• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
In another round of WCF woefully misinterprets current discourse, three out of the five Fighter Pass 1 characters were from JRPGs. That’s not ignorance, that’s the stats. While they’re obviously unique in the grand scale of things and all bring unique mechanics to the table and sepereately all deserved their inclusion, including Byleth, I don’t think it‘s foul to speak out when you want more visually distinct characters, or want other types of genres represented.
JRPG fans got their share, and I think it’s fair to not want more of that if you’re not a fan of it, regardless of the differences within the category.
But no one, as far as I know, was talking about the variety of genres in Pass 2. I mean, it's completely fair to want different genres and a bit more of variety in that sense, that's cool, I myself would like to see a proper FPS character or a survival horror rep, for example.
But this wasn't the point of the previous argument. I mean the Fighter Pass 1 thing. It started because of Tales and then went about anime characters.

Also, no offense, but I'll still be amazed about how people isn't able to distinct between some characters. Maybe I'm blind, but Joker, Hero and Byleth are abysmally different between each other. Unless you're talking about getting characters that aren't human, then that's another thing.

I really don't understand people's discontent with JRPGs other than a general bias against anime. Which is ironic considering the large amount of inspiration Nintendo series (Legend of Zelda, Pokémon, Xenoblade, etc.) have taken from anime, and the large demand those series see compared to the general stigma against other "anime swordfighters."
It's just this. I really do believe it's mostly because of people not being familiar or a fan of anime, JRPGs or whatever.
Example? You already named it. Zelda or Pokémon aren't free of taking inspirations from anime, I mean, Pokémon is really really anime when you think about it. Then, literally a lot of people talks about how cool would be if Nintendo decided to make a Zelda anime series.

Then, why people doesn't 'attack' Zelda and Pokémon, when they're anime as well? Easy, because these people are familiar with both names, probably being fans of both IPs, which are incredibly popular and two of the most well known names out there. Two franchises that are some of the biggest among Nintendo properties. Nintendo is synonymous of Pokémon and Zelda, besides Mario. That's why, if you ask me.

Sol's indeed a ****ing fantastic choice but a darkhorse is a character who's unexpected or surprising, Sol gets frequent discussion on this thread to the point all the regulars here who never touched an ArcSys game at least know who Sol is, I personally don't think darkhorse would be the right term for him anymore
I'd say Sol's still a darkhorse character in the grand scheme of things.

I mean, he definitely has seen a boost in popularity within Smash speculation (at least here) and it isn't that strange to see his name being mentioned on random Twitter discussions about Smash, which still surprises me sometimes. Probably thanks to the new game and all the talk that it has received. And I'm happy of that by the way.
But I don't know, among all of these people who knows about Sol, I don't think many of them really believes Sol could happen. Despite supporting him and thinking he could be in, I'd be really, really surprised to see him get in.

Also, if Sol ends being announced I'm 100% sure that he would have more hostile reactions from the fans than Hero or Terry. Most of the folks wouldn't see him coming.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The Genre talk got me thinking about the genre distribution of my most wanters. Going off the top ten, there's

• 4 platformers (Bandana Dee, Megaman X, Marx, Kamek)
  • 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Dungeon Crawler (Grovyle)
  • 1 Puzzle game (Maxwell)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
  • 1 Visual Novel (Phoenix Wright)
I wasn't expecting that big of a platformer bias. Granted, only one of those come from a "standard" platformer, but still.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It should also be pointed out that just because a few characters are from JRPGS, it doesn't mean that fans who want Lloyd Irving shouldn't be able to get that character because three other characters are from the same/similar genre (even though they're all ridiculously different from one another). I mean, Persona 5 is so drastically different from Dragon Quest, which is really not even the same genre that Fire Emblem is, but even moreso that Tales plays entirely differently as a JRPG.

By the way, I recently started over with Bravely Default, and it's a really good game. If any of you get the chance I would definitely recommend playing it.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
But no one, as far as I know, was talking about the variety of genres in Pass 2.
I mean, it's completely fair to want different genres and a bit more of variety in that sense, that's cool, I myself would like to see a proper FPS character or a survival horror rep, for example.
But this wasn't the point of the previous argument. I mean the Fighter Pass 1 thing. It started because of Tales and then went about anime characters.
I didn’t know we were talking about Tales really, hence the....
In another round of WCF woefully misinterprets current discourse.
I read half a post before jumping in sooo yeah I don’t know who was arguing what, including myself really. To jump into this sequel discussion about Pokémon and Zelda though, I think non-humanity plays a role in a Smash context because the moveset potential is more “visible”.
Lastly, not aimed at you or anyone specifically but lies at the periphery of the argument, is that ignorance doesn’t have to be automatically bad. People cannot possibly know about everything and sometimes ignorance is towards something you didn’t know you wanted yet. I’m very vague on Tales series, so my gut reaction can sometimes be “hah, anime swordfighter with spiky hair. sacrilege!“ (my gut is a prick in that regard) while his core fighting style is probably deeper than that. (Though, to be the negative nancy again, I wonder how dual wielding would work in a 2D plane like Smash. I know Min Min does it but that’s moreso controls of ARMS rather than something inherent to dual wielding I feel.)

So yeah, question to all: What does Tales play like? What meters should I expect? Any animations you think will make it in? Gimmicks?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The Genre talk got me thinking about the genre distribution of my most wanters. Going off the top ten, there's

• 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
I wasn't expecting that big of a platformer bias. Granted, only one of those come from a "standard" platformer, but still.
Hmm, interesting idea. Let's see what I've got:
  • 3 metroidvanias (Miriam, The Knight, Alucard)
  • 2 platformers (Bandana Dee, Klonoa)
  • 2 fighting games (Sol Badguy, Haohmaru)
  • 1 bullet hell (Reimu)
  • 1 action game (Dante)
  • 1 RPG (Isaac)
Yeah, I like metroidvanias. It should also be noted that metroidvania is a subgenre of platformers, meaning half of my list is from platformers. Huh.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think people are misunderstanding why JRPG got some hates in the Smash fandom. The problem isn't the genre by itself, but the fact that most of those characters are anime human swordfighter (the Fire emblem characters, Hero, Cloud, Shulk). Other JRPG with more unique characters aren't getting as much hate becasue they don't fit that: I never heard anyone hating on Ness (aside from pk fire stuff but that's not really the point), Pokémon are rarely getting hate aside maybe from Incineroar (but that's more due to the Grinch leak and people wanted Decidueye) because Pokémon are so different from one another. Joker didn't really have any hate aside from the people that said that he's not "Nintendo" enough.

Right now the roster have 7 JRPG franchises (Pokémon, Earthbound, Fire emblem, Xenoblade, Final fantasy, Dragon quest, Persona). We actually have more franchises from the platformer genres with 9 franchises (Mario, Yoshi, Donkey kong, Kirby, Ice climber, Kid icarus, Sonic, Mega man, Banjo-Kazooie) (and if I wanted to be genrous I could count Metroid and Castlevania but for me they're more 2d adventure game than real platformer). Why is nobody complaining about platformer characters? Because they're so different one from another. Most people in the fanbase like cartoony characters which platformer fits perfectly (it's no wonder why Crash is one of the most requested fighters right now).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmm, interesting idea. Let's see what I've got:
  • 3 metroidvanias (Miriam, The Knight, Alucard)
  • 2 platformers (Bandana Dee, Klonoa)
  • 2 fighting games (Sol Badguy, Haohmaru)
  • 1 bullet hell (Reimu)
  • 1 action game (Dante)
  • 1 RPG (Isaac)
Yeah, I like metroidvanias. It should also be noted that metroidvania is a subgenre of platformers, meaning half of my list is from platformers. Huh.
- 4 RPG peeps (Elma, Mecha-Fiora, KOS-MOS, Neku)
- 3 Platformers (Bandana Dee, Crash, Shantae)
- 1 Racing (Black Shadow)
- 1 Third Person Shooter (Octoling)
- 1 Visual Novel (Phoenix Wright)

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I think people are misunderstanding why JRPG got some hates in the Smash fandom. The problem isn't the genre by itself, but the fact that most of those characters are anime human swordfighter (the Fire emblem characters, Hero, Cloud, Shulk). Other JRPG with more unique characters aren't getting as much hate becasue they don't fit that: I never heard anyone hating on Ness (aside from pk fire stuff but that's not really the point), Pokémon are rarely getting hate aside maybe from Incineroar (but that's more due to the Grinch leak and people wanted Decidueye) because Pokémon are so different from one another. Joker didn't really have any hate aside from the people that said that he's not "Nintendo" enough.

Right now the roster have 7 JRPG franchises (Pokémon, Earthbound, Fire emblem, Xenoblade, Final fantasy, Dragon quest, Persona). We actually have more franchises from the platformer genres with 9 franchises (Mario, Yoshi, Donkey kong, Kirby, Ice climber, Kid icarus, Sonic, Mega man, Banjo-Kazooie) (and if I wanted to be genrous I could count Metroid and Castlevania but for me they're more 2d adventure game than real platformer). Why is nobody complaining about platformer characters? Because they're so different one from another. Most people in the fanbase like cartoony characters which platformer fits perfectly (it's no wonder why Crash is one of the most requested fighters right now).
Saying that none of the sword fighters are different from one another is not a good argument IMO. At the end of the day, this really comes down to the Smash fanbase's weird hatred for anything with an anime aesthetic, which is incredibly ironic when one considers most of the roster is influenced by anime aesthetics to varying degrees and is a Japanese product.

In my opinion, none of the characters you listed look like each other at all. Joker is not Byleth, Byleth is not Hero, and Hero is not Shulk. They all have their different designs and unique gameplay design choices behind them: The only thing they share is an aesthetic, which the cartoony platform mascots share too. Many of them have unique playstyles as well, so outside the characters being anime, I fail to see how they all are the same. This "anime swordsmen" argument is, in my opinion, as disingenuous as saying all the platformer characters are "cereal box mascots". Both need to be dropped, as they are used for pointless debates that have no other purpose other than to fuel the strange sense of tribalism this fanbase loves to perpetuate. It's just more "Our fanbase VS. theirs" nonsense.

Last edited:
So yeah, question to all: What does Tales play like? What meters should I expect? Any animations you think will make it in? Gimmicks?
It plays quite similarly to fighting games, but with RPG numbers and mana consumption. Its controls are pretty similar to Smash's, actually. There's a normal attack button that has multi-hit combos that depend on what direction you're pressing and a special button. You can map specials to different directions, and there are usually a lot of options to choose from. Normal attacks combo into specials and sometimes with the right abilities you can combo specials into each other. Think of it like Ken and Ryu's attacks cancelling into each other. There's also a block button and dashes. The action stuff is mixed with some menus, items, etc. Mana works similarly to Hero's in Smash. Your specials use up mana, but you slowly gain it back by attacking.

If Smash got a Tales character, we could see a limit break system where a character has some of their normal restrictions loosened. Moves might be able to cancel into things they normally can't. That said, some of the extra mechanics work differently in different Tales games, so it would depend on who got chosen. If we got Luke for some reason (Tales of the Abyss) he'd probably leave rune circles where his specials land and be able to do a powered up version of them if he does another special on the same spot.

My bet is that a Tales character would be something like a cross of Shiek, Ryu/ken/Terry, and Chrom. Low damaging but long combos that utilize lag cancelling, but with weapons.

Here's a trailer edit someone made for Vesperia showing off their combos.
They're really stupid good at the game. Most people aren't pulling all this off.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
7 Platformers: Hayabusa, Bill Rizer/Lance Bean, Arthur, Nathan Spencer, Bub/Bob, Shantae, SV-001 Metal Slug
3 Brawlers: Kunio/Riki, Rash/Zitz, Kazuma Kiryu

SKX31

Smash Master

• 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
Okay, so, Top 10 most wanted by genre:

• 2 FPS* (Master Chief, Tracer)
  • 1 JRPG (KOS-MOS)
  • 1 MOBA* (LoL)
  • 2 Hack N' Slash (Dante, Kratos)
  • 1 Fighting (Scorpion)
  • 1 Bullet Hell (Reimu)
  • 1 Exergame (Ring Fit)
  • 1 Simulation (Style Savvy)
Incredibly spread out, in other words.

*(Gordon Freeman's a contender for Top 10 for me, and Dota 2's up there too - I have real trouble seeing it getting in over Gordon in almost any scenario though.)

cashregister9

Smash Hero

• 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
3 ARPGs (Sora, 2B, Euden)
2 JRPGs (Estelle, Sakura)
1 Platformer (Crash)
1 Visual Novel (Saber)
1 Brawler (Kiryu)
1 Shoot Em Up (Reimu)
1 FPS (Tracer)

You could count Sakura as an ARPG character as Sakura Amamiya is from an ARPG but Sakura Shinguji is from a JRPG

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
2 RPG (Isaac, 2B)
2 FPS (Doom Slayer, Master Chief)
1 Action (Travis)
1 Adventure (Skull Kid)
1 Arcade (Bomberman)
1 Platformer (Goemon)
1 Shooter (Krystal)
1 Transcended the concept of genre (Waluigi)

Pretty diverse, but it took long enough just to come up with ten characters. Maybe half the list I actively care about and the other half...

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
As you all know, I believe Reimu's somewhere between a sleeper and a dark horse. On one hand, Touhou's got a lot of achievements, but on the other, it's still an indie game from a niche genre that doesn't have much overlap in the Western Smash fandom. Still, we got guys like Joker and Terry, and Nintendo's been involved with Touhou before. Plus, ZUN is really easy to work with. Obviously Reimu as a fighter would be the ideal outcome, but I'd be very surprised if we don't have a Touhou anything at the end of the day.
I can agree Touhou is in a bit of a unique position when it comes to Smash speculation. It has its own merits and regardless what people say, it earned its spot in Video game history. Shmups as a genre has been around for a long time yet since most of the "characters" are ships, it's hard to justify a playable slot for a Shmup rep unless you want a Vic Viper with human legs(Sorry for that mental image by the way). Reimu though, being a humanoid Shmup rep, actually makes her way easier to implement. Bullet Hells may not be everyone's cup of tea but the fact Touhou is bullet hell does add some unique merits and gameplay possibilities if she were to get in.

Touhou, though is not the most well known in the West, yes. It's not this "Ultra obscure series only ten people know about" as quite a few people claim it is but if you ain't Internet savvy then you probably haven't heard of Touhou, even if many stuff related to it went viral. In Japan it's a juggernaut and people I know who went there seen something Touhou related, even if it's just a random billboard with Marisa on it or something. Indies in general haven't had too much success in Smash, even though Touhou has something most Indie games don't have: A long legacy since it's been around since the late 90's. Not many Indie series can actually say they've been around for 20+ years. The only other Indie series that can say they've been around for a while is Shantae and her series has been out since 2002.

It would be a bit of a disservice if we didn't get anything Touhou related considering how it's not even the most crazy thing you can add in Smash, especially since we have Warframe spirits and Fallout Boy as a costume now and ZUN is the easiest person to make negotiations with given how his series is very lax on copyright.

Just my two cents here since I saw this while scrolling through what I missed on posts.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Shmups as a genre has been around for a long time yet since most of the "characters" are ships, it's hard to justify a playable slot for a Shmup rep unless you want a Vic Viper with human legs(Sorry for that mental image by the way).
That's technically already a thing, and it's official to boot... or at least it is in Super Bomberman R...

Jokes aside though... we have :ultpiranha: in Ultimate as a fully playable character. If Sakurai and the developers can make a Smash moveset for that, I'm sure they could also make one for a "spaceship" character like the Vic Viper or the R-9A Arrowhead.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
That's technically already a thing, and it's official to boot... or at least it is in Super Bomberman R...

Jokes aside though... we have :ultpiranha: in Ultimate as a fully playable character. If Sakurai and the developers can make a Smash moveset for that, I'm sure they could also make one for a "spaceship" character like the Vic Viper or the R-9A Arrowhead.
Admittedly it'd be a bit fun to see a non humanoid ship be made into a fighter, if only to see how funny it'd be to see one of those on the battlefield fighting against the likes of Mario, Link, Snake, or Marth. It'd be extremely silly though but also fit the tone of Smash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
2 Platformers (Shantae & Bandana Dee)
2 Adventure/Action (Impa & Krystal [starfox adventure version])
1/3 Party Game (Ashley, Mona, or Kat & Ana)
3 RPG (Terra or Tifa, Kumatora & Kos-mos)

I'm not sure who else is part of my faves, I can think of a few.
I'm surprised to see so many put Reimu, but if she really could make it that'd be great.

I'm also surprised to see Kos-mos around, because I really like Xeno Saga, but II always thought of the series as a bit niche. Why do so many people know about it? :p

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Admittedly it'd be a bit fun to see a non humanoid ship be made into a fighter, if only to see how funny it'd be to see one of those on the battlefield fighting against the likes of Mario, Link, Snake, or Marth. It'd be extremely silly though but also fit the tone of Smash.
Personally, I'd expect the Viper's pilot fighting a la Fox or Captain Falcon, maybe with some Options helping him out.
2 Platformers (Shantae & Bandana Dee)
2 Adventure/Action (Impa & Krystal [starfox adventure version])
1/3 Party Game (Ashley, Mona, or Kat & Ana)
3 RPG (Terra or Tifa, Kumatora & Kos-mos)

I'm not sure who else is part of my faves, I can think of a few.
I'm surprised to see so many put Reimu, but if she really could make it that'd be great.

I'm also surprised to see Kos-mos around, because I really like Xeno Saga, but II always thought of the series as a bit niche. Why do so many people know about it? :p
I'd imagine it's mostly because she's the star of Xenoblade's predecessor and MonoSoft's mascot, so Xenoblade's popularity bled into Xenosaga's.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

• 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
My picks
  • 3 FPS's (Master Chief, Doomguy, Sylux)
  • 5 RPG's (Sephiroth, 2B, Lloyd, Sora, Isaac)
  • 5 Fighters (Heihachi, Kyo, Sol Badguy, Scorpion, Nakoruru)
  • 11 Action Adventures (Dante, Raiden, Lara Croft, Ghirahim, Impa, Akira, Hayabusa, Kratos, Travis, Jill Valentine, NIGHTS)
  • 2 Racers (Black Shadow, Mach Rider)
  • 2 Visual Novels (Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton)
  • 5 Platformers (Crash, Spyro, Waluigi, Shovel Knight, Rayman)
When it comes to my Top 10
  • 2 FPS's (Master Chief, Doomguy)
  • 2 RPG's (Sephiroth, Sora)
  • 5 Action Adventure's (Dante, Kratos, Hayabusa, Travis, Raiden)
  • 1 Platformer (Crash)
Honorable Mention: Sol Badguy

Last edited:
I feel like my gaming interests are going to be exposed making this list.

5 RPG (Isaac, Magnolia/Edea, Ludger, Siegmeyer, Jin)
3 Platformers (Bandana Dee, Toad, Zero)
2 Fighting Games (Linne/Enkidu, Hakumen)

Is Dark Souls considered an action RPG? It's like a cross between a character action game and a super old-school RPG, so I never know how to classify it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Personally, I'd expect the Viper's pilot fighting a la Fox or Captain Falcon, maybe with some Options helping him out.

I'd imagine it's mostly because she's the star of Xenoblade's predecessor and MonoSoft's mascot, so Xenoblade's popularity bled into Xenosaga's.
I knew there was a little bit of her in some other games, but didn't think it gave popularity to xeno saga. maybe they should port the games to the switch.
I don't think she's considered a mascot, but I guess she got enough rep somehow

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I feel like my gaming interests are going to be exposed making this list.

5 RPG (Isaac, Magnolia/Edea, Ludger, Siegmeyer, Jin)
3 Platformers (Bandana Dee, Toad, Zero)
2 Fighting Games (Linne/Enkidu, Hakumen)

Is Dark Souls considered an action RPG? It's like a cross between a character action game and a super old-school RPG, so I never know how to classify it.
I think Dark Souls would be classified as an action RPG, though I don't know enough to say for sure.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

• 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
Mine looks like this:

• 3 platformer reps (Eggman, Hat Kid, and a Kirby rep)
  • 1 adventure/action game rep (Kiryu)
  • 1 RPG rep (Yuri Lowell)
  • 1 sandbox rep (Steve)
  • 1 bullet-hell rep (Reimu)
  • 1 shooter rep (Octoling)
  • 2 puzzle reps (Arle Nadja and Gooigi)
  • 1 visual novel rep (Phoenix Wright)
Wow, when I look at it like this...I pull from all kinds of things, lol. Guess my tastes are a little all over the place. :p

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
2 Platformer (Dixie Kong, Shantae)
2 Action Adventure (Impa, Lara Croft)
4 RPGs (Sora, Terra, Lloyd Irving, Isaac)
2 Survival Horror (Jill Valentine, Leon Kennedy)
2 Visual Novel (Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton)
2 Puzzle (Arle, Lip)
1 Fighter (Chun-Li)
3 Shooter (Krystal, Reimu, Octoling)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I always forget about Arle. I'm sure if she made it in as a fighter she'd have a really cool gimmick, for it to feel like puzzling is part of it.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

• 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
for a better sample size, I expanded to the top 20.

Guardian, Spinel, Jedah

• 6 platformers (Bandana Dee, Megaman X, Marx, Kamek, Tails, Eggman)
  • 4 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful, Decidueye, Ninten)
  • 2 Puzzle (Maxwell, Arcade Bunny)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
  • 1 Hack and Slash (Dante)
  • 1 Third Person shooter (Octoling)
  • 1 open world (Guardian from BOTW)
  • 1 Tactics game (Jedah from Fire Emblem Echoes)
  • 1 Non-VG character (Spinel)
The big takeaway? Making a top 20 list is tough, some of these are stretches. Also still suprised at the platformer bias. I also didn't expect two puzzle rep, that's a genre I don't think of as a favorite, but I guess it is?

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Delete plz I misunderstood what he said

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What it is currently the most represented genre anyway and least represented?
If we're only counting genres that have representation in Smash, it's either first person shooters (:ultdarksamus: is probably the closest example, and that feels like it's pushing it), stealth games (:ultsnake:), or puzzle games. (:ultdoc:) Horror games and visual novels seem to have even less representation, with zero characters, but I'm sure there are plenty of examples like that.

For most represented, I'd have to guess that it's either platformers or RPGs, though I haven't exactly done a count. (Platformers seem to transfer naturally into a game like Smash Bros., and between Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Earthbound, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest, there are a ton of RPG characters in Smash)

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
What it is currently the most represented genre anyway and least represented?
From current playable characters:

RPG's have:

Fire Emblem (8 playable characters)
Pokemon (10 playable characters)
Dragon Quest (1 playable character with 3 different alternate skins that are different characters within the franchise)
Persona (1 playable character)
Xenoblade (1 playable character)
Final Fantasy (1 playable character)
Earthbound (2 playable characters

Platformers have:

Super Mario (9 playable characters not counting series like DK, Wario and Yoshi and Bowser Jr has the Koopalings which are 7 alternate skins)
Mega Man (1 playable character)
Pac-Man (1 playable character)
Kirby (3 playable charactera)
Castlevania (2 playable characters)
Ice Climber (1 playable character)
Sonic (1 playable character)
DK (3 playable characters)
Banjo-Kazooie (1 playable character)
Yoshi (1 playable character)
Metroid (4 playable characters)

Overall, platformers are the main represented genre. Racing only has one true rep and that's F-Zero with Captain Falcon. There are franchises that have roots and elements of both RPG's and Platformers, though (Zelda and Kid Icarus come to mind) and franchises with one game that is either an RPG or a platformer (Metal Gear with Snake's Revenge and the Metal Gear ACID games, Mario with Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG and Sonic with Sonic Chronicles).

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Even pokemon is rpg, and there's lots of pokemon in smash. Platformers are the most represented i think though. Mario, Kid Icarus, Kirby, and more. I'd count castlevania and megaman too.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I guess this would be my top ten right now.

2 Platformer (Dixie Kong, Crash Bandicoot)
2 Action Adventure (Dante, Ryu Hayabusa)
2 RPG (Sora, Geno)
1 Survival Horror (Leon Kennedy)
1 Fighting (Heihachi)
1 FPS (Doom Slayer)
1 Visual Novel (Phoenix Wright)

Flik

Smash Journeyman
genre distribution of my most wanters
Interesting.

3 Fighting games: Kazuya, Siegfried, Kyo
2 Action RPG: Adol, Miriam (?)
3 Turn Base: RPG: Geno, Tifa, Agnès/the 4 Bravely Default protagonists
2 Tactical RPG: Sakura, Celica
1 Beat'em Up: Captain Commando
2 Side Scroll Platformer: Dixie, X

Looks like I'd be more than OK with more JRPG characters :upsidedown:
You could count Sakura as an ARPG character as Sakura Amamiya is from an ARPG but Sakura Shinguji is from a JRPG
JRPG mean japanese role playing game, something both old and new Sakura Wars are. Old Sakura Wars is Tactical RPG like Fire Emblem, although I think it's more of a Visual Novel than that, not to mention dating sim.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Curious question to everyone. Who do you think is the most slept on or dark horse pick this Pass could have?
Third Party: Phoenix Wright and surprisingly Professor Layton, the latter of which I heard virtually no discussion at all.
First Party: Saki Amamiya from Sin & Punishment (his assist Trophy is missing and the base game has both his Mii Costume and Spirit.)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Interesting.

3 Fighting games: Kazuya, Siegfried, Kyo
2 Action RPG: Adol, Miriam (?)
3 Turn Base: RPG: Geno, Tifa, Agnès/the 4 Bravely Default protagonists
2 Tactical RPG: Sakura, Celica
1 Beat'em Up: Captain Commando
2 Side Scroll Platformer: Dixie, X

Looks like I'd be more than OK with more JRPG characters :upsidedown:

JRPG mean japanese role playing game, something both old and new Sakura Wars are. Old Sakura Wars is Tactical RPG like Fire Emblem, although I think it's more of a Visual Novel than that, not to mention dating sim.
Technically, you could count Miriam as a platformer or metroidvania rep, since metroidvanias are a subgenre of platformers.

Most represented genre I believe is RPG's with platformers being close.
Pretty much, but it depends on what you define as those genres. Without Fire Emblem (Tactical RPG) or Zelda (Nintendo insists on it) there's only 14 RPG characters. With FE that becomes 22. With Zelda it climbs to 28.
Platformer reps could be anywhere between 18 and 23/27 depending on what you consider a platformer and which games characters represent. e.g. are Metroidvanias platformers and is Pit technically a metroidvania rep because of his first game? Is Daisy a platformer rep or a spin-off rep?

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Pretty much, but it depends on what you define as those genres. Without Fire Emblem (Tactical RPG) or Zelda (Nintendo insists on it) there's only 14 RPG characters. With FE that becomes 22. With Zelda it climbs to 28.
Platformer reps could be anywhere between 18 and 23/27 depending on what you consider a platformer and which games characters represent. e.g. are Metroidvanias platformers and is Pit technically a metroidvania rep because of his first game? Is Daisy a platformer rep or a spin-off rep?
I think Metroidvanias count as platformers as you do go from platform to platform exploring the place. It does however have some RPG elements, in particular a franchise like Castlevania. But Castlevania started out as a platforming franchise. Kid Icarus with Uprising does have RPG elements. And Zelda is an action-adventure/RPG hybrid. Daisy would still be a platformer rep because Super Mario Land, spin-off or not, is a platform game. I think Pit could qualify as Metroidvania, but Kirby also has plenty of games where it is Metroidvania in design. Metal Gear also has RPG's with the Acid series and even a bit of 2D side scrolling platform elements with Snake's Revenge. There are a lot of variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom