• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's kinda funny how fast the thread changes from conservative, slightly pessimistic predictions to reaching for the stars. Just yesterday the consensus was that weren't going to see any directs until October or November, now we're talking about a direct next week or so with two character announcements.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It's kinda funny how fast the thread changes from conservative, slightly pessimistic predictions to reaching for the stars. Just yesterday the consensus was that weren't going to see any directs until October or November, now we're talking about a direct next week or so with two character announcements.
Honestly given how the year's been its hard to say if a Direct in September is a wildly optimistic hope based on unproven assumptions or largely pessimistic belief rooted in cynicism about getting nothing in August.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
No stances that isn't one of the extremes allowed.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm in team direct tomorrow. I can never lose because I can keep delaying my prediction for tomorrow everyday if it doesn't happen until it does. Theoretically speaking there is no way this team won't win. :bowsette:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm in team direct tomorrow. I can never lose because I can keep delaying my prediction for tomorrow everyday if it doesn't happen until it does. Theoretically speaking there is no way this team won't win. :bowsette:
I'm in team no direct until next year. If I'm right, I win because I was right. If I'm wrong, I win because there's a Nintendo Direct, and that's awesome. So basically, :lucina: "I cannot lose".

I.D.

Smash Lord
Hey so the Nintendo summer magazine just came out and there's some interesting things in there like Banjo and Terry being excluded from the Smash Ultimate page for whatever reason but there's a couple of pages in particular that caught my attention:

Xenoads.jpg
Now I'm not saying this means anything for Smash, far from it, however I hope this buries for good one of the most consistent arguments I've heard in this thread: "Nintendo doesn't care about Xenoblade 2 anymore, it's past its relevance, etc".

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
"Insiders" need to STFU already. They were wrong about July 20th and they can't admit they were wrong.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
They're like the Disney of video games in that their IPs have become so culturally beloved and ingrained in our collective consciousness that they can pretty much get away with anything (or doing nothing) and still make a profit.
What you talking about? Nintendo is the Disney of video games and Mario is the Mickey Mouse of it as well.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So I'm in the mood to talk about the missing Mii costumes. Particularly Gilgamesh, Geno, Lloyd, Monster Hunter and Chocobo. There might be a few other notable ones I'm not thinking of but they are flying over my head.

I'm just wondering when do you all think these costumes will return? Or be upgraded? Here are my thoughts:

Lloyd: I think he is Bamco's frontrunner and while he could easily come back as a Mii costume I think there is a good chance of him being a playable character. If this happens, I expect Gilgamesh to return. Not a guarantee though because of how random Mii costumes have been sorted throughout the waves.

Geno: 50/50 on him being a deluxe Mii costume or becoming playable.

Monster Hunter: I'm pretty sure someone at the MH team or Capcom said that they prefer to have the monsters crossover rather than the hunters. It's possible that Monster Hunter could become playable but considering that we already have Rathalos and a couple MH music tracks, I think this Mii costume will return with a Capcom character. And if no Capcom character happens then the costume will just come back with a random costume wave.

Chocobo: There are a lot of Square Enix characters in contention and Chocobo would probably return when Square gets another character. If not, then this will probably return somewhere down the line.

I do hope all of these come back in some form (whether they port the costume, make it deluxe, or make the character playable). It would leave no stone unturned and it would introduce a few more franchises as well as giving Final Fantasy a tiny bit more content because it needs any kind of additional content it can get.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
If marketing were on schedule, we'd have seen FP7 announced alongside Min Min. It's evident at this point that Nintendo's marketing has either been dealt a massive blow by the pandemic, or that they've deliberately made the decision to only announce things at the last possible minute.

Could they buck that trend with Smash? Sure. But to expect that, when everything else this year has pointed in the other direction? That's unrealistic in my opinion.

I'd expect for characters to be announced the month of their release, for the time being.
Marketing for Smash is on schedule. In March they said we'd get the ARMS character revealed and released in June. June came and we got the character presentation and the later release. The reason FP7 was held off was likely because Nintendo was at one point aiming to salvage some of the E3 presentation. They did have a Direct planned, but it got delayed. One of the credible voices said as much, I believe it was John Harker.

Perhaps it's now been cancelled, I'm not sure. If it hasn't, I would expect Smash there. Perhaps just FP7 - perhaps now 7 and 8 since we're getting into the time period when 8 likely would've been revealed anyway. Even if it has, though, I don't think Smash has been as impeded as titles not yet released.

They were able to remotely cull together a Smash presentation during when quarantine was at its worst. A big part of the reason most things are being revealed so close to their release is because how variable and shifting the schedule has been internally for Nintendo. Another is because it might be harder to commit to development deadlines. If that's impacted Smash development, of course that would change the schedule, but if not, DLC probably isn't nearly as up in the air as full retail titles, and therefore has fewer obstacles regarding the marketing around it.

Of course, all I'm arguing is that it's possible 7 and 8 get shown together. It certainly wouldn't be surprising if they aren't.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'm not. He said they were only like the Disney of video gaming and was correcting him on that they in fact are.
Geez, someone's quite nitpicky about my word choices. Those literally mean the exact same thing, saying that Nintendo is like the Disney of video gaming and saying that Nintendo is the Disney of video gaming, I'm really not seeing the vast difference in meanings there.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
The duality of man, in a single post.
Would you care for the context or the likes?

Smash marketing is fine, E3 marketing is a mess. What happens to FP7 depends on what they do with the remnants of the E3 presentation, but FP8, the pack we're debating the release of, is not beholden to a presentation it wasn't part of.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Geez, someone's quite nitpicky about my word choices. Those literally mean the exact same thing, saying that Nintendo is like the Disney of video gaming and saying that Nintendo is the Disney of video gaming, I'm really not seeing the vast difference in meanings there.
Fair enough sorry for seemingly coming across that way.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Schrodinger's Release schedule: Things are both on time and in total disarray until we observe Nintendo putting out a statement.
But then Nintendo comes out and says nothing is delayed, and then that things are delayed, thus making the paradox even larger.

Can't make this **** up.

Would you care for the context or the likes?

Smash marketing is fine, E3 marketing is a mess. What happens to FP7 depends on what they do with the remnants of the E3 presentation, but FP8, the pack we're debating the release of, is not beholden to a presentation it wasn't part of.
If FP7 was to be announced in June at E3, nothing stopped Nintendo from announcing them anyways in another medium, just like they did Min Min. Therefore there must be another reason for the marketing delay, which could also be affecting FP8 and onwards.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
*pushes up glasses*
Well actually the difference between the two is that the first phrase is a simile, and that the other is a metaphor.

I don't think anything actually changes depending on which one you use.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I made a potential Smash Ultimate DLC boss roster. What do you guys think of the lineup?

View attachment 281545
ayyy i can't replicate the template but lemme have a crack at this:

Light Realm bosses: Gruntilda, Black Knight (second dual Boss & AT after Rathalos), Porky
Dark Realm bosses: Sephiroth, Tabuu, Telethia the Endbringer

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I made a potential Smash Ultimate DLC boss roster. What do you guys think of the lineup?

View attachment 281545
This would be pretty cool. That being said, I have a couple reservations:
  • I feel as though Mother Brain would work better than Nightmare, due to her status as recurring and oft-referenced main villain
  • I'd prefer a different series over another Zelda boss, especially considering we already have a dragon boss in Rathalos.
  • I'd prefer a Sonic boss over a Bayo one if we're sticking to Sega, but that's probably familiarity bias on my part

dream1ng

Smash Lord
If FP7 was to be announced in June at E3, nothing stopped Nintendo from announcing them anyways in another medium, just like they did Min Min. Therefore there must be another reason for the marketing delay, which could also be affecting FP8 and onwards.
Yes, it could be that they intend to still have a Direct with a lot of the E3 stuff, and they're saving the reveal.

I never said Smash marketing wasn't impacted at all, I said it was fine. I don't think DLC or Smash marketing is the problem. I think they probably could've revealed FP7 at any point in the interceding months, including during Min Min's presentation, but it's stayed tied to the E3 presentation. So in the fact that it's seemingly chained to something that is undergoing marketing problems, yes, I suppose indirectly FP7 is experiencing marketing problems.

But I don't think that's a problem endemic of Smash, I think that's a problem endemic of a presentation with multiple unreleased games. If Smash were without that tether, as FP8 could be, I think the example has already been set from the previous release that it can remain on schedule.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Light Realm bosses: Gruntilda, Black Knight (second dual Boss & AT after Rathalos), Porky
In that case:

Light Realm: Yellow Devil, Porky, Rayquaza
Dark Realm: Metal Face, Dark Emperor, Grima

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yes, it could be that they intend to still have a Direct with a lot of the E3 stuff, and they're saving the reveal.

I never said Smash marketing wasn't impacted at all, I said it was fine. I don't think Smash or Smash marketing is the problem. I think they probably could've revealed FP7 at any point in the interceding months, including during Min Min's presentation, but it's stayed tied to the E3 presentation. So in the fact that it's seemingly chained to something that is undergoing marketing problems, yes, I suppose indirectly FP7 is experiencing marketing problems.

But I don't think that's a problem endemic of Smash, I think that's a problem endemic of a presentation with multiple unreleased games. If Smash were without that tether, as FP8 could be, I think the example has already been set from the previous release that it can remain on schedule.
First off, if Nintendo intends to reveal their entire E3 altogether, why haven't they done so already?

Second, why would they keep it all together? It's clear that plans have changed, it's been 2 months since E3 would've been, so they've lost valuable time for marketing. They don't really gain anything by keeping their E3 slate to be announced together, the eyes that would have been on it because of E3 are no longer there and there's no need to "win" anymore or to upstage the competition.

Third, how do you explain The Origami King and Pikmin 3? Wouldn't those have been E3 reveals?

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master

Let me have a crack at this.

Light Realm Bosses: Gruntilda, Porky Minch, Metal Gear RAY
Dark Realm Bosses: Metroid Prime (unlocks Dark Samus), Metal Overload, Artifice Ophion

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Random question: has Sakurai ever stated why Lucas was added as DLC in Smash 4? I feel like it was a bit of a random pick, I don't see many people upset if he were to be cut (obviously I was super happy he wasn't cut!)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Random question: has Sakurai ever stated why Lucas was added as DLC in Smash 4? I feel like it was a bit of a random pick, I don't see many people upset if he were to be cut (obviously I was super happy he wasn't cut!)
As far as I can gather, he just ended up the most popular cut veteran from Brawl, for various reasons. i don't know the full story, but I think Wolf had competition from Krystal, while Snake was simply considered unobtainable.

osby

Smash Obsessed
He was the most popular Brawl veteran, at least among the ones they could add back then.

If I have to hazard a guess, I'd say Subspace Emissary helped his popularity immensely among people who don't know about Mother.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Hey so the Nintendo summer magazine just came out and there's some interesting things in there like Banjo and Terry being excluded from the Smash Ultimate page for whatever reason but there's a couple of pages in particular that caught my attention:

Now I'm not saying this means anything for Smash, far from it, however I hope this buries for good one of the most consistent arguments I've heard in this thread: "Nintendo doesn't care about Xenoblade 2 anymore, it's past its relevance, etc".
As for Banjo/Terry, I'm guessing space is limited and they decided to go with the characters that they think would appeal the most to the people who usually picks and reads this magazine in Japan.

About Xenoblade 2, it's not that surprising, for an almost a 3 year old singleplayer game that isn't super mainstream it receives good attention.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom