• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Steve is not a contentious character. Everyone agrees that logistically, he's a great fit for the game, but he's hard to interpret beyond that. It's well within reason that he could make it into this pass, but it's quite vague as to how. Will there be a building mechanic? Will there be an inventory mechanic? Will there be a tool durability mechanic? There's so many possibilities, it's quite hard to pinpoint his exact implementation. The question is no longer "Can Steve be in the game", it's "If he's in, how would he work", and that's a much harder question to answer.

Master Chief is a different story. He isn't immediately a great candidate due to being a more mature character, but would fit well within the roster. Microsoft is likely more keen to have him in rather than Nintendo. Can Master Chief be in the game? That's a complicated answer involving many years of old video game companies, their interactions and their goals.
I don't think you were here for the early days of DLC speculation and 'vergeben' rumors. Steve was a VERY contentious character. If its died down in recent months, its because other character releases or possibilities have caused their hopes to either shift or die down a bit.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Nothin' special today.
We have gone too long without a deconfirm
I thirst for the blood of a Spirit Event and the salt of the fans

We the fans demand B L O O D
And then it's a big name like Shantae, Dante, or Master Chief. Careful what you wish for, kids.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
We have gone too long without a deconfirm
I thirst for the blood of a Spirit Event and the salt of the fans

We the fans demand B L O O D
And then it's a big name like Shantae, Dante, or Master Chief. Careful what you wish for, kids.
You are so twisted!

Nah, just messing with you, and I know you are kidding...

...I hope.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
You are so twisted!

Nah, just messing with you, and I know you are kidding...

...I hope.
I feel like my joking should be obvious here.
Still, something to alter the speculative scene again would be nice, even if it's minor. That, or seeing a big name get spirited away and the ensuing fallout. I kinda want to see what would happen then.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Still, something to alter the speculative scene again would be nice, even if it's minor. That, or seeing a big name get spirited away and the ensuing fallout. I kinda want to see what would happen then.
I was just saying "I hope" for a little dramatic effect there. :p

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I don't think you were here for the early days of DLC speculation and 'vergeben' rumors. Steve was a VERY contentious character. If its died down in recent months, its because other character releases or possibilities have caused their hopes to either shift or die down a bit.
I think Banjo/Kazooie now safely being in Smash has settled a lot of the would be reticence about Steve being a fighter. A lot people's preferred Microsoft character got in, so why not have the likes the latter show up if that's whom Sakurai and/or Nintendo wants?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
With each week that passes, I get both eager to see which new Spirits we could get, but also a sense of dread that it's going to be one of my most wanted. Not necessarily in that order.

I think we should still get one more event with new Spirits before CP7. I guess part of me just wants the bandaid ripped off already, while simultaneously craving more content.

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
I still have this expectation that Dragalia Lost is going to get a spirit event sometime. I have my doubts about them doing Euden as a playable character, but it seems weird that it's a Nintendo IP of the last few years that's totally unaccounted for when Astral Chain and Ring Fit Adventure got spirits in the door.

Less realistically, I'd love if they did a spirit event for miscellaneous Switch eShop stuff that Nintendo's put out in the last while, like The Stretchers and Good Job. These aren't really on the table for playable representation, but a little something would be nice.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Nothin' special today.
Man, there’s no way that at least getting 1st party Spirit Event eights should be this hard, even with having to work at home.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I think we'll get a new Spirit Event soon. Sakurai said that things were progressing smoothly during the Min Min presentation, although I'll admit it's possible things could've changed. Either way, I'm still feeling August is pretty much gonna be empty; September's gonna be the month where we'll hear more again.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Step 1: Ryu Hayabusa gets a Spirit.
Step 2: Smash theorycrafters try to twist this into being Byleth's fault for being Fighter 5 (because EVERYTHING is Byleth's fault apparently).
Step 3: ???
Step 4: The Smash community burns once again.

Or something like that, at least. Am I doing this right?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey, so, probably not the right thread for this, but is there any way to make likes show up like they used to, or am I just gonna have to get used to it looking like nobody likes the jokes I like?

Last edited:

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
i think the whole working from home thing has affected procuring the rights to new spirits. yes, even within nintendo for first party ones.
I think in terms of first party spirits, the issue is less about procuring rights and more about not having new games. Origami King doesn't count because I said so.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think in terms of first party spirits, the issue is less about procuring rights and more about not having new games. Origami King doesn't count because I said so.
I can think of several existing games to make spirit events out of

Luigi’s Mansion 3 - Green themed event with a new Gooigi Spirit
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition - Shulk (Future Connected), Melia (Future Connected), Kino, Nene
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore - Tsubasa Oribe (already exists, is just added to the event rotation just because), Itsuki Aoi, Touma Akagi, Kiria Kurono. The Spirits of Itsuki, Touma and Kiria also evolve into their Carnage Forms like Tsubasa

... I feel like I’m forgetting another different big first party game that’s not Origami King

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Yeah IDK why people stopped talking about Steve.

Like...I don't think anything's changed for Steve's chances. He's still a perfectly viable contender in my eyes. Heck, I'm honestly more confident in him than I am Master Chief. Chief would be amazing, but I'll be honest and say I'm not quite sure where all the recent "Chief is in!" predictions are coming from. :drshrug:
Because there isn't really anything that changed for him both good and bad, its still the same arguments over and over again without really any evidence helping anyone's case regardless if they want him or not.

i think the whole working from home thing has affected procuring the rights to new spirits. yes, even within nintendo for first party ones.
I imagine there were planned spirit events for unannounced first party games that were planned to release this year, but then covid delay the game.

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I watched Fatal Fury: Legend of the Hungry Wolf and Fatal Fury 2: The New Battle today. The New Battle was more like Rocky 3 in a sense, but more depressing. After Terry lost to Geese Howard's half brother, he almost never got his fighting spirit back. It took Tony fighting Axel Hawk to get him back to his senses, and the final battle was really amazing to watch.

Fun fact: Fatal Fury 2 was also where Terry learned the Buster Wolf technique.

7NATOR

Smash Master

I thought it wouldn't happen but here we are...
View attachment 281995

Both my most wanted characters in the same game. Time for them to hit the jackpot in smash as well.
I guess it would make sense they make Dante DLC in the Remaster. Be easier for Capcom to get their money through DLC instead of the rest of the game

But wait, aren't Raidou and Dante's Fights Very Similar to each other in the previous respective versions. How will they differante their battles, or will they actually do that?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I guess it would make sense they make Dante DLC in the Remaster. Be easier for Capcom to get their money through DLC instead of the rest of the game

But wait, aren't Raidou and Dante's Fights Very Similar to each other in the previous respective versions. How will they differante their battles, or will they actually do that?
I'm assuming that if you purchase Dante you will be able to select which one will appear in your playthrough, before starting a new game.
I don't think they will put both characters at the same time, that would require major changes for the game.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Their twitter page explains it:
1597202443045.png
TL;DR it's a straight up replacement option.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm assuming that if you purchase Dante you will be able to select which one will appear in your playthrough, before starting a new game.
I don't think they will put both characters at the same time, that would require major changes for the game.
Their twitter page explains it:
View attachment 282004
TL;DR it's a straight up replacement option.
I see Now. Thanks guys

And looking at this, If they do Put Dante in Smash, I hope they don't Skip DMC2 as a Costume option, because it is a Sick Costume. Just because the game it comes from is bad, doesn't mean everything in it needs to be discarded

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I see Now. Thanks guys

And looking at this, If they do Put Dante in Smash, I hope they don't Skip DMC2 as a Costume option, because it is a Sick Costume. Just because the game it comes from is bad, doesn't mean everything in it needs to be discarded
Sakyot, please add Dee Em See 2. It is da best gaem!

(I hope someone gets this)

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I think the reason for Steve dying down and Master Chief going up is to due to more a focus being shifted to Master Chief which has come due to a new game release in Halo Infinite which Microsoft has advertised a lot.
I dont see how steve has died down?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I dont see how steve has died down?
Moreso the discussion around Steve has died down. It of course stands to reason it would as Halo is receiving an upcoming main installment while Minecraft has been trucking along for the better part of 2 decades. I imagine until we see one or the other, Halo will overtake Minecraft for this speculation cycle.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
When Brawl got delayed and the DOJO had to drag out its updates several months longer than it was planning to, it resulted in some truly mundane updates in the interim before we got back into the home stretch.

Same energy now with the weekly events.
Oh the Brawl Dojo, I remember staying up till the early hours of the morning waiting for the weekly updates, only to get something like "rotation"

You Must Recover is still a joke between me and my brothers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom