach out to myriad companies to negotiate rights, as the main villain of the Zelda games, he will never have to worry about relevance, in terms of moveset potential he has more than enough moves to pull from for two movesets, especially since Ganondorf is more than content to crib off Captain Falcon for moves, in terms of roster representation, Zelda has been hurting for newcomers since either Melee or Brawl, depending on your views on Toon Link being a replacement for Young Link or not, and for those who think he'd be too big, the 2D Zelda games offer an incarnation that can easily be shrunk down to Bowser or K. Rool-sized.

His only real issues are a lack of popular support and people who only think of him as Ganondorf's super saiyan form.
Toon Link used Young Link's assets to be created, but also followed the same "clone rules" as him. He's not a literal replacement, but he sure feels like one. Since both are back in Ultimate, it confirms they're meant to be different characters, despite the same core role(young variant).

But overall, yeah, he's a newcomer when it comes to Smash.

Anyway, Ganon would be awesome. He's the only core form of the Triforce trio actually missing. There's some secondary ones like Tetra and Toon Zelda missing too, but we have the rest otherwise. I'd also love to see Tingle and Impa(specifically her Oracle design). And there's a ton of other notable one-offs like Midna and Ghirahim who would make some rather amazing options. Not ones I'd add personally, but there's no denying what neat stuff they can do.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Him.

Bet none of you are even gonna know his name without looking it up or reading the url of that image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom