• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

Do you guys think Ultimate should turn into live service game in line with Fortnite, PUBG, etc? This way, they don't have to worry about cutting roster. People can keep dreaming about their most wanted as Ultimate will keep going on and on.

7NATOR

Smash Master
A mobile gacha of the SMT series. It's one of the few gachas where I can say the models look better than what is in the source games.
As off-color as it is from the main series...
It's got a banger theme song
Ahh that's cool. While it's cool they are in a mobile game, it would be Nice if they can crossover in a Console game as Well, even if it's not Smash.

---------------------------------

since there isn't much news going on, and I've been wondering myself this once again, I got to ask

KOS-MOS Mod Takedown

Do you think it was Namco trying to bait us. I know Namco is one of those companies that has some of the best Leak Prevention. i Know nintendo took down the Video and it's stayed down, but could Namco have been pulling the strings behind the scenes, or was there more merit to this video than meets the eye.

I've asked about this before, and the conclusion was that it was actually Nintendo that took it down. However whether it was because people got together to make a prank and bait Nintendo to take down the video, or it was On Nintendo's/Namco's terms to take it down remains to be answered

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Do you guys think Ultimate should turn into live service game in line with Fortnite, PUBG, etc? This way, they don't have to worry about cutting roster. People can keep dreaming about their most wanted as Ultimate will keep going on and on.
Honestly, I'm for it.

Considering Ultimate is made to be the definitive Smash Bros experience, anything after this is gonna be divisive.

Heck the way content is added makes it perfect actually. Characters and stages are added no by series but by number which makes it work.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

At the same time people won't be happy constantly having to wait for their old favourites to come back, GaaS would need a smaller base game and I sure as **** don't want to wait until the last few characters to get one of my old mains back, it'd also demand Nintendo to have more communication about the future content, and we've seen that unlike every other fighting game, Smash likes to announce and release stuff whenever

7NATOR

Smash Master

It would be epic, however because Sora Ltd. are developing Smash, with the help of Namco, there needs to be some sort of Divison created dedicated to creating Future Smash content, because it seems like Sakurai himself is done with Smash after FP2. I don't know about the other Sora Ltd. Employees, but giving the game to Nintendo Developers could mess up everything and stuff

Personally I think they might actually try that With Smash 6. I think them trying to turn Ultimate into a Live Service game this late into the game will be Complicated.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Moreso the discussion around Steve has died down. It of course stands to reason it would as Halo is receiving an upcoming main installment while Minecraft has been trucking along for the better part of 2 decades. I imagine until we see one or the other, Halo will overtake Minecraft for this speculation cycle.
What do you mean by overtake?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
At the same time people won't be happy constantly having to wait for their old favourites to come back, GaaS would need a smaller base game and I sure as **** don't want to wait until the last few characters to get one of my old mains back, it'd also demand Nintendo to have more communication about the future content, and we've seen that unlike every other fighting game, Smash likes to announce and release stuff whenever
On top of that, Nintendo would also be running into people feeling that they got rid of all of the characters so they can sell them all back which would basically kill any sort of positivity surrounding the game. Heck, even if the next game isn't run like a service, DLC is going to be incredibly difficult since everyone will want more veterans, but giving it to them will probably still piss them off.

I think if they did run the next game as a service, I think what they'd have to do is add 1st party veterans in bundled with a new mode (which could be bought separately if the new mode doesn't interest you), and newcomers and 3rd party veterans sprinkling in between these bigger releases. Oh, and the base game would have to either be smaller and cheaper, or about the size of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

God no, GaaS are trash.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Like, what do you people define as a live service game?

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If the next game fixes the buffer system, implements a decent netcode, and incorporates a cool new gameplay mechanic that not only adds to the fun but is compatible with both casual and competitive play, then it has the potential to surpass Ultimate for some people. Sure the roster won't be as big, but I'll accept a reduced roster size (as long as it's not too crazy and it doesn't affect the characters I like) if it means virtually every other part of the game is better.

Like. what do you people define as a live service game?
Don't worry I got you :bowsette:

But if you want an answer that doesn't involve an hour long video then a live service game, or games as a service as it is known, is a revenue model where a game is monetized heavily after it's initial sale, so the game is continuously updated but as a downside it gets filled with micro-transactions or/and it uses subscription models. Think of something like Destiny as an example of a game like that.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If the next game fixes the buffer system, implements a decent netcode, and incorporates a cool new gameplay mechanic that not only adds to the fun but is compatible with both casual and competitive play, then it has the potential to surpass Ultimate for some people. Sure the roster won't be as big, but I'll accept a reduced roster size (as long as it's not too crazy and it doesn't affect the characters I like) if it means virtually every other part of the game is better.

Don't worry I got you :bowsette:

But if you want an answer that doesn't involve an hour long video then a live service game, or games as a service as it is known, is a revenue model where a game is monetized heavily after it's initial sale, so the game is continuously updated but as a downside it gets filled with micro-transactions or/and it uses subscription models. Think of something like Destiny as an example of a game like that.
Yeah the game has a lot of glaring issues regarding controllability, especially mixed with the terrible online in both functionality and quality.

I understand this is the "best roster smash has ever and will ever have" and yadda yadda but man there's something to be said about the gameplay aspect and boy if this is the way smash goes out, I'm going to be a bit sad.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I'd definitely like to see this outcome as Sakurai has stated that the roster will never get this big again. However I don't think Smash Ultimate was designed to be a service game and I also don't think Nintendo would do that anyway.

keleyeemoh

Smash Apprentice
As far as pipe dream characters go, mine is Knuckles the Echidna. When I was a kid, I wasn't allowed to have a gaming console. But for some reason, computer games were fine. I found a loophole when I discovered that Sonic 3 & Knuckles had been ported to the PC. I still know those games like the back of my ****ing hand, and Knuckles was easily my favorite character. I also subscribed to the Sonic comics as well as the Knuckles spin-off. To this day, I consider Knuckles to be the secondary Sonic character, even though I know that Tails, Eggman, and Shadow will probably get in ahead of him. But the day Knuckles gets in will be the day that my childhood is complete.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Paid DLC for a remaster eh...

You know, those things are USUALLY, like, definitive and content complete.
I'm gonna assume this is due to copyright issues.

Like why the returning 3rd Party Mii costumes are all DLC in Ultimate, yet all the 1st Party costumes in Smash 4 are all base game in Ultimate.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Interesting for me to Remember:

Back in my Brawl Days, when I was only on neogeo for speculation, I had a banner of the characters I expected after the initial five were revealed:

1- Toad
2- Tom Nook
3- Isaac
4- Krystal
5- Ridley
6- Balloon Fighter
7- K Rool

AHA! Funny to think of that now. Those werent even my most wanted, just who I thought would happen.
All this time later... I think the big surprise for me is actually Balloon Fighter

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I'm gonna assume this is due to copyright issues.

Like why the returning 3rd Party Mii costumes are all DLC in Ultimate, yet all the 1st Party costumes in Smash 4 are all base game in Ultimate.
Essentially this. They have to pay royalties to Capcom to be able to use Dante. I still think 10 bucks is too high for the content received but at least there's a reason for it.

SKX31

Smash Master
Hmm. I know I made the original post as a joke, but come to think of it we don't really have a character with true AoE, right? Closest thing we got are trapper-esque zoners that use projectiles, like the Belmonts. Could be interesting to see what Sakurai could do with that.

Aside from MOBAs, I also remember one video in support of Diablo that had similar stuff. From Duke of Dorks, I think.
There are no characters with AoE stuns / status effects outside of - IIRC - Jigglypuff's Sing and Lucas' PK Freeze (not outside of Final Smashes and Pokeballs / ATs - I'd consider ZSS' down smash, but it's really small), albeit there are some AoE moves. Examples include:

• Explosives in general, but most notably Link's Remote Bomb
  • DK's Hand Slap
  • Magic Burst / Kamikaze

Could actually see the value of Ultimate or a future Smash 6 being turned into live service games. Could potentially keep a Smash game alive for years on end - and another benefit of live service is that once developers get comfy with the engine they can continue to experiment further. Some experiments do fall apart, sure, but oftentimes those experiments inject something new in a years old game.

However, there are a lot of pitfalls with the model (as there are with any other model, but we're talking live service here). If microtransactions or subscriptions are included those need to avoid being seen as overly painful to customers' wallets. If it is, well, that alone can break such a game from the get go; Metal Gear Survive's way of handling microtransactions practically ensured that it was going to crash and burn.

Also, live service games are long term projects. Meaning that they're developer intensive - a live service game needs a team that's able and willing to commit over the long haul. Also, said team needs to be adaptable and ready to get patches out or even overhaul the game (FF XIV) should something go pearshaped.

All in all, I'm cautiously for such a game, but any company that goes for live service need to tread carefully. Nintendo included.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Hey, so can somebody remind me what the current state of probably credible leakers/insiders saying stuff was? I recall one guy saying that there might be something between the 11th and 22nd of August, and another(?) saying something like Indie World on the 17th. Who was saying what again, and how reliable are they?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Paid DLC for a remaster eh...

You know, those things are USUALLY, like, definitive and content complete.
Licensing isn't always that simple though and Dante is on a bit of a come back right now thanks to DMCV's big success making him a more valuable than ever inclusion. Sometimes reality just gets in the way of things. If Smash Ultimate is ever ported, I guarantee you that Hero would still be additional DLC you had to buy separately because of how Sugiyama takes certain percentages of any product he's involved with.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Nothin' special today.
idk, all the mini red bowser exploding from behind the koopaling looks pretty special

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
I don’t see Bandana Waddle Dee getting in over Dixie Kong. While both are highly requested, I feel like Dixie is way more popular and recognizable and you can do a lot with her moveset. I also feel like it would be a major disservice to her if she was a Diddy Echo. I don’t see it happening. Her unique hair, and the fact that she can take flight and attack with it makes her more of a standout.

Bandana Waddle Dee is a bit more niche, and while he seems to be playing the role of the fourth musketeer in Kirby games, I just don’t see him getting in, unless they do a Fighter’s Pass 3, but Ifeel like Dixie should come before Bandana Dee.

Having said that, my prediction for the final five FP2 characters are Hayabusa, Geno, Dante, Crash and either Rex or Dixie Kong.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

I don't think so.

Melee survived being on Nintendo's second worst selling home console to become a phenomenon, Ultimate can last too as it's a game that doesn't need servers online at all times.
It may get a bit dicey when the Switch online servers go down and take 12 characters with them but that's easier than resurrecting a game that's entirely stored server-side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom