• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm going to guess that the next actual full Nintendo Direct(probably early September) will have 2 newcomers revealed. With CP7 revealed at the beginning with a release later in the month and CP8 at the end for December/January.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
E3 being canned and the presumptive character reveal that would've taken place there has afforded Nintendo some leeway with when it could then reveal the following character, but I would think that, as per the original plans, FP8 would've only been a month or two away from reveal at this point anyway.

It's possible, if everything has (mostly) stuck to schedule on Smash's end, that the reveal could indeed still happen close to when it was originally planned. It's possible we get both 7 and 8 revealed in the same presentation. But it's also possible with this wiggle room that they push the reveal late into the year. Maybe even until early 2021.

Everything seems quite up in the air right now, and that goes double for Nintendo's marketing.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Explanations for Reimu's joining of Smash:
  • Someone burned down her shrine.
  • She wasn't given a letter, but her travels lead her to Smash and now everyone's trying to beat her up for some reason.
  • Marisa steals her letter before she can even open it, but she ends up arriving anyway in hot pursuit of Marisa.
  • She attempts to take down Galeem and Dharkon.
I was thinking she just woke up one day and found the letter in her donation box, Wario trying to steal from said donation box being optional.
I would ask why there's a character called Clownpiece, but this is the same series that has a girl who's in a bucket for no apparent reason so I guess the answer is "because why not?".
Also the clown motif. She's also made of pure life energy and wears the American flag as a dress because **** the Moon People.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, assuming FP7 was planned to be revealed at E3, which I think is highly likely, and also assuming that Smash development is going reasonably well, which seems the case according to Sakurai's words, I could see a double reveal.
But only if we get a General Direct, and I'm not really sure we will get one this month. For September? Yeah, probably. What I'm expecting is a Partner Showcase this month or maybe a Direct Mini like the one we had at March.

In any case, them being able to reveal the two next characters doesn't necessarily mean they're gonna do it.

That sounds plausible. I am kinda agreeing with Zhuge too when he thought that Nintendo "should look to acquire or work with additional partner studios to create new first party content for Switch with long term content updates." because they rely very much on their first party games and years like this feel sparse.

The acquiring part I agree with - they only have Retro in the west IIRC (we talked about this recently didn't we?). And for working with partner studios, there's Mario + Rabbids as a well-recieved example. Can there be backlash against this? Yes, there can be. But it's worth exploring regardless. While I've complained lots re: Pokemon Unite (the way they announced it being one reason), I can definetely see the appeal a Pokemon MOBA has, and it looks decent so far (with obligatory "before release" disclaimer). At least it's experiments a bit*.

*(Albeit to people uninterested in the genre it'll come off as a carbon copy because the genre's been rather static and one of those genres noted for its popularity first and foremost.)
I agree. I think Nintendo should acquire more studios or at least, try to work with partners. It's not like they aren't familiar with that, as you mentioned, Mario + Rabbids is a thing, and it isn't the only example.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I would ask why there's a character called Clownpiece, but this is the same series that has a girl who's in a bucket for no apparent reason so I guess the answer is "because why not?".
Oh, but this one's special: a fairy from Hell, dressed as the American flag, who invades the moon and after her defeat moves into Reimu's basement. And she happens to be one of if not the hardest bossfights in the series.

1596745155641.png

edit: also, Kisume is a qtpie and SA stage 1 theme is a banger

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
We must be feeling really optimistic today, seeing all these expectations for two character reveals at once. We don't even know when, or even if, to expect a Direct, and Pikmin 3's announcement with no fanfare points to one being a while from now at least.

After the cluster**** this year has been for Nintendo's marketing, I'm gonna keep my expectations tempered – for Smash news and otherwise.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Yeah, I'm honestly not sold on us getting two characters at once right now. Nothing's impossible, but...Well, there isn't really anything pointing towards Nintendo having some kind of big news blowout coming: If anything, I think Pikmin 3 Deluxe getting announced the way it did shows that the Twitter shadow drops and mini Directs are continuing.

I just don't see this big Nintendo news dump people want happening anytime soon. :drshrug:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that we'll get a double reveal, as that would imply that they would have revealed 3 DLC characters at E3 had it happened, and that is just nonsensical.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Based on last year, Banjo was in September and Terry was in November. The amiibo drop around the late September-early October range, so I could see CP8 being dropped in December.
As for the double reveal, I'm not expecting CP8 to be anything more than a fun little no-gameplay reveal, a la Terry.
I don't think that we'll get a double reveal, as that would imply that they would have revealed 3 DLC characters at E3 had it happened, and that is just nonsensical.
The thing is that E3 would have passed by the point we get an actual direct, so we could get the next character as well to make up for the lack of E3 double reveal (Presumably with Min Min). And again, it's unlikely we'll get anything more than a little animation shoutout like Terry.

On that note, what characters could work with a Terry-esque animation trailer?

Last edited:

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
Thinking we will get CP7 released Sept/Oct and 8 in Jan. Doubt we will get 2 more releases this year.
I knew letting Clownpiece live in the basement was a bad idea, now Reimu's homeless and has to beat up plumbers.
Too bad Coin Battle isn't a thing in Ult. Would have solved a lot of her problems. :4pacman:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
We must be feeling really optimistic today, seeing all these expectations for two character reveals at once. We don't even know when, or even if, to expect a Direct, and Pikmin 3's announcement with no fanfare points to one being a while from now at least.

After the cluster**** this year has been for Nintendo's marketing, I'm gonna keep my expectations tempered – for Smash news and otherwise.
Well, what the Pikmin, Paper Mario, and Pokemon reveals show is that now everything is basically on its own, operating individually, and not tied to a larger, company-wide event. To that end, Smash reveals also wouldn't need to be contingent on either a Direct to happen or Nintendo having their whole plan together. It's just about Smash itself being mostly on-track.

If we assume that FP7 was to be revealed in June and released possibly next month, and the following character was to be revealed at the typical September Direct and revealed in the months to follow, even if you get rid of all those other plans, the Smash release schedule might still be intact, as well as the ability to have dual reveals, thanks to FP7's delay. Because they're going to have to show that character either way.

Yes, normally a dual reveal wouldn't just happen apropos of nothing. It would take an E3 or a Smash Direct. Or at least a normal Direct. But normally we actually get E3s and Directs. Normally Sakurai doesn't film things from his house. Normally FP8 might be a month or two until reveal anyway.

All we really need for a dual reveal is for the Smash schedule to maintain course. Not Nintendo's in general. Because it's not like there's any guarantee they'll have a Direct ready by FP8's release, and like you've demonstrated, everything is handled on a per-case basis now.

Obviously that doesn't mean it will happen, it just means the timing might line up given how plans have already changed. Like I said, it's also a possibility we don't even see FP8 in 2020 at all. For all we know they could wait to reveal FP8 until just prior to release, as is now the probable plan for FP7. Or maybe Smash has actually been impacted by delays.

Shroob

Sup?
The only reason I'm confident of a release next month is because the Amiibo releases, since we've never had an amiibo release/restock that didn't happen in the same month as a character drop.

But this is also 2020 so expect the unexpected.

MooMew64

The only reason I'm confident of a release next month is because the Amiibo releases, since we've never had an amiibo release/restock that didn't happen in the same month as a character drop.

But this is also 2020 so expect the unexpected.
TBH even without the amiibo stuff, September just fits what our usual schedule is, so assuming things haven't been impacted since Sakurai's Min Min presentation, September seems very likely.

But yeah, it's 2020. Everything is fluid and it's not wise to assume anything is a 100% on course right now: It's wise to keep in mind delays are very possible with everything.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well this is interesting:
Not only that, the Legend who's body will forever be ready has marked another landmark achievement.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nintendo profits up? Well what are people gonna do during quarantine? play games :p
jk. I can see how they've done good, but they still gotta bring their game if they want it to continue.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In that case, I'm a little less worried about 2020 being a weaker year.

That being said, I hope this means the future will pick up a little.
Just because a year is strong for the company doesn’t mean it’s so for the fans.

In fact, historically, the more successful the big three get, the more likely it results in them getting arrogant or coasting, with the fans ultimately being those who suffer for it.

I mean the Switch’s best year by far, 2017, was what it was in part because Nintendo was desperate.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Good news to hear Nintendo's doing well. I do hope that leads to an investment within the development infrastructure so that maybe we'll see some mid-level first party franchises come back fresh within the next couple of years.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Not only that, the Legend who's body will forever be ready has marked another landmark achievement.

Well, there’s no way they’re beating the Big W.

...right??

SKX31

Smash Master
On that note, what characters could work with a Terry-esque animation trailer?
Most fan-favorite and big ticket characters could work as Terry-esque. Yes, even Jonesy - counting him as big ticket for clarity's sake - because that hypotheoretical trailer would have mainstream sources reporting on the announcement (Jonesy is one of those potential firestorm characters, so keeping that in mind). Likewise, mainstream sources would report on Chief and Kratos. (One could also make the argument for Lara, Gordon and Crash being extensively covered.) While Terry doesn't exactly fit the mold in the West, his series (okay KOF mostly, but still) is classic fan-favorite in Japan, LatAm and China.

The other main "type" of characters who could work with a Terry-esque trailer are the Sakurai favorites (Terry himself mainly fits in this category). That category is however really difficult to define, especially since Sakurai plays a lot of video games.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Most fan-favorite and big ticket characters could work as Terry-esque. Yes, even Jonesy - counting him as big ticket for clarity's sake - because that hypotheoretical trailer would have mainstream sources reporting on the announcement (Jonesy is one of those potential firestorm characters, so keeping that in mind). Likewise, mainstream sources would report on Chief and Kratos. (One could also make the argument for Lara, Gordon and Crash being extensively covered.) While Terry doesn't exactly fit the mold in the West, his series (okay KOF mostly, but still) is classic fan-favorite in Japan, LatAm and China.

The other main "type" of characters who could work with a Terry-esque trailer are the Sakurai favorites (Terry himself mainly fits in this category). That category is however really difficult to define, especially since Sakurai plays a lot of video games.
Mainly I was thinking characters that would have a certain animation theme without gameplay, like Neo Geo sprites for Terry's trailer, and possibly Joker's animated reveal as well. I was thinking Reimu with a Bad Apple-type shadow art trailer, and I'm sure there could be something else as well.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Mainly I was thinking characters that would have a certain animation theme without gameplay, like Neo Geo sprites for Terry's trailer, and possibly Joker's animated reveal as well. I was thinking Reimu with a Bad Apple-type shadow art trailer, and I'm sure there could be something else as well.
I don't believe they could do Bad Apple because that video is not made by Team Shanghai Alice as far as I'm aware. But if they could that would be the best possible outcome and would make me very happy.

I think maybe Phoenix Wright could work well for an art style thing. Have it be a trial for Smash bros characters and instead of receiving an Updated Autopsy report he get's a smash letter or something.

Sol could bring a trailer done with Guilty Gears engine and artstyle.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Oh, completely missed that. My apologies.

Anyhow, there's lots of potential call-backs to different styles with those mentioned, albeit not as strongly as say Reimu. One could have a cinematic cutscene made for Chief for example.

But as for most stylistic, Capcom has loads of options. Aside from the aformentioned Phoenix, Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe have their own respective artstyles right off the bat. Dante's trailer could be built around one of his intro cutscenes (or something else). Monster Hunter can work in numerous callbacks for what the Hunter has experienced (incl. Rathalos). Arthur would probably be the closest to Terry's Neo-Geo sprites (since he's associated with the 8/16-bit era himself).

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Nintendo is like Luigi.

In that they can succeed despite doing nothing.
They're like the Disney of video games in that their IPs have become so culturally beloved and ingrained in our collective consciousness that they can pretty much get away with anything (or doing nothing) and still make a profit.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't believe they could do Bad Apple because that video is not made by Team Shanghai Alice as far as I'm aware. But if they could that would be the best possible outcome and would make me very happy.

I think maybe Phoenix Wright could work well for an art style thing. Have it be a trial for Smash bros characters and instead of receiving an Updated Autopsy report he get's a smash letter or something.

Sol could bring a trailer done with Guilty Gears engine and artstyle.
The fanvid is interesting because Touhou's a lot closer to it's fanworks than about 90% of other media, so even if it's fairly unlikely, it's at least feasible that ZUN, Sakurai, or Nintendo would want to throw that nod to the fans.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, what the Pikmin, Paper Mario, and Pokemon reveals show is that now everything is basically on its own, operating individually, and not tied to a larger, company-wide event. To that end, Smash reveals also wouldn't need to be contingent on either a Direct to happen or Nintendo having their whole plan together. It's just about Smash itself being mostly on-track.

If we assume that FP7 was to be revealed in June and released possibly next month, and the following character was to be revealed at the typical September Direct and revealed in the months to follow, even if you get rid of all those other plans, the Smash release schedule might still be intact, as well as the ability to have dual reveals, thanks to FP7's delay. Because they're going to have to show that character either way.

Yes, normally a dual reveal wouldn't just happen apropos of nothing. It would take an E3 or a Smash Direct. Or at least a normal Direct. But normally we actually get E3s and Directs. Normally Sakurai doesn't film things from his house. Normally FP8 might be a month or two until reveal anyway.

All we really need for a dual reveal is for the Smash schedule to maintain course. Not Nintendo's in general. Because it's not like there's any guarantee they'll have a Direct ready by FP8's release, and like you've demonstrated, everything is handled on a per-case basis now.

Obviously that doesn't mean it will happen, it just means the timing might line up given how plans have already changed. Like I said, it's also a possibility we don't even see FP8 in 2020 at all. For all we know they could wait to reveal FP8 until just prior to release, as is now the probable plan for FP7. Or maybe Smash has actually been impacted by delays.
If marketing were on schedule, we'd have seen FP7 announced alongside Min Min. It's evident at this point that Nintendo's marketing has either been dealt a massive blow by the pandemic, or that they've deliberately made the decision to only announce things at the last possible minute.

Could they buck that trend with Smash? Sure. But to expect that, when everything else this year has pointed in the other direction? That's unrealistic in my opinion.

I'd expect for characters to be announced the month of their release, for the time being.

...right??
I think they might, if they stay strong after PS5 and XBSX release, nothing can stop them. The gaming audience has really grown in the years since the Wii, I mean, the PS4 has outsold the Wii while not being nearly as casual-friendly, and would possibly dethrone the PS2 if given a few more years. The Switch, for now, is selling at a much higher rate than the PS4 at the same moment in its lifespan, so if it keeps going, it stands to reason it'll outsell at least the Wii.

To me, the two big questions are: how long will Nintendo keep the Switch alive? And will it outsell the Game Boy?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Federation Force was made by Next Level Games too, and they're a talented bunch. It's just a shame it came at a time where anything other than an announcement of Prime 4 was gonna cause drama. Poor thing never stood a chance in the climate that the Metroid fandom was in at the time. :drsad:
Don't forget that around the same time as it came out, Nintendo sent its legal ninjas after Another Metroid 2 Remake. Federation Force was really just a series of unfortunate circumstances.

MooMew64

...right??
Depends on momentum. Successes such as Mario Kart 8, Pokemon SwSh, and now Animal Crossing: New Horizons only further the console's already impressive broad appeal; if they keep it up with titles even half as impactful as these, it is most certainly possible. The Switch has been a real juggernaut so far.

As for competition, Nintendo has two things Microsoft and Sony lack: Increasingly broad appeal in family demographics and an more attractive price point. Microsoft and Sony are going for the super hardcore crowd: Heck, with what Microsoft and Sony are doing, it seems like they wanna take the fight to PCs and play at their own game with a war of specs. Nintendo, however, will continue to situate themselves as a modestly priced alternative console with iconic brands that appeal to just about everyone.

So yeah, I think overtaking the Wii in the coming years is quite possible with the evergreen nature of their already impressive library, as well as more potentially stellar titles on the way, such as Prime 4 and BotW2.

Or I'm spouting nonsense and it'll taper off because there's always the chance they could do something dumb. Who knows with Nintendo. :p

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Nintendo's only real foe at this point is themselves. Their huge success with the NES happened while maintaining strict control over third parties and retailers, which came back to bite them with the Genesis. The fallout with Sony during the success of SNES created the Playstation. And the massive success of the Wii led to a massive misread of the blue ocean strategy with the Wii-U.

If nothing else, they're a company that knows better than anyone not to take huge success for granted or assume that such big profit is everlasting.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Not a leak or anything like that, but Zhuge thinks we will get more news from Nintendo during August. If that means first party or not, I'm not really sure. In the previous tweet he talks about first party titles so the context is there, but in the last tweet he doesn't specify.
if there's not a nintendo direct this month then i will personally cancel this man

Kirby Gun.jpg

times ticking zhuge

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
There is no direct because it's just a couple new titles and remakes that are shadowdropped separately. However, there is a direct next month... But it's all for 2021 stuff.
then zhuge is ded and i will keel him

finally

a world without leakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom